NavTraffic a disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 07:27 AM
Go Big Blue!

NavTraffic a disappointment

I canceled the NavTraffic today. I was still under the trial period, but I had already signed up for XM and Traffic a few weeks ago while I was still on my "honeymoon" with the system. Now after experiencing it for about 6 weeks, I find it really doesn't work very well. The Accident reporting is not accurate at all based on several "incidents" that I passed on the road. I suppose that it takes time for the incident to get reported by the highway patrol and then work it's way through NavTeq's system onto my XM radio screen. By the time the accident is reported on my screen, it's usually already cleared. Then the icon sits there for another hour or so AFTER the accident is gone! Bottom line; you can't really use these icons for real time decision making. It just frustrates you instead of helping you

The flow data seems like a different story and would be GREAT since it doesn't rely on human intervention and sounds truly realtime. However, most of Florida doesn't have it yet. In fact, the only place in all of Florida that has the sensors is Tampa. I drive through Tampa maybe once or twice a year! The map on XM's website shows it in place mostly in the NE, Midwest, and CA, not much help for me.

Great idea, but not there yet. Kinda like cell phones 20 years ago.
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Agree with you, but I still have it. Posted many times before on this subject. I'm in SF, CA area and all the freeways have sensors, but the Flow as reported by Navteq is often 30 minutes or more out of date. There are other services through web sites that are much more up to date - pretty much real time. (Try Goggle Maps if you have a Windows Mobile phone.) Not sure why NavTeq is so slow. I have a suspicion it is the way their syste, "talks" to XM.
Old 06-14-2007 | 02:16 PM
Go Big Blue!

I agree the lag is hard to understand, especially with the flow data. I find very little value unless it's extremely accurate, otherwise, you'll always be questioning whether to take that "detour" or gamble and see what's REALLY going on at the problem spot reported by the nav system.

What makes it even less useful is the fact that there are so many web based traffic sites now (as you mentioned). Just check the web before venturing out after or before work. In fact, NavTeq owns NavTraffic.com. Even that sight seems more accurate, which is strange since it should be the same data sources. Also, when you move your cursor over the Traffic.com icons they tell you more info then the Acura icons. If it's construction it will tell you how long it will last. If the accident has already been cleared, it will say that.
Old 06-14-2007 | 02:48 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

I like it primarily because of the flow data. I agree that the incidents aren't always real time.
Old 06-14-2007 | 07:18 PM
Safety Car

GoHawks - my experience is that the Flow is out of date as well. I agree with Spicey in that you cannot make a decision based on the flow data. I have often seen Red on flow - yet traffic moving above speed limit and vice versa. As I am often driving in opposite direction of normal commute direction, I can compare Flow data to what I see in opposite direction and fairly accurately time how long before it is up to date. In many cases, Flow does not "catch up" for 30 to 45 minutes. By that time, its too late to be of any use.
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by getakey
GoHawks - my experience is that the Flow is out of date as well. I agree with Spicey in that you cannot make a decision based on the flow data. I have often seen Red on flow - yet traffic moving above speed limit and vice versa. As I am often driving in opposite direction of normal commute direction, I can compare Flow data to what I see in opposite direction and fairly accurately time how long before it is up to date. In many cases, Flow does not "catch up" for 30 to 45 minutes. By that time, its too late to be of any use.

From my experience, the flow data has been pretty accurate. Occasionally I'll run into a situation where it shows green, and it should be yellow, or vice versa. But I rarely if ever have run into a situation where it shows green and it should be red, or the other way around.

I do rely on it and trust it.
Old 06-15-2007 | 07:01 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Cool

I think the markets where NavTraffic shines is very scarce. I am fortunate to have awful traffic here in Tampa Bay, so we have good traffic reporting. Also, all of our major highways and malfunction junctions are under raod destruction. So the sensors are newly implanted and the traffic reporting mechanism seem to be up to speed. For that reason, I find NavTraffic a blessing. I can, however, understand RL owners is less developed traffic areas not appreciating NavTraffic or wanting to pay for the subscription.

It might make an interesting survey to see what areas report in well, and those that do not.
Old 06-15-2007 | 07:32 AM
Go Big Blue!

Interesting how the accuracy of the data seems to vary greatly from area to area and person to person. I suspect it will get better over time and 3-4 years from now it may be a totally different story. I'll keep monitoring it over the years.

As for me, I love technology and gadgets but this service is SO unusable that even I couldn't justify keeping it. It wasn't only the money ($50/year), it was also the little bit of stress it actually ADDS to your commute rather then take away. You see this icon and you then start asking; should I believe it?. If I believe it and take a detour (that will add 15 minutes to my drive) am I wasting my time avoiding something that isn't even there?

In the first 6 weeks I've had this car I've basically ignored the icons and drove my normal routes to see how accurate the data was. Seems to be wrong more then half the time. More then HALF the time? That's ridiculous. I could guess about the traffic ahead of me and probably be right at least half the time!!! Also, XM has an all traffic channel for Orlando which seems to be better.

Bottom line; if you can't feel confident in the data, then it's useless.
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I take only back roads to and from work so the traffic doesn't help me much but yesterday I was talking to my friend on the way home (bluetooth). He told me where he was heading. I told him not to go there.

He did.

He sat, unmoving for 20 minutes.

No, it's not perfect, but it can be helpful. Like you, I believe it will get better as time goes by...

LL
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I take only back roads to and from work so the traffic doesn't help me much but yesterday I was talking to my friend on the way home (bluetooth).

He told me where he was heading.

I told him not to go there.

He did anyway.

He sat, unmoving for 20 minutes.

No, it's not perfect, but it can be helpful. Like you, I believe it will get better as time goes by...

LL
Old 06-15-2007 | 08:45 PM
Instructor

nav traffic east sf bay area

navtraffic not all that useful in my area of sf bay area. let it expire at end of 1 yr free trial. I hope others will continue to keep us up to date. I find xmtraffic on xm radio or '511' traffic on my cell more useful than navtraffic. may restart service in future if they improve it.
Old 06-16-2007 | 11:25 AM
Racer

I am canceling on Monday. Not worth the extra charge on a monthly basis. Until they can make it real time, which will be next to impossible, I won't continue paying for the ooooh and ahhh factor.

Maybe in 2 years it might mature a little more.
Old 06-16-2007 | 11:39 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by static808
I am canceling on Monday. Not worth the extra charge on a monthly basis. Until they can make it real time, which will be next to impossible, I won't continue paying for the ooooh and ahhh factor.

Maybe in 2 years it might mature a little more.
I agree. It's probably just an oooh and ahhh feature right now. Something to show friends in your car.

I guess it doesn't need to be real-time, but at least within 10-15 minutes. I'd be happy if they could make it at least as good as their online version at Traffic.com. NavTeq recently purchased Traffic.com. Maybe they can learn a few things about how to deliver info in a meaningful way. That website shows more icon types to distinguish between minor and major incidents. Also, it gives more info and describes what the heck is going on. It tells you how many lanes are blocked (if any) and lets you know if the accident was cleared yet while leaving the icon on the screen for a while longer. All that's important. The info downloaded to the RL is very minimal and delayed. You can't make a decision with it. The feature is just not ready for primetime yet.
Old 06-16-2007 | 01:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

It is not an ooh ahh feature where it works. It assists me daily....and quite well. Navigation as a whole is not needed, but has value to many. And neither features are absolute, nor do I expect them to be. They are simply aids.

Again, I agree NavTraffic has little or no value where it does not function optimumly (especially for a fee), and even then you are relying on imperfect sources. But that does not make it an ooh ahh feature to those of us who utilize it and value it.

I do not value most modifcations, radar detectors or ipods. That does not make them ooh ahh accessories. It simply means it does not appeal to me.

I won't discount what value they have to others who utilize them.
Old 06-16-2007 | 02:32 PM
Go Big Blue!

From what I've read, it does seem to work better in some areas then others. Anyone reading this thread should probably discount the comments and try it out yourself to draw your own conclusions. Maybe it works good in your city.

I was referring to my particular situation. In Orlando, it's probably nothing more then an ooohh feature. Very high "cool" factor, but very much useless. At least at this point in time.
Old 06-17-2007 | 11:52 PM
Instructor

Of course everyone has wondered why the heck the nav system does not automatically reroute you around accidents and red flow zones. Most likely answer is because the system does not trust its own data to be accurate.
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:38 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by gdevine
Of course everyone has wondered why the heck the nav system does not automatically reroute you around accidents and red flow zones. Most likely answer is because the system does not trust its own data to be accurate.
Wow, it doesn't reroute? That makes it even more useless. The only situation where I was thinking it MIGHT be useful is if I was far out of town in an unfamiliar area. I figured it would change the calculated route based on the traffic info it had.

This feature is truly useless.
Old 06-18-2007 | 05:44 PM
Go Big Blue!

I've already decided I'm not signing up for this NavTraffic after my trial but I still have 4 weeks left so I'm still trying to use it.

There was a serious accident tonight on my way home. A fatal crash that had the entire street closed in both directions for 2 hours. Major disruption to this area of town. This is not a highway but still a major artery running right through the entire city (6 lane street). It was a mess. Think our beloved NavTraffic system even mentioned it? Nope.

I just checked Traffic.com (after I got home) and it was on their map with a big red exclamation point and a description of "Road CLOSED due to serious accident"

I looked for an emoticon that would express how I feel right now. Couldn't find one. Use you're imaginations.
Old 06-26-2007 | 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I too have posted regarding NavTraffic many times and I have been using it in LA CA since 05. Here, most of the roads have monitoring loops and still the display is useless.
It's a great idea that is badly implemented. As previously said, you are better off watching your local news or checking the web before you leave or from your phone. How about a BT link from your phone to the screen so that the web was available?
NavTraffic should be free until it works. What else can you pay for that does not come close to working as advertised?
Old 06-26-2007 | 04:15 PM
Go Big Blue!

yea, a Bluetooth link to display web content directly from your phone would be the best. All this stuff is on the web already. It's better, faster, and FREE.

This is really part of a bigger problem. How do you charge for "content" in this age. The internet has made information a commodity. Everyone is trying to charge for it but somehow it eventually leaks out onto the internet for free. It's a dilema for content providers. Ask britannicaor any newspaper about that problem.

Eventually, these integrated nav systems will probably go the way of the car phone. I suspect in another 4-5 years even the average "giveaway" cell phone will be powerful enough and capable enough to do realtime web browsing complete with integrated GPS systems and navigation. Hell, we're already there on some phones, it's just not everywhere yet so these "hardwired" systems are still sellable.