Urgent information: Safety recall on all 2005-2008 RLs re power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:41 AM
Advanced

Im a big fan of message boards, and have been on them since I got my permit. So i know how nice it is to have reliable information available. Glad I can help some people out with my experience.
Old 12-14-2007 | 12:35 PM
Black

I'm scheduled to have this done Monday.

My dealer "pre-orders" parts when they hear about recalls and such. While it may not help everyone, the reality is that every time I've needed something done it's been done quickly and before the "onslaught" of worried owners who received notices...
Old 12-14-2007 | 12:55 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by lindros2
I'm scheduled to have this done Monday.

My dealer "pre-orders" parts when they hear about recalls and such. While it may not help everyone, the reality is that every time I've needed something done it's been done quickly and before the "onslaught" of worried owners who received notices...
Have they actually sent out a notice (to current owners)? I know one went to the dealers and said taking care of in stock CPO and new inventory was 1st priority (its illegal to sell a vehicle with a known defect or recall). I was figuring they would be hiding the issue from current owners for a short time to get enough replacement parts for all the RL's on the road.
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
Have they actually sent out a notice (to current owners)? I know one went to the dealers and said taking care of in stock CPO and new inventory was 1st priority (its illegal to sell a vehicle with a known defect or recall). I was figuring they would be hiding the issue from current owners for a short time to get enough replacement parts for all the RL's on the road.
In the .pdf in the first post, they indicate that recall notices will be sent out next week (12/18) to owners. My MID is showing 20%, so I guess I'll be having this done as part of my routine service sooner than I thought.
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:19 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

^^
What they say they will do and what you RL owners have experienced may not match up. I was just curious if they had contacted owners via mail or Owner link at this point.

I guess not.
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by black label
^^
What they say they will do and what you RL owners have experienced may not match up. I was just curious if they had contacted owners via mail or Owner link at this point.

I guess not.
The recall shows up in Owner Link in the "My Vehicle" section, but you have to click on the recall section to see it. There's no active notification there.
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:42 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by dwboston
The recall shows up in Owner Link in the "My Vehicle" section, but you have to click on the recall section to see it. There's no active notification there.
I get notifications every time my passenger airbag is disabled because of a package on the seat, but it won't automatically notify me of a recall. That's nice.
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:47 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I get notifications every time my passenger airbag is disabled because of a package on the seat, but it won't automatically notify me of a recall. That's nice.
Do mean a message on your nav screen or an email from owner link? I wouldn't expect a recall notice to be sent to your nav screen (although it would be nice). I was under the impression (and I may be wrong) that if their was a recall notice on your car, they would email you if you're registered with owner link(not Acura Link, which is pretty useless IMO).
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:57 PM
Go Big Blue!

Oh man, that would REALLY be annoying if I got an email also. No, I was just referring to the letter icon on your nav screen. If there was a recall or other problem with the car I'd like to notified with the icon on my screen. of course, they should send a letter also.

DWBoston said he got a notification in Owners Link but I initially misunderstood him and thought he meant the nav screen. None the less, it would still be a good idea to download it right to my car and notify me that way.
Old 12-14-2007 | 02:04 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

I kind of like the email, you would receive it much sooner than the snail mail, but if they could just send a message to the car, thet would be a great way to go.
Old 12-14-2007 | 02:21 PM
Safety Car

In answer to your question, I have not received a mail notice of the recall. I have only found out about here, and by actively clicking on the Recall section of the Owner's Link website...but who ever does that? I only did because I found out about it on this board.
Old 12-14-2007 | 02:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The notification date is Dec 18, although I also see it on my OwnerLink I don't expect to get email from OwnerLink until that date (or after). Snail mail will also be sent.

I expect an AcuraLink message will be sent to the RL after the official notification date of Dec 18.

FYI, the Airbag OFF message on the NAVI is not sent by AcuraLink. It is an internal diagnostic message within the RL. (Same as gas cap loose, etc).

Messages sent to the RL are from an external source (ie. OwnerLink) and ferried to the RL via the AcuraLink Servers and XM.

I'm kinda surprised there is a message on OwnerLink already, being earlier than the notification date.
Old 12-15-2007 | 12:49 PM
Black

My Owner Link section has the recall posted, but you can't click on it (yet) for more information and (like others have said), I wouldn't have gone there unless I heard about it first. Somewhat counter-intuitive...

Here is my online notice; nothing in the postal mail yet:

Old 12-17-2007 | 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm going in for my A1 service today (that came quicker than I thought!). I spoke with my service advisor, who indicates they don't have enough parts for the campaign yet, only for their sales stock. He hasn't heard about anyone with problems with their RL's steering or with engine fires.
Old 12-17-2007 | 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianTL
nisreo and acuratech239,

Good to have you guys on this forum.

Thanks guys,

Thanks guys for the info! I work for Honda if you guys need any help any Honda cars!!!!
Old 12-17-2007 | 11:43 AM
Asian07RL

g0df8the12,

Glad to have you on board,

Thanks,
Old 12-17-2007 | 07:36 PM
Instructor

Wife made appointment for first service this Thursday - and they now have the parts.
Old 12-17-2007 | 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianTL
g0df8the12,

Glad to have you on board,

Thanks,

No prob. Im here to help when I can!!
Old 12-18-2007 | 12:26 PM
Asian07RL

I stopped by Montgomeryville Acura dealer and made an appointment to bring the car in next Thursday for replacement of power steering hose. I asked for a car loan and the service advisor hook me up for one.

No need to wait for the letter.

P.S: My company is 15 minutes from the dealer
Old 12-19-2007 | 12:18 PM
7th Gear

Press release on the recall

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=agQ0IUzJOPAE

It seems that it may have happened in Japan on the Legend first.

Honda Recalls 43,200 Acuras Over Fire Risk From Hose (Update4)

By Gopal Ratnam

Dec. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co. is recalling 43,200 Acura RL sedans in the U.S. to fix a power steering hose that may crack from engine heat and possibly cause a fire.

The recall by Tokyo-based Honda affects 2005-2008 models, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which posted the information yesterday on its Web site.

The cracked hose can release a volatile fluid onto a hot catalytic converter, leading to a fire, Honda said. The automaker received two reports of fires in Japan, triggering an internal investigation that led to the recall, according to a letter posted on NHTSA's Web site.

Honda began notifying owners yesterday, and dealers will install a heat-resistant hose, according to the letter from William Willen, a lawyer with Honda's Torrance, California-based U.S. unit.

The recall in the U.S. follows an earlier recall for the same model in Japan filed to the country's transport ministry on Dec. 6. Honda recalled 8,657 Acuras, known as the Legend in Japan, for the same reason, according to the filing.

Recalls also are under way for 37,000 XC90 sport-utility vehicles from Ford Motor Co.'s Volvo and for 40,424 Suzuki Motor Corp. Grand Vitara SUVs, the safety agency said on its Web site.

The climate-control module on 2007-08 model year XC90s may shut down after the ignition key is inserted, disabling the defroster in cold weather and reducing visibility, NHTSA said.

A U.S. spokesman for Volvo, Dan Johnston in Rockleigh, New Jersey, confirmed the recall and otherwise declined to comment.

The Suzuki recall involves Grand Vitaras from the 2006-07 model year. The SUV's automatic transmission may slip out of park when the engine is shut off, the safety agency said. When the condition occurs and the parking brake isn't fully engaged, the vehicle may roll, causing a crash, according to NHTSA.

Beth Borozan, a U.S. spokeswoman for Hamamatsu, Japan-based Suzuki, confirmed the recall and otherwise declined to comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Gopal Ratnam in Washington at gratnam1@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: December 18, 2007 21:07 EST
Old 12-19-2007 | 12:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, thank goodness ours just involves a chance of fire, and not something serious like the climate control shutting off!

Old 12-19-2007 | 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

"The automaker received two reports of fires in Japan, triggering an internal investigation that led to the recall..."

When I had my Volvo, there was a problem with the electronic throttle system that Volvo knew about for years (investigators found memos alluding to the problem) yet continued to install faulty parts. There was a 90%+ failure rate, often beyond the warranty period that would cost the owner more than $1,000 (it cost me $1,005). Frequently, the replacement part would fail as well. Volvo (Ford) fought the NHTSA for years and finally agreed to extend the warranty on that part to 200,000 miles and reimbursed owners who paid for the repair, never admitting the problem or agreeing to a recall (apparently they did eventually redesign the part and fix the issue). One of the many reasons I will never buy another Volvo and would be very hesitant to buy any Ford product.

Kudos to Honda for recognizing and addressing the issue quickly.

LL
Old 12-19-2007 | 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lland
"The automaker received two reports of fires in Japan, triggering an internal investigation that led to the recall..."

When I had my Volvo, there was a problem with the electronic throttle system that Volvo knew about for years (investigators found memos alluding to the problem) yet continued to install faulty parts. There was a 90%+ failure rate, often beyond the warranty period that would cost the owner more than $1,000 (it cost me $1,005). Frequently, the replacement part would fail as well. Volvo (Ford) fought the NHTSA for years and finally agreed to extend the warranty on that part to 200,000 miles and reimbursed owners who paid for the repair, never admitting the problem or agreeing to a recall (apparently they did eventually redesign the part and fix the issue). One of the many reasons I will never buy another Volvo and would be very hesitant to buy any Ford product.

Kudos to Honda for recognizing and addressing the issue quickly.

LL
Sounds like the 2nd Gen TL transmission issue(s). The oil jet kit was to fix an issue that happened in maybe a handful of cars while the larger issue of disintegrating clutch packs in the 5-speed transmission was "ignored" - Acura later extended the tranny warranty to 100k, but many folks had multiple failures and replacements and were SOL after 100k miles.
Old 12-19-2007 | 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwboston
Sounds like the 2nd Gen TL transmission issue(s). The oil jet kit was to fix an issue that happened in maybe a handful of cars while the larger issue of disintegrating clutch packs in the 5-speed transmission was "ignored" - Acura later extended the tranny warranty to 100k, but many folks had multiple failures and replacements and were SOL after 100k miles.
Don't remind us. I owned a 2GTL. Thankfully, my tranny didn't blow, but then again, I traded for a 3GTL before it could.

It sounds like Honda learned its lesson from the tranny fiasco. Kudos for handling their business before people in our litigious country reported RL fires.
Old 12-19-2007 | 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Don't remind us. I owned a 2GTL. Thankfully, my tranny didn't blow, but then again, I traded for a 3GTL before it could.

It sounds like Honda learned its lesson from the tranny fiasco. Kudos for handling their business before people in our litigious country reported RL fires.
I had one too - 03 TL-S. Outside the VIN range for the 100k warranty extension even though cars built after mine had multiple failures. That's why I upgraded to the RL.
Old 12-20-2007 | 05:50 PM
Instructor

My wife took it in for the A1 & Recall - they called my wife around noon. "We had a problem getting the bolt that holds the power steering pump loose - and, uh, we broke the plastic engine cover. We ordered a new one but it won't be here until tomorrow." My wife is bummed because the TL loaner "isn't even close to as nice a car as the RL". I told her to tell them they should just go borrow one off an RL on the lot. Glad I suggested that she give them a rubber day and not schedule the work on Friday like she originally planned - we would have been without the car for the holidays.

At least they fessed up to it - the Ford dealer did something similar to my van once when they changed the fuel filter. When I picked it up, the water in fuel light was on.
"The sensor on the fuel filter housing is broken."
"I don't suppose that could have happened when you were changing the filter."
"Oh, no - that couldn't have happened."
"Yea - right!"

Another dealer forgot to put back the dipstick after service - I didn't discover it until the next oil change. The technician at Oil Changes went to check the level and said "Where's your dipstick?"

Like I always say - If I wanted it done wrong I would have done it myself!
Old 12-20-2007 | 10:27 PM
Racer

oh geeze that is why I am waiting to get it done until they have some experience....
Old 12-21-2007 | 08:30 AM
Advanced

You only need to remove a total of 7- 10mm and 4- 8mm bolts to do the job, all of which are easily loosened. As for breaking the engine cover, theres 2 big plastic retainers to turn before you remove it..... Sounds like this dealer has some rough techs.
Old 12-21-2007 | 08:34 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Recall successfully performed (as far as I could tell)

Took my car in for the B16 to Pohanka. I asked them to change the differential fluid and perform the recall. They gave me a loaner TSX for a couple of hours. Not quite up to the level of comfort of my RL, but hey, it was free.

Like clock work they called me 2 1/2 hours later and said it was ready. I checked the engine compartment and the cover and clips and all look good. I'll need a flashlight to look down lower to the hose and check that but all seems good so far.

The total with tax and disposal fees and all for the differential fluid change was $82. I'll do the oil change and tire rotation myself.

I have to say, my experience with them was very positive.
Old 12-21-2007 | 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nisreo
You only need to remove a total of 7- 10mm and 4- 8mm bolts to do the job, all of which are easily loosened. As for breaking the engine cover, theres 2 big plastic retainers to turn before you remove it..... Sounds like this dealer has some rough techs.

Yea - if it won't come loose we'll just use the "John Wayne" method until it does or something breaks.

I had a similar thing happen on one of my 69 Porsches. While I was having some work done that I don't have the facilities for - I asked them to remove the speedo and send it for repair of the non-functioning odometer.

The mechanic didn't know that prior to 1970, the gauges were not held in by just a rubber ring and removable from the front, but they were held in with a strap across the back and 2 thumb nuts. When the speedo would not come out using "normal" force - he decided to "John Wayne" it with a screwdriver and pry it out - using the rim of the (recently installed new) clock next to it as a leverage point.

To add insult to injury - he just put the repaired speedo back in and didn't repair or say anything about the damage - like I wouldn't notice - and in fact I didn't because it was behind a spoke in the steering wheel when the wheels were straight. I spotted it on the way home and was so incredulous that I nearly ran off the road.

I called the shop owner on the phone and his response was "your kidding?" I love that response. "Why the f... would I kid about something like that - how could I POSSIBLY make something that ridiculous that up???"

That - and other incidents with that shop (the owner was a customer of mine so we worked on the barter system) and other shops - is what caused me to coin the phrase - "If I wanted it done wrong I would have done it myself!"
Old 12-24-2007 | 02:08 PM
Pro

so...I took my RL to get the recall done. Took it in at 9am, and they say they'll be done at 3pm. I thought it was complete BS, because on the service bulletins it says 1.3 hour, but I didn't want to say anything considering that they have my car. So when it comes the the service evaluation, I'll put that down. And their service was so-so, bleh.

Either they have some really incompetent techs..or something. , when will Acura step up their dealers?

And I saw a tech, driving a TSX and hit the bumper hard while getting out of the lot.........
Old 12-24-2007 | 02:22 PM
Go Big Blue!

1.3 hours of work time. That doesn't mean wall time. They have to account for urgent matters on other cars, breaks, lunch time, bathroom time, etc. Plus, it's Christmas Eve. I'm sure they are short handed and running at 1/2 speed.
Old 12-24-2007 | 02:58 PM
Pro

I guess you're right. They said my car's just about ready now. I'm just wondering why the huge difference in estimated time? I know probably for their sake so they can have a large margin, but it's really inconvenient for me....
Old 12-24-2007 | 03:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
I guess you're right. They said my car's just about ready now. I'm just wondering why the huge difference in estimated time? I know probably for their sake so they can have a large margin, but it's really inconvenient for me....
I spoke to my tech about this procedure on Saturday. Besides the gymnastics needed in the engine bay to remove the power steering hose and replace with a new one, the primary issue they have with this is the PS fluid gushes all over the area when the old hose is removed as much as he tries to limit leakage. He said it is a messy job in that respect.

He advised me when I take my RL in for the replacement, to leave it all day or overnight so there would be plenty of time for the fluid to drain off / dry up and less burn off would result. It was a coutesy advisement I appreciated.

Perhaps your tech was following the same strategy? Maybe he was doing you a favor.
Old 12-24-2007 | 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
so...I took my RL to get the recall done. Took it in at 9am, and they say they'll be done at 3pm. I thought it was complete BS, because on the service bulletins it says 1.3 hour, but I didn't want to say anything considering that they have my car. So when it comes the the service evaluation, I'll put that down. And their service was so-so, bleh.
Frequently they tell you longer so they have flexibility in when to start. If you were waiting, they would probably start immediately. If not, they work on the cars for the people who are waiting, then the others. If I know a repair will only be an hour or so, I take the first appointment (7:30 A.M.) and wait. If I don't know how long it will take or it will be a while, I just drop it off in the morning and pick it up at night.

LL
Old 12-25-2007 | 02:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I spoke to my tech about this procedure on Saturday. Besides the gymnastics needed in the engine bay to remove the power steering hose and replace with a new one, the primary issue they have with this is the PS fluid gushes all over the area when the old hose is removed as much as he tries to limit leakage. He said it is a messy job in that respect.

He advised me when I take my RL in for the replacement, to leave it all day or overnight so there would be plenty of time for the fluid to drain off / dry up and less burn off would result. It was a coutesy advisement I appreciated.

Perhaps your tech was following the same strategy? Maybe he was doing you a favor.

He might have been, but they should have let me know so I know why they'll have the car for so long. Then I'll be like, "oh, okay." Now that, I understand. But the service adviser didn't say anything of that sort, nor did they go ask the techs why.

The techs are probably really good techs, for the RL that is...(considering the last post of the tech driving the TSX and hitting the bumper on the ground), never really met any of them, so I don't really know. But it's the service advisers that need to step it up.

Wish I like a dealer like yours Tampa Still searching, haha.
Old 12-25-2007 | 02:50 PM
2010 CBP TL SH-AWD TECH

Angry

I had mine in on Friday (21st) for Schedule B service and had them do the hose kit as well. Picked up the car and already had concerns about carefulness working over the fenders and wouldn't you know it.. I saw two impressions/dents on the drivers side fender. Needless to say I was not happy. Service guy noticed me looking at the car and came out and asked what was wrong. I showed him and he was immediately very apologetic and said they had a guy who could take care of it. I asked him if he was referring to the PDR guy and he said yes. Unfortunately he said he wouldn't be in until the following Wednesday (tomorrow the 26th) but said give him a call and he would get it fixed.. he would either come get the car, or have the guy come out to me, but I plan to take it to the dealership though to give the guy the best working environment to fix it right. I know they can do good work as they fixed a door ding on my GF's TSX and you couldn't tell it afterwards and I consider myself very good at noticing those kinds of repairs. They even did the door ding for her for free. Unfortunately after I got home and did closer observations I notice another tiny one on the other fender so I'll point that out as well when I take it in... Just very frustrating. My GF thinks I should contact the GM of the dealership, but I told her I was going to give them a chance to make it right before I escalate. The dealership is usually of very high quality standards and service and never had a problem before. Then I have the question of how do I respond to Acura survey if I get called. Of course it will depend on how well they fix it. Needless to say if they don't fix it perfectly I will be escalating... Anyway.. keep an eye out if you when you get this done... I guess as someone else pointed out it seems it might take some kind of gymnastics to get to the hose.
Old 12-25-2007 | 07:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by MOAcuraRL
Then I have the question of how do I respond to Acura survey if I get called. Of course it will depend on how well they fix it. Needless to say if they don't fix it perfectly I will be escalating....
I would not dance around the issue, waiting to see if it gets fixed properly. Be fair, but be honest.

If Acura calls before they fender is corrected, I would explain the recall work was done and rate accordingly. I would ALSO tell them the fender was damaged in the process. Then explain the dealer did offer to make the repair and you are waiting on that result. Then I would ask Acura CS to call back and follow up on your evaluation on the repair.

By doing so, you seperate the issues so each can be rated accordingly without one being dependent on the other. Next, accidents happen and you can see if the dealership makes good of it. Sometimes seeing how well they rectify an issue is more valuable to your confidence in them. It will also give Acura an opportunity to evaluate the repair proceedure and if it results in dented fenders - or at least advise more caution to the techs (likley your situaton was solely from the tech's inexperience and lack of caution).

And should the dealer not make good on the fender, you have credibility with CS for addressing the recall as one issue and the fender as a secondary issue. You can lever the secondary issue better when it was not dependent on the recall issue.

Keep us posted on the progress. If there is no paint damage, paintless dent repair is an amazing thing these days.
Old 12-26-2007 | 08:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

I had a Toyota Sienna recently that needed the back lift gate motor replaced under warranty. I got the van back and the entire back bumper was scratched up. I mean HUNDREDS of tiny scratches all over it. It was a) unbelievable they did that, and b) disappointing they didn't report it to me themselves (like I wasn't going to notice it). In the end, they resprayed the entire bumper and it looked good as new. These guys aren't perfect. They screw up like the rest of us. It's how they deal with the mistakes that should matter. Don't flame them on a survey until after they address the problem for you.
Old 12-26-2007 | 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcook
oh geeze that is why I am waiting to get it done until they have some experience....
With the number of RLs on the road, that could be a while!

LL

Quick Reply: Urgent information: Safety recall on all 2005-2008 RLs re power steering