Ever notice car mags don't review Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 05:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

Ever notice car mags don't review Nav?

Maybe I'm really on the fringe, but Nav systems have become a really important consideration in selecting a new car. In fact, I've bought my last two cars from Acura *because* of their superior Nav system as much as anything else.

But check the car mags for reviews on cars and you get zilch on the Nav systems. The most you may see is mention that a model "has a navigation system available", or they comment on the clever way a Nav screen retracts into the dash. Whoopee.

I'd sure like to see some mention of the Nav system's specific abilities, like how user-friendly it is, and how well it routes to a destination or if it has good voice recognition. Maybe how fast it re-calculates if you go off-course, or if it has automatic detour, or how many POI's it has in its database.

I know these guys are mainly motorheads, but there's more to a car these days than how many horsepower it has and how it does on the friggin' skidpad. And there are so many different Nav systems out there that info on them would be helpful. As it is, you have to pretty much buy a car and then find out later if the Nav is worth the $2,000 you paid for it or if you got screwed.

Okay - end of rant.

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

well, many of the car reviews are stuck up snobs that care more for the power that the car has rather than what it offers as a whole. I agree that the navi should be rated, but alot of these reviews don't really care as they are not into the gadgets the car has (maybe cnet), but their reviews are kinda eh....
Old 09-06-2007 | 08:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

So true Mike. For someone like me, I'm just as interested in the technology in the car as what's under the hood. That's why I always go to CNET (yes CNET!) for that perspective on car reviews. They do a pretty good job of covering that angle.

Here's a link to that site

Here's a link to the text and video review of the 07 RL
Old 09-06-2007 | 08:56 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

They also dont go in depth into the stero which is important to many purchasers.
Old 09-07-2007 | 03:17 AM
Instructor

The only nav reviews I've seen mentioned in the driver mags is about the stupid birds eye view in the Infiniti's. Who cares you can't use the stupid nav if your rolling down the road.
Old 09-07-2007 | 08:05 AM
Instructor

+1 on Mike's comment.

It is about time that reviewers start focusing on the tech behind the car, because, from the past 4 years or so, its the technology that defines the car and not the muscle behind it, IMHO. The results, judging by the new models being spewed out left and right, by companies who we never thought were capable of innovation, speak for themselves. I just wish more people (like the lovely RL folks here -- ) weighed in on the technology associated with a car, rather than blindly going by TV commercials, before shelling out large wads of cash.
Old 09-07-2007 | 08:16 AM
Go Big Blue!

yep, the game, she's a changing.

I think some are adjusting to this new pace, but not Honda/Acura. They need to be ready to make more tech changes between FMC's. 5-6-7 years may not be a long time for mechanical evolution, but it is an eternity from a technology standpoint. Take the MDX. It just got released. Offers no Adaptive cruise and no keyless start. Are they going to wait until 2012 to add those features to this vehicle? Hell, the Camry even has Keyless start now. I assume the 08 accord is offering it as well with it's 08MY FMC.
Old 09-07-2007 | 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
yep, the game, she's a changing.

I think some are adjusting to this new pace, but not Honda/Acura. They need to be ready to make more tech changes between FMC's. 5-6-7 years may not be a long time for mechanical evolution, but it is an eternity from a technology standpoint. Take the MDX. It just got released. Offers no Adaptive cruise and no keyless start. Are they going to wait until 2012 to add those features to this vehicle? Hell, the Camry even has Keyless start now. I assume the 08 accord is offering it as well with it's 08MY FMC.
Absolutely right. My mom's 07 Camry (mid-level 4 cylinder model) came with an AUX port and remote engine starter. I was actually jealous of her crappy Camry. Honda/Acura needs to up the pace of innovation. Otherwise Acura won't survive long-term.

Don't get me started on the fact that my wife's 06 MDX (previous-gen) has rain-sensing wipers and the flagship car doesn't.