NAV not displaying real time traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
NAV not displaying real time traffic

Had a problem with my car battery not holding a charge, wouldn't start in cold weather, battery was only 2.5 yrs old. Took it to the dealer, they said they would check for parasitic power leaks, which I think means they unplugged various electrical harnesses to see if they could find some sort of intermittent short. They discovered the CCA of the battery was only 274, was supposed to be 750, replaced the battery. But when I drove home the NAV system would not display real time traffic or accident icons. I did diagnostics on NAV unit before taking it back to the dealer, found no issues, they've had it for 3 days now and said the NAV unit is bad and want $3,000 to replace it!?! I think they might have fried a circuit in the unit with static electricity while they were unplugging and plugging stuff back in, but of course I can't prove it - all I know is it worked perfectly fine before it went into their shop, and when I got it back the first time NAV traffic was broke, refreshing XM signal did nothing. I did some research and found some odd but perhaps promising tricks to try - I'm sure as heck not spending that much money on a13-14 yr old car just to get real time traffic back - has anyone tried these tricks and had success in restoring traffic to the NAV display?

1. They must completely remove/deactivate your radio from the system. Once you confirm it's off and only getting preview programming they add the radio back. Once it updates and audio returns the traffic and weather follow about 2-5 minutes later.

2. So today I tried the trick with pulling fuse # 5 from the driver's side main fuse box for half a minute or so and voila! I got traffic, a couple of minutes later I had HFL dial from the POI screen and finally Messages.

Note: After pulling and replacing the # 5 fuse you will be prompted to enter the Nav and radio codes then you will be instructed to start the car and move to an open position so that the Satelite can communicate with the car. This may take about 10 minutes.

3. I went to the maitenance menu in the navigation that you get to by pressing the three buttons (Map/Guide, Menu and Cancel I think). In this menu I cleared the memory and also went to "Download" to reinstall the software. Everything in the navigation functioned normally all the way home.

4. Hard reset of NAV system:

You have to go into the service menu by pressing MENU+MAP+CANCEL
Once the service menu is up the reset option is under one of the menu selections.