Something kinda interesting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Something kinda interesting.

I was watching a TV show called Nip/Tuck last night (yes, I watch Nip/Tuck, although I am loathe to admit it in public). The show had many commercials from Lexus. In addition one of the principal characters (plastic surgeon Sean McNamara) was driving the new Lexus GS.

This was interesting to me because there are 3 Japanese sedans that compete with each other: Lexus GS, Infiniti M, and the Acura RL. In every article I've read that compares the three cars, the GS has never won. In fact, it tends to be rated last place out of the three (although not all the time). However, the GS tends to be first place out of the three when it comes to sales.

The product placement and blanket advertising on Nip/Tuck was interesting to me because it is one of the reasons why Lexus is the most popular luxury car brand in the USA. Toyota has lots of money to throw into advertising (including product placements) that Honda simply does not have. So sales of a particular car are not simply an indicator of that car's quality; it is an indicator of several factors, including advertising budgets. So, as people on other web sites crow on and on about the RL's "disappointing" sales and blame it solely on the car, I would say that the new RL isn't a bad car, it simply doesn't get the free advertising of winning comparisons in car enthusiast magazines like the M does nor does it have the Toyota/Lexus marketing behemoth behind it. That's interesting, but also a bit of a shame.

What do you all think?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have had sporadic discussions about the lack of advertising on Hondas part - and I think with a real marketing department that is funded, the RL sales would skyrocket. It competes VERY well with the competition but people just don't know about the RL.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

The funny part about is that Acura's sole purpose should be marketing! Acura does no manufacturing, no engineering, no designing. All that is Honda's job. The Acura division is strictly for marketing certain cars in North America, but they don't seem to be all that effective with the RL. I am seeing more print advertising, but I would really like to see more events sponsored the way Lexus and Scion (both Toyota) do. And I would like to see some product placements, since it seems to me that it would be more effective than actual television ads.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Status plays a huge part on what people are going to buy. For whatever reasons Lexus is a high status luxury brand and Acura is not. Lexus seems to have a much better service/customer satisfaction than Acura. This is why they can sell more cars even when the cars are more expensive and a lesser value than the RL.

Only smart and educated people who don't care too much about status buy the RL . . .
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Status plays a huge part on what people are going to buy. For whatever reasons Lexus is a high status luxury brand and Acura is not. Lexus seems to have a much better service/customer satisfaction than Acura. This is why they can sell more cars even when the cars are more expensive and a lesser value than the RL.

Only smart and educated people who don't care too much about status buy the RL . . .
True. Lexus has worked very hard over the last 15 years to build that brand status. If I were Honda, I would steal some Lexus marketing folks from Toyota and give them carte blanche to build the Acura brand. Acura's doing very well with the TSX, TL and MDX, but the larger margins are in the more upscale cars, I think.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Acura really needs to step up the marketing efforts. One of the huge problems that the Acura brand in general has always had was that their marketing department never could quite match that of any other luxury brand. In fact, if you just count the number of Lexus commercials compared to Acura commercials, the numbers are skewed very substantially against Acura.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Advanced

There's a reason why consumer reports said almost 1/2 of the most reliable vehicles come from toyota/lexus, and I don't think it's because Toyota had a larger marketing budget.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 AM
office monkey

While marketing is obviously one of the reasons, the other is the fact Lexus has made superior cars to Acuras since they both came to North America. Anyone who truly thinks a past Acura model was on par with Lexus offerings then well, I have no idea what to say to that other than I think it's crazy.

The current gen TL and RL are good improvements for Acura and approach Lexus quality however they dont surpass Lexus cars. Take the new IS...while I think the TL is built well and has good materials the new IS surpasses it. The RL does come close to matching the LS430 but still is slightly behind.

Then of course is the whole reliability factor. Lexus has proven to be the top brand in this area.

BTW I like Nip/Tuck...well, the first season at least since I havent seen seson 2 or 3.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Advanced

jhr3uva90, you pose a thought provoking question.

In the mid 1930’s, a legend in American advertising placed his credo on the company letterhead. It read, “THE TRUTH WELL TOLD.” That agency not only presented clear interesting facts about the product advertised but did it in a unique way that set the product apart from its competitors. Its advertising, augmented by sweeping marketing, reached a broad market and in the process, enticed prospective buyers to choose that product instead of another.

Acura does none of these things. Its advertising does not approach the scope of its competitors. Acura’s marketing practice is shallow and its advertising, pedestrian.

Spending dollars alone is not the answer. It is how dollars are spent that results in success.

We, the owners of fine Acura automobiles KNOW the quality and attributes of our cars. However, most people think that Acura is of the Honda line one step above the Accord. They do not consider Acura in the same light as Lexus, Infiniti or the four major German cars. This shows the dismal job of advertising and PR that Acura does.

If I were the person charged with changing things, I would invite presentations from a number of top advertising agencies telling them to present their concept in creative and marketing that will bring about greatly increased name recognition for Acura and of course, a significant jump in sales.

Once the ad agency was chosen, I would spend the money!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX

Having just bought an RL to replace my Lexus LS400, I can tell you that I will sorely miss the "LEXUS EXPERIENCE". Big time. I already have issues with follow-up. And being able to bring my car to the local Lexus dealer, on a Saturday (no weekend Acura hours) for an oil change or service, have a good cup of Joe at their free Espresso bar, watch the hi-def TV in the lounge or read the paper...Oh man I will miss that!!!! I drove the new 2006 IS250 AWD (slow/cramped/overpriced) and all it did was make me realize what a great value the RL is. Didn't drive the 2006 GS300 AWD though....
Old 12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Motown:
I change my own oil in my garage, make my own great brew and watch my HDTV or read the paper in my house. NOTHING beats that. NO hassle with Acura service folks either. You should try it..........
Old 12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
If you take a look at things from Honda's perspective, they are about to achieve their 9th or 10th consecutive record year for sales and they also continue to provide their shareholders with a very nice dividend. Maybe Honda management is very happy with their level of growth and are wary of the huge capital outlays (eg. new production plants) that would be associated with targeting huge increases in sales volume. As production volumes increase, the costs and effort to maintain quality increases exponentially in relation. Rather than having to find 500 new employees that are self motivated and conscientious, targeting huge increases in sales may require 2000 or 5000 such employees to be found in a very tight labour market.
Furthermore, huge advertising budgets strip away dollars (and/or yen) from engineering and research and development budgets. I for one love Honda because they are not the huge monster that is Toyota and I love Acura because they don't sell cars in huge numbers that every Tom, Dick and Harry is driving. Just my .02
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Motown:
I change my own oil in my garage, make my own great brew and watch my HDTV or read the paper in my house. NOTHING beats that. NO hassle with Acura service folks either. You should try it..........
Okay, Fabvsix, after a couple of weeks of lurking (I don't (yet?) own an RL, so I just envy you folks), you've prompted me to post, because yours made me laugh. I feel the exact same way about DIY fluid changes, etc., and I never miss an opportunity to rib a coworker about how much his oil changes and light bulb changes cost, though he does always rave about how nice the Lexus service waiting area is.

My friends, who write me off as a Honda fanboy, stay away from Honda/Acura because of the bland styling and because the showrooms and service waiting areas are not as nice as Lexus'. They completely believe that everything about Lexus is superior and more luxurious than Acura. Kudos to Lexus for doing a great job convincing them.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to the forums kecuva! I tend to agree with your friends in terms of service areas - lexus is simply better. Granted, Fabvsix has a good point - can't really beat his idea
Old 12-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

BTW: I change "both" my Acura's oil on Saturday morning. Took all but One hour if that......
Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I would honestly change my own oil if I knew how - and if I wasn't worried about the dealer giving me a hard time with warranty work if something were to go wrong.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I'm no mechanic or engineer, but changing oil in a car these days a 10 year old could do as it is SO easy !
Old 12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I suppose I should learn huh?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
I suppose I should learn huh?
Couldn't hurt.

I would change my own oil, except my complex right now does not allow any automotive work to be done on the premises.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Sean McNamara went from an Audi A8 to a Lexus GS? I would have left the show just because of that
Old 12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
Having just bought an RL to replace my Lexus LS400, I can tell you that I will sorely miss the "LEXUS EXPERIENCE". Big time. I already have issues with follow-up. And being able to bring my car to the local Lexus dealer, on a Saturday (no weekend Acura hours) for an oil change or service, have a good cup of Joe at their free Espresso bar, watch the hi-def TV in the lounge or read the paper...Oh man I will miss that!!!! I drove the new 2006 IS250 AWD (slow/cramped/overpriced) and all it did was make me realize what a great value the RL is. Didn't drive the 2006 GS300 AWD though....
Hi folks, I have a 05 MDX, no RL (YET, next car), but my dealer is open on Saturday mornings. I also get free oil changes and I'm in by 7:30 am and out by 8-8:15 am. Nothing but great service where I go on Long Island.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, it takes 45 min max for an oil change at my dealer also - but the level of actual service from the people is lower than lexus. My dealer has gotten better with dealing with (well with me at least, they tend to try to care now). They have a mini fridge filled with water and pop and if you get there early enough you can find muffins from Sam's club. At the lexus dealer, they have a person there who will make you coffee, espresso, whatever you want to drink. They have a wide variety of snacks to much on. Large soft leather seats and a large waiting area. Acura just doesn't come to that level. Most lexus dealers give you loaners - here you give them 24-48 hour notice they will give you a loaner. They will do pickup/drop off service for loaner cars. Acura doesn't do this. If you want a loaner from the acura dealer here, you need to give them 2-3 weeks notice - and no pickup/drop off service.

Our RX300 comes off lease in 06, and we will probably get a new RX330.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Interested Party

My Acura dealer offers all the things your old Lexus dealer offers. I go there almost every day for a free car wash, a big cup of Starbucks and surf the net at high speed or watch tv whilst waiting.

In addition, mine is open on Saturday for oil change and other minor service. My dealer is right across the street from the Lexus dealer where I shopped a GS430 but ended up with the RL since it is a great value in a lux car and could not see up to 15k diff in spend on the GS except that it is a Lexus which has real brand recognition.

People are really impressed once they get in my car and take a ride. But they normally don't know what it is until I tell them and they get a chance to experience it for themselvs.

I thought that Acura was trying to make sure all dealerships offered similar customer experiences since I find mine to compete very well with the local MB, BMW, Audi and Lexus dealers in my area.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to the forums needspeed! I sure wish my Acura dealer was like that.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Frainc,

Where on the island is your dealer? I'm in the process of purchasing an 06 RL and wanted to know if there was good service.

Currently, the dealer in question is Rallye Acura.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vtecracer
Sean McNamara went from an Audi A8 to a Lexus GS? I would have left the show just because of that

That isn't as bad as Christian Troy. He used to drive a Ferrari 360 Spyder and Lamborghinis and last I saw he had a Jag.

Talk about a step down!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Acura Service

My dealer provides free oil changes for as long as I own the RL. Neither Lexus nor Infiniti offered this. When car was dropped off at 7:30 AM for first oil change/ service and TSB updates, A loner car was provided (TL - set-up with the appointment for service). Saturday service is also available. They also offer drop-off and pick up.
At 10:30 AM I was called and told the car was ready to pick up.
By the way, the waiting area does not have leather seating nor coffee made to order, but does provide normal padded seating, beverages of various sorts, cable TV and donuts-pasteries self serve.
I was contacted afterward inquiring as to my perception of the level of service and how I rated it. I'm sure service level varies with location but I have no complaints thus far.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

I forgot

Also, when picked up, my RL had been washed and detailed inside and out.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

nah, marketing wouldn't do much. people like lexus simply because it is a lexus. like you buy nike's over new balance, nikes are nikes and anything else is just a shoe
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Undercover Slacker

the dealer my cousin took his mdx in san diego, had free starbucks, leather seats in the waiting room, and when we decided to all of sudden to get lunch and wanted a loaner car, they handed him a tsx just like that...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Yup wish my Acura dealer was like that as well.
It's funny...But compared to the Lexus dealer I was using in Scottsdale, when I first got to Michigan I thought the dealer here was pretty lame. Now it seems pretty nice!
- But I'll tell you, when I was shopping for a new car the reason I didn't buy an Audi was the dealer I have reasonable access to had no A4's/S4's/A6's in stock, and the place was a real toilet. Here you have a Porsche/Audi/VW/Mazda/Nissan franchise - with a Carrera GT on the floor for Pete's sake - and the waiting area was a step below your average Home Depot. No kidding.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup wish my Acura dealer was like that as well.
It's funny...But compared to the Lexus dealer I was using in Scottsdale, when I first got to Michigan I thought the dealer here was pretty lame. Now it seems pretty nice!
- But I'll tell you, when I was shopping for a new car the reason I didn't buy an Audi was the dealer I have reasonable access to had no A4's/S4's/A6's in stock, and the place was a real toilet. Here you have a Porsche/Audi/VW/Mazda/Nissan franchise - with a Carrera GT on the floor for Pete's sake - and the waiting area was a step below your average Home Depot. No kidding.

Cook imports? Grand River & Halsted?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ghahary_21
nah, marketing wouldn't do much. people like lexus simply because it is a lexus. like you buy nike's over new balance, nikes are nikes and anything else is just a shoe
It took marketing skills to build the lexus image to the high levels that it is at. Without marketing, Lexus would be in the same position Acura is in.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dalieu
the dealer my cousin took his mdx in san diego, had free starbucks, leather seats in the waiting room, and when we decided to all of sudden to get lunch and wanted a loaner car, they handed him a tsx just like that...

Which dealer in SD?

I bought my car from Cush Acura and I'd like to visit that dealer though Cush is so-so. Waiting room shared with Jaguar customers, coffee machine with free tokens, soft leather chairs, danish - sometimes. Before they made the waiting room all-in-one we had separate ones and the Jaguar waiting room was MUCH nicer.....
Old 12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dmtza
Hi Frainc,

Where on the island is your dealer? I'm in the process of purchasing an 06 RL and wanted to know if there was good service.

Currently, the dealer in question is Rallye Acura.

Thanks!
I have my 4th. Acura from Bay Shore Acura, see Calton, he is the sales manager and will work with you on a price.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Cook imports? Grand River & Halsted?
Yup!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup!
What a shitty place.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by kecuva
My friends, who write me off as a Honda fanboy, stay away from Honda/Acura because of the bland styling and because the showrooms and service waiting areas are not as nice as Lexus'. They completely believe that everything about Lexus is superior and more luxurious than Acura. Kudos to Lexus for doing a great job convincing them.
If Acura wants to play as a true luxury competitor, they need to get up to everyone elses' standards. My Acura dealer in town is up to par with a nicely remodeled dealership. Loaner cars (TSXs) are offered for any service, Starbucks is brewed in the lounge, the refridgerator is stocked, there's a television, free internet, leather seats, and the service reps do everything they can to make your service pain-free and convenient. Luxury is all about perception.

With all do respect, what's so luxurious about changing your own oil? Service is part of the motivation to buy a luxurious vehicle. When you're paying a price premium over other makes, there very well better be superior service.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:33 AM
has been here awhile

It took marketing skills to build the lexus image to the high levels that it is at. Without marketing, Lexus would be in the same position Acura is in.
How did Lexus become Lexus? Did people just see the big gold "L" and think "oooo...that sure is luxurious!"? Heck no...Lexuses used to be looked upon simply as glorified Toyotas, and they still struggle to win over the European loyalists (let alone some of their own customers). Further, Lexus is still not as prestigious as a BMW or Mercedes-Benz. They are still one step behind, in that most people view BMWs or Mercedes as more exclusive (how many people do you know that have a Lexus on their dream car list?).

Quick Reply: Something kinda interesting.