What do you like most about your RL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

We've had a lot of negativity lately about the car we purchased or admire, whether about low sales or relative lack of power to V8s, or whatever. I personally am tired of the negative drumbeat here and have not once questioned my purchase in the 4 1/2 months and 6100 miles I've owned this car. It is the best car I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I feel this is the ultimate car for those who do their research into auto purchase because you get so much for your hard-earned money. I don't care to spend more just to own a Beemer or Benz--I'm secure enough about my success in life that I don't feel a need to scream it out by spending money unnecessarily. With that in mind, I start this thread:

What feature or features do you like most in your RL?

Ground rules: No OT posts, they will be deleted. No whining, this is a positive thread. No fights.

My favorite features:
I love the A-Spec suspension and wheels because in combination with SH-AWD, they make this heavy car handle with more agility than one would expect. I wish the car mags would test drive an A-Spec RL. Pretty please, Acura, give C&D or R&T or MT one to test?

I love the interior design and the lack of rattles (I came from a TL, as you may recall.).
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I love the technology the RL provides. The handsfree convenience for all functions from radio, hvac to the unbeatable Nav system. I have an A-Spec suspended RL as well and love the combination of ride and handling and the secure feeling I get when driving the car at my level of "spirited-ness". And like you neuronbob, my previous car was a 2005 TL.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
* Technology
- Voice recognition that isn't a gimmick, it really works
- Stereo
- SH-AWD

* Looks, yes I said "looks". I think it's understated which suits me just fine, but I really admire the front end and it's hunkered down stance

* No squeaks or rattles. Feels solid. Much more so than my previous TL.

* Keyless entry and go. I've really gotten used to this
Old 02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I agree, the negativity in recent times really has worn me down a little. With that said, I love my RL, but I would like to make some improvements to it and by reading your posts, my next step will be the Aspec suspension. as most of you I am a former TL owner, actually a couple of em ( 02, 05 ). Here are a few of my favorite things about the car.

- Keyless entry
- Voice commands ( the chicks dig it )
- navi
- quiteness of the car
- looks
- interior
Old 02-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an amazing car, still drive it much more than my NSX which I love (second one).
The RL is solid, quiet, handles, great turn-in, enough power when alone.
Great technology, wonderful engine, sooo much, just great.

Many people are missing out because they do not know about it and what it can do.
Their loss, our gain, I believe MOST RL owners are informed consumers or very lucky to stumble upon such a great car.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a bit of a gadget guy so I like all the technology in the car. I love the interior also and the quality of the interior. (like many, my last car was a TL)

The thing I like the most is the value I believe I'm getting from this car. For the amount we paid for this car, we are getting the best bang for our buck.

The things I think would improve the car for the next gen is a little more space (and size)... not much mind you that it loses it's tossability and responsiveness but just that one or two inches more will do enough. Maybe also making the parking aid and/ or backup camera standard. These should help the gripes of people about the RL not deserving the "flagship" role for Acura...

As far as I'm concerned, we have an awesome car and I love mine.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Favorite features? Definitely the voice commands! Those of us growing up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation have to appreciate being able to talk to the car and it answers back.

Also, I appreciate the SH-AWD. Granted, it doesn't snow in San Francisco, but it rains quite a bit (as I'm finding out for the first time). It's nice to have SH-AWD when driving up those slippery hills.

Finally, I appreciate the audio system more and more over time. I've had this car for almost 2 years (March 31) and it has been a pleasure!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I could go on all day, but I'll try to keep it short.

I like the super-comfortable driver's seat. Easily the best driver's seat I've ever owned. It is just about perfect: comfortable for the daily commute, with side bolsters for when the driving gets exuberant. With that driver's seat comes a roomy environment, with plenty of elbow space and nice flat arm-rests.

I rather like the dashboard design, with that beautiful piece of real lumber right there for all to see and enjoy.

The stereo is top notch. I often switch between cars, and this is best stereo I've ever owned, too.

The paint job. I think the paint is terrific -- rich and glossy.

And I've really grown to like the keyless entry system.

That's all for now.

Rob144
Old 02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 - The sound system... You may like a car because it handles well, or accelerates well... but I experience those aspects in my daily commute <1% of the time...on the other hand, the sound system is playing 100% of the time I drive. DVD Audio is amazing... and I am really enjoying my free 1yr of XM, now I couldn't imagine owning a car without it. (Smart on the part of XM to give it a year for us to get addicted)

#2 - Steat comfort
#3 - Keyless Entry
Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't necessarily think the negativity is unhealthy, but this is good thread.

My faves are:

- Keyless access (although I prefer pushbutton start)
- Quietness
- Ride quality and handling
- Comfort and amenities
- Nav system
- Excellent BT

Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Another vote for the combo of the A-Spec suspension and the SH-AWD. The handling is just awesome.

Other likes:
-Voice recognition that really works and is useful
-The best Nav system around
-Bluetooth, and the integration of the Bluetooth with the Nav POI's
Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
5Zigen Acura RL

Technology, SHAWD and forget the power complainers. With exhaust and CAI this car has great "pop".
Old 02-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Seats, quiet, audio, overall solidity, decent power, SHAWD (all weather capabilities), looks. Bottom line if what you want is a great luxury sedan with fairly sprited performance it doesn't get better than this.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks
Technology
Comfort
Exclusivity
Bang for the buck. Nothing else comes close.

LL
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Neuron, you read my mind! I'd have started this thread if you hadn't. I am still in awe of this well-built and intelligently designed machine. I traded up from a sweet but squeaky '04 TL. Now at 3250 miles and 2 months with my 2006 RL.

My top ten countdown:

Beautiful exterior styling with understated elegance--my wife says it's a "grown-up" car
Quiet, serene, rattle-free cabin with great seats and ergonomics
Keyless entry and start--who knew? Saves all kinds of fumbling
Adaptive cruise control and CMBS--has saved my bacon in stop-and-go traffic several times
VTEC for kicking booty whenever, and SH-AWD for rainy days and tight corners
5-star crash safety and the feeling of having enough metal around me
Exclusivity--it's rare to see another 2G RL
Killer Bose sound system with XM radio (mainly channels 26, 45, 50 and 75)
Nav Traffic--how did I ever live without this??
...and #1: the pleasure of passing Lexi, Mercedes and Beemers knowing I paid tens of thousands less for a better car!!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Racer

It makes me feel good.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jfprl
It makes me feel good.

And I like the looks, too. I don't think it looks like a "Grampsmobile" at all, especially with mods. I have also officially decided to buy a rear lip spoiler to add to the effect. Thanks for helping me to come to that decision. Now....Acura's or Mugen's....
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Everyone above pretty much covered it. But there's one additional thing I love about my '05 RL, which I've had for nearly a year and roughly 16,000 miles, and that's that it is SUBLIME on long trips.

My wife & I drove from Northern Virginia to Florida twice last year, and the car is such a dream on the highway. Very fast, smooth, quiet, and comfortable, the miles just roll by.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

In no particular order...

Technology
Great ride on long drives...
Superb sound system
Keyless enrty
Interior Design and Quality
An awesome ride and am loving every minute behind the wheel...

Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 AM
10th Gear

The technology got me interested, but it's a really solid, good looking car. I love never reaching for my keys, so the keyless is high on the list. The bluetooth sounds better than when I use my phone by itself. The stereo...mmmmm

So far (15 months) mine has been bulletproof, no problems at all. I know some haven't done too well, but I'm averaging 22 mpg since I got it. That's impressive for a two ton car with AWD. The engine is well matched with the car. My only regret is that I didn't get the A-Spec.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The technology is what attacted me to the car.
o Keyless entry is major convenience, use it every day, I get irritated when I have to drive our other cars.
o The Adaptive Cruise Control makes life so easy on long trips....
o Long trips, this car is a really comfortable cruiser
--Seats are wonderful, so comfortable
--Stereo sounds great, XM is a must on a long trip, and the DVD-A is phenomenal, and Active Noise Cancellation makes the cabin a very friendly place.
o HFL makes talking on the phone so easy and so much safer
o CMBS, yes, I activated a couple of times, and it may have saved my bacon once, it gives you that extra measure of time to react
o PAX is nice now. I have a love hate relationship with the PAX system. I believe they are smoother and quieter than stock wheels and tires based on a test drive, and the whole car feels as if it handles better. I do not look forward to having to change out the PAX, nor do I look forward to the lack of choice in tires (Pilot MXM4 or a winter tire), nor do I like not being able to add A-Spec suspension. When the time comes, I will make the trade off of whether to buy 18 or 19 inch standard wheels, or keep the PAX. To their credit, Michelin seems to be on track. They promised there would be more acceptance of PAX in the near future. I noticed that Michelin has increased its number of PAX dealers rather significantly. When I bought at end of November 06, there were 0 dealers 20 miles away, and 4 within 50 miles. Now, I have 4 within 20 miles and 22 within 50 miles.
o Voice commands, especially "Temperature Max Hot" on these cold mornings.
o Wonderful interior design execution
o Wonderful execution mechanically of the whole car. It drives nicely and securely. It is not a BMW, but the overall value trade off is unbeatable.

I love this car!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Proboscis-free zone

I agree that Bluetooth HFL and voice commands are terrific but had already been spoiled by those features in the TL. One of these days I'll RTFM and learn all 600 commands. Honest.

Funny, no one has mentioned OnStar. I never touch it...I regard it as sort of a built-in LoJack but won't be renewing. Maybe that's why Acura dropped it for '07.

One other little RL amenity (subsumed under the "great interior" category): the inside surface of the B-pillar is slightly concave; the driver's fingers slip naturally behind the shoulder harness, making it slick and quick to buckle in. Nice.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Everything seemed to be mentioned above about all the features but +1 for the interior.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just to echo what everyone has said....

Plus the jealous looks I get from 5 series drivers.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:50 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
Just to echo what everyone has said....

Plus the jealous looks I get from 5 series drivers.

I accompanied a friend to drop off his 2003 Expedition at the dealer last night for a number of repairs (that's a whole other story). On the way back he couldn't stop gushing over my RL. He was surprised how sporty the car was compared to the previous generation, and went on to say how his buddy who owns a 5-serier BMW has sworn that he will never own another one. The maintenance is killing him.

This experience is yet another example of how Acura has done a poor job of getting the public to notice this car.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Angry

I forgot one more thing: The car's name bears my initials, so the floor mats look as if they were monogrammed. It's the only reason I can stomach that they dropped the Legend name.

Rob144
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Audio system (da bomb, wish there was more of a selection for DVD-audio)
A-spec rims and tires
Keyless entry/exit
Wood steering wheel and shift knob
Soft interior blue lighting at night (match the nav screen to blue as well)
Automatic rear window sunshade
Trunk storage volume (compared to my 350z is night and day)
Interior leather and wood trim (taupe has stood the test of 2.5 years of driving with minimal blemishes, wood still shiny as new)
Exterior paint (lakeshore silver in sunlight is almost an iridescent violet color, makes Bimmer paint look blaise)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Cool

Keyless FOB
I love the automatic door closing (spring action), almost as if powered.
MID
Audio system is awesome
Driver recognition and appropriate adjustments.
Nav system is tops along with voice activation of so many features.
Probably the best climate control system I have experienced in a vehicle.
SHAWD fun to drive
Reliability

In conclusion: total package equals comfort, technology and a blast to drive. Only problem is that I find myself driving slower so I can be in the car longer.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Or do what I do, and take the long way home!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by surfer rick
... wish there was more of a selection for DVD-audio
Where is the best place to find a selection of DVD-A's? Amazon's selection is awful. Any better suggestions?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Meteor06RL
Where is the best place to find a selection of DVD-A's? Amazon's selection is awful. Any better suggestions?
ebay, half.com
Old 02-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Meteor06RL
The most complete selection I've seen is at CD Universe.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/.../DVD+Audio.htm

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I love the keyless entry, the excellent seats, the easy access navigation/audio/electronics, the SH-AWD, the fuel economy, the performance, the smooth transmission but the one thing that brings a smile to my face every time I start my 06 RL is the exhaust rumble. Love that rumbling exhaust note!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I stick sick people

E. all of the above.

Especially the MID with the SH-AWD indicators.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wstr75
...the exhaust rumble.
Then you really should get one of THESE.

LL
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
A Saitama Garage

Talking

Originally Posted by Chas2
Or do what I do, and take the long way home!
Weird, I have found myself doing the same thing. She's such a joy to drive, I never want to get out...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Thanks for digging up this old thread from last year. Still liking my RL. I appreciate it even more after the redesign. I'm sure I'll get used to the new RL but like the matching, gentle lines of mine just fine. I plan to hang on to it for a while longer. Would you believe it? I was strongly considering a CTS-V but now think I'll just get a dedicated (used) sports car instead, and keep the RL. Time will tell what I actually do....
Old 02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts

It's not an ugly 09.

I'm not bitter.....really I'm not.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
This thread is better than any RL promo.
Lurker here, not an owner but I've test driven 2. Since I'm a coupe driver I never (before) considered the RL, but my first attraction to the RL was the great dash/console interior. Techy and rich, but not overdone.
I love DVD-A and have had it at home. Glad to see the new TSX has it, means Acura for the next gen anyway is staying with DVD-A, even tho it's a dying format. that's fine with me, I'm making a nice collection of timeless classic DVD-As.
I also like the size, coupe-like almost, perfect for me if I have to have 4 doors.
Exclusivity too, and used prices, there's a lot to like.

my first 2 initials too, and my 3rd is an A.

enjoy your great RLs.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorites:
—First class navigation system
—Awesome sound system
—Keyless (called gimmicky in car reviews....NOT)

.....just the whole package works for me. And I especially like the vault-like sensation when you close the door. The car connects you to the road, but isolates you at the same time.