Is there a better luxury sport sedan out there for the money then the Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well my point is that someone that needs or wants more rear seat room doesn't necessarily mean they want an SUV or minivan, so they just can't consider an SUV or minivan as an option.

but i think that people perceive Acura's as "practical" because that's how they've always been designed and marketed. You can't sell something to someone "emotionally" if all you do is brag about how "practical" you are.

Again, think about how artsy-fartsy all the latest infiniti commercials have been. As capable and practical as the cars are, they only inject a little practical information into the commercials, the commercials themselves are heavily "emotional".

then compare that to the "Techno-worship" Acura commercials. Always bragging about what the car "can do".

If they want to appeal to emotion, then they have to stop bragging abuot what a car can do, and start bragging abuot how a car can "feel".

But getting back on topic...i'm glad the RL's such a poor seller since I'm convinced i'm getting a used one once my lease runs out. The value just can't be beat for a used RL!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
But getting back on topic...i'm glad the RL's such a poor seller since I'm convinced i'm getting a used one once my lease runs out. The value just can't be beat for a used RL!
Too bad your lease didn't run out earlier in the fall, you could've gotten a good deal on a NEW one. It's all good, though.

By the way, I like the "techo-worship" ads, but then again I'm a geek and not the typical person Acura needs to sell to.

Maybe we should make up some RL ads for Acura and submit our user ideas. Just thinking the way we Mac users used to think in the doldrums of the mid-90's.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't want a new one. I knew about the deals before deciding on getting the M. The value was good but I wasn't shopping for value at that point. BUt if $42k for a $50k is value, a lightly used one in mid to low 30's is an even bigger value. And if I do decide to get a new one with all the optinos, I'm sure I'll still be able to get low $40's for a new model, even in '08.

as for your ad idea, i don't think that would fly...considering how "conservative" and "tradiational" Honda is, I doubt they'd forget about the millions they spent on marketing for a free amateur ad...that would be admitting that they "wasted" millions on the wrong marketing campaign which they would never do.