Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Good To Be True?

Hello,

I've been lookin at this pre-owned RL lately and wanted to get your feedback on the price: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Should I pull the trigger and take a drive to the dealership? The odometer pic with the lit up "i" scares me. I hope it won't be an issue. I just don't want to end up wasting 60+ miles round trip) to and from the dealer. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Instructor

The "I" on the gauge cluster could really mean anything... You need to cycle through all the MID displays to see what its for. Just call and ask if any of the dash lights are on with errors. If everything is good then you should be ok. That price seems about fair as long as the car is clean with no problems.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dopes6070
The "I" on the gauge cluster could really mean anything... You need to cycle through all the MID displays to see what its for. Just call and ask if any of the dash lights are on with errors. If everything is good then you should be ok. That price seems about fair as long as the car is clean with no problems.
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I feel as if I'll be wasting my time on the phone because they dealers will say that there is nothing wrong with the car and the lights are not on. I'll stop by within the next week or two and update everyone.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 AM
10th Gear

The "i" just means "Information". I see this primarily when I don't put my seatbelt on during the first 10 seconds of pulling off. From one of the pics, looks like they have the car running, so that's what it probably is.

Great car, low miles, nice price. Get an Acura dealership to look it over if you have concerns.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
You can call the dealer first and ask them what the message is.

The MID does not show error codes, but as mentioned 'information'. That informati9on will display when the car is turned on and once you toggle past the message the 'i' remains illuminated until the information message is resolved.

That message can be a service minder or simply a low fuel warning.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You may want to hold off and target a m/y 2006. Many of the bugs the 05's experienced were corrected by the second production year. Also, if new car sales rise as predicted, there will be more trade-ins which will keep prices down for those in the market for a used car. In my opinion, spending a few grand more for an '06 would be well worth it.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced

seem like a decent price for an Acura 2005 RL. I would get it if there isnt any major problems. currently I own a 2005 RL. Bought it in 2006 with 15k Miles. So far i have 70k on it. Had few problems but its not major, Like TPMS sensor, shift Cable, and one of my interior light went out. It was covered by my warrantly 100k/7 Years. If you do get it i would recommend getting a factory warrantly to cover whatever might be wrong with it in the future.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Looks nice. We love our Black RL in the same color (2007) and the one you're looking at looks the same as our 2 year newer one. Good luck! They're bulletproof cars.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Looks like a decent price.

Mulling over looking for another RL, myself.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Looks like a decent price.

Mulling over looking for another RL, myself.
Seriously?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Seriously.

I like the RL that much.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-28-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Seriously.

I like the RL that much.
What happened to blaming it on Jr's education? It could be immortalized on the internet so when he grows up with any dysfunctional attributes he can BLAME it on the owner and operating costs of CTS-V????

Nice save Bob....but some us are always watching.

*hiding behind the sofa*

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 03-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Seriously.

I like the RL that much.
I've been bored with the RL and wanting a new car with power, a six speed manual with all around more excitement. Nothing EVER goes wrong with my RL and all the gadgets work so well and predictably . . . well, there it is What I want is more power and especially more torque and more driver involvement. I'm waiting for the CTS-V to get the end of the year discounts this October to make the final decision. Only two cars left on my short list: 2010 CTS-V manual and 2010 Audi S4 also manual. Maybe after a couple of years of owning either one of these I'll be back looking for the incredible dependability and ease of ownership that the RL has to offer. I'm leaning towards the S4 now that I drove one - pretty awesome car - but unreliable. Oh, what to do . .
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

You ARE always watching, Tampa. OK, you can come out from behind the sofa, I won't hurt you too badly.

It's true that I'm thinking about my son's potential educational costs. The little guy starts kindergarten in 1 1/2 years and one of several options is to send him to a high-priced private school ($15k/year). Just planning way ahead. I can afford both....but I am taking the opportunity to rethink my personal priorities, as any parent should. I'd give up the V for my son any day of the week if necessary. Luckily, the fact that there are plenty of used RLs means I don't have to give up luxury if I go the route of going to the most expensive school...and the RL is an awesome car.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You ARE always watching, Tampa. OK, you can come out from behind the sofa, I won't hurt you too badly.

It's true that I'm thinking about my son's potential educational costs. The little guy starts kindergarten in 1 1/2 years and one of several options is to send him to a high-priced private school ($15k/year). Just planning way ahead. I can afford both....but I am taking the opportunity to rethink my personal priorities, as any parent should. I'd give up the V for my son any day of the week if necessary. Luckily, the fact that there are plenty of used RLs means I don't have to give up luxury if I go the route of going to the most expensive school...and the RL is an awesome car.
OK. Now that I have got it in writing I can meet my commitment to you wifey and send her the EVIDENCE. Please ask her to remit that check promptly.

Jr is a lucky boy. Hopefully when he is in his teens when most would throw dad under a bus to get the car keys, he will see this post on some random Google.

I know when I announced I wanted to go to college, my dad retorted, "Good Luck!".

Now, is the S2000 on the chopping block too? Perhaps I should suggest that to the wifey....

*ducking back behind the sofa*
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
OK. Now that I have got it in writing I can meet my commitment to you wifey and send her the EVIDENCE. Please ask her to remit that check promptly.

Jr is a lucky boy. Hopefully when he is in his teens when most would throw dad under a bus to get the car keys, he will see this post on some random Google.

I know when I announced I wanted to go to college, my dad retorted, "Good Luck!".

Now, is the S2000 on the chopping block too? Perhaps I should suggest that to the wifey....

*ducking back behind the sofa*
Nope, I own the S free and clear, and it is ridiculously cheap to operate. That one the little guy will get to drive when he is of age. My wife would love you....she thinks I should get rid of the S.....but only so she gets her space in the garage back.

This is what happens when I think out loud....

College I'm not worried about, we've had a college fund since before he was born. Probably won't be enough, though, the way college inflation is.

Sorry OP!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

that seems about right to me

I'm new to the forums here. I looked for an '05 to '08 RL for a couple of months. I recently purchased a CPO '05 with 11k miles on it for $21k. I'm very happy with the car so far. Looking forward to learning more about the 2nd generation RL from this site...
Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
bob would have kept his RL if he had a lip kit
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the input!

I was in the area and decided to stop by at the dealership. I noticed the front right corner of the bumper had some scrapes and the chrome piece needs to be replaced.

The interior was in excellent condition and I fell in love with it. However, because I did not make an appointment, I was unable to test drive the car. I was able to start the car and step on the gas. The car had nearly no gas and the salesman asked if I can stop by on Monday. I asked him that I'll wait upto 30 minutes while he gets some gas but he refused since he had other customers waiting. I thought this was unacceptable. I guess these guys aren't that hungry afterall. This is an Audi dealership so I guess the majority of their customers make an appointment.

I'm definetely not going back up there this week. Maybe I'll give them a call towards the end of the week to make an appointment.

One thing that I did not like was the screen's resolution. I guess I can live with that. But man, the car is full of gadgets!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lakeshore
I'm new to the forums here. I looked for an '05 to '08 RL for a couple of months. I recently purchased a CPO '05 with 11k miles on it for $21k. I'm very happy with the car so far. Looking forward to learning more about the 2nd generation RL from this site...
WOW! That is a great deal! I wish I can get a deal like that in my neck of the woods.