Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav Reboot

11/09/05,
I commute about an hour into NYC area. Last night 11/08/05 between 4:00PM and 5:00PM my nav rebooted like 7 times. Note that xm radio continued to play through out. Even when screen went black. After the fifth time I stopped hitting the OK button.

PS
I had the recalls done about 3 weeks ago. 2 out of the 3 anyway. Dealer said something about not having all parts.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluemule
There's another thread on this subject...

Did everyone make their car payment this month? Maybe it's an after Halloween Trick or Treat!! It was probably sent out before halloween and like some of the traffic flow is just now arriving!

I jest! <g>
Havne't read the forum in a while. But wanted to chime in that my Nav/Computer started doing the same thing about the same time. It doesn't do it everyday but its pretty annoying. It doesn't seem to do it when the Nav is currently navigating me some where.

And I to have not done any of the TSB's. Also my phone is not compatable with Acura Link so I don't think it could be something they have changed on the fly. But you never know.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
kgd
Instructor

My commute home last night was fine, no reboots vs. about 10 in the morning. Seems like is was something with XM and the way they were sending out there traffic data. Yesterday morning was the only time mine has ever rebooted, so I doubt it is a problem with the unit.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Is it fixed yet??

When my system rebooted the XM was on and it did not turn off during the reboot. The only way I know about the reboot was the initial screen showed up and I needed to click OK to make the navi screen work.

The rebooting has not recurred since yesterday afternoon. It's too early to say it is fixed [I was only in the car for about 30 minutes].

Are others still experiencing rebooting?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having major traffic display problems over the last 2 days. Showing nothing at all except for one period yesterday evening (we only get incidents in Orlando, no traffic flow). However, I am not getting any reboots, thankfully. Wonder if this is all related to the problems with the reboots or if my unit is defective. Guess I will wait a few days to see what happens.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also just spoke with ACS and they said that the engineers are working with navteq and XM in order to resolve the issue. She said that if you take two 05' RLs and place them next to each other both the navs will restart at the exact same time - which is how they determined it was an issue with the data and not the physical nav systems in our car. Hopefully they fix it soon
Old 11-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Racer

I just got my call from AHM this morning about my dealer experience etc. and at the end he asked me of there was anything I wanted to report or pass on to Honda or Acura dn I mentioned this issue and gave him the details so yeah, hopefully they will get it fixed. It sucks when you have a brand new car and you're showing your friends and the damn system keeps rebooting and making it look like sh!t.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:17 AM
BOZO

Originally Posted by spacklebucket
I have abou 2800 miles on my RL and I have not really had any probs with it. This evening, when I returned to the vehicle after work, I was informed that the car would not start. (I have an account at a garage where the car is parked and returned by a valet) I went down to where the car was and there was some power, but not enough to start the car. I had it jumped and thought possibly that the valet who parked the car had either not turned the car all the way off, or perhaps left an interior light on. However, on my way home the nav system rebooted about 6 times in 45 minutes. I did check to assure that the car would start again when I got it home and it did. I have had the Acura Link Module swapped as part of the 3 TSB update that lots of us had.
I have heard some stuff about this before, anyone had this kinda stuff happen AFTER having the big 3 TSB performed?
If this happens again or if the nav keeps rebooting, I'm obviously taking it back to the dealer.
PROBLEM IS WITH XM, AND IS NOT FIXED AS OF 11-10. DONOT TAKE TO DEALER , THEY CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT SOFTWARE FAULT CAUSED BY XM.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Rebooting 11-11-05 about 5pm Eastern

Looks like the problem is still out there. Anyone have issues around 5 p.m. Eastern Time yesterday? I had multiple reboots about every 5 minutes.

I've made the following observations:

1. The system rebooted several times on the way to my destination. (I was not in nav guidance mode and not in a nav traffic area).

2. I was listening to XM radio at the time. It stayed UP before after and during the nav reboot.

3. After parking (outside) I went into diag mode and everything looked OK (green). While in diag mode the system rebooted yet again.

4. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is to turn of the ignition completely for at least 10 seconds. After restarting the reboot problem is gone.

5. I have also found that the procedure I mentioned in #4 fixes the XM Radio switch back to channel 1.

6. I have not had any of the TSB's performed yet.

I am suggesting the following scenario:

Each time I have had a nav reboot and/or XM jump to channel 1, the car was started in my garage where I have marginal XM reception. Dose anyone think it's possible that "lost XM data" (due to the weak/non-exsistent signal) in my garage could be causing data corruption resulting in the nav reboot and/or XM jump to channel 1? I would hope that XM is sending some type of error checking packets and that the car would ignore any malformed or invalid data.

Can anyone confirm that when they experienced reboots or XM jump to channel 1 that their car was *started* out in the open with good XM reception?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Racer

I experienced reboots last night as well. About 7PM Houston time. Same situation as you described. I was outside for every reboot so weak XM reception was not as issue
Old 11-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfprl
I experienced reboots last night as well. About 7PM Houston time. Same situation as you described. I was outside for every reboot so weak XM reception was not as issue
I think he's suggesting that when the car is started indoors and then taken into a strong signal area, there might be problems. I'll start keeping track of that myself.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I had lots of problems 7-8 last night - I was using the nav to get somewhere too What a PITA.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Advanced

I too continue to experience the system reboot. Thursday evening, Friday evening and so on. I called the Acura Dealer in the Philly area but they say they can't help unless they actually "see" the reboot happen. Obviously, that's impossible since it's completely at random.

However, after each reboot, my XM is fine. I notice some of you are also experiencing XM issues after the reboot.

Should we band together and all alert Acura Customer Service??
Old 11-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Paul - ACS already knows and has said their engineers are working with XM and Navteq to fix it.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Reboots/Live Traffic

I've experienced a few reboots, after the updates. None lately. Mainly I do not and have not got live traffic. No Icons, no incidents, nothing before or after updates. Los Angeles - Inland Empire area. XM Refreshes accomplish nothing. Yes Icons are turned on and the live traffic bar is there. Another trip to the dealer coming up.
Judging by the number of threads on this, I don't feel too bad. If at the end of the free year, these problems still exist, I wonder how many will sign up to pay for this lack of reliability ? Not me.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Pro

I have not had any additional rebooting issues since my last post on 11/9, so for the moment it seems to have been solved, at least for the Socal area.

I might suggest that if others still have the problem they may be getting their signal from a different satelitte which still is sending random data.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cyler
Looks like the problem is still out there. Anyone have issues around 5 p.m. Eastern Time yesterday? I had multiple reboots about every 5 minutes.

I've made the following observations:

1. The system rebooted several times on the way to my destination. (I was not in nav guidance mode and not in a nav traffic area).

2. I was listening to XM radio at the time. It stayed UP before after and during the nav reboot.

3. After parking (outside) I went into diag mode and everything looked OK (green). While in diag mode the system rebooted yet again.

4. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is to turn of the ignition completely for at least 10 seconds. After restarting the reboot problem is gone.

5. I have also found that the procedure I mentioned in #4 fixes the XM Radio switch back to channel 1.

6. I have not had any of the TSB's performed yet.

I am suggesting the following scenario:

Each time I have had a nav reboot and/or XM jump to channel 1, the car was started in my garage where I have marginal XM reception. Dose anyone think it's possible that "lost XM data" (due to the weak/non-exsistent signal) in my garage could be causing data corruption resulting in the nav reboot and/or XM jump to channel 1? I would hope that XM is sending some type of error checking packets and that the car would ignore any malformed or invalid data.

Can anyone confirm that when they experienced reboots or XM jump to channel 1 that their car was *started* out in the open with good XM reception?
The Nav reboot has nothing do with XM or GPS reception at the time of engine start. I start my car every morning in a garage, and every evening in an open parking lot.

The problem happens more in the evening then it does coming out of my garage in the mornings. I don't think this is XM satelite radio related or GPS related because GPS doesn't send data just timing as far as I understand the technology.

I would have to say the problem lies with the XM Traffic signal. What ever the issue it is quite annoying and doesn't sell the car very well when people are riding in the car and they ask whats wrong with your GPS.

Acura needs to make an anouncment about this problem soon. As in a month ago.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fab06

Acura needs to make an anouncment about this problem soon. As in a month ago.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

I had the reboot problem in the Baltimore area between 5 and 6 PM last Friday (11-11-05). It really looks to be car-independent, and a product of the XM satellites. I was on the road all day Saturday and never had a reset.

When it happened it was embarrasing to explain to my passengers. We were going to dinner and I had been gushing about how great the car was. I'd say it's nothing a dealer could fix, but given how hard they push XM traffic as a discriminator for the RL, something they better get fixed soon. You begin to wonder how many other things can go wrong.....
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Racer

I got a call last night from an XM rep. I had my cellphone off so he left a message unfortunately. More unfortunate was the fact that the message was 100% useless. Something about the location of the antenna and how they are sending me all the data so if it's not working go to the dealer and they'll replace the unit blah blah blah. Of course I called back this morning and made clear that I wasn't happy that they can't even communicate the issue clearly to the folks that make these calls. The woman I talked to could tell I was upset so she seemed to pay close attention to what I said should be in the trouble ticket (2 reboots within 10 minutes, other people have this problem too). It's amazing what they will write down if you don't spell it out for them. Somehow the first attempt turned into 'the system is rebooting all the time'. Sigh. I guess it's scary that they aren't even surprised that someone would log a ticket like that.

Hopefully next time I get to talk to the rep 'live'.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 AM
BOZO

Nav Reboot

Problem With Reboot Is With Xm Radio. Software Issue Started 11-2 And Is Still Present 11-16. Don`t Take To Your Dealer, They Cant Do Anything About It.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From my experience on the NAV reboot, its the XM traffic NOT the XM Radio that is causing this strange issue.

Yesterday, I clicked on the yellow ! icon on a specific road to see the issue. At first, it just gave me the road. I clicked a few times and finally when it processed, the NAV rebooted.

After reboot, the yellow ! icon was gone. NAV traffic was functioning and no more reboots.

Very strange, so to me, its the XM Traffic, I guess. I am sure Acura will figure it out. I just hope they give us another year free, or better yet, XM gives us another year free.

Nissan/Infiniti models will be getting XM Traffic soon, so we should get some free service for testing the system.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Advanced

i am gettintg delivery of my 06 w tech package tomorrow
i called acura and asked about the nav traffic reboots
the lady didnt say so directly but itis looking like theyu may give us some extra time on nav traffic
persue it
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro

Problem not fixed....Acura not helpful

Last night I experienced another rebooting problem. It is the first difficulity I have had since 11/9. What ever the issue is it is back in Southern California.

Are others still having problems? Any word of how to have the problem corrected?

By the way,

Acura Client Services has been of zero help. They basically said they had made a record of the issue but had no fix for the problem. Thanks a lot Acura!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I havn't had problems for a couple weeks. But it may just be the timing - my commute is usuallya bout 30 minutes each way on a daily basis.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 AM
10th Gear

Update

Originally Posted by RWSAMO
I had the 3 TSB installed earlier, The dealership told me these were updates to those TSB's. I think what he was saying is that Acura screwed up on the original TBS's and re-issued them with the corrections. I should also note that I had the complete XM module and the XM and GPS antenna replaced when the 2nd updates were installed. My guess is that the combination of all the above corrected my problem with the rebooting. I will keep an eye on it. So far everything looks good, only time will tell.
Since posting my problem back in September, I have had no problems with my RL's navigation system or the XM radio. The dealership even followed up with me twice. It nice to have a dealership that doesn't give you the run around.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RWSAMO
Since posting my problem back in September, I have had no problems with my RL's navigation system or the XM radio. The dealership even followed up with me twice. It nice to have a dealership that doesn't give you the run around.
Yeah my salesman has called me 2-3 times as well to see if I was still having the reboot problem but same as you, I have not thankfully.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:05 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
Yeah my salesman has called me 2-3 times as well to see if I was still having the reboot problem but same as you, I have not thankfully.
It wasn't the salesman that called me. It was the service department. The salesman couldn't care less. He got his commission.