Another twist on my MusicLink saga

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another twist on my MusicLink saga

This holiday weekend is the first chance I've really gotten to delve into the issues I've had with MusicLink. I really haven't used it since I reported my success previously because when I tried to load all my music back onto the iPod, the system failed again several weeks ago. To remind all: I have a 5G 30 GB video iPod--not the recently released 5.5G iPod. I run Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a MacBook Pro and a "Quicksilver" G4. I use iTunes 7.0.2 (the latest) on both.

I decided to try another tack. I decided to wipe out all traces of the TTS software on both my desktop and laptop (I sync music from both) and restore my iPod. On a Macintosh running OS X, this entails not only removing the software from the Applications folder, which would end the story for any decently designed Mac software, but also:

a) going into the Accounts panel of the System Preferences, clicking on "startup items", and removing Acura TTS

b) in iTunes itself, removing every single TTS track from the Library (anything with a bunch of numbers and letters as a title).

What a pain in the ass....this is one of the most poorly written pieces of Mac software I've ever seen. Acura needs to go back to the drawing board with this POS software.

I then reinstalled as much music as I could. No go in the RL.

I then figured that a song or songs was corrupted and not allowing the MusicLink hardware to do its job. I therefore restored the iPod again and started again, loading an album or two at a time, then going out to the RL to test. The MusicLink worked fine until I got to about 3.3 GB of music. (3.27 GB to be exact)

This was really surprising and I couldn't believe it until I tried it several times. MusicLink works fine at 3.27 GB, then moving an album--ANY album--that takes the total space used on the iPod above about 3.3 GB, causes MusicLink not to work. Removing the music and going back to 3.27 GB totally resolves the problem.

This leads me to believe there is a hardware flaw affecting MusicLink in general. I have some questions from those of you not having issues:

a) Are you using large-volume iPods, and more importantly, are you using more than 3 GB of music?
b) To which engineering group at Acura do I direct this information?

It appears that my best solution is to buy a Nano 4 GB and copy my most current music lists on it, and rotate those according to mood, and reserve my main iPod for use at home. This is a pain as well because the whole purpose of an iPod is to take all my music with me. The other solution is to pay someone to take my dash apart for an aftermarket solution, which will surely introduce new rattles that I also don't want. The Nano and aftermarket solutions are not that far apart in cost.

I say again, MusicLink is a pile of steaming poo. I should have negotiated for a backup camera instead of MusicLink when I purchased my RL.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
This sux to hear, if it truly can't handle more then 3GB's, then it's almost not even worth doing. I think I'll just stick with MP3 Cd's.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a 60GB video iPod and it has about 35-40GB of music on it, and it works fine with musiclink. The TTS software is crap, but it works like it is supposed to, which is horribly. I too am using a mac running OSX 10.4.8 on a Intel iMac. and I am running latest version of itunes and latest version of ipod software which I think is 1.2.

the music on my ipod is a mixture of MP3s and protected AAC files downloaded from the itunes music store. I don't think I have any other formats of music on there, like wavs or aiffs. I do have a bunch of video files, TV shows, music videos, all downloaded from itunes, but of course those don't play through musiclink.

My musiclink has been pretty solid so far. I am one of the few that has said that on Acurazine I think. Even with my musiclink being solid, I am shocked at how poor of a product that Acura is willing to put it's name on and sell to consumers.

Edit to add: About who to call about your music link problems, I'd call Acura client services to let them know of the problem, and on the musclink website it says to call: 1-800-999-1009
Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

I think I will complain about it to ACS. Thanks for your post, sasair. It merely confirms what I have been trying to tell my dealer since they put the bloody thing in--the hardware is not right.

I may ask for a replacement when I go in for an oil change in a few thousand miles. At this point, it's the principle of the thing. However, I think I'd much rather go aftermarket.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
When I bought my 2006 RL the other day, the salesman very tactfully suggested I not get the Acura MusicLink for iPod, and said to check back in another month or two. He, like the good soldier, would not say it is a bad product, but said wait for the new revision to come out.

When I inquired about the part at HondaAcuraWorld, a parts manager at Ray Laks said that most of his customers have dumped the Acura product for the blitzsafe, and recommended that or a Harmon Kardon product.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We ordered the Acura Musiclink for our '07 RL and the dealership has told us to hold off on the install until they get the new hardware. One of the senior salesman told us that there has been a reported problem with the previous installs and that they were waiting for a revision. We were told sometime in mid-Dec to bring our car back in.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunately, even if they get the hardware problems solved, we are still likely going to be stuck with that crappy TTS software.

The Harmon Kardon product is pretty good, but involves installing its own screen and control knob, but you can't beat its navigation of the ipod. almost as good as using the controls on the ipod.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob, I'm using a 60 GB 5th gen, Mac OSX 10.4.8, latest iTunes version, with about 35 GB of music and video on my 'Pod.

All was well until about 2-3 months ago, when my musiclink took a crizznap.... it won't line up songs or artists accurately. I select "The Cars" and it plays "The Darkness." Annoying.

At least my manual controls work on the iPod... but I can't use them while driving.

My service manager acknowledged that there are significant problems with the current iPod link, and told me it'll be fixed sometime this month, and that he'll be calling me as soon as the new ones are available.

Yeah, the iPod solution here is pure poo....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr

My service manager acknowledged that there are significant problems with the current iPod link, and told me it'll be fixed sometime this month, and that he'll be calling me as soon as the new ones are available.
Please let us know when you do about the updated MusicLink.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Does the HK unit have to use a modulator or caan it plug into the H/U directly?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
When I bought my 2006 RL the other day, the salesman very tactfully suggested I not get the Acura MusicLink for iPod, and said to check back in another month or two. He, like the good soldier, would not say it is a bad product, but said wait for the new revision to come out.

When I inquired about the part at HondaAcuraWorld, a parts manager at Ray Laks said that most of his customers have dumped the Acura product for the blitzsafe, and recommended that or a Harmon Kardon product.
I didn't think Blitzsafe had a product that was compatible with the '05-'06 RL's?
Do they?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the reminder about the upcoming revision. I may wait for some reports before I make a final decision about having this bloody thing yanked from my car.

It's the only part of my car I am genuinely unhappy with, everything else is great or at least passable.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ssim3
Does the HK unit have to use a modulator or caan it plug into the H/U directly?
The HK Drive+Play doesn't plug in the headunit CD changer plug, but can use the aux in plug. It also can use the a FM modulator that is built in to the HK product as well as the line out.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Does the 06 have an aux in?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ssim3
Does the 06 have an aux in?
oh sorry, the 06 doesn't have aux in, the 07 does.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Still a pile of poo

I just tried the new MusicLink with my 5G iPod. Works with less than 3.3 GB of music, doesn't work with more than that.

I have decided to just cave in and buy a Nano just for use in the car, and load up my current favorite playlists. This is the cheapest and most practical solution for me right now because a) After my recent tinting incident, I don't want anyone touching the interior of my car again, b) to go aftermarket, I have to buy the equipment and pay someone to rip up my center console again--that would cost more than the Nano.

Heed my warning and stay away from MusicLink!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I forgot to mention in my last response that I have had no issues with this iPod. It connects to my home dock, my laptop, and my desktop without problems and no data loss. I've even tried restoring it again.

Edit: some progress. I have been taking individual steps to determine where on my iPod the problem might be. After the first step, removing all the playlists, I was able to play all of my 10 GB of music with MusicLink. Can't figure out what happened but I'm pleased I can now use my iPod properly.

I may experiment with using the TTS software but am in no hurry to do so.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you running version 1.2.1 on your ipod? Some users on the RDX forum reported that upgrading the version 1.2.1 fixed some of their problems.

Another option you have that you didn't mention was getting a different ipod adapter. The Neo ipod adapter works great. Much better than the musiclink.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have a 5G 80 Gb iPod (Windows version) that has 55 Gb of music and I have no problem in shuffle mode (songs). I have yet to load the TTS software and try.