Spoke with the Acura Region Sales Rep today

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke with the Acura Region Sales Rep today

I spoke with the region Acura sales rep today, lots of great info, here is some of it.

Only feeling I got from him is PROBABLY not a v-8 in the RL, this is my my read on him, they cannot tell or do not know. They keep them in the dark quite often, he gave me details. It WILL be bigger though.

Our forums are definitely watched by Torrence Ca. Honda/Acura

Honda/ Acura "tries to do the right thing for customers when it comes to service".

Fuel cell is the way Honda seems to be going, not batteries.

He was a great guy, so I do not want to say anything that might be taken wrong by Honda and get him in trouble.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
anything else???
Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Interesting, I guess.

I'm beginning to think I'm going to wait to see what they do with the RL this coming spring/summer, but if no V-8, I'm STRONGLY leaning toward an LS460. Great size, 380hp V-8, excellent mileage, superb ride, Lexus quality and service, more bells and whistles than the RL. What's not to like?

More expensive, sure, but I'm going back to one car and I'll just throw both the RL and the MDX at it and still have a lower overall monthly outlay. One factor in my thinking is that a reworked V-8 RL might run $58-60k, and for that kind of money I'm ready to go up to the first class cabin.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Oh, we know these forums are watched by Honda Co. Best example is that many changes "suggested" in the 2G TL forum made it into the 3G TL (A-Spec, styling, certain interior features, etc.).

As far as V8 vs no V8 option...I know I've recently jumped on that bandwagon, but I suppose that would be making Honda/Acura into something it's not and would jack up its best-in-industry CAFE average. We won't know for sure until next year what sort of powerplant we're looking at, but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see a V8, my poll notwithstanding. I am hoping that we at least get a V6 with more low-end torque than what we've got.

I'm definitely NOT a Lexus LS 460-type of customer, Mike, more of a BMW 5-series-type of customer. I need a nimbler handler than the big Lex. Here's hoping Acura can satisfy both of us. If a reworked V8 RL was $58-60k, that's acceptable to me. Knowing Acura, they'll likely not price it that high given the current RL experience.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Pro

He did mention other things but since these are watched I do not want to get him in trouble, even though he told me nothing that should be a problem.
He did talk about how super the SH_AWD is , he says on some on ramps the car can handle so well that you will lift before you have to, your brain will not let you go that fast. I know exactly what he states, we both have taken the same circular on ramp, it is scary fast, the car just digs in, don't know what happens at the limit, supposedly the car will keep you safe.
He admits that the RL is the best kept secret out there, we did not get into marketing methods.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
He did mention other things but since these are watched I do not want to get him in trouble, even though he told me nothing that should be a problem.
He did talk about how super the SH_AWD is , he says on some on ramps the car can handle so well that you will lift before you have to, your brain will not let you go that fast. I know exactly what he states, we both have taken the same circular on ramp, it is scary fast, the car just digs in, don't know what happens at the limit, supposedly the car will keep you safe.
He admits that the RL is the best kept secret out there, we did not get into marketing methods.
+1 on the SH-AWD, I just can't get myself to push this awesome car to the limit. It has unbelievable traction in turns and in the twisties. It has saved my bacon a number of times in crazy L.A. traffic with its inhumanly great handling. (I get a kick out of the Lexus radio spots where that charming elderly gent talks about all the safety features of the massively-overpriced flagship Toyotas. Uhhh, yeah. Lets' see. Adaptable headlights, check. Collision-mitigation braking, check. Lots of other relatively mundane stuff that every Acura has, check. SH-AWD, oops.)

+1 on the best-kept secret! From the driver's seat of our Odyssey, I had just commented to my wife today at mile 1,400 of our long road trip that we had seen zero RLs so far. Then not 10 minutes later, a 2007 black beauty (no sharkfin) slid by in the passing lane. The sight of another RL never fails to take my breath away! Acura marketers, take note...you've got a great product especially at street price, you just don't have a compelling brand image. For the umpteenth time...
Old 11-24-2007, 07:46 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have pushed my car beyond the normal limits and I am amazed by the how well it hugs the road while powering through a turn...that being said, I went fast through a turn at about 70 mph and lost adheasion due to a bump in the road...it was a little scary..i still take my turns fast but now within limits
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It is a sweet handling car for its luxury market presence. I have the A-Spec with 19" wheels and what a difference that combination makes. However, it still retains its quiet and smooth ride. I have a twisty stretch of road to negotiate on my way home and I always enjoy the fact that I can toss this car around those turns much like I did my previous 735i and my TL A-Spec. I love this car, but depending on what the future holds for it, I might look into the Audi S5 or A6.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Regarding the previous several posts: have I mentioned today that I think SH-AWD is the shiznit?

Whatever Acura does with the RL, they'd best not mess with SH-AWD except to make it lighter. I don't think the RL needs RWD at all, just make the car FWD with SH-AWD as an option. As Treblig says above, that in combination with A-Spec and good rubber makes for fantastic handling....mere mortals like myself can drive like race car drivers in the turns and get away with it. OK, maybe that's hyperbole, but it's not far from the truth.

As I keep saying, Acura needs to market that ability better.

@ Treblig: if Acura FUBARs the next RL, I'm keeping my current car for longer and my next car will either be the 4G TL, or I'll move on to BMW and just pony up the bucks for a 5-series, likely a 545i.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VOdoc
+1 on the best-kept secret! From the driver's seat of our Odyssey, I had just commented to my wife today at mile 1,400 of our long road trip that we had seen zero RLs so far. Then not 10 minutes later, a 2007 black beauty (no sharkfin) slid by in the passing lane. The sight of another RL never fails to take my breath away! Acura marketers, take note...you've got a great product especially at street price, you just don't have a compelling brand image. For the umpteenth time...
Over here down-under I am finally starting to see an occasional Legend on the road. And seen from that perspective they really are an imposing design, something you don't fully appreciate when walking around a staionary example.

To my [predjucued] eye, it is a tightly drawn, athletic look that hunkers down on it's haunches like a big cat ready to pounce!

And as most posters here have alluded to, it can really boogy I don't condone trying too hard on public roads, but on the track with VSA engaged it is really impossible to get out of shape [baring unsettling bumps of course]. Once the drift angle increases past a certain point, you can feel the power loss to the wheels as the computer puts a stop to the fun and games.

But of course, if you enter too fast, or a bump unsettles the car, you need to know what your doing

I am of the firm opinion that if you get into trouble in this car, you have been a very naughty boy.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

I'm definitely NOT a Lexus LS 460-type of customer, Mike, more of a BMW 5-series-type of customer. I need a nimbler handler than the big Lex. Here's hoping Acura can satisfy both of us. If a reworked V8 RL was $58-60k, that's acceptable to me. Knowing Acura, they'll likely not price it that high given the current RL experience.
That's understandable, Bob. I've owned 2 Lexus LS's in the past, as well as a Bimmer 740i and 3 different 540i's. The 5's were sweet cars.

But as bad as it hurts to admit it, I've gotten to where "sport" is FAR less important to me than a comfortable ride and long legs. I still want lots of go-power, but lumpy ride quality annoys me, and I honestly have no interest in seeing how fast I can screech around mountain curves or freeway onramps anymore. Give me the open highway with no cops around and turn me loose.

If the V-8 RL cost close to $60k, and wasn't the equal of the LS in performance, room. amenities and ride quality, I'd probably pony up the extra dough and go Lexus.

BTW - I wrung the LS out pretty well at the Taste of Lexus a few weeks ago, and it handles better than I can drive it! And that thing flat hauls ass.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

To me....if you take the RL, update the looks...increase HP & torque...and 3" rear seat room...add a speed...total integrate ipod...panaramic roof...soften the ride a little...cooled seats..improve subwoofer

now you have a car to take on the LS, 7 series, and MB's upscales. Then you have to decide if you want to sell the upgrade rear technologies that these cars have
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
To me....if you take the RL, update the looks...increase HP & torque...and 3" rear seat room...add a speed...total integrate ipod...panaramic roof...soften the ride a little...cooled seats..improve subwoofer

now you have a car to take on the LS, 7 series, and MB's upscales. Then you have to decide if you want to sell the upgrade rear technologies that these cars have
Acura is planning on going to the very high end in the years to come, high end lux sport, looks like the 10 cylinder is planned at this time, 2-3 years out it looks like.

Acura is going world wide, I think next year, starting with Europe.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Only feeling I got from him is PROBABLY not a v-8 in the RL, this is my my read on him, they cannot tell or do not know. They keep them in the dark quite often, he gave me details. It WILL be bigger though.

Considering Honda's past and the fact that 6's are chosed the vast majority of the time from the competition that offers an 8, the lack of one in the RL wouldn't surprise (or bother) me...as long as the performance is there. Personally, I have no issues with a 6.

Our forums are definitely watched by Torrence Ca. Honda/Acura

It would be real nice if they participated. They have what is probably their best, most loyal base here. We could both learn from ech other.

Honda/ Acura "tries to do the right thing for customers when it comes to service".

My experience has been exactly that.

Fuel cell is the way Honda seems to be going, not batteries.

Cool. Hope it's sooner rather than later. I'd certainly consider one. Where, however, am I going to fuel up on hydrogen? Hybrids are relativey well established and don't require significant infrastructure changes.

He was a great guy, so I do not want to say anything that might be taken wrong by Honda and get him in trouble.

We appreciate everything we hear, even if we don't hear everything. Thanks.

LL
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Pro

Go to Honda.com and read all about the FCX Clarity and the solar panels, total home system, fuel cells, etc.. Some real insight into the future IMO.
The FCX is now being leased in parts of Cal where there are service techs and filling stations.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I think it would sell for 100k at least. Hardly a mass market car right now but cool anyway.

Go to Honda.com and read all about the FCX Clarity and the solar panels, total home system, fuel cells, etc.. Some real insight into the future IMO.
The FCX is now being leased in parts of Cal where there are service techs and filling stations.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am shopping for a new 2008 MDX (replace my wife's 04 TL) and went to a local dealer today. The young salesman mentioned the V8 RL is coming and its like no big deal. He asked me about the car since I have one. He said the biggest gripe for them has been its too small and they hope that the new car is bigger than the current and with nicer sheet metal.

For what its worth: He also said it looks like Acura might be going the route of Lexus as in maxing out the cars with tech and features and charging $3 to $5K less to flood the market with vehicle. He thinks this will happen with the RL and then follow with the new TSX, while the TL and MDX have the buyer following.

BTW, This dealer gave me invoice on a MDX Tech&Entertainment, but he hosed me on the trade-in so its the classic bait-n-switch...and I said I'll get back to you...
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by static808
I am shopping for a new 2008 MDX (replace my wife's 04 TL) and went to a local dealer today. The young salesman mentioned the V8 RL is coming and its like no big deal. He asked me about the car since I have one. He said the biggest gripe for them has been its too small and they hope that the new car is bigger than the current and with nicer sheet metal.

For what its worth: He also said it looks like Acura might be going the route of Lexus as in maxing out the cars with tech and features and charging $3 to $5K less to flood the market with vehicle. He thinks this will happen with the RL and then follow with the new TSX, while the TL and MDX have the buyer following.

BTW, This dealer gave me invoice on a MDX Tech&Entertainment, but he hosed me on the trade-in so its the classic bait-n-switch...and I said I'll get back to you...
On a trade in, I am told the best you will ALWAYS do (99% of the time) is auction price, the rest is just shuffling the money around. Like if you went for an RL at $50k, you might get $10k more on your trade in, but really still getting auction price, because you could get the RL for $40K.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
On a trade in, I am told the best you will ALWAYS do (99% of the time) is auction price, the rest is just shuffling the money around. Like if you went for an RL at $50k, you might get $10k more on your trade in, but really still getting auction price, because you could get the RL for $40K.
Exactly!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

I like the idea of Acura giving us a loaded RL for less money. The downside of course is when I trade next year my '06 will be worth $5-6K less than today.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I love it when people realize they can't burn the candle at both ends.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

It's about time Acura is looking for "conquest" sales. However, still don't know if a loaded RL for $45K will get that many buyers into the showroom from Lexus, BMW, and Cadillac owners.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback, Quick update on my MDX quest. I went back to the first Acura dealer I talked to for the MDX and got the trade-in value I wanted. I called a buddy in NYC who got me a 04 TL auction price number which was $1100 more than the other dealer provided yesterday. I used that number and haggled to get invoice on a 2008 MDX-Tech/Ent with pinstripe thrown in but had to pay for side molding. I think I got a fair shake all-in-all.

You never really win on a trade-in, just walk away with a compromise...The TL is a great car but I got my first child on the way in March and figured get the MDX now before I get too frugal when buying diapers at Costco

This site is amazing and I appreciate the help you guys provide!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
B A N N E D

I'm thinking about the same move, myself...thanks for the input!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Advanced

I would love to see a 3.5L diesel in the new RL. The BMW equivalent of this engine makes nearly 500 ft*lbs of torque and the gas mileage would be excellent too.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fstshrk
I would love to see a 3.5L diesel in the new RL. The BMW equivalent of this engine makes nearly 500 ft*lbs of torque and the gas mileage would be excellent too.
I believe they only have a 4 cylinder at this time.
Go to Honda uk, you can read about their new diesel.