For those that have the AEM cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that have the AEM cold air intake

Do you know if the filter that comes with the AEM cold air intake is a DRYFLOW system?

Bob, are you familiar with the kind of CAI that we have? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

The AEM CAI for the TL is the one we use, and the one we use includes their Dryflow filter.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
What makes it dryflow? Does that mean it helps prevent hydro locking?
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I can verify that the filter is indeed a dryflow and is exactly the same as for the 3G TL.

The Dryflow system:
Originally Posted by AEM
AEM’s lifetime DRYFLOW Synthetic air filter is up to 99.52% efficient in FINE DUST testing, filters dirt as small as one micron, and never needs filter oil!
Source: http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=19
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

"Dryflow" isn't a hydrolock preventer, but an "alternative" to an oiled cotton filter, a' la' K&N or AEM's earlier product. Dryflow is a "dry" filter.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
got it, thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It hasn't even been 10k miles on my CAI yet. Maybe 8k. I guess I still have a few more years to go before cleaning the filter!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys. where did u guys purchase the aem cold air intake and what model?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The k&n is the best aftermarket filter for street use. The oil help trap a lot of particals you dont have to use AEM. And for most HP i use stanless steal mesh filter!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Is it a cold air intake? Do u just use the k&n filter replacements?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the AEM is a cold air intake. no idea if it really makes any power.. or just more noise.

the K&N drops ins go into the stock box. I've put K&N filters on past cars, and honestly, I don't think they do anything you can hear or feel. they are supposed to flow better.... but on a car like the RL, I doubt adding intake flow by a drop in filter is going to gain any power you can feel... maybe .. and it's *maybe* and ultra high rpms.. you might gain a tad bit of power...

sometimes when you add power in the top end, you lose it at the low end.... i know with some exhausts... you remove back pressure and gain some top end, but low end torque suffers....

you never get something for nothing...
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

do they just put the aem intake from the tl type s? i heard tht injen gives u a bit more power in high rpms. so im considering buying the injen
Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Drifting

i believe the AEM kit is just the TL one.... it fits. there might be some bracket you have to fabricate or something.. but from my memory of reading other threads, the TL intake kit fits.

Is the injen one a CAI? I wouldn't want a short ram intake with the filter just sitting under the hood, b/c then you're sucking in hot air.... the OEM intake may not flow as well as the AEM, but it is a cold air setup. the stock system is tuned more to be quiet.... but i am skeptical that any aftermarket system is going to do squat for horsepower.

Honda motors are tuned well out of the box, and absent adding nitrous or forced induction, you aren't going to see any real power gains from bolt ons. for the money it would cost to add intake, exhausts, pulleys, etc... and given the minuscule gains you get, it's a big waste of money.

suspension mods, on the other hand, totally different. you can drastically alter the handling characteristics of the car with shocks and springs - and that is where your money is well spent if you are going to mod this car.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

yea. it is a cold air intake. yea your probably right but my oem intake is broken. so im just gonna buy an after market cai. thxs btw for helpin me out. what mods did u do to ur acura?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
If you are going to have to replace the intake regardless, I would go with the CAI. You want to look for a 2007-2008 3.5L TL AEM CAI. It's a direct bolt on, and I believe it plugs in. There are many SRIs out there that will work, but like 23109 said, you will be drawing in hot air. You will not notice any power gains until you reach speed at the upper ends of your RPMs. As a result, you will tend to burn more gas hearing and feeling the SRI.

On the other hand, the SRI does not run the risk of hydro lock like the CAI does. The CAI will run down by the bottom of the wheel well. Drive into 6 inches of water and your engine is toast. With the SRI, you would have to submerge the entire hood almost to kill your car, and at that point you have plenty of electrical problems to worry about. Keep us posted with details if you find an intake. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

alright thxs. should i put the 07-08 tl type s cold air intake, because the tl type is uses the 3.5l as the same as my rl's engine?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Drifting

what is the consensus on whether the TL AEM intake makes ANY power you can really feel on our RLs???

I agree it looks and sounds wicked.... but does it actually make any power?? I recall 037 or Blazin.. one of the two.. said that they think they LOST power when they put it on!!! that makes me think that the time/hassle of buying it, installing it, and here in CA.. of NOT being able to pass smog with it.. is not worth it at all..

even though most AEM products are CA smog certified..they are only certified on the application they were tested on. so even though the TL kit fits our cars, it wasn't made for the TL.. it was made/tested/approved on a TL. so when you go to smog your RL in CA, and they see the intake.. and check the exemption database.. it's NOT there for an RL.. which means NO PASS. so ever two yeas you have have to install/uninstall. not impossible.. but a PITA. and if it makes no power... what's the point...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 AM
rtr
RL owner

More than anything its the air filter that changes hp ratings. If you take your car to tbe dyno and change air filters on the spot you will see what i mean. Shape and lenth of the pipe dont matter as much.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM
rtr
RL owner

I use the drop in k&n on the rl because the air box keeps the trottle smooth but gibes me a little more air flow for when Vtech comes on and you just clean it instead of buying another
Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 23109VC
what is the consensus on whether the TL AEM intake makes ANY power you can really feel on our RLs???

I agree it looks and sounds wicked.... but does it actually make any power?? I recall 037 or Blazin.. one of the two.. said that they think they LOST power when they put it on!!! that makes me think that the time/hassle of buying it, installing it, and here in CA.. of NOT being able to pass smog with it.. is not worth it at all..

even though most AEM products are CA smog certified..they are only certified on the application they were tested on. so even though the TL kit fits our cars, it wasn't made for the TL.. it was made/tested/approved on a TL. so when you go to smog your RL in CA, and they see the intake.. and check the exemption database.. it's NOT there for an RL.. which means NO PASS. so ever two yeas you have have to install/uninstall. not impossible.. but a PITA. and if it makes no power... what's the point...
037 had the Takeda SRI and claimed low end losses according to his butt dyno, and he thought it to be caused by the reasoning I gave above. At least two people here, Bob and another member, did pre and post-mod dynos. However, they both changed their exhaust to 5Zigen Fireball Mega along with the AEM CAI. The increase was 14 hp at the wheels for both cars. Bob did a writeup here with the plots: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=CAI+dyno.

I don't think the intake will affect emissions in any way, but if they are just looking to see certifications, it doesn't sound like they will pass you. No smog testing here so I wouldn't know for sure. If they hooked the tailpipe up to a machine, I don't know how it could change by changing the intake.

If I remember correctly, you do want the '07-'08 TL-S version.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

aight. thx for the help. thinkin bout the injen cai
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Good info giving there 007spy. Every since I installed my 5zigen fireball mega exhaust I also wanted to order the CAI V2 at same time but my sales guys told me I was wasting my money and in addition I will need to order a sensor to fit for the RL . I don't live in any flood zone area so I don't think I will have a issue.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Drifting

CA smog is stupid. the goal is to reduce emissions - but they do a visual inspection FIRST. If you have any components modified that could affect emissions - intake/exhaust - then you automatically FAIL and do not even get to the tailpipe/sniffer emissions test.

so even if the part you change, i.e. an intake, does NOT increase the emissions of the car... once they SEE it.. you fail.

many people who tune their cars in CA are forced to un-modify their cars every two years.. and some people resort to obtaining fraudulent smog certificates.... but if you want to follow the law - like me - it makes modding your car even more a pain the in the butt.

if the AEM intake alone, actually created a power gain, I'd be tempted to do it. it would not be that hard to swap in and out if you had to at smog time.. but if the gain is truly minimal, or something you can barely feel, it's just not worth it.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

I bet the exhaust accounts for 60% of the gain Bob showed, but that is just a guess. It could be very possible to take the air box and run the CAI pipe through it so that it still looked stock. Not sure if you want to mutilate your air box though. Just an idea.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 23109VC
CA smog is stupid. the goal is to reduce emissions - but they do a visual inspection FIRST. If you have any components modified that could affect emissions - intake/exhaust - then you automatically FAIL and do not even get to the tailpipe/sniffer emissions test.

so even if the part you change, i.e. an intake, does NOT increase the emissions of the car... once they SEE it.. you fail.

many people who tune their cars in CA are forced to un-modify their cars every two years.. and some people resort to obtaining fraudulent smog certificates.... but if you want to follow the law - like me - it makes modding your car even more a pain the in the butt.

if the AEM intake alone, actually created a power gain, I'd be tempted to do it. it would not be that hard to swap in and out if you had to at smog time.. but if the gain is truly minimal, or something you can barely feel, it's just not worth it.
Good point!!! One of the members here (eyi) ask this question on another thread since he wants to sell his oem exhaust. I hope he still has it or otherwise he will encounter a problem. Getting a fraudulent certificate wouldn't surprise me at all and I believe is stupid to FAIL your emission by just looking at your mod without giving at least warning but I guess is way of them collecting those emission fees. Hopefully I won't have any issue here in Maryland. I hardly doubt it.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
No issues in Maryland. ive gone to emissions catless. In and out in 5 minutes
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by L's TL
No issues in Maryland. ive gone to emissions catless. In and out in 5 minutes
Thank you for clarifying this for all the Marylanders out there and noobies like me.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Drifting

CA totally SUCKS for modified cars.

the smog laws here are NOT tuner friendly.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I always assumed your user name meant a zip code in VA and VC was Virginia Commonwealth. Turns out I was so close and so far away. It is a zip in VA, but I assume you were going for an exhibition of speed ticket in CA. Just a pointless realization I came to.

CA regulations suck. How much do you pay for your RL annual registration if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 AM
rtr
RL owner

Wow feel sorry for you guys down there in usa i can mod the hell out of my cars up here in CAD..
The following users liked this post:
ichi d (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^Just some states. TX only checks for functioning safety features, headlights, tailights, blinkers, tire tred, etc. For some reason the test the pressure capability of your gas cap. They don't even look under the hood or at an exhaust. It could probably go catless with no issue.

Some states, like Georgia, don't even have inspections.

Last edited by oo7spy; 09-08-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I always assumed your user name meant a zip code in VA and VC was Virginia Commonwealth. Turns out I was so close and so far away. It is a zip in VA, but I assume you were going for an exhibition of speed ticket in CA. Just a pointless realization I came to.

CA regulations suck. How much do you pay for your RL annual registration if you don't mind my asking?
No, never been in Virginia!

Yes, I live in CA, and my handle is the California Vehicle code section for exhibition of speed and a speed contest. I used to have a lead foot and I work within the "system"... so I thought it sort of fit... although as I've aged... and drive an RL.. I no longer feel the need to "exhibit" speed...

I forget what registration is here. mY wife does all the bills... prices for registration went up a lot in CA recently.. I want to say it was 200 or 300... I honestly forget.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know if this still matters, but my take on the CAI is that I lost a tangible amount of low end, but gained noticeable power toward the high end, and very noticeable power after the VTEC point.

Ironically, I would prefer the low end torque for the on-ramps and whatnot, because it's only so very rare that I uncork the RL on the freeway. Now, I did it the other day on a sweeping freeway-to-freeway ramp with great visibility... and she gets up and runs, that's for sure. BTW, ASPEC suspension pays for itself in those 120mph moments.

Now, back to my everyday, sedate driving with the cruise set to 80 in flow of traffic while I ponder over the 30mpg on the meter and listen to NPR.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys new here so.. I read everything but still confused. (new to forums) What exactly is it that I can replace on my RL regarding the intake airflow?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Drifting

ballinger-

I think on a lot of cars, when you mess with intake/exhaust.. if you gain power in one place you can lose it somewhere else.

i used to have a boxster, and I put on a free flow exhaust... just the muffler part... and it lost low end power, but gained it up top. i later swapped the OEM muffler back on, and immediately noticed the return of low end power...

sometimes it's nice to have the low end torque.... in day to day driving, it is more useful.... for flat out hauling a$$.. the top end is nice....

i honestly think for 90% of my driving though, more low end torque is better.... when i'm going to pass someone on the freeway.. i often give it partial throttle...and let the powe build.. rather than mash the gas and drop gears and get into VTEC wail.....

i'll bet it sounds good though... the intakes do sound sweet....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

In the case of the RL, one certainly sacrifices some low end in exchange for top end when installing a CAI. Ironically, I am a torque guy, and like a car with a lot of low end grunt (the RL is not), but I appreciate the MPG benefit at 80mph and have learned to appreciate that surprising "scalded cat" effect.

BTW, rather than simply mash it, I tend to paddle switch down and ease into it steadily. When the car ramps over the VTEC point, it's impressive.