Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok not trying to sound like a dumbass here just thinking of ways to isolate the problem and avoid a trip to the dealer if possible. Did anyone who was experiencing this reboot problem try shutting off the navtraffic feature on there navigation. Because if that was disabled and the systems where still rebooting than it may not be a problem with xm and is a software problem. If navtraffic is disabled does it stop all the connection from the vehicles module to the xm traffic data server you think?You know when the icon is un highlighted or do you guys think that it still recieves the info but just does not display it.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had to *guess* I would say that the displays are just disabled but the nav still rcvs the data - not sure though.

This thread talking only about the nav rebooting and not the drained battery so I am going to merge this with the other thread regarding the rebooting issue.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
For those who mentioned their locations, it sounds as if they're in areas where NavTraffic is available. I live in the Denver area, which does not have NavTraffic, and did not note this issue last night. Just wondering if this happened to anyone in an area without NavTraffic coverage?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by vp911
Seems strange. I know acura has bought back a few of the RLs because of constant power drainage. I would suggest taking it to the dealer to have it checked out.
I appears that when you moved this topic (merged) the original dates of the posts were lost, unless of course all these problems happened yesterday and today?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Instructor

This is why I LOVE this forum, even if it is a "guy thing" (oops, that's another thread). My nav system rebooted 4 times in about 12 minutes last night making me very nervous about some sort of failure in the car. Now I know that it happened to a large number of us it sort of makes me feel better.

Everything seems normal again today. Navtraffic is visible again and no reboots.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

I live in the Seattle area and did experience the reboots. I supected it may be related to NavTraffic and disabled the overlay on my nav. The reboots continued to occur. My guess is that even with the overlay disabled the system probably continues to receive the traffic data.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PeterL1
Ho do you enter this screen?
CAVEAT: Several folks have said to not do anything while in the diagnostic screen!!

I backed out of the screen by hitting cancel several times to completely exit...I hope this is the right way to back out.

Fred

A few days ago Larryka posted in "Cool finds and features of the RL" thread:

"While playing around in the navigation system diagnostic mode, I found a screen that shows the current DC voltage. It would have been nice if it was shown on the MID, but I guess Acura thought an idiot light was enough.

Obviously, when you go into the diagnostic mode you do so at your own risk...

1. Enter diagnostic mode by pressing "Map/Guide", "Menu" and "Cancel" all at the same time for three seconds or more.
2. Go to XM(HIP)
3. Go to XM(HIP) ECU
4. Go to Telematics Self Diagnosis
5. The voltage is listed on this screen.

When I had my engine running with lights on, the reading was around 13.83V, when the engine was off with the lights on it was around 11V, with the engine off and the lights off it went back up to around 11.80V."

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=voltage

http://tinyurl.com/d4e2g
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
For what it's worth, last night, I went out after dark and entered the diagnostics screen to check my battery voltage. I had just printed out a recent post on how to enter the screen. I didn't do anything but check the voltage and back out of diagnostic mode. While sitting there in accessory mode, listening to the radio, and fiddling with nav screen colors and brightness and darkness settings, the system rebooted several times. I figured it was because I had been in diagnostics and that everything would be ok when I cranked up and got to moving this morning.

Reckon I'll stay in tune also! BTW, I've not had any of the TSB's done.
I left out early this morning and just returned home...only a total of about 85 miles today, but everything seemed normal...no reboots that I noticed. With the cooler weather, I am noticing that the NAV screen seems to take longer to brighten up from a cold start.

Last night when I experienced the reboots, I didn't have my Razr linked.

As I recall, just after the reboot, the screen would black out.

I don't live within 300 miles of any place that gets NavTraffic/incidents...so I've never seen that option in action on my RL.

As I stated, I've not had any of the TSB's performed on my RL...waiting for next oil change...serial number in the 7,000's.

OT but following up on why I was sitting in the car last night: Acura is right...the default screen colors are easier to read, but I kind of liked the blue today for a change! Last night was my first foray into changing the screen colors, and I only did that for menu colors...think I'll leave the nav colors alone.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

If I wanted to file a report to honda....where do I have to call so they can do an inquiry on this incident. Thanks again
Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
For those who mentioned their locations, it sounds as if they're in areas where NavTraffic is available. I live in the Denver area, which does not have NavTraffic, and did not note this issue last night. Just wondering if this happened to anyone in an area without NavTraffic coverage?
Northeastern Pennsylvania here. Don't have NavTraffic coverage here (closest is Philly or NYC). The rebooting problem occurred here, though. But, everything back to normal today.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Racer

I had a reboot this morning in the Houston area . About 7AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Mine and a co-workers of mine did the same thing last night, at the exact same time. I did not have any issues today, but I did notice that the nav screen flickers when the nav traffic is downloaded which is done at the same frequency that it rebooted last night.

I had the suspicion that the nav traffic was the issue, and I feel pretty confident now that it was it.

Any other thoughts?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Instructor

My Navi system re-booted over and over, roughly every five minutes, all night on 11/2/2005, Wednesday night. Both on the way to and from the Chicago Bulls game. I was wondering if there was some crazy thing going on like a solar flare or something, because my cell phone AND my friend's cell phone both kept turning off, then back on by themselves...

Oh, and my XM radio STILL isn't working right after being "fixed" two weeks ago. ACS told me they would call me TODAY, but that hasn't happened yet.

Randy
Old 11-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Yep - Mine rebooted last night around 7:45pm EST.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
mwm
Advanced

UPDATE FROM ACURA Client Services

I called ACS and reported the problem yesterday. They called me back today and said that they had identified the problem as an XM problem and had received numerous reported claims of the rebooting problem. They asked me to provide to them the approximate time of the problem, and they were coordinating information sharing with XM. They said that XM had resolved the issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Racer

Thanks for the update. I'll call them as well.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Racer

I had 8-10 reboots this morning on the way to work from about 7:10am-7:35am PDT. It was almost rebooting as soon as it came up and I acknowledged it.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
I had 8-10 reboots this morning on the way to work from about 7:10am-7:35am PDT. It was almost rebooting as soon as it came up and I acknowledged it.
Yep, got my first reboot this morning about 8:45am MT. I was on a quick trip to my son's school, and hadn't even acknowledged the disclaimer screen. No Navtraffic coverage in the Denver area, so don't think the reboot is related to that service.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Got my first look at this problem today. 7 reboots between 7:45 and 8:30 Pacific Time.

Its clearly not resolved.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Rebooting in Southern California

I just got the TSBs done and the XM replaced on Friday. It took XM 3 days to get the XM working. Finally yesterday PM they got it going. This AM on my ride to work the nav rebooted 3 or 4 times. I'm in Southern California.

I'm going to call Acura to see what they have to say.

Is it everyone's conclusion that this is related to XM rather than some problem with the new radio unit that was installed under the TSBs?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I just got the TSBs done and the XM replaced on Friday. It took XM 3 days to get the XM working. Finally yesterday PM they got it going. This AM on my ride to work the nav rebooted 3 or 4 times. I'm in Southern California.

I'm going to call Acura to see what they have to say.

Is it everyone's conclusion that this is related to XM rather than some problem with the new radio unit that was installed under the TSBs?
I have not had my XM unit replaced under the TSB and did experience the reboot
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Same here, multiple reboots on the way to work this morning. 8:15 - 8:30 PST.

Yay Acura!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
KHC
Intermediate

~ 5 reboots this morning ~ 8:15 to 9:00 am PST (Los Angeles Area)
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Don't know if this counts, but I have totally lost Traffic, tried refreshing via XM Customer Service and the xmradio/refresh web page to no avail. The scale on the bottom of the screen that tells you if you are in the traffic mode is gone completely and just has the numbers without the black traffic bar. I have not had the reboots however. I did have the TSB performed.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spacklebucket
I have abou 2800 miles on my RL and I have not really had any probs with it. This evening, when I returned to the vehicle after work, I was informed that the car would not start. (I have an account at a garage where the car is parked and returned by a valet) I went down to where the car was and there was some power, but not enough to start the car. I had it jumped and thought possibly that the valet who parked the car had either not turned the car all the way off, or perhaps left an interior light on. However, on my way home the nav system rebooted about 6 times in 45 minutes. I did check to assure that the car would start again when I got it home and it did. I have had the Acura Link Module swapped as part of the 3 TSB update that lots of us had.
I have heard some stuff about this before, anyone had this kinda stuff happen AFTER having the big 3 TSB performed?
If this happens again or if the nav keeps rebooting, I'm obviously taking it back to the dealer.
I had the same problem on my RL. I call the dearlership and they informed me to bring the car in. There are 3 software updates that needed to be installed. After the updates were in place the problem went away. Contact you dealer.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Instructor

RWSAMO, are you saying there are 3 "new" software updates after the big 3 TSBs? Sorry, just trying to be clear here.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my RL service for the XM rebooting. They told me that there were no errors found in the RL computer... but when I drove home from the dealer..it rebooted again. I don't know what else to say...but $%%^~! I hope other people have an answer to this problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Racer

Mine just rebooted 3-4 more times during lunch.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine just rebooted....
Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

Mine did too. 1.15 and 1.25 PM PST. I called XM and after some haggling she agreed to have someone call me back when I objected to yet another 'refresh' being sent. I haven't called Acura yet.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Mine did too. 1.15 and 1.25 PM PST. I called XM and after some haggling she agreed to have someone call me back when I objected to yet another 'refresh' being sent. I haven't called Acura yet.
Mine rebooted as well, at 4:40 PM EST for the first time, and 5 minutes later again. What is going on?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
kgd
Instructor

Mine also rebooted conitnuously until I just left it off this morning between about 7:15 and 8:00. I also lost traffic once it came back up (except one time the traffic also came back). I am in the SF Bay Area. This is the first time it has rebooted since I purchased the car about 2 months ago.

Is this a problem with XM sending some kind of signal the Nav unit?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
What Acura Client Services says......

FYI

Acura Customer Service just confirmed that the rebooting is not a problem with anything in the car. It is just coincidence that Acura is replacing the XM radios under the TSB. It is coming from the XM satellites. Apparently they are sending some spurious data which the car does not recognize and therefore it causes the unit in the car to reboot.

Acura is aware of the problem is working with XM to get it resolved. There is nothing the dealers can do. XM has to solve the issue in their satellites.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
FYI

Acura Customer Service just confirmed that the rebooting is not a problem with anything in the car. It is just coincidence that Acura is replacing the XM radios under the TSB. It is coming from the XM satellites. Apparently they are sending some spurious data which the car does not recognize and therefore it causes the unit in the car to reboot.

Acura is aware of the problem is working with XM to get it resolved. There is nothing the dealers can do. XM has to solve the issue in their satellites.
I suppose a 'Duh' is in order here. Everything so far pointed at a data related problem. Nothing Acura can fix until whichever part of the software that croaked gets replaced. Of course the problem is not in the XM sats either. They just relay data.

So there are two problems (I think I wrote them up before):

- XM is sending us bogus data (or XM is forwarding bogus data from their supplier)
- some piece of software that processes the data does not do sufficient error checking and reboots instead of rejecting the data. I don't think we can tell if it's the XM unit or the nav system. If anyone remembers if their XM radio kept playing while the nav box rebooted that would be an indication only the nav system crashed.

The one good thing is that at least the system restarts after crashing. It could have hung requiring a reboot. That would really really suck.

I hope everyone who experiences this keeps calling Acura and XM to express their dissatisfaction. They need to know that we're unhappy.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

My CD was playing, not XM - so I can't speak for that.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
My CD was playing, not XM - so I can't speak for that.
Same here. I'm about to leave work though and will listen to XM and see what happens when it reboots, which it probably will.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wife reported that from 10.30 to 11.30AM EST today, our navi rebooted several times.

She was listening to the radio, and not XM.

We had all the TSB's completed 3 weeks ago.

WTF??
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Racer

I also had reboots, but my Xm radio function was unaffected. Based on the postings, my guess is that it is a signal problem from the XM satellite, which would explain the lack of coorelation with the TSB updates (or anything else on the car itself). In every case, my traffic function was restored following the reboot, and I have yet to have the TSB fixes applied. IMHO, the XM traffic link is a work in progress, and they are still working out the bugs.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
kgd
Instructor

I believe it is a problem with the XM Traffic portion that causes the problem not the XM radio. I have not had a problem until today and we are all experiencing the same problem. I suspect that the XM traffic folks made some changes to the traffic data being sent to the unit in the car that caused a problem requiring a reboot by the system. Hopefully this means that they are continuing to improve the reliability of the traffic info. I have called them several times to report inconsistencies (such as the traffic flow information reversed on the map display on certain sections of the freeway) and have did not feel real confident that they really understood what I was telling them.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
RWSAMO, are you saying there are 3 "new" software updates after the big 3 TSBs? Sorry, just trying to be clear here.
I had the 3 TSB installed earlier, The dealership told me these were updates to those TSB's. I think what he was saying is that Acura screwed up on the original TBS's and re-issued them with the corrections. I should also note that I had the complete XM module and the XM and GPS antenna replaced when the 2nd updates were installed. My guess is that the combination of all the above corrected my problem with the rebooting. I will keep an eye on it. So far everything looks good, only time will tell.

Quick Reply: Navigation system reboot - possible problem identified on page 4