Something kinda interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
How did Lexus become Lexus? Did people just see the big gold "L" and think "oooo...that sure is luxurious!"? Heck no...Lexuses used to be looked upon simply as glorified Toyotas, and they still struggle to win over the European loyalists (let alone some of their own customers). Further, Lexus is still not as prestigious as a BMW or Mercedes-Benz. They are still one step behind, in that most people view BMWs or Mercedes as more exclusive (how many people do you know that have a Lexus on their dream car list?).

People dream about the Acura NSX though.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Undercover Slacker

headersplus, we're talking about the same one (cush acura in kearny mesa?)...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dalieu
headersplus, we're talking about the same one (cush acura in kearny mesa?)...
Yep - that's the one. Bought my '01 CLS from them & got my RL there in july.

They always give me loaners when i have to drop my car off. Never had a TL loaner, though. Want to compare the rides...
Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Acura can't really do much about their advertising budget, Toyota is a much bigger company than Honda. I saw a graph comparing Toyota to the next Japanese automaker, Nissan, and the difference between the #1 company and the #2 company was staggering, whereas the subsequent differences between #2 and #3 were not as significant, and so on.

But I do notice Acura doesn't seem to advertise their luxury quotient too well. If you go to the auto shows, the RL they have on display doesn't include the wood steering wheel and the wood shift knob - two relatively minor accessories that IMO really make the interior seem more luxurious. And the magazine ads showing the interior is the same issue...you only see the plain RL's interior. Now compare it with Lexus. The wood steering wheel in the GS is also optional. you go to the auto show and you will see the GS decked out in the top of the line trim. People walk away more impressed with that interior than the RL's more plain looking interior.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
Having just bought an RL to replace my Lexus LS400, I can tell you that I will sorely miss the "LEXUS EXPERIENCE". Big time. I already have issues with follow-up. And being able to bring my car to the local Lexus dealer, on a Saturday (no weekend Acura hours) for an oil change or service, have a good cup of Joe at their free Espresso bar, watch the hi-def TV in the lounge or read the paper...Oh man I will miss that!!!! I drove the new 2006 IS250 AWD (slow/cramped/overpriced) and all it did was make me realize what a great value the RL is. Didn't drive the 2006 GS300 AWD though....
Again the whole Lexus Experience is the sum of the parts, not just the quality of an ad, etc.
Showroom presentation and quality, overall service, staff quality, RELIABILITY, warranty, events (like the one they had in Summer 2004 where you got to drive the competing vehicles for each Lexus model through a road course, gourmet travel/food/golf tips/etc), monthly mag, etc.
I haven't had to deal with anything other than standard maintenance on my Lexus - another reason I would buy another in a heart beat! All of these issues I reading about with the new RL has got me a bit spooked!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motown, which lexus dealer did you go to when you had your LS? Meade - Southfield? Ann Arbor?