do you guys leave your BT on all the time on your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:03 AM
The Doctor

do you guys leave your BT on all the time on your phone?

so you don't have to turn it on everytime you enter the car. Does it drain the battery pretty fast if the BT is constant on?
Old 07-26-2006 | 12:21 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

On all the time, and yes it does impact the charge. I think the charge is mainly impacted when the link is active as opposed to say when I'm not in the car.
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:12 PM
'06 RL

Yeah, I leave it on all the time. I find it drains the battery significantly even when not active -- because it's transmitting its presence everywhere. But whatever -- I have so many BT devices (PDA, laptop, desktop, RL) and it's a pain to keep turning it on and off (three menus deep on my Nokia) so I just don't bother.
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:18 PM
Safety Car

I keep mine on always and do not experience a significant battery issue. I always charge at night. Uses more battery when connected than not. So if you are not in the car all day, you should be OK - unless you use other BT devices when not in car (but then you'd need it on anyway).
Old 07-26-2006 | 02:38 PM
Pro

NO, it has nothing to do with battery issues, I dont feel comfortable leaving the bluetooth on because its a continious radio transmitter working when I have it clipped to my belt. Call me crazy, but the long term implications of having a transmitter that close to my kidney just doesnt seem prudent. So, it doesnt hurt for me to turn it off and on as I need it (in the car) but peace of mind while its off is priceless.
Old 07-26-2006 | 03:10 PM
The Doctor

thanks for the replies, guys. Really appreciate it. The only BT device that I use constantly is my RL, along with a BT headphone. So I guess I don't have to leave it on all the time. I only drive my RL 15 mins each way from home to work 4 days a week. Over the weekends sometimes we take the wife's car.
Old 07-26-2006 | 05:12 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by sotiri
NO, it has nothing to do with battery issues, I dont feel comfortable leaving the bluetooth on because its a continious radio transmitter working when I have it clipped to my belt. Call me crazy, but the long term implications of having a transmitter that close to my kidney just doesnt seem prudent. So, it doesnt hurt for me to turn it off and on as I need it (in the car) but peace of mind while its off is priceless.
Then you might as well keep your phone turned off completely. The BT signal is pretty weak compared to the microwave signals your phone is transmitting to the phone network while it's turned on. That is a much stronger and potentially harmful signal, although the phone companies keep saying that the results are inconclusive.

Have you ever laid your phone down near a speaker (radio or otherwise) and noticed static or radio interference? That's coming from your phone transmitting to the phone network communicating it's availability.
Old 08-01-2006 | 10:08 PM
Intermediate

I keep mine on all the time. I picked up a cheap little PM325 LG phone to keep in the car at all times. I have it plugged into the power outlet in the center console so it stays charged and such. No problems with it other than the phone itself sucks. Planning to get a different phone in the next few days to replace it tho...