V8 coming or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V8 coming or not ??

How about V10, Honda has said that with the next NSX it will introduce a V10 production version of their F1 engine.

so how about a V8 that mugen-honda develop for Legend MAX that is use on Lemans. You might think that Honda is also planning to introduce a V8.

Hybrids are coming is all a matter of time, how about direct injection and 3 stage I-VTEC or advanced VTEC. Where is VCM on the RL, you would think that if the Honda inspire has it that the legend (RL) would too.

The future looks uncertain, but interesting for sure. Just to see Honda remake the NSX is a sight to be seen.

what do you guys think?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see it anytime soon. While it is very possible, I just doubt it will happen in the next couple years. Maybe an IMA V8?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Bitium
How about V10, Honda has said that with the next NSX it will introduce a V10 production version of their F1 engine.

so how about a V8 that mugen-honda develop for Legend MAX that is use on Lemans. You might think that Honda is also planning to introduce a V8.

Hybrids are coming is all a matter of time, how about direct injection and 3 stage I-VTEC or advanced VTEC. Where is VCM on the RL, you would think that if the Honda inspire has it that the legend (RL) would too.

The future looks uncertain, but interesting for sure. Just to see Honda remake the NSX is a sight to be seen.

what do you guys think?
Since this V-10 is rumored to be less than 3.5 litres, I would'nt be surprised to see it in a future RL or newer, upscale Acura luxury sedan...
Old 07-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Racer

Without the ability to build the motor in volume I don't see Honda (Acura) creating a giant money sink like that. I think the best bet is if they see success with their pickup truck in the US then they would green-light a V-8 that would be built for a number of vehicles - a torque'd version for the truck, a HP version for some cars. This would allow a production facility to be tooled up with the hope of at least breaking even; tooling up for a motor for a vehicle like the RL which might have annual sales volumes of 20K (and no doubt the V-8 would be an optional motor, so less than 20K motors a year) is kind of counter to the savvy business decisions for which Honda is famous. As to the F1 V-10, they will probably draw upon lessons learned there in any new design but I really don't see them building a 18K rpm motor for a passenger vehicle. Since F1 has changed the rules and is phasing out V-10's I would also think that HRC has more things on their plate to design/build a V-8 that will be competitive in F1.

A V8 is certainly possible, but only if Honda feels they have enough vehicles to sell the motor through to reward the investment into the production line. My personal opinion is that their pickup truck sales numbers will be the key determinant in that.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V8 in the RL via F1 Racing and the Ridgeline

Excellent post Karl_in_Chicago! I agree that the Ridgeline holds the key to future V8 production potential. I understand that the F1 migration to V8's, which will be in the under 3.0 Liter size range, may also bode well for not only Honda and BAR Racing (now 40% owned by Honda soon to be 100%) but also for the RL and/or it's successor.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised to see an IMA 3.5 V-6....
Old 07-24-2005, 12:26 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it. If there really isnt much demand for a V8 in their cars then I don't see why they'd make it. As it stands, it doesnt seem like there is muich demand for the V8 aside from people on car forums and car mags wanting it. The avg Joe most likely does not really care (or even want) a V8 so until that changes I dont see them making a V8 specifically for the RL or for any of their sedans/SUVs.

Even if the RL had a V8 I doubt its sales figures would drastically increase...most people who pass on the RL most likely do it because it is "only" an Acura or because they prefer other factors in the RL's competitors so even if it had a badass V8 I doubt they'd suddenly want it.

I think it is a given that you'll see the V6 hybrid in the RL by 2007 model year.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
There is no information on this new V10's displacement. I'd say its over 5 liters though. Just a guess.

As for the rumored Honda V-8, its being tested in the Ridgeline right now. I'd imagine it would be 4.2 liters or so.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Retired MOD

Good comments. I would personally like to see a V6 3 stage I-VTEC and hybrid. 3 stage I-vtec not only increases power, but is a lot more efficient and shuts down the enigne while using IMA in low speed easy driving condition. V8 would be nice, but if you put all honda technologies on a V6, it can be a beast. I hate that many technologies only go to the 4 cylinder honda engines series.