XM Traffic-traffic speeds and traffic incidents.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
XM Traffic-traffic speeds and traffic incidents.

Well guys, I finally got a definitive answer about XM Navigation Traffic and traffic speed/flows. I was at my dealership yesterday and the midwest Acura factory rep was there. He told me that Kansas City does NOT have traffic speeds yet, but we do have traffic incidents. He told me that St. Louis does have them both-he said they pop up every time he's across the state.

However, when I called XM twice yesterday and twice the night before, I got 3 different answers...yes, you should get traffic speeds, no you don't get them in KC, I'm not sure....it's ridiculous with XM.

But, I wanted everyone to know that I asked XM for a discount on my $3.99 per month for XM Traffic and he credited my $12.95, so if you have the same situation as I do (you get traffic incidents but not traffic speeds), you might try to call XM about a credit to your account.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I will give you a very honest answer. I had XM traffic in NYC area, you really do not benfit from having it.. Yes it will show you that you in traffic, but I think you will know this yourself since you will be sitting in it!

Those incidents reports are nice, they tell you whether or it is an accident or road work in front, my question is again, how do you benefit from this?

I understand if the NAVI rerouted you automatically based on the traffic condition to reach your destination, but this is not the case.

So Steve, don't be so disappointed, it's all good
Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I will give you a very honest answer. I had XM traffic in NYC area, you really do not benfit from having it.. Yes it will show you that you in traffic, but I think you will know this yourself since you will be sitting in it!

Those incidents reports are nice, they tell you whether or it is an accident or road work in front, my question is again, how do you benefit from this?

I understand if the NAVI rerouted you automatically based on the traffic condition to reach your destination, but this is not the case.

So Steve, don't be so disappointed, it's all good
I'd have to agree. I live in Phoenix and have instant traffic, but other than knowing there is an accident 5 miles up the road and I'm already stuck in it, is it really suiting my need? Yes, it's "cool" to have the green, yellow and red lines but NAV traffic really hasn't helped me in my commute.

I think I will get my refund as well.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Thanks Tekno..hey, the Acura rep did tell me that the new 2009 TL's nav traffic is all satellite based. So it's much better and you'll get both incidents and speeds for sure. Plus, don't tell the guys in the "4th Generation" community, but he also said he's seen pics of the new TL and it looks NOTHING like the spy photos....interesting !!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Plus, don't tell the guys in the "4th Generation" community, but he also said he's seen pics of the new TL and it looks NOTHING like the spy photos....interesting !!!!
Phewww... cause the pics we have now of the 4G, are ugly... but on the other hands, they make me enjoy my TL-S more

PS This is irrelevant, but there was a 09 TSX behind me yesterday, he thought just because I'm 3G shape, I'll be slower than him...lol....I think he drove straight to dealership to return the TSX after our little highway run.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Good work, my man !! Suck him up in your exhaust !!

And tclavell-I know what you mean and I agree. My thinking is...if you spend this much money on a car, you want everything on it to work. Heck, I've been a disc jockey in KC for over 30 years, but I still bought the XM radio service. But I feel dirty and cheap because of it. It's like going over to the evil dark star ! That's the enemy for terrestrial radio.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:22 AM
B16 Swapped TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in St Louis and the speed reports aren't all that great.... its a colored line, Green, Yellow or Red....... wow.

TomTom Navigator I have on my cell phone has a much better and free traffic system, and it re-routes you!

I am going to cancel traffic this summer when it's time for re-upping
Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Spork, I don't blame you for cancelling XM Nav Traffic. It doesn't seem like they've got their shit together. It's incredibly frustrating when you talk to Customer Service and you get a different answer EVERY time. Plus, many of the operators either don't speak English very well or are located in India.