2005 RL Back Up Camera options

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL Back Up Camera options

Just picked up our 2005 RL - only 67K on it - stoked - loving this new ride so far...

Wife is requiring a back up camera (part of the deal); which appears to be feasible through various aftermarket interfaces and various types of cameras

Would really appreciate thoughts on best interface solution that will work with the system, and recommendation on cameras - I hear the Pioneers are excellent choices

System software is presently 2.01.01
I presume that is out of date - and there may also be an upgrade

Naturally looking to pair the Sumsung note as well - but that is another matter.

thank you!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
most of us are running eBay cameras... Check out the Navtool install threads.

Your best bet is google: https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1...safe=off&pws=0
Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
The problem I've observed is that the screen in the earlier RL's (mine is an 06) is that it is very dim for a few minutes in the morning. I have a feeling it would not be very useful as I backed out of my garage on a sunny morning. For that reason, I'm out. (Sorry, watching Shark Tank)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

haha... lets go in together and ask 40% royalty.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

hmmm -
thus far I hear the Pioneer cameras are best and the interface from Naval
then, I have to find an installer that is trustworthy.

thus the complexity - in that while I can trust the camera, and know already the screen has limitations - the interface and certification that it WILL work makes this a difficult project

I know dealers installed as an option in the 2006 - but the 2005 was the debut year - thus perhaps I am stuck and may have to give the wife the bad news on this install?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I really have no idea what you are talking about... but a fancy camera on a limited resolution screen wont net anything better than the picture that the screen is capable of.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
^THUS CORRECT SIR!!!

to OP: Best way to do it is to go with a video switching module such as the navtool and any camera really. The pioneer camera is great (tons of experience with it), but unless your using a pioneer interface your really buying a $400 camera to get the $50 feature out of it. The picture from the ebay camera's is just as good as the name brand camera's I've installed before.

Also the screen being dim at first isn't really a concern; because you will be using an alternative source compared to the Acura unit, the navtool and camera has no feature that dims the screen for a bit initially. The screen is just replicating the video signal that is being fed to it from the camera, nothing fancy about it.

Adding a separate screen wouldn't be ideal because it won't look like it's supposed to be there and you already have a perfectly good screen to work with (BTW it's an alpine screen, acura module. Fun fact: Alpine produces most of the factory used screens you see in vehicles today).

As far as an install goes, this is actually pretty basic. If you're capable of pulling your dash apart and know how to use a drill, you're probably capable to do this on your own.
The following users liked this post:
bennetthall (02-11-2015)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:18 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Nersh7

As a photographer/media artist I get it with the camera not needing to surpass the screen resolution - and it seems the Navtool video switch is the best for this purpose;

Bright glare on the screen is indeed a bit of an issue.

I found an installer in Alameda CA who seems capable, though he has not specifically done an RL.

I appreciate your ideas - cheers

Originally Posted by Nersh7
^THUS CORRECT SIR!!!

to OP: Best way to do it is to go with a video switching module such as the navtool and any camera really. The pioneer camera is great (tons of experience with it), but unless your using a pioneer interface your really buying a $400 camera to get the $50 feature out of it. The picture from the ebay camera's is just as good as the name brand camera's I've installed before.

Also the screen being dim at first isn't really a concern; because you will be using an alternative source compared to the Acura unit, the navtool and camera has no feature that dims the screen for a bit initially. The screen is just replicating the video signal that is being fed to it from the camera, nothing fancy about it.

Adding a separate screen wouldn't be ideal because it won't look like it's supposed to be there and you already have a perfectly good screen to work with (BTW it's an alpine screen, acura module. Fun fact: Alpine produces most of the factory used screens you see in vehicles today).

As far as an install goes, this is actually pretty basic. If you're capable of pulling your dash apart and know how to use a drill, you're probably capable to do this on your own.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

try this for glare...

NuShield - Best Quality Screen Protectors
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

I am trying with some effort to make a new post to this system - no idea if anyone will see this - however - if you do - and if you could tell me how to make a new post I would appreciate it - there is seemingly no 'new post button' on this site - and nothing in the FAQ etc about how to do it -

looking for some thoughts on front axle brake replacement - clearly a different thread than back up cameras - which sadly I have not resolved either

dealer just takes me into the full timing belt/tranny flush/tension bar etc replacement... now pushing the $540 brembo brakes