100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

stoptech rotors or aem intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stoptech rotors or aem intake?

hey guys i got an extra $400. to spend on something for my RL and i can't decide whether to get the aem intake ($329) from sam or the stoptech slotted rotors with stainless steel lines($465) from josh. what would you guys get?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I'd go with the Intake. Why - because I would opt for more performance if any and my opinion is that I would not get a whole lot from just replacing rotors. They do look cool, don't get me wrong, but I would probably replace the calipers as well, if and when, I do anything to the brakes. I only say if because I think that the OEM setup for the RL is top notch...

Again, please just take this for what it's worth and nothing else. I don't want our sponsors and friends to think that I am picking favorites...

And as always, YMMV.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
What he said
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by Roy Cya
I'd go with the Intake. Why - because I would opt for more performance if any and my opinion is that I would not get a whole lot from just replacing rotors. They do look cool, don't get me wrong, but I would probably replace the calipers as well, if and when, I do anything to the brakes. I only say if because I think that the OEM setup for the RL is top notch...

Again, please just take this for what it's worth and nothing else. I don't want our sponsors and friends to think that I am picking favorites...

And as always, YMMV.

i do agree with you, but imo intakes majority of the time increases top end power and not so much low-end..and i hardly drive my RL hard..so i rarely go above 3-4k rpm so in that sense would the intake still provide any real benefits?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Which is why I never did it. I feel I need the low end torque. I rarely get into the VTEC because of the traffic and cops around here.

What about a UR Crank Pulley? About $220, plus belt and installation, so should be about $400.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by fredren
i do agree with you, but imo intakes majority of the time increases top end power and not so much low-end..and i hardly drive my RL hard..so i rarely go above 3-4k rpm so in that sense would the intake still provide any real benefits?
Yes. My research (search "dyno" and "neuronbob" to find the link) indicates a bump in power. The bump is most noticeable at the high end but there is a modest low-end benefit. I'd do the intake before the rotors. The RL's big, beefy brakes are pretty darn good stock.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by Chas2
Which is why I never did it. I feel I need the low end torque. I rarely get into the VTEC because of the traffic and cops around here.

What about a UR Crank Pulley? About $220, plus belt and installation, so should be about $400.
i already have that installed.. i got the pulley for $200 plus $75 for installation
Old 08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake for sure.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

i already have that installed.. i got the pulley for $200 plus $75 for installation
I am very interested in this. What effect did it have on the car, especially on the low end, time to spool up, etc.?
Can you describe differences? Is it a real seat of the pants difference or hard to perceive.
Did you Dyno differences?

I have heard and read various comments on opposite ends of the spectrum. From people who sell it, say its a great thing, and cheapest bump in HP available. Others who have modded their own cars, some extensively, but have not put in the pulley say it is a waste of time, and the effect is negligible. These are Toyota Supra, Subie an BMW owners who do the whole turbo, intake, exhaust thing, so negligible may be relative based on what they were doing...
Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by Chas2
I am very interested in this. What effect did it have on the car, especially on the low end, time to spool up, etc.?
Can you describe differences? Is it a real seat of the pants difference or hard to perceive.
Did you Dyno differences?

I have heard and read various comments on opposite ends of the spectrum. From people who sell it, say its a great thing, and cheapest bump in HP available. Others who have modded their own cars, some extensively, but have not put in the pulley say it is a waste of time, and the effect is negligible. These are Toyota Supra, Subie an BMW owners who do the whole turbo, intake, exhaust thing, so negligible may be relative based on what they were doing...

i noticed the difference, imo it wasnt an omg wow difference, but the car is more responsive and rev's quicker, i would say for the price you can't go wrong..it's the cheapest performance mod for the RL i believe.. also there are 2 pulleys available..the underdrive and stock version..you really only need the stock one if your doing a 600+watt system or S/c ..i'm doing a small 450 watt system so i opted for the underdrive verison and upgraded to a optima yellow top along with apexi super grounding kit. long story short..i would recommend it..try UR directly or call up Sam @ visonary racing or even try Josh from excelerate.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
unofficial HONDA rep

and guys i should of mentioned the only reason i was leaning towards the rotors is because Josh has them for a very good price right now
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
and guys i should of mentioned the only reason i was leaning towards the rotors is because Josh has them for a very good price right now
How about this, buy the rotors and set them aside, when it's time for new brakes, put em on.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by csmeance
How about this, buy the rotors and set them aside, when it's time for new brakes, put em on.
makes sense, i have the ebc brake pads already..i'm just wondering if the stoptech rotors are of the same quality as the oem ones, cause @ 25k the oem rotors are still very spiffy..no shaking of any kind.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
makes sense, i have the ebc brake pads already..i'm just wondering if the stoptech rotors are of the same quality as the oem ones, cause @ 25k the oem rotors are still very spiffy..no shaking of any kind.
how much wear do you have on your pads?

IF it's time to replace soon, I would stick with the OEM rotors since your rotors are fine.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by csmeance
how much wear do you have on your pads?

IF it's time to replace soon, I would stick with the OEM rotors since your rotors are fine.
i don't go by the pads, i go by impulse and if i feel it's low i change regardless of pad life, but i would like the opinion of guys who changed over to stainless steel brake lines..do you guys feel the difference? i'm getting the technafit brake lines for $90. is it worth it?