Third Party Extended Warranty vs. Acura's Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Third Party Extended Warranty vs. Acura's Extended Warranty

Been calling a few dealerships today regarding some extended warranty packages. One dealer tried to push an 84month warranty from a subsiderary of Aon (Resource Automotive). Anyone have this or a similar third party warranty? Another person said I would only be elgible for 60 month/5 year from Honda/Acura. I find this hard to believe since the car has only 9.5k miles. I'm still waiting to here from a few of the online vendors posted on other threads...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer tried selling me an aftermarket extended warranty. 8 years, 120,000 miles ($50 deductible per occurrence unless it was at the particular selling dealer) for just under $2,000. I asked for a copy of the contract and while it looks pretty extensive, it doesn’t cover everything the AcuraCare warranty does, including some of the electronics, which is why I wanted the extended warranty in the first place. Also, with the aftermarket, most times I would have to get a repair pre-authorized, then pay for it and “apply” for reimbursement. A little internet research turned up a lot of complaints about claims being denied.

With the AcuraCare warranty, I don’t have to do anything but show up at any Acura dealer. There was zero deductible, and the cost at a different dealer (online but I did the deal over the phone) was about $500 less. A no brainier. Besides, Acura would be more interested in satisfying a (repeat) customer than an aftermarket insurance company.

The Honda/Acura offerings are dependent on the car’s year and mileage. I don’t belive I could have gotten the 8/120 with zero deductible if I had more than 6,000 miles on the car.

Regardless, I can’t see any reason not to go with AcuraCare.

LL
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'd go with Acuracare. Buy from Tim at www.hondacuraworld.com (site vendor) or from Curry Acura, which have the best prices. I'm in the process of buying one for the RL, but have to get a refund on the one I bought for the TL first.

EDIT: I failed to mention I bought my TL's Acuracare from Tim. Clears that right up, I hope!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I had a bad expereince with AAA bonded after market warranty company on a '97 Acura CL. Warranty Gold (in business for 35 yrs.) had to file BK because their contractor handling the payouts & fees misused the $$$ and had to liquidate which left WG without any monetary backing. Still being settled by the courts. I urge you to stay with Acura - more stable.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

I went through our sponsor hondacuraworld, and talked to Tim Poliniak who works for Ray Laks. He actually recommended I wait until the end of 2007 to purchase a 60 month/5 year warranty. He said that would be the BEST plan acuracare would offer for an '05 since I'm over 6k miles.

it's pointless to purchase it now. The cap is 30k, which means I need to purchase it before hitting 30k. If I did it now, cost would be around $1,475, but of course I lose a year if I do it now.

Tim was really honest and straight up on my options. He really didn't recommend the third party warranties due to some issues they have had (prior approval, certain things not covered, etc). If anyone is interested in talking to him, his direct number: 716-826-4200
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing. I guess great minds do think alike. Here I am thinking I got a deal with my GMAC extended warranty (2 years or 24,000 miles with $100 deductible). When I took the time to look over the fine print and other red tap I found out this garbage only covers MAJOR repairs.

The asshole that sold me the warranty said it was a great deal - if anything goes wrong with the car they'll fix it and all I'd have to do is just pay the deductible one time, and if anything else went wrong it would be free after paying the deductible. However, the GMAC warranty book named everything they don't cover in their warranty from the bird shit stain on the roof of the car all the way down to inconspicuous gravel stuck between the tread in the tires. So I deduced the only thing they would cover in the event of failure would be the engine or the transmission, that is, if the car wasn't abused.

when you think about it the extended warranty is WORTHLESS :shakehead :rippedoff

Since Acura has been class action lawsuited to death I have nothing to really worry about otherwise the extended warranty doesn't cover anything else on the car anyway. The good news is I have 60 days to return this son-of-a-bitch extended warranty and get my $2000 back.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Actually, when I think about it, the GMAC warranty may apply better to these broke down ass American cars that don't last more and a year after being purchased brand new. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I saw a Lumina or a Malibu or an Impala or a Camaro or a Mustang sitting on the side of the road with one of those orange stickers on the window the cops put on the car to let the owner know that garbage is going to get towed in 30 days if the car isn't claimed.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you go to acurahondaworld.com and select one of the RL's plans, it says "up to 6K miles" Does that mean that the cap to purchase one of those plans is 6k miles? How would the difference in cost be if you purchased the extended warrenty before and after 6k miles?

Originally Posted by synth19
I went through our sponsor hondacuraworld, and talked to Tim Poliniak who works for Ray Laks. He actually recommended I wait until the end of 2007 to purchase a 60 month/5 year warranty. He said that would be the BEST plan acuracare would offer for an '05 since I'm over 6k miles.

it's pointless to purchase it now. The cap is 30k, which means I need to purchase it before hitting 30k. If I did it now, cost would be around $1,475, but of course I lose a year if I do it now.

Tim was really honest and straight up on my options. He really didn't recommend the third party warranties due to some issues they have had (prior approval, certain things not covered, etc). If anyone is interested in talking to him, his direct number: 716-826-4200
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
just do a little spreadsheet using the various prices on the site. Then you can figure it out and see what is the best deal for you. If you drive 12K miles a year, you may never reach 7 years/100K miles, much less the 7/120 mark. You can then break it up by cost per day, or per mile or whatever suits you.

Years Miles driven per year (K)
1 12 15 18
2 24 30 36
3 36 45 54
4 48 60 72
5 60 75 90
6 72 90 108
7 84 105 126
8 96 120 144

2005 and up <6K Miles $0 Deduct
7/100 1135
7/120 1385
8/100 1335
8/120 1585
Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

the cap is 6k miles. Once you go past 6 years, then you the cost is higher and options (such as years/miles) are lower. Talk to Tim directly, the acurahondaworld site isn't that friendly when you deviate from the set parameters on the site. Keep in mind all of these extended warranties start the DAY YOU PURCHASE. The wise thing to do is to find the cap, and then purchase before it.

Originally Posted by UW RL
if you go to acurahondaworld.com and select one of the RL's plans, it says "up to 6K miles" Does that mean that the cap to purchase one of those plans is 6k miles? How would the difference in cost be if you purchased the extended warrenty before and after 6k miles?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

This is exactly why I would be very cautious when purchasing a non-acuracare warranty. I will DEFINITELY purchase only the acuracare policy when I approach 30k, or December '07 (whatever comes first).

Originally Posted by USURPER
Amazing. I guess great minds do think alike. Here I am thinking I got a deal with my GMAC extended warranty (2 years or 24,000 miles with $100 deductible). When I took the time to look over the fine print and other red tap I found out this garbage only covers MAJOR repairs.

The asshole that sold me the warranty said it was a great deal - if anything goes wrong with the car they'll fix it and all I'd have to do is just pay the deductible one time, and if anything else went wrong it would be free after paying the deductible. However, the GMAC warranty book named everything they don't cover in their warranty from the bird shit stain on the roof of the car all the way down to inconspicuous gravel stuck between the tread in the tires. So I deduced the only thing they would cover in the event of failure would be the engine or the transmission, that is, if the car wasn't abused.

when you think about it the extended warranty is WORTHLESS :shakehead :rippedoff

Since Acura has been class action lawsuited to death I have nothing to really worry about otherwise the extended warranty doesn't cover anything else on the car anyway. The good news is I have 60 days to return this son-of-a-bitch extended warranty and get my $2000 back.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

:Keep in mind all of these extended warranties start the DAY YOU PURCHASE.
I believe it starts the day the car is sold as new not when you purchase it for a car with less than 6,000 miles. If you buy it for a more used car, it starts at the time of purchase.

LL
Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
I believe it starts the day the car is sold as new not when you purchase it for a car with less than 6,000 miles. If you buy it for a more used car, it starts at the time of purchase.

LL

Here is the link to a FAQ from Honda. It is not the actual terms and conditions, however, which would be helpful.

http://www.hondafinancialservices.co...rvice_faqs.asp

When does coverage for service contracts begin?
Coverage for a new auto begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan begins on the service contract purchase date and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

I meant when you purchased it down the road, in my case, after 6k.

Originally Posted by lland

LL
Old 12-13-2006, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

Stay away from 3rd Party

I would steer clear of 3rd party extended warranties. I had several bad experiences with prior cars (Mercedes and a SAAB). The plans I had not only had a deductible, but had a cap on the hourly labor rate they would pay and were tough to deal with.

Bottom line, I usually only got reimbursed about 50% for the repairs.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Instructor

the cap is 6k miles. Once you go past 6 years, then you the cost is higher and options (such as years/miles) are lower. Talk to Tim directly, the acurahondaworld site isn't that friendly when you deviate from the set parameters on the site. Keep in mind all of these extended warranties start the DAY YOU PURCHASE. The wise thing to do is to find the cap, and then purchase before it.

Did you say the extended warranty starts the day you purchase the warranty or the car? For example I have owned the car for two months. If I purchase a 7 year 100k warranty today does that mean the warranty is valid for 7 years from today or 100k miles?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Burning Brakes

If your car has less than 6,000 miles the warranty begins as of the day you bought the car (a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty will expire 7 years or 100,000 miles from the in-service date - whichever comes first). If the car has more than 6,000 miles, the warranty starts from the point in time you purchase it (if you have 10,000 miles and buy a 48,000 mile warranty, it will expire when the car reaches 58,000 miles or the specified timeframe, whichever comes first).

LL