Free DVD-A

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Free DVD-A

Has everyone gotten their free DTS DVD using the little card in the demo DVD packet?

I ordered mine last night from the 5point1 website, and although the order seemed to go through fine, I never got the confirmation email they promise. Fortunately, I did a printscreen on the website order confirmation screen, so if it doesn't show up in a few weeks I'll follow up.

If you weren't aware of it, check it out.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:44 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Yep. Ordered Marvin Gaye - Forever Yours. Impressive surround

If I recall, it took a while.

Other recommendations...

Santana - Supernatural
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (My favorite)

I also have Kansas Live - From the front Row
Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both my order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails from 5point1 got caught by my spam filter. The order confirmation had "marketing" in the address and the shipping confirmation was from "stamps.com" domain.

I ordered on Sept 17th, got shipping confirmation the 26th and recieved the disc Oct 2nd.
It shipped via usps out of California.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by zippyh
Both my order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails from 5point1 got caught by my spam filter. The order confirmation had "marketing" in the address and the shipping confirmation was from "stamps.com" domain.

I ordered on Sept 17th, got shipping confirmation the 26th and recieved the disc Oct 2nd.
It shipped via usps out of California.
Thanks, guys. i never did get an order confirmation, but I got a "spam" email from 5point1 yesterday, so I guess they know I exist.

My DVD will probably show up in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Has everyone gotten their free DTS DVD using the little card in the demo DVD packet?

I ordered mine last night from the 5point1 website, and although the order seemed to go through fine, I never got the confirmation email they promise. Fortunately, I did a printscreen on the website order confirmation screen, so if it doesn't show up in a few weeks I'll follow up.

If you weren't aware of it, check it out.
Where is the demo DVD packet? the only DVD I got was a DVD titled Acura RL advanced technology tour. No card in there.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:57 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdevine
Where is the demo DVD packet? the only DVD I got was a DVD titled Acura RL advanced technology tour. No card in there.
There is, or should be, a dvd-a demo disc that comes with the car. Inside of that demo disc is a coupon for a free disc.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the Acura demo disc, but there was no coupon for free disc in my '06 RL.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Guess I need to contact the dealer cause I didn't get the DVD-A demo disk packet.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I got mine 15 days after ordering - Steve Miller 'Fly Like An Eagle' in DTS. Sounds Mahvahlous!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Got mine within a week. REM Reveal. Forgot it and left it at home with Bonnie Rait's road tested I got off of ebay.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Instructor

I spoke to 5.1 marketing today. They were going to have me email them the vin number and some other info to get my free disc. They have the most complete selection of
dvd-a and Dts cds available.

I currently have Steely Dan's Gaucho in the DTS format and it is incredible on this Bose system especially utilizing the sub and highs. Also have Sting Ten Summner tales in DTS 5.1 format and it is also crystal clear. I think taking a 300 mile trip is this car with the Bose system playing will be like taking a 100 mile trip.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:01 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been listening to Porcupine Tree's Deadwing like a madman for quite some time now. Also good is their In Absentia album. You can get them off the 5point1 site or from www.porcupinetree.com.

(oh, and it's neo-Prog rock, if you don't know the band. Amazing stuff. Best band you've never heard of, their stuff is used in a lot of commercials)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Where is this little coupon located? I can't seem to find it.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be in the owner manuals pleather case somewhere.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by clangjr
Where is this little coupon located? I can't seem to find it.
It is inside the demo DVD "case", on the back page. It's stuck to the case with some soft glue.

BTW, it's been a month and I still don't have mine, so I emailed 5point1 yesterday for a status. I never got the email confirmation they are supposed to send, but luckily I had done a screenprint of the screen where my order was completed, and I included that in my email.

Got a reply this morning that they were checking on it and would let me know.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Mike, we got ours . I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and we got it one week ago.

Hopefully you can get it. It sounds so cool, better than my TL stereo.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

It is inside the demo DVD "case", on the back page. It's stuck to the case with some soft glue.

BTW, it's been a month and I still don't have mine, so I emailed 5point1 yesterday for a status. I never got the email confirmation they are supposed to send, but luckily I had done a screenprint of the screen where my order was completed, and I included that in my email.

Got a reply this morning that they were checking on it and would let me know.

Nothing on mine
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Nothing on mine
Clang, go to 5point1.com and click on "Contact" in the menu bar to get an email contact address. I think it's THIS.

Anyway, tell them you got a new RL and the coupon was missing from your demo DVD. They'll need your VIN and the dealer name and address, but I'll bet they'll fix you up.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

Clang, go to 5point1.com and click on "Contact" in the menu bar to get an email contact address. I think it's THIS.

Anyway, tell them you got a new RL and the coupon was missing from your demo DVD. They'll need your VIN and the dealer name and address, but I'll bet they'll fix you up.

Cool, thanks. Although seeing as my wifes water just broke, I think it's going to have to wait unti after the baby.....
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Cool, thanks. Although seeing as my wifes water just broke, I think it's going to have to wait unti after the baby.....
Well. First things first, after all.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Well. First things first, after all.

O but of course. That's why I brought my laptop with my Verizon card to the hospital!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Advanced

I didn't have a coupon either so, as suggested, I emailed 5point1 and was sent a nice welcome message from Larry Klenin, along with a replacement code. I went to the site and browsed the disks, but most were labeled: Not available for promotions; Not valid with promotional codes; I assume this means my code, but I didn't try ordering yet. What's the difference between a 5.1 DVD Audio disk and a 5.1 DTS Audio disk? Will both play in my 06 RL?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Intermediate

I sent them an email that I didn't get a coupon, included my VIN number etc. and they ignored it...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 AM
AcurAdmirer

Well, you have to follow up with Larry. He's apparently very busy.

I still haven't gotten my DVD either, but Larry emailed me yesteday apologizing again and saying it would be shipped to me this coming week.

It's free, but if I'm entitled to it I'm gonna be persistent!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:45 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

I ordrer REM Reveal & it showed up in around a week.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shoppit
I didn't have a coupon either so, as suggested, I emailed 5point1 and was sent a nice welcome message from Larry Klenin, along with a replacement code. I went to the site and browsed the disks, but most were labeled: Not available for promotions; Not valid with promotional codes; I assume this means my code, but I didn't try ordering yet. What's the difference between a 5.1 DVD Audio disk and a 5.1 DTS Audio disk? Will both play in my 06 RL?

Dvd-A is a format that packs more info on the disk and supposedly sounding better, 5.1DTS is actually a CD recorded in the 5.1 DTS format (meaning 6 channel separation in the DTS format) ,however the DVD-A 5.1 DTS is a DVD-A that is mixed in the 5.1 DTS format. So 5.1 dts DVD-A's should sound the best because it is in the 5.1 dts format and it is a DVD-A instead of just a regular CD.

Having said that my favorite sound quality disk are in DTS 5.1 CD's, however I have only heard a couple of DVD-A 5.1 DTS and they were both live concerts so they didn't sound as good to me. My favorites so far are Steely Dan Gaucho in 5.1 DTS and Stings various albums in 5.1 DTS.

BTW both DVD-A (which if not indicated, probably plays in just surround sound not 5.1 DTS surround), and DVD-A 5.1 DTS play in the RL. Now after having said that I did purchase a DVD-A DTS called Handel's Messiah and it would not play on the RL. It is the onlu DVD-A that I purchased that did not play, I think it is also because it shows pictures when played on a DVD player.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

I put my code in to buy a DVD-A set, it was accepted, then rejected the next day. The code is no longer valid. Very frustrating.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by starmanj
I put my code in to buy a DVD-A set, it was accepted, then rejected the next day. The code is no longer valid. Very frustrating.
Just call 5.1 marketing and leave a message if they don't answer. He will call you back within a day or two and explain what happened. He was very accomadating to me and I received my DVD-A the other day.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Not trying to repeat everything above, but I didn't receive the free dvd-a coupon and just asked my dealer. They said they didn't know anything about it.

Does anyone on the forum know whether this offer applies to all 2006 RL's, or if it was made only at certain times or in certain parts of the country? (I purchased a month ago.)

Is Acura headquarters likely to respond to inquiries about this? I did email 5point1 with my specific information, but so far have received no response. I'll try calling them next.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ed111
Not trying to repeat everything above, but I didn't receive the free dvd-a coupon and just asked my dealer. They said they didn't know anything about it.

Does anyone on the forum know whether this offer applies to all 2006 RL's, or if it was made only at certain times or in certain parts of the country? (I purchased a month ago.)

Is Acura headquarters likely to respond to inquiries about this? I did email 5point1 with my specific information, but so far have received no response. I'll try calling them next.
Did you get the demo disc that comes with the car? The coupon is on the inside sleeve.

I have an '06 and was able to get one. I also agree with the above poster, I think the DTS 5.1 CDs sound river than the DVD-As.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Go Hawks

I didn't have my demo disc or coupon code either. I called 5.1 marketing and Larry Klenin called me back in a couple of days and said it was no problem. He just needs the Vin # and I think the dealer name that you bought the vehicle from. He then emails you a bar code that you can input into the system and order your free audio cd or dVD. All 2006 vehicles were entilted to this offer. Obviously some of the demo discs that came with the vehicle, were ripped off like yours, mine, and probably a ton of others. 5.1 is using the free audio disc as a marketing tool in hopes of you purchasing more from them. I did because it is hard to find certain titles (most) and the difference is separation and quality of sound is stunning on most of the CD' DVD-A offered.

I have never heard the demo disc that came with the vehicle, but it must express the full capabilites of the RL audio system.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM

Go Hawks

I didn't have my demo disc or coupon code either. I called 5.1 marketing and Larry Klenin called me back in a couple of days and said it was no problem. He just needs the Vin # and I think the dealer name that you bought the vehicle from. He then emails you a bar code that you can input into the system and order your free audio cd or dVD. All 2006 vehicles were entilted to this offer. Obviously some of the demo discs that came with the vehicle, were ripped off like yours, mine, and probably a ton of others. 5.1 is using the free audio disc as a marketing tool in hopes of you purchasing more from them. I did because it is hard to find certain titles (most) and the difference is separation and quality of sound is stunning on most of the CD' DVD-A offered.

I have never heard the demo disc that came with the vehicle, but it must express the full capabilites of the RL audio system.
My post was misleading. When I said "I was able to get one" I meant the promotional disc from Bose.

The demo disc was with my car, it wasn't ripped off. It contains an introduction with some sound effects and music selections. It's a pretty cool disc to show off the system to your friends. The beginning of it has a dog barking in the background, followed by a loud clap of thunder. Very impressive. Everytime I've played it for someone, their eyes get real wide.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Advanced

I got a very nice reply from Larry Klenin at 5point1, which included a replacement code. I ordered a DTS 5.1 disk and when I checked out, there was a place to enter the promo code, VIN and dealer name, which changed the amount due to zero.

I really don't want to sound ungrateful for a free DVD, but I have to say that there are not a lot of DVD-Audio and DVD DTS5.1 disks available. In addition, the best titles are labeled not valid for the promo. Of the six disks left that interested me, I already had four on audio CD.

The promo is nice and worth trying to get if you have no coupon, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, I can't honestly say it's the end of the world.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
My post was misleading. When I said "I was able to get one" I meant the promotional disc from Bose.

The demo disc was with my car, it wasn't ripped off. It contains an introduction with some sound effects and music selections. It's a pretty cool disc to show off the system to your friends. The beginning of it has a dog barking in the background, followed by a loud clap of thunder. Very impressive. Everytime I've played it for someone, their eyes get real wide.

Sorry GO HAWKS

I meant to address that last post to ed111. However I wish I did have the demo disc that was suppose to come with the car.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:15 AM

Sorry GO HAWKS

I meant to address that last post to ed111. However I wish I did have the demo disc that was suppose to come with the car.
Did you try contacting Acura to get another one?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Did you try contacting Acura to get another one?
Nope! I contacted the dealer and they brushed it off, but I did not contact Acura so I will do that on Monday. Just haven't thought of it till you mentioned it. Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well ...... I'm just about to give up on ever getting my "free" DVD. I ordered it 'way back in September, it got lost somewhere along the way in the ordering process, Larry assured me weeks ago it is being processed, and I finally got notified it had shipped via USPS ... on Nov. 9.

Now, that's 6 days ago, and the U.S. Mail doesn't usually take that long to get things to me. It may show up yet, but I've quit waiting for it. I guess there ain't no free DVD just like there ain't no free lunch.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Advanced

I contacted Acura Customer Care about this and they knew nothing about this promotion. They suggested it may be a regional or local dealer thing. They did say they'd look into it and get back to me if they learn anything about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Well ...... I'm just about to give up on ever getting my "free" DVD. I ordered it 'way back in September, it got lost somewhere along the way in the ordering process, Larry assured me weeks ago it is being processed, and I finally got notified it had shipped via USPS ... on Nov. 9.

Now, that's 6 days ago, and the U.S. Mail doesn't usually take that long to get things to me. It may show up yet, but I've quit waiting for it. I guess there ain't no free DVD just like there ain't no free lunch.
Mike_TX -

I'm in the same boat. Ordred mine about a month ago...on top of that, Larry sent me a confirmation that it was shipped out. Well, it is more than a week now and there still no sign of it.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
Mike_TX -

I'm in the same boat. Ordred mine about a month ago...on top of that, Larry sent me a confirmation that it was shipped out. Well, it is more than a week now and there still no sign of it.
Maybe it's a Carbon Grey thig.

I emailed Larry one last time and he seemed puzzled as to why mine hasn't arrived. It's now been 10 days and it shouldn't take that long. He assured me they'd take care of me.

Since it's a freebie, I guess I'm not as concerned as I might otherwise be, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable ordering from them!

Quick Reply: Free DVD-A