What makes an RL great

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
What makes an RL great

I've had my eye on a second generation RL on and off the last couple years. It appeals to me in several ways:

-Acura is a great middle-ground. It's a class above things like Toyota and Honda, but it's not too flashy like a Lexus or BMW badge is.
-Has several great features that I appreciate. I've not sat in one, but heard it was tremendous build quality, real wood, great leather all around, fantastic sound system, and some other goodies like sunshades, heated seats, auto-dimming side mirrors, XM radio, etc.
-Reliability and cost of ownership very similar to a Lexus.

I had an 07 TL that was nice but I got tired of feeling every bump in the road. Long trips weren't very enjoyable, even though the inside was pretty nice. What can you all tell me in comparison of the TL vs the inside of an RL? Is it really that much nicer? What about quietness while driving and smoothness? What about back-seat space?

I couldn't care less about 0-60 times or handling around corners as fast as I can. The AWD system is a bonus to me and adds weight, which makes the car more stable and more enjoyable on long trips.

Oh and I won't even consider an 09-12 RL 09-10 is on par with the spindle grille Lexus for ugliest design in history, while the 11-12, improved but still ugly, is as rare as hen's teeth and very expensive if you do find one.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RL is bigger (more spacious front/back), softer, and quieter (RL has more sound dampening, and active noise cancellation) than the TL. It is heavier (literally ~4000 lb) and obviously AWD, so expect worse fuel economy. I'm averaging about 20-22 MPG in mixed driving. I think I peaked at 27-28 cruising on the highway. The 3.5L is a great engine, though. It's basically the same as the 3G TL-S. The RL dash doesn't split open like the TL, but the RL glove box covers are almost universally junk, and the arm rests tend to rip & tear if they're not handled with care. If I was buying again I'd try to get one from 2007 or 2008 so I get the AUX audio input--way easier to add phone/Bluetooth music than taking apart the dash & console to add a module from GROM or USAspec. I think you're right about 05-08 looking better than 09-12, which is good because 09-12 uses the 3.7L which may have oil consumption problems.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:08 AM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by kyzzyle
RL is bigger (more spacious front/back), softer, and quieter (RL has more sound dampening, and active noise cancellation) than the TL. It is heavier (literally ~4000 lb) and obviously AWD, so expect worse fuel economy. I'm averaging about 20-22 MPG in mixed driving. I think I peaked at 27-28 cruising on the highway. The 3.5L is a great engine, though. It's basically the same as the 3G TL-S. The RL dash doesn't split open like the TL, but the RL glove box covers are almost universally junk, and the arm rests tend to rip & tear if they're not handled with care. If I was buying again I'd try to get one from 2007 or 2008 so I get the AUX audio input--way easier to add phone/Bluetooth music than taking apart the dash & console to add a module from GROM or USAspec. I think you're right about 05-08 looking better than 09-12, which is good because 09-12 uses the 3.7L which may have oil consumption problems.
Well, my '07 has the same problem with the arm rests and glove box cover.....just sayin'. As for fuel economy, consider an RLX Sport Hybrid?
Old 10-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
There is something about the RL that's a cut above most cars. My 2006, with 130000 miles continues to be satisfying. I shopped the 2006 TL at the same time, and found the RL significantly more comfortable - the driver's seat in the RL was much more comfortable for my size and shape. The RL has a classier cabin and higher grade materials, and was definitely quieter. And the AWD meant it handled very well for its weight. The paint on the RL has held up quite well as they used a special process. The RL is more "solid" feeling as well.

I replaced the shocks in 2014, so a 2007 or 2008 might ride nicely but get a little bouncy if the shocks are original. Mine has the 18" wheels, so the original 17" wheels might have a better ride.

I've replaced the door and center console armrest covers using the covers that can be found on ebay. They actually seem a little more durable than the original pads. One has to be comfortable removing a door panel for the arm rests. There are helpful youtube videos easily found with "Acura RL armrest replacement". The center console also requires some comfort with removing things.

Due to the melting issue, I replaced the entire glovebox in 2017 back when they were still in stock. It has held up well so far, so they may have changed the materials.

I added the USA spec BT45 Acura kit which is mounted in the trunk, so I can bluetooth over my phone. Prior to that I used an FM-Bluetooth transmitter which was OK, but low fidelity. The CD changer has been replaced and repaired several times (I'm old school and still listen to DVD Audio disks which highlight the superior sound system).

MPG is about 15-17 in local stop and go commutes, and up to 27/28 on the highway.

It's going to be a dying breed -- a V-6 sedan. Drive one and see what you think.
The following users liked this post:
kyzzyle (10-09-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Indeed; my understanding is that the TL is very much an American Honda and the RL is very much a Japanese Honda.

One would have to pay an awful lot of money in order to find something actually better.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
I agree 100% with all the nice things said about the RL here, except that it's not really much roomier than the same-size TL. It is much more comfortable, though.

I sold my RL to a family member and bought a new Lexus ES. The ES is a fine car, but the RL is clearly made of more special and expensive stuff, where you can see and where you can't. It's a truly premium car.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My RL reminds me of a Mercedes Benz from the 80s - 90s when they were sorta tank like, in a good way. It’s a solidly built, understated, great performing car. Not the fastest, not the flashiest, just a great quality car. I bought mine a few months ago, I’m planning to maintain it and drive it til it’s dead, it feels like it’s going to make at least 250k, maybe a lot more. I’m starting at 126k, on an 05. As of now, the glovebox is the only thing that really bugs me, everything else is solid. Most comfortable interior I’ve ever seen.
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (10-20-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Indeed; those superb Ezy-Boy chairs take up a lot of interior space and so it's perhaps a bit cramped in the rear leg area. It's a big car for Japan, but rather medium (TL)-sized for the US.

Had the sales volume been there, perhaps they might have offered a an RL-L for the US & China, as so many manufacturers do.

But it's all ancient history, now.

I plan to keep mine until 'parts NLA' means it's unfeasible. Not all Acura RL parts are interchangeable with the EU version and there are too few Leg Ends left over here for spares.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravel
I bought mine a few months ago, I’m planning to maintain it and drive it til it’s dead, it feels like it’s going to make at least 250k, maybe a lot more. I’m starting at 126k, on an 05. As of now, the glovebox is the only thing that really bugs me, everything else is solid. Most comfortable interior I’ve ever seen.
Congratulations. Just 3 weeks ago I upgraded from a '98 RL (who just turned 25, and is about to be donated), to a 2nd Gen. 2006! Big step forward. I test drove a dozen cars and realized that I preferred the way my old RL drove to newer cars. So, I started over and found an RL -- merely 17 years old! It's been well cared for and the interior especially, as you say, is exceedingly nice! I enjoy just about every minute in it!

Craig
The following 3 users liked this post by CraigRL:
Gimpies-Daddy (02-06-2023), TonyCD (02-10-2023), w8tlifterty (10-23-2023)