Navigation code

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Navigation code

First of all, I'm moonrider and this is my first post and am glad to have found such a great forum. I am on my 3rd Acura and have encountered a problem with my 05 RL. The battery started to die and I replaced it today and used the code for the radio with no prob. The nav sys. asked for a pin and here is the prob. When we purchased the car the dealer said not to enter a pin so we did'nt. Called dealer and spoked to serv. rep. who said to enter 1234 or 0000. That did'nt work. The wife kept trying and now the nav sys screen comes on then flashes the enter pin screen for 1/2 second then goes dark. I have tired rebooting, disconecting batt. Still does the same thing. Anyone with any ideas? Otherwise I'll take it to the dealer but our dealer here has a bad rep with service.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call any Acura dealer with your vin# (and hopefully your Nav serial #) and they can access your info and give you your pin #.
late in the day call a California dealer.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
heres what you need to do. turn the radio off and hold disc buttons 1 and 6 together and turn the radio on at the same time. the serial code for the radio should pop up and clal the local dealer with that number and it will save you a trip to the dealer and a fee
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get the code from the car itself.

However, I won't post on a public forum to tell you how. Acura dealership should know what to tell you to do. It's not 1234 or 0000... that's BS.

Alternatively, post an email address and I will email you how. Since your a newbie you can't use PM yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
you can also go to myacura.com and set up a profile for your car. You will need your VIN. You can get the NAVI code from that website.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the replys. But I still have the problem that the nav sys goes to a blank screen, I could not imput the nav code.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

Steve,my email is: windancer@hotmail.com Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Just emailed you how to get the codes. Unfortunately, the Nav. may be in lock up mode due to multiple incorrect pin code entries. I don't know and my manual is not handy. I looked for all of 5 minutes.

Can anybody chyme in if a lock up mode exist due to multiple incorrect pin code entries?

If the Nav. system does do this... How to reset and get the enter pin code screen back?

Maybe the Nav. system has to be reset separately from the car reset. I would try disconnecting bat. for one hr.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Just to clarify, there are two codes. One is the NAVI code, needed to activate the NAVI. There is also an option to add a PIN code which protects access to your address book once the NAVI is booted.

Likely your wife's multiple attempts locked the system. Unless steve's suggestion works, it may require a dealer visit.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If NO PIN was entered previously (which is the factory default) then NOTHING should be entered on that screen.

You would simply toggle the interface dial DOWN to select USE NO PIN on that screen.

I know you say it only flashes a half second, but maybe you tried to enter a PIN when none was there previously. Try bypassing that screen (toggle down which selects NO PIN option).

If that does not work, I would think your NAVI is locked from the multiple PIN entries.

You could try disconnecting the battery again for a few and see if it clears it.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Steve, have disconnected batt. will try in 1hr and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

Ok. After waiting an hour, the enter pin # comes back up. There is no optional "Use no Pin" and when I enter the nav code it says improper pin. Now I think I need to reset the pin # even though I have never set up or entered a pin # before. Anyone know how to change a pin#? The manual is not clear on this.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Is the radio code that I emailed you about the same radio code as what you had been entering?

If the radio PIN code is different from the original radio PIN code then I suspect the Nav. is not original either.

I would be willing to bet that to reset the PIN you need prior PIN (Which apparently you do not have).

Prior owner could have changed PINS and this could mean trouble. A master code may exist at Dealership for service reasons. So they could work on a Nav. without the owners PIN.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Steve, thanks for your help. I believe you are right about the previous owner chaning the pin. When we purchased the car we could not access the setup or enter any personal info without the pin #. The dealer said they had to order a special part to change the pin #. They installed it and told us not to utilize the pin # as people ten to forget them. So we did as they said. I think they changed something so that the orignal nav code will not work and that is why I cannot access the sys. On another note. I did not get your email as I gave you an incomplete address. The correct one is: windancer29@hotmail.com Again thanks for your help. I am presently waiting ( 6hrs. now) for the service rep. to return my phone call from this morn. I have tried to call him once this aft. but no luck. Like I said tha Acura dealer we have here has the worst service dept.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Instructor

You really need to get this straightened out. You/service personnel will want to disconnect the bat. at times and based on what I've read, disconnecting the bat. results in a locked up nav. Obviously, during the cars lifetime the bat. must be unplugged. Unplugging the bat. should not disable your nav.

I will email how to get the cars original radio, nav., and serial #. Go do it! I just sent you the email again.These will be the most accurate original codes to your car's radio, nav., and nav. serial number.

Yesterday, you said the radio code you have works. Is that the same radio code you get from my email instructions? If it is, we know that the radio is original.

Yesterday, after you got the "enter nav. code" screen back up, you said that you tried the nav. code but it did not work. At this time, you did not have the nav. code from my way because because the email address was not correct.

Therefore, I assume you obtained the nav. code by other means. However you did it, you should have been required to provide the serial number. Where did this serial number come from? Did it come from the nav. screen center stack button method (as a fellow Acurazine member advised in this thread). You need to retrieve serial number by this method. It gives you the serial number of the actual nav. unit in your car. The unit may not be original. Verify that the serial numbers are the the same: The serial number by my method and the serial number that appears on the nav. screen. If serial numbers are the same, the nav. system is the original one that came with the car. If it's the original, the nav. pin obtained by my method will work unless a prior owner changed the PIN.

At this point you will be able to get the nav. back going because you have the original code or know if the prior owner changed the code. If the prior owner changed the code, you will have to go see the dealer. Guess which one is you!

I presume a prior owner changed the code and the dealer you purchased it from did something to get it working. Albeit once the bat. is disconnected, it locks up and your back in the same boat. This is not fully corrected...it is "Rigged Up".

The only acceptable fix at the dealer is that the nav. works even after the battery is unplugged. I would not care about a nav. code as long as I could unplug bat. and after reconnecting the nav. was still usable.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:44 PM
10th Gear

Steve, there is no lable on any side of that cover on my car. And the service rep never did return my call. When ever I call I always get the service dept. voice mail.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Also, the radio code that is in the owners book did work. But the 4 digit nav code does not.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

I mean label. My bad spelling.....
Old 10-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Instructor

The nav. code is 5 digits. I am surprised you did not see the label. This is just not for the RL all Acuras supposedly have the label at this location. Mine and my wife's do

Can you get the serial number for the nav. (using center stack buttons) and then register with my Acura.com and get the original pin code. It will be 5 digits.

Try that.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Instructor

You did remove the cover and look underneath it? You have to remove the cover and look on the back of it. If it's not present this tells me that PIN has been changed or nav. is not original. Someone removed label since the information is null due to the change in pin or nav. unit.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Ok, after doing some searching I found the nav sys ser# on the dvd unit. I then used MYAcura with the vin# to get the code. The unit had been changed. The new code # is different than the orignal one on file there, it is a 4 digit #. Anyway it's working now, I want to thank everyone who helped me with this problem. The wife is happy now. Whe has no sense of direction. You know you would think that the dealership would have told me about the new code when we purchased the car.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by stevesrl

However, I won't post on a public forum to tell you how. Acura dealership should know what to tell you to do. It's not 1234 or 0000... that's BS.

Alternatively, post an email address and I will email you how. Since your a newbie you can't use PM yet.
Hi stevesrl, can I get this instruction as well my e-mail dmialex2000@yahoo.com thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Same here, can I please get these instructions as well?

I'm not changing my battery at the moment, but I don't want to be stuck without music or navi when that time does come.

But one question: I spoke with the previous owners on the phone yesterday, and they directed me to look at two text-only stickers on the inside left lid of the glove box. One has a five-digit number, and below it an 8-digit number.

The sticker right below it has a four-digit number on top, and another serial with letters and numbers beneath it.

I'm assuming one is the radio code and serial (probably the bottom one, with letters and numbers), and I'm worried that since it was such a recent purchase from a private seller that the Acura website won't have my records yet.

Not to mention, I tried to get at the DVD unit in my trunk but I couldn't remove that carpet for the life of me, so how to get its serial # would be greatly appreciated.

My email is duodsg@gmail.com. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Just kidding- I was able to find the codes with some sleuthing on my part. Turns out those stickers were my serial numbers and anti-theft codes.

Of course, those are going to be promptly removed. Not a smart idea for whatever previous owner to put them there.

Thanks for your help guys, I really do appreciate the time you took to write in the thread before I even found it because it pointed me in the right direction.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I just had the same issue. I attempted too many 4 digit codes and it locked me out. I tried disconnecting the battery for over a half hour still no good.

I turned the engine off and removed the key to make sure everything turned off. I held the cd disc buttons #1 and #6 at the same time (constant pressure) and then turned the engine on - after the navigation start up screen the the screen to input the code came back on. I was then able to enter the 4 digit code and everything was back to normal. The code for the radio is a 5 digit number that you input thru the cd disc buttons 1 thru 6.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Any tips for finding the navigation code? I don't have that handy little cheat sheet that came with the car, and looking at the DVD unit in the trunk I don't see an obvious place where the sticker would be.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
i just ran into this problem, some tips would try looking in the glove box inside walls, check ur owners manual for a card with the navi code, look under the hood in the fusebox lid. i personally did not find it in any of those locations and had to pay dealer $125 to take out the navi and retrieve the serial number to get navi code. i hope you find it in your rl.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
there's a "hidden" manual holder in the glove box. Button is at the top which opens the holder. See if codes are with the manual if it is in there
Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Turns out it was in the fuse box. Woot!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

So I just ran into a similar problem last night. My wife was at work and when she went to leave but apparently needed a jump. Haven't had any previous battery issues but I do realize these things happen. Nonetheless car came on and radio didn't request a pin but now the nav screen is asking for a pin code. About a year ago I had to input the radio pin randomly and after getting the pin for that I've never had to use it again. If there is any way you can email me the steps you sent to the other member I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
You might want to send them a message since this thread is over a year old.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
7th Gear

Hey, noob here. I called the dealer for my NAV pin, in order to mess with the personal settings... But the code they gave me is not working. Should I disconnect the battery, in order to reset it? I dont know if previous owner changed pin, from the original...I have a 03 CLS..
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Look :noob:...

You're in the wrong section. The CL guys may be more help. That said, disconnecting the battery will only lead you back to a pin request and throw a radio code in to boot
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, I was just responding to your PM... not sure how CL's work my friend.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Well, don't I feel silly.

EDIT:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
FYI - the nav code for most honda/acura navigation systems is FOUR characters, and on the 2G RL, it is entered using the rotary knob and the screen. The Radio code is FIVE characters, and on the 2G RL is entered using the radio preset buttons.

At least thats how it was for me this weekend when I installed my wood steering wheel
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Unhappy navigation

I just brought a 1999 rl an the navigation isn't working how do I reprogram it also my abs;tcs and srs senors light are on can someone help me. thankyou acura family
Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

welcome.

Do you have the disc in it?
Is it powering on at all?
What does the screen say?
Have you reset your battery?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Navigation code

I know this is old, but do you still have th instructions to retrieve the Navigation serial number/code for a 2006 RL?
htbranch@verizon.net
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Did you look in the "secret" compartment in the glove box. There's a latch which opens place where manual is kept.

Quick Reply: Navigation code