Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Warranty

"As the Wheel Turns" episode 2.

What has been your results dealing with issues after the warranty has run out? My 4 years ran out in May. I am wondering how the dealer will deal with me on a couple of items that need some attention?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Depends on the dealer. If it's a small issue, they may work with you to maintain a good relationship. If it's big, I don't see the dealer doing much to absorb something they won't be reimbursed for as a warranty repair. My dealer has been great for years but lately, I've found them to be a bit more hesitant to do anything that will cost them.

LL
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Brown nose, kiss a little ass, and have your credit card ready.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
dealers are out to steal your money find a good mechanic it's a car like any other....most of the time techs are dumb anyway
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned several Acura cars, currently an 06 Rl and 08 MDX. All serviced at the dealer. I know the service guys well, so I've had some good experiences. 06 RL battery was replaced n/c at 53k. Last week had them check brake pedal, transmission and oil change and check tire wear to see if they need rotation. Brake travel was within spec, not soft like TSB, and pads are 60% worn. They test drove car with OBD computer hooked up to check shift points and no codes came up. Recommended I change brake fluid since it is over 3 years, but ok to wait until next service.
cost $40.
On MDX the Michelin tires seemed to wear at 25k, Acura got Michelin to prorate and got 4 new Lattitude HP for around $400 installed, which is about 130 off per tire.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
I will talk to the service manager and see what we can work out. Seems like a switch that went south at 47,000 miles should be covered under warranty considering they should/could last a lot longer. The rest of the car is running fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had outstanding customer service from my local dealer, Crown of Clearwater. My 05 is still under the CPO warranty and they've been great to deal with. I took out the additional 12 month Acura warranty so I should be good until early 2012. ($1062). They resolved many of the TSB problems early on and now my baby is running perfectly. I hope the service holds up long term (after warranty).
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by alfadoctor
What has been your results dealing with issues after the warranty has run out? My 4 years ran out in May. I am wondering how the dealer will deal with me on a couple of items that need some attention?
Paging FN P90......I wonder if he's made it to 300k miles on his RL yet? Any case, the person with the best experience with after warranty work is him.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Depends on the dealer. With my prior car (2001 TL) I had the heating elements in the seats fail when I was about 5K miles out of warranty and the service manager repaired it as "goodwill". Many dealers have a goodwill budget that they can tap into for relatively minor repairs. I think they may even get reimbursed for it. It's probably not going to address a transmission failure.

As another poster stated, having a good relationship with them helps. In my case the dealership performed all my maintenance since the car was new and the whole service department was outstanding and I made sure they and the ownership knew I felt that way. They were appreciative of the recognition and always took care of me.

I'll tell you another story to contradict the poster who said all dealers are out there to steal your money. One Friday night I had gotten into an accident with that TL. The car was driveable, but the accident and torn off the bumper, along with smashing a headlight and the right front fender. The police told me I had to take the bumper with me. So I stick the bumper in the trunk and head to the dealer that was just a mile away. The dealer has the only factory authorized bodyshop in the area and I planned for them to do the work.

I knock on the overhead glass door to get the SM's attention. She sees me, waves, smiles and walks to the door. Her smile turned to a look of shock when she saw my car in the service drive. I told her that I just wanted to leave the bumper there and I would be by in the morning to get an estimate as I intended to have them do the work.

She looks at the car again and says, "You can't drive that car, let me get you a loaner". I told her that while I do have rental insurance, I'm sure it's not going to cover me driving one of their cars. She said that I could drive the car until such time that she REALLY needed it. If that happened I could then turn it in and have the insurance company get me a car through Enterprise.

Well they gave me a brand new TSX that I drove for two weeks. They never asked for the car back prior to the repairs being completed and they never billed the insurance company for the loaner. They could've tried, but they didn't.

I have since moved out of state, but I miss those guys. As for currently, I purchased the AcuraCare warranty so I'm still covered and I don't know how my current dealer will react.

A long story, but the moral is to try and establish a good relationship with your dealer.