Wrong Place Wrong Time and My RL's Damaged

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wrong Place Wrong Time and My RL's Damaged

This is what I think happened based on the evidence remaining after the fact.

On interstae and a pick up truck pulling a trailor was pulling into the emergency lane. As soon as I pass him, the trailer tire shears off the tread on a recapped tire. The tread flies into my front bumper and passenger wheel.

What I know for a fact is, there was nothing in front of me in the road, it felt like I ran over a pothole at least 2 inches deep & at least the width of my tire, and see parts flying out the rear of my car in the rear view mirror.

What it did:

Scrape marks on the front corner passenger side of the bumper.

Knocked the corner of the bumper down and there is a 1/2 inch gap from the bumper to the bottom of the headlight cover (Just the passenger side). I pushed it back into place so the gap is now 1/4 inch.

Ripped the passenger fenderwell splash guard out.

Knocked my front end out of line (car drifting to right now).

I pulled over immediately after it happended and the truck was already going by me. SOB saw what happened, immediately got back on interstate, and drove away.
Happened too fast to get a tag number.

I am very depressed. I had just had the front end aligned and my baby was in great condition. Now I have bumper scrape marks, 1/4" gap between bumper and bottom of headlight cover, no fenderwell splash guard, and a drifting car.

I can't see an insurance company paying for a new bumber.
But their is probably internal damage I cant see. I suspect when the bumper ripped the fasteners out it probably ripped the holes in the bumper that the fasters are pushed through or tore the bumper in some way.

I can the insurance company aprroving repainting and positioning the bumper, new fender well splash guard, and realignment. I have a 200 dollar deductible.

I want a new bumper because it was fine befor now. The bumper has slight gash marks in it but not sunken in.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That sucks. What a jerk that other guy was.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your right. Wrong place, wrong time. That sucks. But not sure someone can be held responsible for rubber blowing off a tire. Might fall under "act of God" category (aka "shit happens"). Probably would be just like a tree branch on someones street tree falling on your car. Especially in NJ where it's a no-fault system. Not sure that makes you feel better
Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry Steve. Must be Dyslexic. Read LuvMyTSX's comment and thought he was the OP. SC may not be No-Fault but I'm still pretty sure about my assessment. I also agree they probably won't replace the entire bumper unless necessary. Bring it to a good certified repair shop (or your Acura dealer) and they'll make it as good as new. It's probably just cosmetic damage. The wheel is out of allignment but that can happen easily with a hard jolt and is just as easily fixed.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Sorry to hear.

It can, and will be fixed. Most inportant you were uninjured.

I have had 2 instances where my vehichle was damaged by trucks on the road.

Both cases the truck driver witnessed the damage they inflicted. Both cases they driver kept going.

In incident sheets of plywood that flew off the back of the truck on the highway (inproperly secured). One case was a tire tread shredding just as yours situation. In both situations, my insurance covered the damages. But in both cases I got the truck company and tag number. My insurance company pressed and was reimbursed from both truck companies and in the case of the plywood truck, the driver was issued a citation.

It was a painful process still. And to this day I avoid trucks on the roads, and even worse the pickup trucks with projectile beer cans in the truck beds, trash piled and unsecured all while the tailgate is open. I drive with a disposition that the majority of drivers are inconsiderate scum.

Just another reason I cannot own a gun.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel for you brother!

You will feel a lot better once it is fixed. I hope that beautiful machine is back into mint condition soon. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Sorry to hear about this....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
sorry about this unfortunate event
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank's for the kind words guys. I'm already on the move to getting her fixed. Ordered parts and feeling better!

I hate this little box. Let's do a test.

"This is a test to see if a word document with a picture can be pasted."

Looks like the text can but picture won't. Oh well, text is great too. Now I can post much much nicer. Did I say I hate this little box.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
sorry to hear about this as well.

Why won't insurance cover a new bumper or repair???? Mine would, everything except the deductible...it's also a no-fault incident, your rates should not change. The only issue is that you might have to prove you didn't hit something instead of something hitting you. A good adjustor should be able to tell.