2006 RD Tech - Nav Radio stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009 | 02:29 PM
10th Gear

2006 RD Tech - Nav Radio stopped working

All:

I am looking for any tips I can get.

About 3 weeks ago my Nav Radio stoped displaying the red yellow and green overlay on my maps. I have called XM twice and had them resend the activation code to the radio and nothing works.

Can anyone provide me any troubleshooting steps before I take the car to the dealer..

I have seen some posts here from 2004 about this happening but I have not found any reecent points

thanks for any tips and tricks!!!

gary
Old 09-02-2009 | 03:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

gary,

Are you referring to traffic flow indicators on NAV Traffic?

Assuming so, a few things to check:

1) Map Zoom level - Be sure you are zoomed within the <traffic> scale.
2) Check your NAV Icons menu to be sure you have appropriate icons displayed.
3) Are traffic incidents still displaying? If so, NAV Traffic is active.

If the settings are not the issue and since you have already had XM reset, try rebooting your NAVI disc.

What city / market are you located in?
Old 09-02-2009 | 03:50 PM
10th Gear

thanks... 1 2 and 3 already done and checked... and Nav does not show up...

I live in the suburbs of DC... it has worked for me for the last 3 years

how do I reboot the Navi disc??
Old 09-03-2009 | 03:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

In the trunk, under the rear deck is the NAVI DVD drive unit. Open it and eject the disc. The re-insert the disc and the system will reboot.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:42 PM
Advanced

Hey guys,
I'm a newbie - just got mine 3 weeks ago as a CPO. My XM traffic worked great for a few days, then stopped.
Note that I'm also experiencing issue where the steering wheel doesn't positioning itself when I start the car. It does position itself when I go to the aux position or if I push in the ignition switch before starting the car.
Based on reviewing the threads, both of these issues lead me to believe I have a failing battery. These have been indicators for several different people. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. This will be their trial run for me in how they handle my maintenance issues too!
geek316, do you have any other electrical issues? Perhaps you're battery is failing too.
Old 09-04-2009 | 07:55 AM
10th Gear

No other electrical problems that I have seen...

I am curious why pulling the CD does anything differnet than turning on the car? it appeard to do the same thing on the screen.....

I did pull the CD and then re-inserted it and NAVTEQ overlays are still not displayed :-(

Any other ideas?
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:31 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Pulling the DVD would prompt the NAVI to reload the software if there was an issue.

If you have traffic incidents reporting then the issue may be with XM or NAVTEQ.

I will check my RL and see if it is showing traffic flow. Tampa has been one of the most reliable markets for NavTraffic. It may be a issue in your area.

XM and Sirius are still merging operations. This requires pulling redundant services. I had a period of 2 or 3 days earlier this summer when traffic flow was not displaying, but it popped up again on it's own.
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:39 AM
10th Gear

Thanks TampaRL

This has been going on now for about a month and I have had XM resend the activation signals twice without a change. I have a friend with a TL that the NAVTEQ overlays are working... it sounds like I need to take a trip to the dealer :-(
Old 09-04-2009 | 02:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I took a drive in my RL today (it has been over a month! ). My NavTraffic is working fine. I got reported traffic incidents, construction warnings and traffic flow indicators as normal. I even witnessed an accident on a secondary road which reported on my screen in less than 5 minutes.

Again, if you can see taffic incidents but not traffic flow (colored lines on highways) I would think NavTraffic was working on your RL, but something in the signal is not transmitting the traffic flow info. That can be sticky to diagnose as XM will say it is either NAVTEQ not sending them info, or your RL is the issue with reception.

If you are sure you are at the proper zoom range, you have your traffic icons turned on and you are recieving at least traffic incidents....try the dealer for a reset via the diagnostics. ANd onle last 'duh' thought....you have checked this with the car outside and in clear sattelite 'view'? In my garage, XM music works, but NOT XM NavTraffic.
Old 09-04-2009 | 10:53 PM
Advanced

gary/tamparl - this update may not help much, but here goes.
I made it to the dealer today (Oakland). They tested and then replaced the battery and reset the XM. The steering wheel positioning works! The XM traffic doesn't
They said it takes 20 minutes on XM channel 1 to resynch the traffic after a reset. If it didn't work, make an appointment to continue troubleshooting (my visit was a walk-in as suggested by the SM). I think I'll give XM a call over the next couple of days (assuming they troubleshoot over the 3-day weekend). If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the dealer.
Old 09-05-2009 | 06:09 AM
10th Gear

Make sure the Icon is on the Zoom bar when resetting NAVTEQ

I have done the XM reset thing twice and for me it did not fix my problem.... and here are a couple of tips though...
Be in the car when you call them but do not have the engine running ask them to send the reset to the car but before they do TURN on the car and press OK on the navi.

See, it appears that the NAVTEQ radio will only search for a signal for a given amount of time (you can tell becuase the traffic Icon is on the ZOOM bar disapears when it is not searching) I have been told that if it is not searching when they send the reset it will do nothing...

I hope that this helps!
Old 09-05-2009 | 04:02 PM
Advanced

gary,
Thanks - i tried this morning (before reading your post). So then I gave them a call. XM says that my service does not include traffic. It looks like my 3 month trial XM with my CPO was for radio only -- arrggh.
I guess I can call the dealer back...

Sorry I didn't do much to help your situation.