Steering knocking or pulsing sensation during low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering knocking or pulsing sensation during low RPM

Here is another issue I'm trying to get Acura to fix. When my 2005 RL crusing around 40MPH, or under 2000 RPM. When I turn the steering wheel to the left and right a few times, I noticed an knocking or pulse sensation on the steering wheel. I point this out to the dealer, and the mechanic acknowledged it exist, but they claim this is common on all RL with SH. The steering does not feel smooth as expected on a 50K car.

When the dealer gave me a 2007 MDX loaner with the SH, it has a simular feel on the steering wheel. Wonder this is a common issue with the SH. Do anyone else noticed this on their RL?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't experience this.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I don't experience this. Further, the two RLs I test drove in September prior to my purchase didn't have this feature.

I'm not convinced this is normal behavior. Did they provide an explanation other than "it's normal"?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have had no such problem. the steering is just fine. I notice from you other post you had problems with salt on your windshield no one else seems to have. Perhaps you got a lemon?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Instructor

no problem like that here either
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
9th Gear

Most of the issues I encountered was due to the first year release of 2005 RL. Problems like door handle lock/unlock sensor, rattleing front panel, windshield wiper. Many little issues. The dealer take the info I reported (I'm sure others have reported them as well), but it takes Acura a long time to acknowledge all these problems. Like the new designed windshield wiper arm they will be installing next week. Over time, the dealer do take care of the reported issues, its just a pain to keep go after the dealer. But this is the only way to get their attention and resolve the issue.

The strange thing with this steering issue, I notice the same feel on the 2007 MDX loaner. The dealer's mechanic think it may have something to do with the SH design. I dont think they known for sure what the problem is yet.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by szemsg@gmail.com
Here is another issue I'm trying to get Acura to fix. When my 2005 RL crusing around 40MPH, or under 2000 RPM. When I turn the steering wheel to the left and right a few times, I noticed an knocking or pulse sensation on the steering wheel. I point this out to the dealer, and the mechanic acknowledged it exist, but they claim this is common on all RL with SH. The steering does not feel smooth as expected on a 50K car.

When the dealer gave me a 2007 MDX loaner with the SH, it has a simular feel on the steering wheel. Wonder this is a common issue with the SH. Do anyone else noticed this on their RL?
Is this the same as the shudder at 1500 rpm issue?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=shudder+1500
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced

I feel a knocking in my 05 RL especially when turning or going over bumps. It is significantly more pronounced at lower speeds (10mph or so)

Originally Posted by szemsg@gmail.com

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 AM
9th Gear

Note that I noticed more of the knocking on the steering wheel during low RPM (< 2000). If I rock the steering wheel left and right, I notice a knocking or pulsing sensation on the steering wheel, and it is not smooth as expected with a high end car. I did not notice this issue with the TL, only on the RL and MDX. Note that the TL does not have the SH option.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

What is the difference between a knock and a shudder? To me a knock is sharp rap, perhaps a series of raps, but not a consistent vibration, and not necessarily of a steady

Many report a definite shudder, which I would define as a consistent high frequency vibration, most noticeable at 1500-1800 rpm in 5th, but also in 4th, I have not really tried to find it in lower gears. The shudder is most noticeable through the steering wheel, but you can also feel it through the seat of your pants. It is always reproducible in my 2006 RL, most noticeable on smooth road. I have not yet addressed it with the dealer as I am waiting for my first oil change to go in and do that.

Anyway, curious to see if my shudder is that the same as the knocking you report?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM
9th Gear

I only feeling this virbration on the steering wheel, not on my seat, and noticed more when I steer or rock the wheel. I'll paid more attention to it to see if my car has a simular problem to what you have experienced on smooth road at low RPM.

I have the dealer mechanic test drive the car, and he somewhat ackowledged what I felt on the steering wheel. But he does not appear certain on what caused it. He said it could be the Power Assist Steering, SH and the computer not working in-sync. As I mentioned earlier, I felt the simular issue on the 2007 MDX. Did you ever have your dealer service dept test drive your car?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

No I have not taken it in yet, because it does not bother me that much, since most folks seem to have the same problem. I think it is probably some undamped resonance characteristic of SH-AWD design as currently implemented. I am down to between 10-20% oil life, and I will mention it on my first service, but don't expect much out of them.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Mine is not a repeatable thing, but first thing in the morning, when I turn out of my driveway, I get a single slight thunk I feel through the steering wheel. It doesn't do it the next time I turn couple of minutes later, nor as the day goes on. Just once.

I think I vaguely recall someone else reporting this strange phenomenon.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Mine is not a repeatable thing, but first thing in the morning, when I turn out of my driveway, I get a single slight thunk I feel through the steering wheel. It doesn't do it the next time I turn couple of minutes later, nor as the day goes on. Just once.

I think I vaguely recall someone else reporting this strange phenomenon.

Mike, perhaps the condition you are describing in the ABS system check? If it only happens on first drive off. I have noticed it much less than the TLs system, which was felt and heard. The RLs seems much more discreet, and I rarely notice it. But the few times I did notice, was after backing out of the driveway, cutting the wheel and shifting into drive. Other than that, it does not occur at any other time.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Mike, perhaps the condition you are describing in the ABS system check? If it only happens on first drive off. I have noticed it much less than the TLs system, which was felt and heard. The RLs seems much more discreet, and I rarely notice it. But the few times I did notice, was after backing out of the driveway, cutting the wheel and shifting into drive. Other than that, it does not occur at any other time.
I guess that could be it, Tamp. I don't notice any in the TL, but they're different cars.

Frankly, I suspected something in the SH-AWD system.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chas2
What is the difference between a knock and a shudder? To me a knock is sharp rap, perhaps a series of raps, but not a consistent vibration, and not necessarily of a steady

Many report a definite shudder, which I would define as a consistent high frequency vibration, most noticeable at 1500-1800 rpm in 5th, but also in 4th, I have not really tried to find it in lower gears. The shudder is most noticeable through the steering wheel, but you can also feel it through the seat of your pants. It is always reproducible in my 2006 RL, most noticeable on smooth road. I have not yet addressed it with the dealer as I am waiting for my first oil change to go in and do that.

Anyway, curious to see if my shudder is that the same as the knocking you report?
I too feel that shudder, though slight, at 70 mph or so. I also can feel it in the seat,,,it is not annoying, but I feel it ever so slightly. Especially on a smooth roadway.

I have thought it might be related to drive train?

Other than that, this car seems solid!

2006 RL with 7,000 miles