Wall Street Journal Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Wall Street Journal Article

Acura’s top-of-the-line RL sedan is a good case for why cars need to be more than just transportation. Especially when they cost $55,000.

The fully loaded RL I test-drove recently had all of the features and gadgets a luxury car buyer expects, from leather seats that heat and cool your rear end to active cruise control that helps you avoid collisions. The sound system is wonderful and the navigation system even tells you how thick traffic is on the highway you planned to take. But in some ways it may be too refined and sanitized to generate the kind of passion many people are accustomed to feeling toward their cars.

Though its body is sleek, the RL’s styling is dry, generic, bland — you get the point. People kept mistaking it for lesser cars like bread-and-butter family sedans from Hyundai, Mazda and Nissan. One passenger pointed to a passing Toyota Camry and asked, “Isn’t that what we’re driving?” WIth that I understood why the RL has never been a big seller. It simply doesn’t make an impression.

It’s an expensive car without the exclusivity we seek when forking large sums. Once you get into the $50,000 price point several prestigious vehicles come into range, like the BMW 5-Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Audi A6. When was the last time you heard anyone mistake one of those for a Toyota? Sure, I’m giving in to a brand of consumerism that some associate with a insecurity, vanity and other unfavorable traits.

Indeed, the RL has its fans and they like to say theirs is the thinking person’s car, not meant for conspicuous status seekers. Deep down I know they have a point, but I still couldn’t buy an RL because it fails tow of my main tests: It neither turns heads nor sets my heart afire. Is it asking too much of a car to do both?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to agree after driving a 2010 RL Loaner... Cant justify 50gs for it... I cant lie either I had my friends modded 2006 M5 for a week and a half and I couldnt justify 90gs for that car lol
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Here's hoping Acura finds the RL formula that sets the world afire.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree

When will Acura make a car that inspires a second look even lust. Drove a M37x, interior is nice, exterior not nearly as nice as the concept, the grill is in your face like the Acura. Drove a 2011 535i, very sophisticated sheet metal, nice understated looks, but not "wow" In D there is a noticeable amount of turbo lag, not sure I like that. Also, it gets pricey real fast if it is optioned to match the RL.
It just goes to show how good our RL really is. I should keep it and buy my brother's C6
Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It needs better skin and more hp from the motor.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with the better skin, but I reckon a six speed auto, and a sport/normal mode adjustment for engine mapping, accelerator pedal, gearbox and suspension would take care of most of the power requirements. That way the enthusiasts [read most motoring writers] could get their jollies off thrashing the car, and still leave it soft enough for the other 95% of buyers.

But a fancy set of clothes would probably go furtherest!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
First and foremost it needs a better exterior design. The refreshed RL just does not look good.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Acura makes great cars, and I think they somewhat get a bad deal from the automotive press.

Consider the real world for people like us vs the automotive press.

You and I buy our cars. We drive them to/from work and use them to transport children, friends, groceries.. We never take the luxury sedan to a track. We may, occasionally accelerate hard or take a turn quickly, but we aren't worreid about trying to beat the kid in the EVO to the next stop light. Long term reliability and cost to own are important considerations, as are the features / options we get for the price paid.
Of course, there are people who consider all the above, but don't know squat about cars (most people) and they decide what they shoudl buy based on what the automotive press tells them is "in" and what is "best". and of course, there are people who want the prestige of an upscale brand, and will sacrficie to get it.

The automotive press is not worried about what it costs, because they don't pay for it. They aren't worried about long term reliability, because they are going to flog the car for a weekend and give it back. The flog a car on a track and decide if it gets their juices stirring - whcih they call "passion".. they also measure, down to the 1/10th of a second, things like 0-60, 1/4 mile, and skidpad figures... *very* important stuff when you driving the kids to school, or drinking coffee on your way to work..

Real world consumer. If they want an Acura RL, they really only get it one way. Loaded. Yes, I knwo there were options like base vs tech or the ACC/CMBS..but essentially. 99% of the RLs on the road are all the same. Most buyers got the nav model - and they really only worried about colors. All our cars are LOADED with features. for the same price. Acura can get costs down by having them all the same.

If the real world consumer wants a BMW - they have to decide if they wanted a 525 or a 528 or a 545... or a 535 or 550.. depending what model year they are looking at. Then, once they decide what engine size they want, they get the "fun" task of deciding what options to put on the car... Oh, you want keyless entry like the RL has standard? Most euro models like BMW/ M/B / audi, etc make you pay extra for "comfort access". Oh, you want heated seats.. you pay extra for "climate package".. Oh, you want the top of the line audio and nav - you pay for their nav/audio upgrade package.. $$ $$ $$. the options just add up and up and up. the $50k base 530 just went up to 57k or 60k... whatever.. you get the idea.

the average consumer who would buy a $50k car, and wanted to stick around that price point.. will get two very different cars if they by Acura vs. BMW.

If they buy:

Acura - they get an RL. Loaded to the hilt. 290-300hp, AWD, etc etc etc.

BMW - they get a car that has less features, less power, no AWD, but the BMW roundel on the hood!! woohoo...look at me, I can buy a BMW, "I have arrived".

What also motivates the "masses" out there is what they are told/read by the Auto press. The journalists don't always compare apples to apples. When a journalist test drives an RL, what does he/she compare it to.. a 5 series yes, but which one. they don't drive a lot of 530s.. they drive 550is and M5s... and that "passionate" experience is stuck in their head. When they test drive an RL...whether they admit it or not, they are thinking of that top of the line model... they are passionate over the M5/550, as they shoudl be - amazing cars! - and then they drive the RL and it seems sort of 'ho hum'.. kind of "passionless".

but in the real world, most shoppers aren't cross shopping an RL with a 550i. the guys looking at 550i's don't even look at the RL. they are looking at E550s, AMGs, M-series cars... etc.

Another reality check: if you look at the vast majority of the BMW 5 series you see on the road, you will notice most are the lesser models.. 525s, 530s... and far far less are the V8 powered models. I honestly think when you compare an RL against the REAL BMW competition - price being equal - you get way more for your money with the RL and the RL is easily the car to buy. the RL is a BETTER car than MOST 5 series on the road - especially when you compare price paid.

but BMW and the other brands, have hardcore top of the line powerful models to offer, that get people motivated, excited, PASSIONATE, and in the door..and hooked on the car. then they see the sticker of the one they WANT, and they SETTLE on the lesser model..but are happy b/c they have somethign that looks/feels a lot like what they got passionate over...

had that buyer been less emotional/influenced by the car mags - and been more educated and pragmatic - they would have though.. hmm.. maybe I shoudl go over to Acura nd compare their RL to this 525 I was about to buy.. .had they done that, many of them would have probably bought the RL... as logic would have taken over.. I suspect many of US here who drive RLs... realized wht a great car they are for the money and made informed deicions, rather than some impulse purchase..

Thoughts on how Acura maybe could have made the car sell better??

Acura might have been better served to make a V8 option - have an a-spec RL that was more than a flashy body kit..but a more serious competitor to a 545/550...and even though they would have cost much more and hardly sold - maybe that would have put the RL "on the map" with the press - and it would have been touted as a great car. People go in to try it, and then settle on teh more affordable V6. ??? Maybe the costs of having a V8 option wasn't worth it..but in hindsight..given how poorly the RL sold...maybe that woudl have been a good idea. all the mags continually ripped the RL for not having a V8 option...

Acura got into the luxury car segment and succeeded at making a car that truly was superior to the "normal" 5 series / E class that most people actually bought. They simply failed to get people excited about it - and I suspect a big part of that was that despite the RL being better than the "regular" euro sedans - the Germans still had Acura whooped in the "upper" trim levels - and that is what got people "passionate" about buying the car...

ilke ost of you - If I had endless cash - and money was no object, hell I'd be driving an M5.. no doubt! but I'm not rich.. I do well, and can afford a lot of nice things, but I am careful how I spend my money and want to spend it wisely. a careful review of what I rec'd for my money showed that the Acura RL was - hands down - the best luxury car for the money.. and I test drove the "regular" 530 and E350... nice cars..but for the money.. I got way more with my Acura...

just goes to show how crucial marketing is ... marketing shapes perception. and perception shapes what people see/believe.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Well done.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Wish

Even though I own an A-Spec, VERY WELL SAID!!! You got all the points!

Personally, i still think the RL is overpriced.... I bought an 10' TL and an 10' TSX for the Wifey for a little more than the RL.... 2 is better than 1 :P

Originally Posted by 23109VC
Acura makes great cars, and I think they somewhat get a bad deal from the automotive press.

Consider the real world for people like us vs the automotive press.

You and I buy our cars. We drive them to/from work and use them to transport children, friends, groceries.. We never take the luxury sedan to a track. We may, occasionally accelerate hard or take a turn quickly, but we aren't worreid about trying to beat the kid in the EVO to the next stop light. Long term reliability and cost to own are important considerations, as are the features / options we get for the price paid.
Of course, there are people who consider all the above, but don't know squat about cars (most people) and they decide what they shoudl buy based on what the automotive press tells them is "in" and what is "best". and of course, there are people who want the prestige of an upscale brand, and will sacrficie to get it.

The automotive press is not worried about what it costs, because they don't pay for it. They aren't worried about long term reliability, because they are going to flog the car for a weekend and give it back. The flog a car on a track and decide if it gets their juices stirring - whcih they call "passion".. they also measure, down to the 1/10th of a second, things like 0-60, 1/4 mile, and skidpad figures... *very* important stuff when you driving the kids to school, or drinking coffee on your way to work..

Real world consumer. If they want an Acura RL, they really only get it one way. Loaded. Yes, I knwo there were options like base vs tech or the ACC/CMBS..but essentially. 99% of the RLs on the road are all the same. Most buyers got the nav model - and they really only worried about colors. All our cars are LOADED with features. for the same price. Acura can get costs down by having them all the same.

If the real world consumer wants a BMW - they have to decide if they wanted a 525 or a 528 or a 545... or a 535 or 550.. depending what model year they are looking at. Then, once they decide what engine size they want, they get the "fun" task of deciding what options to put on the car... Oh, you want keyless entry like the RL has standard? Most euro models like BMW/ M/B / audi, etc make you pay extra for "comfort access". Oh, you want heated seats.. you pay extra for "climate package".. Oh, you want the top of the line audio and nav - you pay for their nav/audio upgrade package.. $$ $$ $$. the options just add up and up and up. the $50k base 530 just went up to 57k or 60k... whatever.. you get the idea.

the average consumer who would buy a $50k car, and wanted to stick around that price point.. will get two very different cars if they by Acura vs. BMW.

If they buy:

Acura - they get an RL. Loaded to the hilt. 290-300hp, AWD, etc etc etc.

BMW - they get a car that has less features, less power, no AWD, but the BMW roundel on the hood!! woohoo...look at me, I can buy a BMW, "I have arrived".

What also motivates the "masses" out there is what they are told/read by the Auto press. The journalists don't always compare apples to apples. When a journalist test drives an RL, what does he/she compare it to.. a 5 series yes, but which one. they don't drive a lot of 530s.. they drive 550is and M5s... and that "passionate" experience is stuck in their head. When they test drive an RL...whether they admit it or not, they are thinking of that top of the line model... they are passionate over the M5/550, as they shoudl be - amazing cars! - and then they drive the RL and it seems sort of 'ho hum'.. kind of "passionless".

but in the real world, most shoppers aren't cross shopping an RL with a 550i. the guys looking at 550i's don't even look at the RL. they are looking at E550s, AMGs, M-series cars... etc.

Another reality check: if you look at the vast majority of the BMW 5 series you see on the road, you will notice most are the lesser models.. 525s, 530s... and far far less are the V8 powered models. I honestly think when you compare an RL against the REAL BMW competition - price being equal - you get way more for your money with the RL and the RL is easily the car to buy. the RL is a BETTER car than MOST 5 series on the road - especially when you compare price paid.

but BMW and the other brands, have hardcore top of the line powerful models to offer, that get people motivated, excited, PASSIONATE, and in the door..and hooked on the car. then they see the sticker of the one they WANT, and they SETTLE on the lesser model..but are happy b/c they have somethign that looks/feels a lot like what they got passionate over...

had that buyer been less emotional/influenced by the car mags - and been more educated and pragmatic - they would have though.. hmm.. maybe I shoudl go over to Acura nd compare their RL to this 525 I was about to buy.. .had they done that, many of them would have probably bought the RL... as logic would have taken over.. I suspect many of US here who drive RLs... realized wht a great car they are for the money and made informed deicions, rather than some impulse purchase..

Thoughts on how Acura maybe could have made the car sell better??

Acura might have been better served to make a V8 option - have an a-spec RL that was more than a flashy body kit..but a more serious competitor to a 545/550...and even though they would have cost much more and hardly sold - maybe that would have put the RL "on the map" with the press - and it would have been touted as a great car. People go in to try it, and then settle on teh more affordable V6. ??? Maybe the costs of having a V8 option wasn't worth it..but in hindsight..given how poorly the RL sold...maybe that woudl have been a good idea. all the mags continually ripped the RL for not having a V8 option...

Acura got into the luxury car segment and succeeded at making a car that truly was superior to the "normal" 5 series / E class that most people actually bought. They simply failed to get people excited about it - and I suspect a big part of that was that despite the RL being better than the "regular" euro sedans - the Germans still had Acura whooped in the "upper" trim levels - and that is what got people "passionate" about buying the car...

ilke ost of you - If I had endless cash - and money was no object, hell I'd be driving an M5.. no doubt! but I'm not rich.. I do well, and can afford a lot of nice things, but I am careful how I spend my money and want to spend it wisely. a careful review of what I rec'd for my money showed that the Acura RL was - hands down - the best luxury car for the money.. and I test drove the "regular" 530 and E350... nice cars..but for the money.. I got way more with my Acura...

just goes to show how crucial marketing is ... marketing shapes perception. and perception shapes what people see/believe.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
23109VC - agreed. sadly the average consumer isn't very smart.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
When you move into this mid range sedan with all the whistles and bells, you are dealing with a very small niche market. There is the BMW, Audi, Volvo, cheap MB, Lexus, Infinity, Cadillac for cars to compare to. I wasn't a big Honda fan as I have been driving Alfa Romeo's for years. I bought a CRX and tricked it out. That sold me on what a Honda could do. Then I got the 97 RL and have come to love that as a child. Its reliable to the Nth degree where as some of the other cars in the competition are no where close. It has Honda to back it up...enough said there. The RL gets great mileage, fully loaded, comfortable, but sadly it lacks imagination in the design of the body. I agree, if you look at Toyota, Hyundai and Honda you think you see a RL until you look for the grille moniker. Sad, sad and sad. We bought another RL because of the great car our 97 has been to us. The 06 is one awesome car and its great to see how far the RL has come when you compare the two cars. Me...I would never own a BMW, to common and to expensive. Now if Acura puts in a V8, now you got a car and throw in some Japanese flair design you have a winner.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
23109VC, a very astute statement. Sorry I missed it before.

The RL is for us car geeks who have actually done our homework. OTOH, I must admit that the emotion of the big powerful V8 got me and that's why I own a CTS-V right now. That was marketed very well online and in the automotive press...unlike the RL, which is frankly a stellar deal even at $50k for what it offers.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Acura's lack of pushing this model to the next level is concerning for many. How many here would not want a little more hp/tq, updates styling, etc? Acura can do it, just curious why they choose to not proceed with the obvious.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced

I agree with the article completely, thanks for posting it. Having said that, the RL is the ultimate stealthy Japanese car to me. Particularly in black, fully detailed, it looks kind of "hot". That's why we bought a black/black one, the only color that to me, makes a "tough looking car" statement.

I have never mistaken an RL for a ... Honda?!? What Honda? I don't get that. I don't think it looks anything like ANY Honda or Camry. It looks like an RL, plain and simple. Maybe too simple for most. My wife was really attracted to it. She loves her car and to this day, wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Here's it in the garage this past winter. It was great in the snow, her primary reason for getting it. I begged her not to buy a Lexus RX350 instead, the RL was the only other vehicle she liked. I have no problems with the RL's looks.

Yeah, it's totally plain jane, vanilla, but that's ok. Not every car has to make a huge statement. We paid $41k for it and for a new car, there was nothing better at that price point in AWD that we looked at. I wanted her to get something like this (our neighbors car - see below - 07 E63 AMG), but she wanted an AWD and she didn't like the AWD Mercedes we looked at. I LOVED the AMG car but she was worried about repairs out of warranty, for good reason. We couldn't afford to fix it out of warranty! If the new RL had the panache factor, the hotness factor, the "WOW" factor of the car below, even I would consider getting one for myself. Different strokes, though. Some might consider the RL MUCH nicer and hotter looking that the E63.

You can pick up one of these 2007'a for under $40k now

Me want... I'm actually sometimes considering selling my both my cars (the BMW and 911) and getting one of these. Not there yet, but thinking about it...

In the end, we settled for mediocre looks compared to a hot 06 BMW M5 or a 06 MB E55, but the RL is much more practical, AWD, ultra reliable to the max, cost savings down the road to the max in lower repairs than the German cars, and fits her personality perfectly. Something tells me Acura is going to disappoint us with whatever comes next for the RL... if the current model design is any indicator of the aesthetic direction they're going.

Last edited by stever500; 06-26-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The Jag XF and even the new XJ are very well designed cars (body style etc.). Interiors are HOT as well. Not in the same price range but I'm talking design. I also think the new Hyundai Genesis has a great body style...kind've BMW-ish (but great price for the amenities as well).

Acura really needs a new RL design overhaul. If the two companies above can do it then Acura certainly can. People pay for style...that's marketing 101.