Would this be a good move??? NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this be a good move??? NEED ADVICE

Hello All,

I'll make it quick... I was wondering if any out there had an RL and traded it in for the new TL-S?? I'm just trying to weigh out options and to see if it would honestly be worth it or not. Please give me your opinions and let me know.

FYI... I'm 24 yrs old. And i think i'm getting a lil bored with the RL due to it be a full body LUXERY-sport vs a SPORT luxery. I had an 05 TL and i traded it in July of this year for an 05 RL. But i want to make sure it would be a good move. Maybe not comparable by the TL-Type S not being AWD but would it be a good move and worth it?

Thanks in advance,

David L.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
These are two different cars, ppl already got into arguments comparing both. After owning AWD, RWD, and FWD; if you truly want a sporty car, imo, get a RWD vehicle. Type-S is over-rated imo. You already had a TL, just imagine it with some suspension/brakes/and HP tweaks. Is it then the car for you?

Bottom line: TEST DRIVE the Type S.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RL_Prospect
Hello All,

I'll make it quick... I was wondering if any out there had an RL and traded it in for the new TL-S?? I'm just trying to weigh out options and to see if it would honestly be worth it or not. Please give me your opinions and let me know.

FYI... I'm 24 yrs old. And i think i'm getting a lil bored with the RL due to it be a full body LUXERY-sport vs a SPORT luxery. I had an 05 TL and i traded it in July of this year for an 05 RL. But i want to make sure it would be a good move. Maybe not comparable by the TL-Type S not being AWD but would it be a good move and worth it?

Thanks in advance,

David L.
Put the A-Spec suspension on your RL - it's probably cheaper than trading in your car and raises the sport factor on the RL. Why would you want to go back to FWD sports sedan with more torque steer than you had on your 2005?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Before I bought my 06 RL, I was actually looking at the Type-S. When we test drove the Type-S, we floored the demo car and was very dissapointed at the torque steer. We knew about this going in because obviously it is a FWD but to actually feel it.....that's another story. However, I was still consideting it but when I found out I have to pay "sticker" for it, my focus shifted to the RL. For a couple of grand more, the RL came in to play. I test drove the car and for comparison sake, I floored the car from a dead stop, and this baby shot straight like an arrow! I also like the fact that there is not too many RL's around. The TL's are all over the place...don't you agree? Anyway, it sounds like you are staying in the Acura family, so either way you are set!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should stick to your RL, throw in some mods and I think you'd be very happy with the RL's performance. I avoided the TL since I see too many of them around this area. Hardly ever see a RL.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Pro

I was told that the TL-S has reduced power in first and second gear to help control (reduce) torque steer. If this is so, it will reduce acceleration. I believe the reduced power comes from the computer and only at full power, as needed.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:15 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Touge, do you have the write up available for the AEM CAI? With the special bracket it should be pretty easy to intall right? I have done a short ram on my old TL, but have never installed a CAI. But I also installed comptech springs, exhaust, and sway bars on my old TL. So I guess I should be ok eh?

Originally Posted by Touge
I think you should stick to your RL, throw in some mods and I think you'd be very happy with the RL's performance. I avoided the TL since I see too many of them around this area. Hardly ever see a RL.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
office monkey

Why'd you get the RL in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me that you'd go from a TL to the RL then contemplate going back to a TL regardless of it being the type-S.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!

Definitely NOT a good move financially to trade so quickly. IMHO, putting an A-Spec suspension (or an aftermarket suspension) and wheels, with decent rubber on your RL will increase the "sport" in it. I now have done 3k with this combo and will never look back. If you were in Cleveland, I'd give you a ride to show you how good the dynamics are.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
Before I bought my 06 RL, I was actually looking at the Type-S. When we test drove the Type-S, we floored the demo car and was very dissapointed at the torque steer. We knew about this going in because obviously it is a FWD but to actually feel it.....that's another story. However, I was still consideting it but when I found out I have to pay "sticker" for it, my focus shifted to the RL. For a couple of grand more, the RL came in to play. I test drove the car and for comparison sake, I floored the car from a dead stop, and this baby shot straight like an arrow! I also like the fact that there is not too many RL's around. The TL's are all over the place...don't you agree? Anyway, it sounds like you are staying in the Acura family, so either way you are set!
I have to totally agree with the above. I found the same situation exactly. The RL was not really a target until I found out exactly what TLtoRL found with regards to price/performance.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Putting aside the fact that it doesn't worth your money to do the switch, I would still pick the RL for many reasons:

1.) Going from RL to a TL is a downgrade.

2.) From a safety perspective, the RL is a safer car. It has more safety features than the TL and its SH-AWD makes the car safe in bad weather conditions.

3.) RL was the Car of the Year in Japan in 2005.

4.) The handling of the RL is in the league of a BMW 5 series.

5.) RL has more standard features.

By no means is the TL-S a bad car as I drive a 2G TL-S now, but I just prefer the RL more. If you want more speed, simply modify your RL.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:37 PM
4th Gear

Thanks to all for your advice. I think it's a unanomous vote to stick w/ my RL. Don't get me wrong i absolutely LOVE the RL. The ride couldn't be any smoother and the take off is really fast as one of the guys aforementioned. I guess if i would've thought about all sides, i would've thought about the A-Spec for the RL. That will definitely be on the list. You all are right, that's what it needs to get that "sporty" look back.

neuronbob.... i didn't even know you had the RL. For the longest you had your TL i think since the model changed back in 2004. How did you go about getting the Aspec kit? Send me a message if need to.

Thanks again all.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
4th Gear

Or does anyone know where i could possibly get the Aspec kit for a lil less of the price? I already know installation is gonna hit me over the head!!! :-(
Old 12-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Or does anyone know where i could possibly get the Aspec kit for a lil less of the price? I already know installation is gonna hit me over the head!!! :-(
Try eBay - I bought the suspension kit from Curry Acura (eBay member name acuradeals). They sell the suspension and wheels (with or without tires) separately or together as part of a package. Much better prices than any dealer quote I received.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It sounds like you've already decided to stick with the RL which I too was going to suggest. As many here have expressed, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference the A-Spec bits will make in appearance and driving pleasure. If it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words, you can see my A-Spec'd RL here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2927
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a BMW. If you're going to trade in your RL, get a 3 Series or 5 Series, but I definitely wouldn't trade in an RL for a TL Type S.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Sounds to me like you need a BMW. If you're going to trade in your RL, get a 3 Series or 5 Series, but I definitely wouldn't trade in an RL for a TL Type S.
jhr3uva90.... i actually thought about this but i hate how everything is an option with a BMW. I can take a 3 series and by the time i get everything i want added, i'm at the price of an entry level 5 series, which is the price or very close to the price of the RL. And since i'm a loyal Acura/honda customer, that rules that out.

What do you guys suggest i get now/later?? I just got off the phone w/ Curry and they were saying you can do the kit in pieces. So i would definitely want the front/rear/side underbody kits and wondering if i should go ahead and add the a-spec suspension or keep the factory suspension? I prolly won't switch out the tires until it's time to replace my tires that came with it. That'll be another 10-15k miles (more or less). What do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Drifting

jhr3uva90.... i actually thought about this but i hate how everything is an option with a BMW. I can take a 3 series and by the time i get everything i want added, i'm at the price of an entry level 5 series, which is the price or very close to the price of the RL. And since i'm a loyal Acura/honda customer, that rules that out.

What do you guys suggest i get now/later?? I just got off the phone w/ Curry and they were saying you can do the kit in pieces. So i would definitely want the front/rear/side underbody kits and wondering if i should go ahead and add the a-spec suspension or keep the factory suspension? I prolly won't switch out the tires until it's time to replace my tires that came with it. That'll be another 10-15k miles (more or less). What do you guys think?
The real difference maker is the A-Spec suspension.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Treblig I like your car very much. It's such a nice looking vehicle. The A-spec kit made the RL aggressive without over doing it, everything is so balanced. I can imagine an A-spec'd RL sitting in my garage in the future just like yours.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Kit is more for asthetics despite the marketing hoopla. Suspension will make the most difference. Start with that.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Moto Enthusiast

I definitely wouldn't trade the RL back in for a TL-S, but I know what you mean by being bored with the RL. It's an awesome luxury cruiser that handles daily driving well enough, but it doesn't necessarily cure the "I want more sport" disease. Anyhow, despite being a little bored with my RL, I still find satisfaction in knowing that there aren't too many RL's out on the road compared to the TL and TSX. Everybody and their mom drives those things, no offense to their owners.

Sometimes I forget how good I have it with the RL, but when I see another one out on the road, a smile comes to my face and I can't help but think to myself "Damn, that's a really nice car!"
Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Maybe we should all wait fo the new NSX replacement? That car could give us the excitement we crave.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by iforyou
Treblig I like your car very much. It's such a nice looking vehicle. The A-spec kit made the RL aggressive without over doing it, everything is so balanced. I can imagine an A-spec'd RL sitting in my garage in the future just like yours.
Thanks.