Urgent information: Safety recall on all 2005-2008 RLs re power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:40 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I would not dance around the issue, waiting to see if it gets fixed properly. Be fair, but be honest.

If Acura calls before they fender is corrected, I would explain the recall work was done and rate accordingly. I would ALSO tell them the fender was damaged in the process. Then explain the dealer did offer to make the repair and you are waiting on that result. Then I would ask Acura CS to call back and follow up on your evaluation on the repair.

By doing so, you seperate the issues so each can be rated accordingly without one being dependent on the other. Next, accidents happen and you can see if the dealership makes good of it. Sometimes seeing how well they rectify an issue is more valuable to your confidence in them. It will also give Acura an opportunity to evaluate the repair proceedure and if it results in dented fenders - or at least advise more caution to the techs (likley your situaton was solely from the tech's inexperience and lack of caution).

And should the dealer not make good on the fender, you have credibility with CS for addressing the recall as one issue and the fender as a secondary issue. You can lever the secondary issue better when it was not dependent on the recall issue.

Keep us posted on the progress. If there is no paint damage, paintless dent repair is an amazing thing these days.
Well I took my car in this morning to get the impressions/dents fixed and they did a great job. There were no scratches so the paint looks fine as well. The service advisor apologized again. I told him I realize things like this can happen and was just glad the PDR work turned out good.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
That is great news.

Even if inconvenianced, this may have been a backhanded way to be better attended to by your dealer. They tend to remember people they caused an issue to. They better remember a customer that is pleased with the turn out of the efforts they made.

Complaining can support the 'squeeky wheel' notion, but it can also give you a toxic reputation and few will want to deal with you.

Now give the RL a wash, clay, polish and wax as a holiday present!
(I had that on my agenda for today too....didn't happen!)
Old 12-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Retired and Loving It

Has anyone received the recall letter that was supose to come out on 12/17/07.
I'm still waiting to see if Acura sends them out.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Instructor

I just got my recall letter today. Basically it says to allow up to 60 days to get schedualed for an appointment.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I got mine Yesterday....Haven't decided whether I will do it yet or not....I don't plan on having the car much longer....I get a new vehicle every two years.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcheney
Took my car in for the B16 to Pohanka. I asked them to change the differential fluid and perform the recall. They gave me a loaner TSX for a couple of hours. Not quite up to the level of comfort of my RL, but hey, it was free.

Like clock work they called me 2 1/2 hours later and said it was ready. I checked the engine compartment and the cover and clips and all look good. I'll need a flashlight to look down lower to the hose and check that but all seems good so far.

The total with tax and disposal fees and all for the differential fluid change was $82. I'll do the oil change and tire rotation myself.

I have to say, my experience with them was very positive.

Happy to hear you have had good service with Pohanka. I have never dealt with them but I have heard good reports about them. I can't say that has been the case with the other Acura dealers I have dealt with. I will have to give them a try.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Still no recall letter. Heading in for A1 service today, dealer says they are waiting for parts and have about 15 RLs to do (that they know of so far).
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
Frequently they tell you longer so they have flexibility in when to start. If you were waiting, they would probably start immediately. If not, they work on the cars for the people who are waiting, then the others. If I know a repair will only be an hour or so, I take the first appointment (7:30 A.M.) and wait. If I don't know how long it will take or it will be a while, I just drop it off in the morning and pick it up at night.

LL
I just dropped my car off at Mongomeryville Acura@ 4:00 pm and the service advisor told me the car will be done by 4:00 pm.

It is fine with me because they gave me a 07 MDX as a car loaner. At least I have the MDX all day long to drive around.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
I just dropped my car off at Mongomeryville Acura@ 4:00 pm and the service advisor told me the car will be done by 4:00 pm.
Wow, that's fast service!

Nice, new building at Montgomeryville...

LL
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by lland
Wow, that's fast service!

Nice, new building at Montgomeryville...

LL

My bad. I meant 9:00 am not 4:00 pm.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Asian07RL

Happy to have my RL back.

I am so happy to have my RL back.
The interior of the RL and the seat are so much better than in the MDX.

"The MDX has heavier steering, slower engine response and more like truck ride. The RL feels like a sports car"
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
There was some discussion on page 5 about why poeple were asked to drop their car off for 6+ hours, when the recall pays 1.3 hours. In addition to the scheduling explination, another important one is to allow the engine to cool down.

Most of this work is done between the rear of the engine and the firewall. We have to stick our arms down from the top, to the steering rack, which is located at a low point of the car. The main issue is the rear cat, which gets extremely hot. And the heatshield around the cat. Add to that the heat coming off the engine, ect, it can be quite uncomfortable working on a waiter that just drove their car for 30 mins.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a mechanic, I expect to work on hot cars, get burns, etc. Ask anyone who has changed the oil on a hot RSX or TSX...that exhaust pipe is quite close to the oil filter, and when you change multiple ones a day, you're bound to slip your hand off the filter at some point and hit the exhaust with your arm. Doens't feel very good. And the cat is hotter than that.

So I hope there is some additional understanding as to why you may be asked to leave your car for more time then it actually takes to do the repair. I'm sure some techs out there don't mind or don't care about doing this repair on a hot engine for a waiter, but I asked my boss that if at all possible, have poeple drop theirs off for the day, or at least a few hours. Haven't had any complaints yet.

Hope this insight helps a little bit.

-- Kevin

P.S. I'de like to see what nisreo has to say about this, since he and I have had some input in this recall discussion earlier in the thread.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by acuratech239

-- Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks for the insight. It is beneficial to get a tech's perspective on the board. Appreciate your posting.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MOAcuraRL
I had mine in on Friday (21st) for Schedule B service and had them do the hose kit as well. Picked up the car and already had concerns about carefulness working over the fenders and wouldn't you know it.. I saw two impressions/dents on the drivers side fender. Needless to say I was not happy. Service guy noticed me looking at the car and came out and asked what was wrong. I showed him and he was immediately very apologetic and said they had a guy who could take care of it. I asked him if he was referring to the PDR guy and he said yes. Unfortunately he said he wouldn't be in until the following Wednesday (tomorrow the 26th) but said give him a call and he would get it fixed.. he would either come get the car, or have the guy come out to me, but I plan to take it to the dealership though to give the guy the best working environment to fix it right. I know they can do good work as they fixed a door ding on my GF's TSX and you couldn't tell it afterwards and I consider myself very good at noticing those kinds of repairs. They even did the door ding for her for free. Unfortunately after I got home and did closer observations I notice another tiny one on the other fender so I'll point that out as well when I take it in... Just very frustrating. My GF thinks I should contact the GM of the dealership, but I told her I was going to give them a chance to make it right before I escalate. The dealership is usually of very high quality standards and service and never had a problem before. Then I have the question of how do I respond to Acura survey if I get called. Of course it will depend on how well they fix it. Needless to say if they don't fix it perfectly I will be escalating... Anyway.. keep an eye out if you when you get this done... I guess as someone else pointed out it seems it might take some kind of gymnastics to get to the hose.
I found out I had 3 dents on my driver's side fender too! The dents are pretty hard to see, you have to be level with the fender to actually see it. I'm not sure how visible it is in direct sunlight, but in the garage, it's impossible to see if you're not level with the fender. They're really minor, so it's not that big of a deal, I'll probably get them fixed at a body shop in the future when there's more blemishes on the car. Don't feel like dealing with the dealer.

And somehow my memory seating and everything disappeared, and I tried pushing the memo button and driver 1 to get it back, but it doesn't do the 2nd beep. But the weird thing is that my key fob is paired with the car because it says Welcome and Driver 1 on the bottom. And i also checked the customization screen on the MID and the all the memory seating is turned on.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I received the recall letter a few days ago and had it done on Thursday while the car was in for the steering wheel and backup camera install. When I got home I checked the VIN in the engine compartment and it hadn't been stamped. I called them back and asked about that and the service advisor said that they never stamp the VIN's for recalls because it's all tracked in their online system. At least I didn't have any dents in my fender.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
I received the recall letter a few days ago and had it done on Thursday while the car was in for the steering wheel and backup camera install. When I got home I checked the VIN in the engine compartment and it hadn't been stamped. I called them back and asked about that and the service advisor said that they never stamp the VIN's for recalls because it's all tracked in their online system. At least I didn't have any dents in my fender.
If I were you, I'd insist they stamp the VIN. It could come up at a later date, maybe even for the next owner of the car, and tracing it back to your dealer's records could be a bear or even impossible.

It's in the TSB to do it, so they should be doing it.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Under your Acura...

Originally Posted by acuratech239
There was some discussion on page 5 about why poeple were asked to drop their car off for 6+ hours, when the recall pays 1.3 hours. In addition to the scheduling explination, another important one is to allow the engine to cool down.

Most of this work is done between the rear of the engine and the firewall. We have to stick our arms down from the top, to the steering rack, which is located at a low point of the car. The main issue is the rear cat, which gets extremely hot. And the heatshield around the cat. Add to that the heat coming off the engine, ect, it can be quite uncomfortable working on a waiter that just drove their car for 30 mins.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a mechanic, I expect to work on hot cars, get burns, etc. Ask anyone who has changed the oil on a hot RSX or TSX...that exhaust pipe is quite close to the oil filter, and when you change multiple ones a day, you're bound to slip your hand off the filter at some point and hit the exhaust with your arm. Doens't feel very good. And the cat is hotter than that.

So I hope there is some additional understanding as to why you may be asked to leave your car for more time then it actually takes to do the repair. I'm sure some techs out there don't mind or don't care about doing this repair on a hot engine for a waiter, but I asked my boss that if at all possible, have poeple drop theirs off for the day, or at least a few hours. Haven't had any complaints yet.

-- Kevin

P.S. I'de like to see what nisreo has to say about this, since he and I have had some input in this recall discussion earlier in the thread.
i have a burns on my right arm all the time from the tsx. im about to get a tattoo there saying owned by tsx..

anyway about the recall.. Ive done multiple ones, and im down to 29 minutes. its not that bad once you get in a rythm.

we do not do wait's ps hose recalls. its an all day thing with a loaner.

i tend to do mine at the end of the day, cooler, and who wants to do a ps hose the first thing in the morning? not me.

the worst part of the rl hose recall is fishing in back in, tacking it out is easy, dont take it out the top, out the bottom is much easier. put it back in the top. lining the brackets back up has been an issue but i use hondabond to hold the 10mm bolt on the socket and use a long 1/4" drive extension to get to the bolts from above.

i dont mind doing them anymore really.. just dont put the power steering pressure switch on before you put the hose in and its much easier, put it on after everything is bolted up..
Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
If I were you, I'd insist they stamp the VIN. It could come up at a later date, maybe even for the next owner of the car, and tracing it back to your dealer's records could be a bear or even impossible.

It's in the TSB to do it, so they should be doing it.

As long as OwnerLink shows the recall as being done, that's all I really care about. I also have the service records showing the recall as being done. I have an oil change coming up in a month or two. I'll have them stamp it then.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Got the recall done with my A1 service, and dang if I too didn't have a nice, new, 1 inch dimple in the upper surface of the driver's side fender. I found it the next day as I was opening the hood to look for a socket wrench that the tech left there (according to a slightly embarrassed phone call from the SA). When I took off the heat shield the socket wrench wasn't there, so it must have fallen out on the long drive home. Hope nobody got hurt!

Car smelled pretty awful for about 24 hours too, then cleared up.

The SA says they will take care of the dimple next time I'm in. The dealer is 35 miles away, which in SoCal traffic might as well be on the moon. So I will have to pretend not to notice it for about 3-4 months, or get it done myself locally.

Is there some contortion that the techs have to do that is causing this dimpling on the opposite side from the PS hose repair?? I'm at least the 3rd one to report this. Maybe needs a TSB of its own...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Got the recall letter yesterday. I'll give the dealer another week or two before calling again about an appointment. I am really not that concerned about an engine fire in freezing Cleveland in January.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:06 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Got the recall done with my A1 service, and dang if I too didn't have a nice, new, 1 inch dimple in the upper surface of the driver's side fender.

+++++++++++ snip +++++++++++++

Is there some contortion that the techs have to do that is causing this dimpling on the opposite side from the PS hose repair?? I'm at least the 3rd one to report this. Maybe needs a TSB of its own...

That's borderline bizarre. Surely they don't use the fender as a pry point or something (?)

If they had all happened at the same dealership, I'd go looking for a tech with a big ol' Texas rodeo belt buckle. But these are happening all over.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Just got the recall letter yesterday. I will do it in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Retired and Loving It

I received the recall letter yesterday. I'll probably wait until my next oil change because the problem has not come up on my 05 RL.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Asian07RL

I just got the recall letter yesterday but it was too late because I already got mine done.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 AM
AcurAdmirer

Just got my letter, too, but there's no time to get it done prior to my trade in a couple of days.

Guess maybe I'll just give the letter to the Lexus dealer ... he'll love that.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
As for everyone that saying they have dents/dimples after this recall is done, I can't say why that would be happening. Personally, I do all my work from the front of the car, and at no point do I really do any work while leaning over the fenders. And even though there's nothing that you can really damage while leaning over the engine, I still put a fender cover on.

So to those of you who have dents, I'm going to guess the techs that work on your cars do some work from the side, hence the damage. I know that's an obvious statement, it was just in reference to how I do the recall This is also a reason I don't wear a belt to work, in case I am leaning on any part of the car.

And to Tech7427, I'm a pretty skinny guy, so I'm lucky enough to be able to reach the whole way down to the rack, etc, and start those 10mm bolts with my fingers, and then just use tools to tighten it. Same with the 14mm on the hose at the rack. And yes, one time I wasn't thinking and put the P/S pressure switch on before install. I took it back off after I realized why I wasn't able to get the hose in

-- Kevin
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Dimples on the fender after the recall work!?! You guys are scaring me. Maybe I'll look on the lot at their other RLs and see if they're dimpled because presumably all the lot cars had the fix done in their service bay.

I know that Acura is being proactive in replacing the hose, but I'm wondering why they don't just install a protective shield on those cars that don't have a certain number of miles.

Rob144
Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Instructor

We finally got the leter on Monday - but already had it done. I'll have to look closer to see if there are any dimples. I remember having that happen on a Datsun (that is what later became Nissan for you young guys :wink: ) caused by leaning over the fender while doing engine work.

Where is the engine compartment vin plate? I took a look but it did not jump out at me.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Recall Letter

I received the Recall letter over the Weekend. I have a scheduled appointment for it in the coming week.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
We finally got the leter on Monday - but already had it done. I'll have to look closer to see if there are any dimples. I remember having that happen on a Datsun (that is what later became Nissan for you young guys :wink: ) caused by leaning over the fender while doing engine work.

Where is the engine compartment vin plate? I took a look but it did not jump out at me.
Right underneath the center of the windshield in the engine compartment, below and back of the black plastic trim piece with the wiper fluid nozzles. It's a pretty good sized plate - it's easier to see with a flashlight.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
recall letter a few weeks ago.. will bring the RL in during the next oil change...
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Just received the recall letter. Ditto with some of the other posters- I'll wait until I need an oil change.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my letter yesterday. Dealer said they've been getting "a lot" of calls to schedule this fix. Hmmmm...didn't realize there were "a lot" of RL's on the road. Ha.

Jeez, I dread having this kind of work done by these guys...

So far I've read about: dents in the fender? cracked plastic on the engine cover? fluid draining all over the engine so that it has to "dry" before you pick it up (what, you can't use a freaking shop towel and wipe it off?!?)? a socket wrench dropped inside the engine compartment that the mechanic cannot find? are you kidding me?

have you guys read the posts on this thread? is anybody else alarmed by this sh*t?

...what the hell?!?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone just waited for this service to be done? Wondering how long this recall will take? I'm hoping that the dealer I bought from will offer a loaner car? I'm still about 1500 miles away from an oil change, so I might wait and get the recall done and get a couple of TSB's done as well. The dealership is about 25 miles from my house...so, trying to kill as many birds with one stone.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by vluu
Has anyone just waited for this service to be done? Wondering how long this recall will take? I'm hoping that the dealer I bought from will offer a loaner car? I'm still about 1500 miles away from an oil change, so I might wait and get the recall done and get a couple of TSB's done as well. The dealership is about 25 miles from my house...so, trying to kill as many birds with one stone.
so, trying to kill as many birds with one

Ask for the car loan and they will give it to you.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Got ours done yesterday at John Eagle Acura, West Houston. Left it all day and picked it up this morning (they gave me a TSX loaner that they said I could take home). Engine compartment seems fine (nothing broken or missing, no huge spill), but the VIN is not stamped, and there are a couple of tiny blemishes on top of each fender. You have to look closely and catch the light reflection just so, in order to see them. IMO these have a lot to do with the nature of the fenders (rather thin gage aluminum) and for all I know these might have been there previously (obviously not hard to create - all you need to do is press on the fenders).

My suggestion to all is to examine your fenders very carefully (with the light at various angles) BEFORE you take your car in for this recall...that way you'll be sure if any blemish was there before or caused by the techs.

As for me, I'm not terribly happy, but I've decided for now that the lower stress option going forward is to ignore these blemishes rather than attempting to bring them up to the dealer. I'll probably wash the car this weekend and then take another look at them to decide.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Had our car towed in on Wednesday (our wipers had failed over the holidays) and decided to get the recall done as well.

It's been 3 days and we still dont have our car back. Will update once we receive it.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

The number of people that are reporting damage to the fenders is very alarming.
This information should be shared with Acura when feedback is requested. I do not think any techs are being decidedly careless, but the sensitivity to the fenders should be communicated in the recall advisement for the techs. If these fenders are subject to damage easily, then extra precautions should be taken and the need t do this should be highlighted. I do note the fenders are very wide and understand it does make it awkward to work over them.

I am grateful I have a great rapport with my tech and can express my concern about this procedure without torquing him off. I've already talked to him about it and he was very generous explaining how and what he does. I thought he said he did everything beneath the car. But since he is on vacation, I will be waiting his return to get the recall done.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The number of people that are reporting damage to the fenders is very alarming.
This information should be shared with Acura when feedback is requested. I do not think any techs are being decidedly careless, but the sensitivity to the fenders should be communicated in the recall advisement for the techs. If these fenders are subject to damage easily, then extra precautions should be taken and the need t do this should be highlighted. I do note the fenders are very wide and understand it does make it awkward to work over them.

I am grateful I have a great rapport with my tech and can express my concern about this procedure without torquing him off. I've already talked to him about it and he was very generous explaining how and what he does. I thought he said he did everything beneath the car. But since he is on vacation, I will be waiting his return to get the recall done.

...aaahhhh, chalk this up to wisdom of surviving the angry thirties and staying focused on the important stuff needed to get the job done in the forties. Sometimes the relationships that we build are truly the grease that cures the squeaky wheel.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Question, is the damage to the fenders visible? I am taking my car in to have the recall work done on Friday and want to make sure I know what is going on. While they have my car they will one more time try to address the tick coming from the back window when driving over bumps. I really hope they get it right.

Quick Reply: Urgent information: Safety recall on all 2005-2008 RLs re power steering