View Poll Results: What features do you want to see in the new RL?
V6 with more low-end torque
47.93%
V6 diesel option
19.83%
V8 option
45.45%
6-speed transmission
57.02%
8-speed transmission
31.40%
FWD option (in addition to SH-AWD)
3.31%
RWD option (in addition to SH-AWD)
32.23%
Change to touch screen navi
20.66%
Keep current navi, with more features
47.11%
Cooled or ventilated seats
76.86%
Larger trunk
33.06%
More rear seat space
37.19%
Sporty suspension option
46.28%
Luxury (soft) suspension option
18.18%
18" wheels standard
63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

What features do you want to see in the new RL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
You guys bring up a good point in leaving the RL alone other than some performance improvements so it becomes the 5-series fighter. Acura REALLY needs a car above the RL to attract those with the income to support such a car. They don't need a 7-series fighter (the 7-series is selling very slowly for a BMW lately), but a Lexus LS460-fighter.

Then they need to fricken market the hell out of that puppy.

My ideal Acura lineup:

Cars:
TSX (4-banger base, 4-banger turbo option)/coupe--entry model
TL (3.5 l FWD base, SH-AWD option, 3.7 l TL-S option)/coupe--3-series fighter
RL (3.7 l FWD base, SH-AWD option, 4.6 l V8 RL-S SH-AWD no holds barred option)--5-series fighter
XL (Big-assed, no-holds barred RWD car with 4.6 l V8 engine, has every option imaginable)--Lex LS460-fighter
NSX--I want to buy/lease one before I die, please!

Trucks:
RDX (please make it a V6 already, maybe a 3.2 or 3.5)
MDX (no changes)
XLX (same as XL but SUV)
I think the XL would be a very cool car. even though alot of people hate the MDX grill, I think that type of grill on a big sedan would look very good. It is very hard to get into that niche of sedans unfortunately (as seen with the Phaeton and Q45). Acura would have to do so much publicity because people who are in the market for a car like that go benz, bmw, lexus and audi automatically.

I also think that if acura created an 6 series sized coupe, it would help with the upperend car sales.

And the final car that Acura needs is a convertible.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by busterrobertson
Acura would have to do so much publicity because people who are in the market for a car like that go benz, bmw, lexus and audi automatically.
This is Acura's biggest problem, how to use their marketing to convince people of its luxury status.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
This is what Honda should do with upgrading the Nav on the next RL

This may be a little OT, and something that Honda will probably not do, but this article on from the Washington Post is very interesting on the Ford and Microsoft attempt at vehicle telematics. That one can download software updates via USB from a desktop and update one of the vehicles computers for driver interface is pretty cool.

Also he fact that Honda has been doing a version of this in the RL since late 2004 is not even mentioned or recognized.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120800006.html
Old 12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
What I'd like for the next gen RL

1. More Space in the rear passenger area
2. 19 inch wheels
3. Rain Sensor
4. V-8 engine with more horsepower
5. Hybrid
6. Larger trunk
7. More real wood all over the interior
8. Better sound system
9. Rear entertainment system

RL- S makes sense to me. Have 2 models- ours- and the new RL-S
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

acuralvr1, I merged your new thread into this larger thread on requested features because it really belongs here.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
According to the January, 2008 issue of Motor Trend, Honda president Takeo Fukui has now gone on record publicly as stating Honda is "working on" a diesel V-6.

But he also says it's destined for the Ridgeline, Pilot and MDX, and he gave no prediction for when it will show up.

No mention of it in an RL.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
According to the January, 2008 issue of Motor Trend, Honda president Takeo Fukui has now gone on record publicly as stating Honda is "working on" a diesel V-6.

But he also says it's destined for the Ridgeline, Pilot and MDX, and he gave no prediction for when it will show up.

No mention of it in an RL.

Mike, what are the benefits of a diesel engine- better gas mileage? I know that finding that type of fuel is difficult- at least where I live.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
Mike, what are the benefits of a diesel engine- better gas mileage? I know that finding that type of fuel is difficult- at least where I live.
Yeah, diesels generally offer better mileage and more torque than comparable gasoline engines.

I bring this news up because there are some on the forum who really want a diesel in the RL. I'm personally not sold yet, but the new breed of diesels may turn out to be fine.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow, these poll results are remarkably consistent. The most favored options are still

1. Cooled or ventilated seats
2. 18" wheels standard
3. 6-speed tranny

Not surprisingly, of the engine options, the most popular is a V8 option.

I sure hope Acura is reading. I know we're a bunch of forum nerds, but the people here have the bucks to buy an RL and some, like me, are thinking of going away from Acura for our next purchases. Here's hoping the next RL will be kickass.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

I wouldn't mind the cooled seats, but I really don't care about the 18" wheels or 6-speed tranny. I'd be fine with 15" wheels and a 4-speed tranny (but I still want a lot of power).

I drove a 2007 Audi Q7 today.

It had really great adaptive cruise control. It works at any speed and will bring the car to a complete stop (although it won't resume from a complete stop). I really wish Acura would step up to this level.

It has both an analog and a digital speedo. I loved the digital speedo! Acura, are you listening?

The nav system on the Q7 totally blows. Oh, and it had a lot of rattles (it had 4100 miles on the odometer).
Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by William4
I'd be fine with 15" wheels and a 4-speed tranny (but I still want a lot of power).
Sweet Mother of Mercy, please deliver us from that!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by William4
... I'd be fine with 15" wheels and a 4-speed tranny (but I still want a lot of power)...
Sounds like my old 2G Legend. That is one car where 16" wheels and 50 series tires made a huge difference over the 15 inch 60 series donuts that were stock.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Interesting, okay I would like to take engine choice a little further. Do you guys really want a V8 for the next RL? I know more cylinders means it smoother and potentially more powerful but I like the idea of more powerful V6s that are more fuel efficient.

I haven't checked the sales sheet for the other guys and their V6 vs V8 sales, but I'm sure the V6 out sells its V8 counter parts.

Especially, with the price of oil, I think a more powerful V6 is very attractive.

So, honestly is a V8 that big of a deal to you guys? Or is the status quo of powerful V6s just fine??
Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by halfaznguy87
Interesting, okay I would like to take engine choice a little further. Do you guys really want a V8 for the next RL? I know more cylinders means it smoother and potentially more powerful but I like the idea of more powerful V6s that are more fuel efficient.

I haven't checked the sales sheet for the other guys and their V6 vs V8 sales, but I'm sure the V6 out sells its V8 counter parts.

Especially, with the price of oil, I think a more powerful V6 is very attractive.

So, honestly is a V8 that big of a deal to you guys? Or is the status quo of powerful V6s just fine??
Realistically, V6 versions make up the vast majority of the sales in this segment. However, the V8 would be a nice image boost of the RL, which is my primary concern at this point in time. Americans are too concerned with image and sometimes, as a company looking to do business in the US, you have to succumb to market forces and offer something that may not make a lot of sense from a strict product sales standpoint in order to raise the sales of a complimentary product.

Considering that many V6 cars are getting close to V8 power, a V8 is not an absolute necessity. But again, it's not always about logic and reason when it comes to marketing.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep people do illogical things all the time. As a supplier it's not your place to give people what they need. You need to give them what they want. Hmmm, sounds like good lyrics for another Rolling Stones song.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

I'm sounding like a broken record, but V-8's DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY GET WORSE MILEAGE THAN V-6's. Why do you guys think that? Why do you keep saying it?

If you have a V-6 making 300hp and a V-8 making 300hp, in all likelihood they're going to get similar mileage. In fact, there are lots of V-8's out there that have more hp than our RL's (for instance) that get BETTER mileage. The Lexus 4.6-liter V-8 pumps out 380hp and is EPA rated 16/24 ... the exact SAME as our V-6 RL's with only 290hp. And it has TONS more torque! I'd be thrilled to drop that engine in my RL!

Please give up the strange notion that if you have 2 more cylinders you are going to deplete the world's oil supplies 3 times as fast. It just ain't so! You WILL have a smoother power delivery, with more mid-range torque to combat that "flat spot" at low speeds, and you'll have more power for passing and getting onto freeways.

V-8 isn't a 4-letter word!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

I'm sounding like a broken record, but V-8's DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY GET WORSE MILEAGE THAN V-6's. Why do you guys think that? Why do you keep saying it?

If you have a V-6 making 300hp and a V-8 making 300hp, in all likelihood they're going to get similar mileage. In fact, there are lots of V-8's out there that have more hp than our RL's (for instance) that get BETTER mileage. The Lexus 4.6-liter V-8 pumps out 380hp and is EPA rated 16/24 ... the exact SAME as our V-6 RL's with only 290hp. And it has TONS more torque! I'd be thrilled to drop that engine in my RL!

Please give up the strange notion that if you have 2 more cylinders you are going to deplete the world's oil supplies 3 times as fast. It just ain't so! You WILL have a smoother power delivery, with more mid-range torque to combat that "flat spot" at low speeds, and you'll have more power for passing and getting onto freeways.

V-8 isn't a 4-letter word!

okay okay, first off I wasn't trying to imply that the main reason it wouldn't make sense to get a V8 powered vehicle is because they would deplete the world's oil supply.

I was merely approaching my opinion based on cost to the buyer, it would be more fuel efficient (even if by a couple of gallons), and pretty much you can get the same power as noted above... thats all. Like I mentioned V8s do deliver power smoothly, but for me I wouldn't dish out the extra few grand for it. But thats just me.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
AcurAdmirer

okay okay, first off I wasn't trying to imply that the main reason it wouldn't make sense to get a V8 powered vehicle is because they would deplete the world's oil supply.

I was merely approaching my opinion based on cost to the buyer, it would be more fuel efficient (even if by a couple of gallons), and pretty much you can get the same power as noted above... thats all. Like I mentioned V8s do deliver power smoothly, but for me I wouldn't dish out the extra few grand for it. But thats just me.
Yeah, I guess I over-reacted a little.

But I hear this all the time, and I just think it's uninformed to automatically think a V-8 is going to get worse mileage than a V-6. Especially when people want to squeeze V-8 power out of a 6. It just defies the laws of physics to make 6 cylinders do the work of 8 and not pay a penalty.

If they want to compare 250hp 6-cylinder engines with 300hp 8-cylinder engines, then yes, the 6 will get better mileage. But don't expect the 6-cylinder to magically get better mileage just because there are only 6 pistons in there.

[end of rant]

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People don't pay 50 grand for a car and expect to save $5 on gas. Those people buy cheaper cars.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Push button start.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CL6
People don't pay 50 grand for a car and expect to save $5 on gas. Those people buy cheaper cars.
I know it's repeated ad nauseum on these boards, but someone who can afford a mid-$40k car and then worry about gas mileage should be driving a less expensive car. We're talking just over $3 a fillup, for goodness' sake. Give up that extra latte at work if you're so concerned.

Originally Posted by deematic
Push button start.
We have that, kinda. OK, we have KEYLESS start, but because the RL is a world car and keyless is not allowed everywhere...that's why there's a key-like thing to turn instead of a flat button. To me, it's 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other as I don't have to pull a key out of my pocket to start the car.

Now add remote start from the factory and we're talking. That comes in handy on cold winter days when you want the car to be warm, or in Phoenix during the summer, when you want the car nice and cool before you step in. Aaaaaah!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Bob for the explaination, I thought Honda/Acura was just slacking off. For all the technology that is in the RL I thought it should have it. The RL is a rare and beautiful car.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL6
Okay just to clarify since I was vague when I was discussing costs, I was comparing the cost of a V6 vehicle to a V8 vehicle not the cost to fill up a V6 vehicle compared to a V8 vehicle.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I've never had someone buy a Mercedes-Benz and ask about costs as if it was too important. If you're going to step up you're going to pay up... Acura's 'value mentality' costs them on the higher end.

Okay just to clarify since I was vague when I was discussing costs, I was comparing the cost of a V6 vehicle to a V8 vehicle not the cost to fill up a V6 vehicle compared to a V8 vehicle.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Go Big Blue!

MB's are not -- in general -- a very good value to begin with. Therefore, if you're buying one, you must already have your priorities somewhere else. I'm sure that comes through in your experience as a salesman.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Now add remote start from the factory and we're talking. That comes in handy on cold winter days when you want the car to be warm, or in Phoenix during the summer, when you want the car nice and cool before you step in. Aaaaaah!
I agree. I had a remote starter installed on my old (wasn't old at the time) '93 Vigor. Never got it done on the TL, and I can't imagine what it would cost for the RL given it's setup.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I have friends with Audi and BMW and it's the same story... it's a mentality thing my friend, not an MB thing.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by CL6
I have friends with Audi and BMW and it's the same story... it's a mentality thing my friend, not an MB thing.
Yes. My M-B salesman buddy tried the other day to get me to buy an S550. When I said to him "I can't afford one", he replied, "Oh, you can afford it - you just don't want to spend the money."

He was correct.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Go Big Blue!

Yes. My M-B salesman buddy tried the other day to get me to buy an S550. When I said to him "I can't afford one", he replied, "Oh, you can afford it - you just don't want to spend the money."

He was correct.

exactly. It's a "mentality" thing like CL6 said. Not to say people who buy MB's are stupid. I certainly have found myself overpaying for something if I was emotionally drawn to the product. But, that's the point; In my opinion, when you buy an MB C, E, ML, or GL, you must be drawn to it for reasons other then price-to-features value because there's just too many other choices that are much better. In the case of an S, your options are more limited. In the case of their roadsters (SLR, SLK) and coupes, they have some real cool standout products. I wouldn't mind having one of those . But I'm convinced that virtually EVERYONE buying a C or E is buying it mainly for the brand recognition and isn't really shopping for the best car. For those buyers, it stands to reason they are an easy sell. You got them hooked already .

Are we far enough off topic yet? Oh yea, my number one recomendation for the new RL is a small efficient V8 that can give more low torque without sacraficing mpg, a few more inches, and more technology such as heads up displays, blind spot alerts, etc. It's the little stuff that makes your drive more comfortable and luxurious IMO
Old 12-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I think they should do something like what Ford and Microsoft is doing and have an intergrated system with Apple. Change the Navi up so that it can also be used as like a smart computer with a hard drive based system and internet access(sorry i am at work and boredom got to me so i just started thinking stuff). Maybe even involve at&t in the mix and allow for the navi unit to access internet anywhere you travel kinda like with the laptops but instead of having to get a wireless card we can just get a sim card and plug it into the navi unit and it can have the card built in. I think that would attract alot of customers, especially apple fans. They can give it a cool name since they all start with "A"(since triple A is taken).
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Better gas mileage or hybrid, and make it rattle proofer!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Holy thread revival!

The thread revival comes at a good time, though, just as Honda is announcing DI engines and electric SH-AWD.

Would folks like me to start a new poll? In the meantime, this one is still open, so choose away!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
3 words:

Kill. That. Grille.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
What I'd like to see in the 3rd generation RL...

First off, bring back the Legend name to the Acura brand.

Acura Legend with a 3.7 DOHC V6 with direct injection paired with two 20 KW electric motors in the rear.

350 hp + 35 hp from electric motors
295 foot pounds of torque + 75 foot pounds of torque from the electric motors.

7 speed Dual Clutch transmission with a smooth automatic mode.

27 mpg City, 35 mpg Highway

Interior:

Add a modular entertainment/Navigation unit with a high definition screen.
Equip it with a large hard drive, USB but most importantly, the ability to be updated with new apps/abilities. Internet radio, MPG apps, traffic and weather independent of XM etc. Let the driver's phone being the 'nexus' of all activity.

Make this a car interior designed to last at least 5 years instead of being borderline obsolete within a couple years.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
First off, bring back the Legend name to the Acura brand.
Excellent, EXCELLENT point. Wish I'd remembered to say it myself. (As for me, my Legend nameplate is already on order.)
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

The name "RL" sucks. Legend FTW.

And yes, Power Phlegm grille has got to go.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Man you guys know how to dig up some old threads. I would say the grill on the "newer" RL's doesn't do it for me either and I would be all for reviving the Legend brand, would most likely help with sales as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
Legend to comeback. But i would be happy to see a v6 turbo or twin turbo setup. if not i might have to jump on a new buick lol
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Few of the options I have seen so far to be surely missed on RL are not listed above but would be great to have them:

1. Wipers setting where first level being ON could be set that wipers do not move when the car is at the red light (03 Accord EX-L has this option - which means it is cheap to built it in). When car starts moving wipers start working again... having said this, why not built-in wiper weather sensitive system? When it rains it starts working on its own.
2. Multi-level heated seats; HI and LOW are kind of past now ... subaru has multi-level and it is nice to have it...
3. Better sound system - HKardon, Boston Acoustics, etc - something nice... definitely not BOSE as Bose is great but there are better
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well....

I'm going to presume that the E-SH-AWD, DI, 7 speed, and No more BEAK are going to happen on the 2013 LEGEND (are you listening Acura ???)

I think I'd like front proximity sensing. Not necessarily for automatic parallel parking (though that does impress an old fart like me), but in parking garages it would be nice NOT to gently tag the wall but be able to get very close.
Found a site in England that uses a metal strip along the front inside bumper (no exposed sensors) and a switch that you can activated when you want.

Also, a heated steering wheel for cold winters would be a plus. I'm already planning to get the pump that heats the windshield washer fluid.

Lastly, but what I think would bring in new customers by the droves just for the novelty is a Flat panel LCD main screen dashboard . The Nav is fine to look at and I really liked the daylight / night time settings, so why not get rid of the flashing indicators and BLAH of the main dashboard and give us a customizable dashboard. RPM. MPH/KPM Temp anything! Base it in UNIX, Mac or Windows, I really don't care, but bring the dashboard in the 20th century. Yes, I know it's the 21st century but I don't think Acura does! For all the safety minded people it would be simple to put in safeguards that prevented dangerous changes, but none of the gauges use analog sending units any more, they are all digital. Twenty Five years ago I designed a front end for a DOS based Graphic User Interface for specific software we used (yes I'm THAT old!!) It couldn't be that difficult!

Anyway that's my list.

Quick Reply: What features do you want to see in the new RL?