IPOD integration update

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006 | 09:33 PM
kgd
Instructor

OK, I have had the iPod link for about a week now and have finally figured out how to search the artists. Now that I have gotten used to the commands I am navigating pretty well using the audio feedback from the music link. The only thing I have not figured out how to do is listen to a playlist in random order. The instructions state that you can do this if your radio has a random button. The RL only has the scan button and that button does not seem to do anything. I now am very happy with the interface and not to concerned anymore with trying to find a hack for this. Being able to keep your eyes on the road is pretty important and I am now finding the controls easy to use. If for some reason I want to use the menu on the iPod I simply unplug it, find the song I want, and plug it back in (I had mine mounted in the center console). Now that I have thought about it a bit, I have decided if it is too difficult to unplug navigate and plug back in, I probably shouldn't be using the menu while driving anyway. A passenger would have no difficulty unplugging it and plugging it back in.

I am very pleased with the link Acura has put together here and am very happy with the dollars I have spent on this.

For those thinking about this, I wouldn't be to concerned with some of the feedback included here. I do believe the feedback does include very valid points and I wouldn't mind having the option of being able to use the iPod menu while it is plugged in. But if you want to be able to have access to all your music while in the car this is a great way to go. I am sure that if the menu was active I would probably be tempted to screw around with it while driving and that probably isn't a great thing.

One last comment on the iPod shuffle adapter, I looked at the USB cable that came with my iPod and it looks to only have contacts in the dock connector for power and the USB outputs so I doubt that you would have any audio that might be able to be passed through to the music link using the shuffle dock adaptor.

For what we have all already spent for this car, I would just spend the $400 and enjoy the music.

Kris
Old 01-23-2006 | 04:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhummer
Can you post the price and also what the vender says about this option? Thanks
The plug and play unit is $225 but he just told me that the sound is fm modulated so you're actually no better off as far as the ipod is concerned.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
The plug and play unit is $225 but he just told me that the sound is fm modulated so you're actually no better off as far as the ipod is concerned.
What do you think of this one?
http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
Old 01-24-2006 | 02:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhummer
What do you think of this one?
http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
That looks very promising. Do you have any experience with them?
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:59 AM
Instructor

I had this one in my 02/04 TL works very well. The video quality is very sharp. I would have installed in my 05 RL however I sold the TL I kept all the "goodies" inside. This will probably be my spring/summer mod.
Old 02-07-2006 | 01:19 PM
5th Gear

Bose CenterPoint and Music Link

Can someone who has had Music Link installed inform us whether or not CenterPoint (5.1 signal processing from stereo CD sources) is functional with music coming from the ipod? The CenterPoint processor is not active with my MP3 CDs or with XM or FM, but I am hoping that it might work with the Music Link source since it's apparently coming into the head-unit as an alternate CD changer.
Old 02-09-2006 | 12:34 AM
kgd
Instructor

I have an 05 and the Center Point is not available while using the Music Link. I suspect it is using the same processor as the CD-R Mp3's.

I still love the Music Link and don't regret for a second spending the money to have it installed. I would suggest having them install it in the center console instead of the glove box though.

Kris
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Just curious, why would you prefer it in the center console if you can't use any of the controls on the ipod, unless you take it out of the car each day.
Old 02-11-2006 | 11:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobwied
Just curious, why would you prefer it in the center console if you can't use any of the controls on the ipod, unless you take it out of the car each day.
I was deciding on the kit my self for my 2005 RL. Before I went and invested close to $500, I decided to get monster ipod nano kit for $40 after rebates. Actually, it does the job fine for me, and the sound is very good. It is probably the best ipod wireless kit on the market. I can change songs directly on the ipod while sitting at the light or even while driving (not recommended). Also passenger can change them for you.
I decided to take my $450 or so, that I saved and invest towards a full A-Spec body kit that usulay goes for $1100.
Old 02-11-2006 | 11:21 AM
kgd
Instructor

I do take the iPod with me into the office the days I am there, so it is nice having it in the center console. It also does not slide around in the top part of the center console. The glove box would also be fine, just not as easy to get to.

I paid about $400 installed and and believe it is well worth the cost.

Kris
Old 02-12-2006 | 12:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
I was deciding on the kit my self for my 2005 RL. Before I went and invested close to $500, I decided to get monster ipod nano kit for $40 after rebates. Actually, it does the job fine for me, and the sound is very good. It is probably the best ipod wireless kit on the market. I can change songs directly on the ipod while sitting at the light or even while driving (not recommended). Also passenger can change them for you.
I decided to take my $450 or so, that I saved and invest towards a full A-Spec body kit that usulay goes for $1100.
I forgot to mention that my wireless kit is in the center console as well. This the best place in my opinion. Easy access to my IPOD. I can’t understand why people would get Acura‘s kit done in the glove compartment. It just does not make sense.
Here is what persuaded me to Monster Wireless Kit:

- Final cost $40 (Total saving of at least $400 or so)
- Good sound (You will get occasional small distortions, but this is nature of the FM modulator)
- RL will play MP3’s already via CD, get erasable CD and burn new songs at once
- IPOD songs can be changed while driving
- Easy set up in the glove box
Of course Acura’s kit has better sound quality and songs can be changed via wheel buttons, but it is about $400 more as well. Before you go and get Acura’s kit, just try monster wireless kit. You can always take it back to the store for full refund.
Now, I am on my way to A-SPEC body kit!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2006 | 07:23 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
Good sound (You will get occasional small distortions, but this is nature of the FM modulator)
IMHO, FM modulators really sound bad. If you can't hear the difference, more power to ya -- but given that compression to MP3 or AAC (really, anything but Apple Lossless...) degrades sound quality significantly, degrading it further by playing it through an FM modulator is really unacceptable.

I used a Griffin iTrip for a while. The problem with it is, I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. There's VERY few open spots on the radio dial, and since I'm sandwiched between NYC and Baltimore, even a short drive means that I'm twiddling the dial trying to find an open station again. Really annoying.

The RL has about the best stereo I've ever heard in a car. Why use a crappy signal source in it?