Installing PA15-ACUxl - DIYer needs insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing PA15-ACUxl - DIYer needs insight

I purchased the PA15-ACUxl for my 06RL and connected it in the trunk without any issues. However, I have never done any sort of audio wiring in a car and was hoping I could get some insight into the best method to run the (single) wire for this unit. Ideally, I would like to have the module / ipod adapter in the center console area (behind cup-holder). What's the best route to get it there? How much of the center console do I need to remove? Do I need to remove the trim along the sides as well as the gear shift area?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wrote a bit on this here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/just-installed-usa-spec-pa15-acuxl-05-rl-750012/

After getting it through to the back seat and out to either side (I did the drivers side, but I suppose you could do the passenger side), I removed the trim at the base of the doorway, tucked the cable in, and then replaced the trim. I crossed under the drivers seat and then ran it into the console. Here's a guide (for the Acura Music Link) that shows how to disassemble the console (which also shows how hard it is to install other systems that require removing the head unit):

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII33575.pdf

FYI, I couldn't figure out how to get the cupholder out. It seems to just be clipped in, but it wouldn't budge after removing the prerequisite bits (the area around the shifter was a bit of a challenge, but it came out).

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReverendOlaf
....... FYI, I couldn't figure out how to get the cupholder out. It seems to just be clipped in, but it wouldn't budge after removing the prerequisite bits (the area around the shifter was a bit of a challenge, but it came out).

Good luck!
Thanks! So I am somewhat confused. If you could not get the cup holder out, were you able to put the ipod adapter in the center arm rest area?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was able to stuff the unit in the console and have the cord to the ipod hang out (I usually just leave it under the drivers seat). Ideal? Maybe not, but close enough for me. I tried twice to get that blasted cup holder up, and I may try to fish a wire from the inside of the console (via the existing hole for the light) to see if I can reach it and pull the wire through.