Cingular 8125

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Cingular 8125

Has anyone successfully paired the Cingular 8125 with the 2005 RL?
Old 03-12-2006 | 07:49 PM
Intermediate

I have gotten the 8125 to pair with the RL2005, but I can't get any info displayed on the GPS screen. Only the number claling will display on the information panel in front of the driver. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-12-2006 | 08:34 PM
kgd
Instructor

Nothing will display on the Nav screen with the HFL (Bluetooth connection). The only information that displays will be on the MID in the instrument panel.

When you receive a call you should see the incoming number on the MID. When you press the HFL (Phone Button) should should see a signal strength indicator and a battery indicator on the MID. When you enter a number to call that should then also be displayed below the signal strength and battery indicators. I would guess that the signal strength and battery indicator may not be displayed as they are missing on most of the windows based PDA's. I am hoping that at least the incoming call number will be displayed and that everything function well as far as sound, placing and receiving calls, and the person on the other end can hear you fine without any echo.

Was the number showing on the MID the number you called or the number of an incoming call. Do you recall if any other information showed up?

I was going to get one of these phones today, but the cingular store I went to did not have any in stock. I will try one as soon as they come in.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 03-12-2006 | 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Yes - the incoming number was displayed but I did not see any battery info or signal strength. I think you are right about the signal strength and the battery functionality not showing.

I still have to spend more time with this but that's hard to do since this is my wife's car and for some strange reason she gets perturbed when I steal it to play with the toys!
Old 03-12-2006 | 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kgd
I was going to get one of these phones today, but the cingular store I went to did not have any in stock. I will try one as soon as they come in.
BTW - make sure you go to a corporate Cingular store as they always will have preference with getting inventory. Cingular does not give the same preference to the franchised stores.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

I have the 8125 but have not paired it with the HFL as the sound quality with my old SMT5600 was poor on the receiving end (or so everyone told me in no uncertain terms).

Has anyone gotten any feedback on how the sound quality is for people you call? If the SQ is still poor, I would rather use my BT head set than the HFL.

So any feelback on the SQ would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2006 | 02:40 PM
kgd
Instructor

I did upgrade to the 8125. Had no problems pairing with the HFL in the RL. It does not display the signal or battery strength on the MID, but otherwise seems to work great. I have made and received calls and also done a comparison with the Moto V557. My wife said that both phones sounded the same through the HFL. I could not tell a difference between the two in the car.

Now I just need to see if I will keep the phone. I have added a few other progams to it and am liking it better now. We'll see.

Kris
Old 04-02-2006 | 12:51 AM
Instructor

KGD, when your wife said that she was on the receiving end of the calls and they didn't sound muddy? That would be great - I will pair mine up and see what happens.

As far as required programs, a couple should be smartskey and Tweak2k. Smartskey allows you to assign a second function to the smart keys under calendar and contacts by using a prolonged press. T . Tweak2k program will apply some great hacks to the registry for speed, safety and convenience.

They shoud be available via a GOOGLE search. Also check out Howardforums.com/cingular phones for great information on the 8125.

The Cingular.com Forums are great as well as the XDA Developersforums.com. Lots of hacks and instructions there.

I could mention more but half the fun is finding out your self.

Have Fun with the phone. And remember that smartskey will really help with one handed operation.

Report back on how it.goes.
Old 04-02-2006 | 04:01 AM
kgd
Instructor

Spb Pocket Plus is also a must have as it will actually close programs. I also installed GS Player which will allow you to stream music. Smart key sounds pretty good, I will have to get that. I also have a Socket GPS blue tooth receiver and will be installing their nav software on it soon as I use that alot when traveling with rental cars.

Quick question on connecting. I sync Outlook through our exchange server and it work great exect when I connect through active sync it does not automatically use the internet connection through my computer it still tries to use the phones edge connection. If I switch it under the connections tab from Media Net to My Work connection it works fine while connected to my computer, but once I disconnect it still looks to connect to the internet through my computer. If I switch it back to Media Net under connections it works fine again. With my Dell Axim it would automatically switch between my blue tooth internet connection through my phone and my network internet connection through my computer.

Kris
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:07 AM
kgd
Instructor

I was not able to get the data connection to work in the HFL setup with the 8125. Other than that it works great.
Old 04-06-2006 | 06:21 AM
Instructor

kgd, Spb Pocket Plus includes.a PIE plug in, right? Does the plug-in give you the ability to open different PIE windows with Tabs? I really miss that. Opera isn't bad, but it is still a bit flakey on my WM5 units.

You feel the outgoing sound quality of the 8125 over the HFL is good? Have you left yourself a voice mail on your work phone as a test? I did with my SMT5600 and it sounded awful. Hopefully the BT implementation in the 8125 is better!
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:46 PM
Instructor

I paired the 8125 with the HFL and it too sounded awful. My buddy could barely understand me and when I turned it off, he said there you are. So I must have a defective mic or something, cause it was a problem with my other phone as well. I will just use Microsoft Voice Command and my BT headset. Much clearer. To bad, though, cause the HFL has potential.
Old 04-06-2006 | 10:51 PM
kgd
Instructor

I will try a test with a message. I use the phone a lot and have not had any complaints.

The Pocket Plus does allow you to open multiple windows in PIE and you can close or minimize each one or all from the close icon.

The best add on so far has been Smartskey. It allows the two front buttons below the screen to open the start menu and to close apps. It also adds some other features.
Old 04-19-2006 | 08:55 PM
Instructor

As a follow up I paired the 8125 and got the same result that I got with my SMT5600 - awful sound on the receiving end of my calls. I am done wilh the HFL and will stick with MS Voice Command and my Jabra headset. Sounds far superior. Too bad. HFL had a lot of potential just not worth having people complain about the sound.

SPB Plus is nice, I tried it, but it loads a lot of stuff on to the device. Uses a lot of memory. The Pocket IE plug in is rice though which it had tabs.
Old 04-20-2006 | 10:30 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

That's very strange. On my old Verizon 7250 and my wife's old Sprint Sammy BT phone HFL performed very well. Not muddled at all.

We both have just switched over to Cing (8200C for me, Razr for her) and though I have yet to fully test my 8200c - like you, it's my wife's car - but her Razr sounds as good, if not better than her old sammy using HFL.

On a related subject, I can't seem to find a decent BT headset that works in urban areas. I've tried the Jabra BT800, and the Mot HS850. They both arent loud enough.. can someone recommend something small and loud? I really dont like the way the 8125 looks and feels, and would prefer something similar to the design of the bt800 and 850.

thanks!
Old 04-20-2006 | 12:23 PM
kgd
Instructor

I have left messages to test the quality and the sound is fine. I have also talked for hours now using the HFL and no one has complained about the quality of the sound. The quality will not be as good as just using the phone, but it is not any different than any of the headsets I have used.
Old 04-21-2006 | 08:36 AM
Instructor

Wow, I must have a defective HFL component or else it's the MS bluetooth stack not liking the HFL. But since kgd's sounds ok, it must be something with my system. As my dealership is awful and says there is nothing wrong with the HFL, I guess I am stuck not using the HFL. But I have to go in for an oil change soon, so maybe I will ask them to replace the HFL module or microphone or something. But if the dealership sees nothing wrong on the diagnostic computer, they will not do anything to fix anything. (as an example, I know I have a problem with gas mileage - average 14 around town - but they say the computer says all is good so nothing they can do)

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should tell them to check, please let me know. But glad to hear HFL is working well for you guys.