Vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent

Last night I was in Round Table Pizza, waiting for my order. I happened to look out the window when I saw the person in the car next to me getting in. Well, instead of just opening the door and getting in, she decides first that she needs something from the back seat.

So she swings open her door as far as it goes (until it gets stuck on my car!!! it was like slow motion, I was horrified) and then digs around. At that same moment they called my order as ready, so I rush up there, they fumble it around, and by the time I get outside the woman and her POS car are gone, and I am the owner of two new dings in my car.

Is there anything that I can do in a situation like this? Besides delivering a roundhouse to the dome? I was so pissed, but didn't know if I would have any legal recourse, or if I should just make her empty her pockets on the spot.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fugazi
Is there anything that I can do in a situation like this?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Last night I was in Round Table Pizza, waiting for my order. I happened to look out the window when I saw the person in the car next to me getting in. Well, instead of just opening the door and getting in, she decides first that she needs something from the back seat.

So she swings open her door as far as it goes (until it gets stuck on my car!!! it was like slow motion, I was horrified) and then digs around. At that same moment they called my order as ready, so I rush up there, they fumble it around, and by the time I get outside the woman and her POS car are gone, and I am the owner of two new dings in my car.

Is there anything that I can do in a situation like this? Besides delivering a roundhouse to the dome? I was so pissed, but didn't know if I would have any legal recourse, or if I should just make her empty her pockets on the spot.
This is a real stretch, but if you have the license number of her car AND you are going to turn in the damage to your insurance company to have them fix it AND you are willing to testify in a court of law (if it gets that far) then POSSIBLY you get her insurace company to pay for the damage. From her license number, your insurance company will do the legwork to find out registration/insurance carrier info so that they don't have to pay anything.

Since I'm a mediator, if you know her license number and are willing to spend the money to have the DMV send her a letter about the accident (usually about $20 and they take your letter and send it to the registered owner), you MIGHT be able to ask her to mediate about paying damages, but honestly you have a better chance of winning the Powerball Lottery and the Kentucky Derby on the same day with $3 worth of bets than ever getting money.

Some people are oblivious, some don't care and some do damage out of jealousy or spite. I'm truly sorry about your car, but I would guess that the person who damaged your car,even when confronted would have little remorse.

Just my

Ben
Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benush
This is a real stretch, but if you have the license number of her car AND you are going to turn in the damage to your insurance company to have them fix it AND you are willing to testify in a court of law (if it gets that far) then POSSIBLY you get her insurace company to pay for the damage. From her license number, your insurance company will do the legwork to find out registration/insurance carrier info so that they don't have to pay anything.

Since I'm a mediator, if you know her license number and are willing to spend the money to have the DMV send her a letter about the accident (usually about $20 and they take your letter and send it to the registered owner), you MIGHT be able to ask her to mediate about paying damages, but honestly you have a better chance of winning the Powerball Lottery and the Kentucky Derby on the same day with $3 worth of bets than ever getting money.

Some people are oblivious, some don't care and some do damage out of jealousy or spite. I'm truly sorry about your car, but I would guess that the person who damaged your car,even when confronted would have little remorse.

Just my

Ben
Yeah, I figured as much. I theoretically could have hopped in my car and probably tracked her down, but I figured there was nothing I could do. It sucks that if people don't care about their own car they basically have the freedom to give everyone elses' car a good parking lot thrashing. Boo.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:50 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Think you're seeing why there are some cars parked "way out there" where almost no one else parks...doesn't always work though.

Seems that folks are smart enough to pick up on that and will invariably park by YOUR car "way out there" knowing that at least you won't kill theirs when you come back. Won't guarentee they will return the favor. <g>

Tom
Old 07-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Now since you were watching this, why didn't you just step outside and talk to her about it? Was your order of pizza really that important?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Now since you were watching this, why didn't you just step outside and talk to her about it? Was your order of pizza really that important?
We don't always make the best decision at the moment. I am sure now he knows the priority between a hot pizza and confronting somone who damaged his car. The sad thing is, it was too late at that moment since the damage was not reversible already.

I hate these people who are careless and not considerate. They may not even care much about other people's properties.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tvande
Think you're seeing why there are some cars parked "way out there" where almost no one else parks...doesn't always work though.

Seems that folks are smart enough to pick up on that and will invariably park by YOUR car "way out there" knowing that at least you won't kill theirs when you come back. Won't guarentee they will return the favor. <g>

Tom
Yeah, I try to park as far away as possible... I don't know about you guys, but my gf just doesn't get it
Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I was the only one waiting for a pizza, and was like 5 feet from the counter. I thought I could grab my pizza and run out, and I probably could have if the guy didn't say, "Uhhhhhh did you pay for this yet? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh do you have a receipt? Oh I guess you did." (Keep in mind I walked in and ordered it, and you HAVE to pay.)
Old 07-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Fugazi, a similar incident happened to my father-in-law's car only it was a off duty cabbie slamming his door into my father in law's car . My wife and I just happened to be there to witness the "dinging" occur ( we were meeting at a restaurant for brunch and just happened to arrive as the incident happened) and made the guilty party aware of the fact that we had seen what happened. My father-in-law contacted him through the cab company and he agreed to pay to have the dent's repaired ( I think it was $300-400). I know it is a totally different situation because the guilty party was aware that there were witnesses to the incident, but it may still be worth letting your insurance company track the person down so that you don't have to make a claim or pay for the repair out of your own pocket.
P.S. For what it is worth, I'm a guy who always parks in an end stall as far away as possible from other cars in any parking lot.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
Fugazi, a similar incident happened to my father-in-law's car only it was a off duty cabbie slamming his door into my father in law's car . My wife and I just happened to be there to witness the "dinging" occur ( we were meeting at a restaurant for brunch and just happened to arrive as the incident happened) and made the guilty party aware of the fact that we had seen what happened. My father-in-law contacted him through the cab company and he agreed to pay to have the dent's repaired ( I think it was $300-400). I know it is a totally different situation because the guilty party was aware that there were witnesses to the incident, but it may still be worth letting your insurance company track the person down so that you don't have to make a claim or pay for the repair out of your own pocket.
P.S. For what it is worth, I'm a guy who always parks in an end stall as far away as possible from other cars in any parking lot.
I think I'll join you in the "end stall" or "remote spot" club. Too many inconsiderate people out there
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I try to park as far away as possible... I don't know about you guys, but my gf just doesn't get it
About 20+ years ago I was out in Salem, Oregon visiting a friend and she and I went for pizza. I parked my new Prelude A LONG ways away from everyone to avoid dings. While in eating pizza a man came in sat across from us drinking a pop and after about 15 minutes he left. I had a funny feeling at the time but ignored it. After pizza drove back to the house. The next morning when I was getting ready to leave I stuck the key in the trunk to put away some stuff, but it wouldn't work. In the parking lot someone had broken into the trunk and stolen my camera and a few other odds and ends while that guy watched to see that I didn't leave. Screwed up the lock big time and the police said to forget about ever seeing the camera and lenses again. Avoided the dings, but.....
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tvande

Tom

i always look for 'end' spots or park away. but you are right people seem to seek out my car even when i do. once i parked away on an end spot in a lot that wasn't crowded and took two spots and someone left a note on my windshield calling me a name. me and my girlfriend couldn't believe it because the lot never got crowded. i tend to not take two spaces even way out away from everyone else because people in general tend to be *icks about that.