Where can I buy an 05 RL Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I buy an 05 RL Fog Light

Looking for a better price than the $188 the dealer wants. Every link, on this site, I searched on appears to be gone.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
acuraoemparts

car-part

both of those are dot coms and the first is a dealer and the second is used parts
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
is $188 including install? I've seen fogs for the 09 go for $40 pair...dunno
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you need the whole fog light, or just a part?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plenty of folks replace RL fog lamps (both) with an HID kit for less than $100. Search the forum for links.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some Sylvania H 11 Bulb $ 33- Halogens
since Low Beans HID are so bright. Dont buy some cheap H11 bulbs for 6 dollars or 12 bucks, they dont last long....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H11-S...Q5fAccessories

Or you cna spend $ 110 for HID Fog light kit.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
i need the housing too...

my lens cracked. and i need to get that repaired. and the only way to repair it is by replacing the housing sucks i know.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RL Chi-town

my lens cracked. and i need to get that repaired. and the only way to repair it is by replacing the housing sucks i know.
I would search. I recall someone replaced their lens only by getting it cut at a glass place, and sealing it themselves. There is a thread somewhere.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

i am also looking for fog light housing as well as i have a crack in the lens.

so far the only thing i can find is on ebay hella light brand, which isn't really what i'm looking for.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by Ginku
i am also looking for fog light housing as well as i have a crack in the lens.

so far the only thing i can find is on ebay hella light brand, which isn't really what i'm looking for.

Ditto. Very common problem. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My right front fog light also has a cracked lens. I'm going to use the fog light protective cover I got with the headlight protective covers I recent bought, to see if they prevent further damage. Thinking it going to have to warm up a bit for this project to work.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Instructor

I thought a rock hit it or something but sure enough my right lens is also broken. It sure sounds like a factory defect. Mine has been broken for years but the bulb is still working.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Any of you have pictures of the cracks?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
Any of you have pictures of the cracks?
No picture, but its horizontal...parallel to the bumper line.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Because depending on the type of crack it is, some clear epoxy followed by a polish of the lens might work as a cheap/decent loking fix. Only in certain scenarios though.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
i just bought some from advanced auto parts for 24 bucks...... One is out already don't know why and i did the install myself.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

Here is a potential DIY, granted for a TL, but it might work
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/lexan-fog-light-fix-painted-fog-lights-diy-694354/

Here is another, by a departed member, granted, not for an RL either.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/broken-fog-light-lens-500116/

Although it would seem as if the cheapest would be to replace with 3000K HID as 037 did.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Did the Headlight and [cracked]fog light protectors today. Took about an hour, which included the turn signal protectors. The fog light crack is still there , but no water will get to the lamp. Cost was $49.95 and one hour of labor.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XXBogey
Did the Headlight and [cracked]fog light protectors today. Took about an hour, which included the turn signal protectors. The fog light crack is still there , but no water will get to the lamp. Cost was $49.95 and one hour of labor.
Did you buy the kit online? If so, could you please share a link?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by armashi
Did you buy the kit online? If so, could you please share a link?
Glad to share www.drivingcomfort.com
They even included protection strips for the turn signal lights which was not mentioned in the ad. I used a hair dryer and it was more than sufficient, even at our 40*F temp. today. I started with the uncracked fog light and then went to the turn signals to get the feel of the application.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XXBogey
Glad to share www.drivingcomfort.com
They even included protection strips for the turn signal lights which was not mentioned in the ad. I used a hair dryer and it was more than sufficient, even at our 40*F temp. today. I started with the uncracked fog light and then went to the turn signals to get the feel of the application.
Terrific! Thanks for the share Bogey!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
My drivers side fog light recently cracked and I'm possibly going to see if I can replace just the glass without replacing the entire fog light. A question though...can the glass be replaced with plexiglass? I know home depot sells sheets of this, but didn't know if it would be advised to only replace with glass due to heat or other factors I might not know of. Anyone have any insights or advice? If plexiglass could be used, I would think the replacement would be much easier, but not completely sure.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
so bogey did this work out for you.. .shit i need to do that if it did. i want to put my HID kit on but i am afraid that they will burn out with some water getting in thru the crack...

but let me know...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhal
My drivers side fog light recently cracked and I'm possibly going to see if I can replace just the glass without replacing the entire fog light. A question though...can the glass be replaced with plexiglass? I know home depot sells sheets of this, but didn't know if it would be advised to only replace with glass due to heat or other factors I might not know of. Anyone have any insights or advice? If plexiglass could be used, I would think the replacement would be much easier, but not completely sure.

Glass is much stronger than the plexiglass they sell at home depot. Now if it was the same type of platic used in headlights it would be a different story. Plexiglass isn't as translucent and could melt as well.

there seems to be alot of people with this problem, any chance of a recall on too thin a glass maybe?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Glass is much stronger than the plexiglass they sell at home depot. Now if it was the same type of platic used in headlights it would be a different story. Plexiglass isn't as translucent and could melt as well.
Thanks for the info...I went to home depot and found that they sell small sheets of glass and glass cutters. I'm going to attempt this fix today.

there seems to be alot of people with this problem, any chance of a recall on too thin a glass maybe?
It does seem like quite a common problem...it would be nice if there were a recall on it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
here seems to be alot of people with this problem, any chance of a recall on too thin a glass maybe?
HAH! We wish. This is undoubtedly a common problem on the RL. One way to be at least a little preventive is to use Xpel or 3M headlight/foglight protection. Sure, it doesn't protect against large stones, but against smaller ones it seems to be effective.

BTW, $188 was not the offered price a couple of years ago, it was more like $350 if memory serves.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

I had a work acquaintance who had a WRX. She said a foglight replacement was $800+ due to a cracked lens.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Cracked Fog light repair

so bogey did this work out for you.. .shit i need to do that if it did. i want to put my HID kit on but i am afraid that they will burn out with some water getting in thru the crack...

but let me know...
Haven't had it out in a major rainstorm yet...but I can't imagine water getting through that crack. Mine is from side to side through the middle. It has a rock
chip in the center. It was very easy installation and you will have the additional benefit of protecting the headlights if you buy the kit. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I should have made a DIY as its very easy to do. I replaced the lens yesterday on my brothers 05 RL. Just like the 2G TL the lenses for OEM fogs are made out of glass and eventually they will break due to a rock impact.

You can replace the lens with Plexiglas , not just any regular Plexiglass though, you'd need Lexnan MR-10 plexiglass. Its the same stuff headlight lenses are made out of, its good against UV rays, high heat from fog light output and also is scratch resistant to a certain extent.

A sheet of MR-10 can be picked up from ebay for around $30 or so which would be good for two fog lights. I had some left over from another project which I ended up using.

-- Break off all the old glass, be careful and wear gloves.
-- Clean the silicon channel.
-- Put the fog light housing onto the plexi sheet, draw the outline so you know where to cut the plexi.
-- Cut the plexi using dremel or a hack saw.
-- Fill the silicone channel with RTV black, make sure that the silicone level is not above the inner fog light rim, this will make sure that once you install the lens the silicone wont ooze into the fog light.
-- Take off the protective film off of the plexi.
-- Install the plexi onto the fog light, apply some electirical tape over the lens and around the fog light to keep the lens in place.
-- Wearing a glove, use your finger to fill the gap between the lens and the fog light with the RTV silicone, while filling the gap you'll notice how the silicone wont ooze into the fog light a the inner lip of the fog light will prevent it from happening.
-- Give the silicone 24 hours to cure before re-installing.

The whole job took me an hour to complete, I just had to do one fog. The only bad part is that one light looks brand new now and the other looks roughed up. Once the other one breaks I'll do the same thing on that one and may be write another DIY with pictures.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

BTW you can use either 1/4" or 3/8" thick MR-10. I used 3/8" as that is what I had with me.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Safety Car

So just out of curiosity, I know in general, Lexan is a polycarbonate resin, and that polycarbonate has a high impact resistance, and is a natural UV filter. I do not know about heat resistance...will the fogs do anything to the Lexan, since halogens burn pretty hot. I do know that Lexan is not that scratch resistant, so I am wondering if you plan to put a protective film over it to protect the clarity, or just take your chances? I suppose you can always use one of those headlight cloudiness repair kits on it.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chas2
So just out of curiosity, I know in general, Lexan is a polycarbonate resin, and that polycarbonate has a high impact resistance, and is a natural UV filter. I do not know about heat resistance...will the fogs do anything to the Lexan, since halogens burn pretty hot. I do know that Lexan is not that scratch resistant, so I am wondering if you plan to put a protective film over it to protect the clarity, or just take your chances? I suppose you can always use one of those headlight cloudiness repair kits on it.

Thanks
Lexans can handle heat from regular halogen at 35 and 55 watt, I had them on my 2G TL for more than 2 years without any issue and for some time I also ran an HID kit in the fogs as well.

I dont intend on putting any sort of film on them as I can always change the lens if it gets too roughed up. Also, yes, the MR-10 isnt scratch resistant but does resist normal swirls etc better than regular plexi. Think of it as the same plastic as is used for your headlights, what ever your headlights can bare the MR-10 can bare the same.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JnC
I should have made a DIY as its very easy to do. I replaced the lens yesterday on my brothers 05 RL. Just like the 2G TL the lenses for OEM fogs are made out of glass and eventually they will break due to a rock impact.

You can replace the lens with Plexiglas , not just any regular Plexiglass though, you'd need Lexnan MR-10 plexiglass. Its the same stuff headlight lenses are made out of, its good against UV rays, high heat from fog light output and also is scratch resistant to a certain extent.

A sheet of MR-10 can be picked up from ebay for around $30 or so which would be good for two fog lights. I had some left over from another project which I ended up using.

-- Break off all the old glass, be careful and wear gloves.
-- Clean the silicon channel.
-- Put the fog light housing onto the plexi sheet, draw the outline so you know where to cut the plexi.
-- Cut the plexi using dremel or a hack saw.
-- Fill the silicone channel with RTV black, make sure that the silicone level is not above the inner fog light rim, this will make sure that once you install the lens the silicone wont ooze into the fog light.
-- Take off the protective film off of the plexi.
-- Install the plexi onto the fog light, apply some electirical tape over the lens and around the fog light to keep the lens in place.
-- Wearing a glove, use your finger to fill the gap between the lens and the fog light with the RTV silicone, while filling the gap you'll notice how the silicone wont ooze into the fog light a the inner lip of the fog light will prevent it from happening.
-- Give the silicone 24 hours to cure before re-installing.

The whole job took me an hour to complete, I just had to do one fog. The only bad part is that one light looks brand new now and the other looks roughed up. Once the other one breaks I'll do the same thing on that one and may be write another DIY with pictures.
Great instructions! This is similiar to what I did when I replaced it with glass.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/g-009-diy-rl-fog-light-glass-replacement-769528/
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JnC
Lexans can handle heat from regular halogen at 35 and 55 watt, I had them on my 2G TL for more than 2 years without any issue and for some time I also ran an HID kit in the fogs as well.

I dont intend on putting any sort of film on them as I can always change the lens if it gets too roughed up. Also, yes, the MR-10 isnt scratch resistant but does resist normal swirls etc better than regular plexi. Think of it as the same plastic as is used for your headlights, what ever your headlights can bare the MR-10 can bare the same.
Thanks, good to learn about Lexan MR-10 properties! I will file this away for future use.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice work on the lexan idea! That's sure a better deal than replacing the lights (which I did, before putting rock guard film on them).
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So how do you get the light assembly out without taking the bumper off?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Not sure that you can, especially on the drivers side where the air intake is in the way.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
yeah I dont think you can especially on the drivers side there is a tube (air intake maybe) that makes it a very tight squeeze to get to that top screw from the access panel.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

you can get a replacement oem foglight lens for about $125. try http://acura.bernardiparts.com/
then on the top choose acura parts & accessories you can choose by VIN# or make and model

Last edited by fredren; 04-18-2010 at 02:17 PM.