Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:43 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
:imwithstupid:

He at least argues his reasoning...we can at least see where he's coming from

I'm all for saving money, but a price difference of $15k is rather large when car shopping. Know what I'm getting at?

But all this is just IMHO.
Let's say you and others think the RL is worth $40k (or insert whatever amount you deem appropriate). Why should you care so damn much if I overpaid by $10k? It's my $$$, why do you care? Nobody is forcing you to buy the RL. Having choices is good, exercise your choice to make yourself happy. Don't worry about us RLers, we're big boys, and if we spent too much (in your estimation), that's for us to worry about (or not).

Lessisbest, life is short, enjoy what you have when you can. Go buy that luxury car, no matter who makes it. Lots of great cars out there. You don't need to buy the "best value," you just need to buy the car that puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did. (The RL may well be the best value in its class, but that is not why I bought it.) I don't regret it for a second.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by 8-)
Let's say you and others think the RL is worth $40k (or insert whatever amount you deem appropriate). Why should you care so damn much if I overpaid by $10k? It's my $$$, why do you care? Nobody is forcing you to buy the RL. Having choices is good, exercise your choice to make yourself happy. Don't worry about us RLers, we're big boys, and if we spent too much (in your estimation), that's for us to worry about (or not)...
I agree with you completely...what I meant to say was that for someone to cross shop vehicles that have a $15k price difference is kind of strange, IMHO. I understand looking at vehicles that are $5k-$7.5k apart and in the same vehicle class...but cross shopping between two different classes of vehicles...

But maybe that's just me...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

Rl

So true. My buying choices were all over the place. RL to me just hit the spot. I respect everyone's opinion here but RL is a pleasure to drive everyday. Worth every penny I spent on it. In the end that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by 8-)
Let's say you and others think the RL is worth $40k (or insert whatever amount you deem appropriate). Why should you care so damn much if I overpaid by $10k? It's my $$$, why do you care? Nobody is forcing you to buy the RL. Having choices is good, exercise your choice to make yourself happy. Don't worry about us RLers, we're big boys, and if we spent too much (in your estimation), that's for us to worry about (or not).

Lessisbest, life is short, enjoy what you have when you can. Go buy that luxury car, no matter who makes it. Lots of great cars out there. You don't need to buy the "best value," you just need to buy the car that puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did. (The RL may well be the best value in its class, but that is not why I bought it.) I don't regret it for a second.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I agree with you completely...what I meant to say was that for someone to cross shop vehicles that have a $15k price difference is kind of strange, IMHO. I understand looking at vehicles that are $5k-$7.5k apart and in the same vehicle class...but cross shopping between two different classes of vehicles...

But maybe that's just me...

I think it's just you. I looked at TL, 5 series/6 series, S4, M3, RL (before released), S60 type R, AMG CLK, AMG C32. So roughly 33 to 75. I figured that I could afford about 80 if I really loved a car but I came pretty close to getting the TL. No car is perfect so we all have to make compromises. When I was disappointed with the options - I almost went with the TL because of the value factor. In the end I got a 545.

So that means I also cross shopped 2 door and 4 door. Sedan and coupe. I guess I really wanted a 2 door coupe but none met my other requirements.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8-)

Hear hear!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dpilati
I think it's just you. I looked at TL, 5 series/6 series, S4, M3, RL (before released), S60 type R, AMG CLK, AMG C32. So roughly 33 to 75. I figured that I could afford about 80 if I really loved a car but I came pretty close to getting the TL. No car is perfect so we all have to make compromises. When I was disappointed with the options - I almost went with the TL because of the value factor. In the end I got a 545.

So that means I also cross shopped 2 door and 4 door. Sedan and coupe. I guess I really wanted a 2 door coupe but none met my other requirements.
Your situation is rare. Most people tend to pick a car class and price range that they are looking for and stick to it. I'm sure the situation changes some as disposable income becomes available, but cross shopping cars of different performance categories doesn't always make for a good direct comparison.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
...I'm sure the situation changes some as disposable income becomes available, but cross shopping cars of different performance categories doesn't always make for a good direct comparison.
Sure, it doesn't make for a good direct comparison, but what I think it comes down to, for some (like dpilati), is they buy what car they like the best, whether or not it is directly comparable to any of the others they looked at. Throw away the category of the car, what its performance level is, whether it is four door or two...whichever vehicle pulls at your heart strings the most, is the vehicle to purchase.

Am I understanding the logic? I don't see anything wrong with it. For example: I think I personally would choose a MBZ S65 over a McLaren SLR anyday (even if I could afford the McLaren). Simply personal preference...

(Maybe that's a bit of an extreme...but still... )
Old 12-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
This is the RL forum for sure, and welcome anyone coming here to talk their opinions and discuss further. And, hope those CL'rs/TL'rs/TSX'rs would consider to upgrade their cars to RLs in the near future.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitium
If the RL is not worth $50k I don't know what is
Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by soopa
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a link that someone made there that goes to Lexus board that compares the 3 cars very well. It has pics of the M45 test, 49k tested, 0-60 in either 5.3 or 5.6 seconds!! The other performance aspects were top notch too. Both reviews were incredible. IMO, well worth 50k. It has the engine to match the rest of the car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=106788&page=2
Old 01-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soopa
I get my money's worth every day. Not every car I've owned has made me anxious to end my day at the office and face the stop-and-go commute, but the RL certainly does.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
There is a link that someone made there that goes to Lexus board that compares the 3 cars very well. It has pics of the M45 test, 49k tested, 0-60 in either 5.3 or 5.6 seconds!! The other performance aspects were top notch too. Both reviews were incredible. IMO, well worth 50k. It has the engine to match the rest of the car.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=106788&page=2
BTW, lest you think we've forgotten you, I posted this in one of the other forums and will share it with you as well...

"When I took my FX35 in for service they gave me a G35 as a loaner car. It was fun to toss around, but the quality (compared to RL or even FX) was noticeably absent. And for everyone who is so "high" on the M because of its 0-60 times and track numbers, the interior in the G35 was really worn after just 22k miles. I've said many times that the difference in quality between my RL and FX is noticeable, but I definitely saw the long-term effects of this difference in the G. Conversely, when I traded in my '99 TL several years ago w/ 32k miles it still looked almost new."

So, you feel free to buy whatever you think is worth the money.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:48 PM
office monkey

I think tonight on my way home I am going to do 0-60 runs from stoplight to stoplight in the snow. After all, it is 0-60 that makes a car worthwhile.

I'm 26...I think I stopped caring about 0-60 times and all that stuff when I was 18, maybe 19 when I realized how utterly silly it was to get all jizzy over them. Funny

Someone explain to me how an awesome 0-60 or 1/4 mile time actually matters in every day populated street driving aside from some insane bragging rights or putting "fear" in the guy next to you who in reality really doesnt give a rat's ass how fast your car goes despite what you think.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by dseag2
BTW, lest you think we've forgotten you, I posted this in one of the other forums and will share it with you as well...

"When I took my FX35 in for service they gave me a G35 as a loaner car. It was fun to toss around, but the quality (compared to RL or even FX) was noticeably absent. And for everyone who is so "high" on the M because of its 0-60 times and track numbers, the interior in the G35 was really worn after just 22k miles. I've said many times that the difference in quality between my RL and FX is noticeable, but I definitely saw the long-term effects of this difference in the G. Conversely, when I traded in my '99 TL several years ago w/ 32k miles it still looked almost new."

So, you feel free to buy whatever you think is worth the money.
Different priorities for different people. However, if I were to go for a real performance machine, a vehicle whose performance is unlike anyother, I'd just go ahead and buy the BMW. BMW, builds THE best performing car--bar none. It's not an opinion...it's a fact Why "settle" for an Infiniti.

That being said, I think I'd pick the RL as the best overall vehicle. Yes, I still have to drive it (finding time to is a royal pain in the arse), but from what everyone is saying it's amazing. I've sat in the thing, so I know how great its interior is. The drive will be the cherry on top.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:38 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Rob L
I think tonight on my way home I am going to do 0-60 runs from stoplight to stoplight in the snow. After all, it is 0-60 that makes a car worthwhile...
Post video on here
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
I think tonight on my way home I am going to do 0-60 runs from stoplight to stoplight in the snow. After all, it is 0-60 that makes a car worthwhile.

I'm 26...I think I stopped caring about 0-60 times and all that stuff when I was 18, maybe 19 when I realized how utterly silly it was to get all jizzy over them. Funny

Someone explain to me how an awesome 0-60 or 1/4 mile time actually matters in every day populated street driving aside from some insane bragging rights or putting "fear" in the guy next to you who in reality really doesnt give a rat's ass how fast your car goes despite what you think.
Hmm. I'm 34 and I still care about performance. Does that make me 18 again???

I agree that it is not really about bragging rights though....
Old 01-07-2005, 05:40 PM
8-)

I think I can safely speak for all when I say we very much care about performance. Now, speaking only for myself, the 0-60 time plays a very,very minor part in the performance equation.

Maybe I'm just arguing semantics. Sorry.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The RL is very nice but I'd have a hard time spending $50k for a car, a very depreciating asset. It would have to hold it's value very well to entice me, and be sportier and more distinctively styled.

I'd rather use that money in other ways. I paid half that for my used 03 CLS and just can't see getting one car for the price of 2. But hey, it's just money. I think the new TL is a much better buy.

But if a new upscale coupe comes out of Marysville Ohio, I may have to eat my words, cause it ain't gonna be no $24k, that's for sure.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
we can't help you justify spending 50K on a car...you have to do that for yourself...

If you're thinking this...this car isn't for you then.. IMO
Old 01-07-2005, 08:18 PM
8-)

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
The RL is very nice but I'd have a hard time spending $50k for a car, a very depreciating asset. It would have to hold it's value very well to entice me, and be sportier and more distinctively styled.
Since you mentioned "depreciating asset," think of it in just that way. A new $50k car can provide 10 years of utility and fun. So that's $5,000/year for 10 years. (Ok, you got me, throw in some repair $ too.) For years six through ten, would you rather have a nicely maintained $50k car or a new $25k car? Obviously I can't answer that for you, but I do think it is a decision that can well go either way, depending on a person's priorities. (By the way, I kept my previous car 10 years, to the month. I miss it, I still enjoyed it in the later years, but it was time for a change.) And if you win a small lottery or get that big promotion, maybe that ten years shrinks to something less.

Just a thought, I really don't expect to change your mind!

Oh, if the RL styling isn't to your taste, you can use the same analysis for a new $50k Lexus, MB, BMW, Infiniti, and so forth. But buy that house, save for the kids' college tuition, pay off your loans, and all that other stuff first.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 AM
office monkey

Theres a difference in caring about performance and acting like a car's 0-60 time owns all.

WTF good is a 0-60 time if a car handles like crap?

To me performance is more than 0-60 times...I just have to laugh when I read people compare cars' 0-60 times and act like one that is .3 seconds quicker (or whatever minor amount) is sooooo much quicker than the other one and in every day driving will just be smoking its ass all over town. It sure seems like it is all about bragging rights in this situation.

If anyone thinks a luxury sedan that can get to 60mph in 6.7 seconds is slow then I would love to see what kind and where they are doing their driving. In my 10 years of drivng I have yet to encounter a stretch of road or a situation where I could say "damn, this car is slow. I need a Ferrari F430" and I have driven far slower cars than the RL including 9+ second vans.

Now if people are taking their cars to the track then that is a diff story but for regular public street driving I just don't understand the logic in making 0-60 times sooooo important.

I would like someone to prove to me they can tell the diff between say a 6.3 0-60 car and a 6.7 0-60 car. I would love to test people on this who thin that 0.4 second difference is large. I know from my driving of an LS430 and the RL I can't tell the difference in actual acceleration when I floor it.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

I'm not an RL driver but an Acura driver for 20 years (or more). Any Acura, esp. an important flagship model ellicits my interest, if not as a buyer of that model but what it might bring to the entire lineup and direction Acura is taking. I'm very excited by the new Acuras, not since my 95 Legend coupe days too.

Since I prefer coupes, (driven two Legends and two 3.2CLs) I see the RL (and TL/TSX) as integral to what a new Acura coupe will be like, but it's got to feature some real distinctive styling.

As for depreciating assets- I agree it makes sense if you keep it a long time, but I don't think I will keep cars as long as you mention, anymore, I used to tho.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 PM
office monkey

20 years or more as an acura driver? Interesting as I didn't think acura came onto the scene until 1986 so to have more than 19 years as an acura driver before they were even on the market would be damn impressive!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Oh you're right...smarty! I've got a bad head cold and can't think straight..
I was thinking of the red 83 Prelude I had which was my first Honda product, Loved it, went on to the Legend Coupes 88 and 95 and then 2 03 CLS 6MTs..
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Cruisin'

With respect to performance, 0-60 times, etc. - I have a few other thoughts.

1. Of all the ~$50K cars I have driven, the RL is clearly the best overall value. Great ride, cushy interior, unbelievably good sound system.

2. Of all these cars, the RL is clearly the most luxurious. It is nearly on a par with the LS430, the base model of which is still 10-15% more expensive.

3. Even with the above considerations, the added performance available to me from the Benz E500 or the BMW 545 is somewhat tempting. Those two cars are more fun to drive, by far, than the RL. JMO, of course, and those two cars are about 20-25% more costly.

4. My performance interests, in addition to handling, are more 45-70 and 55-80 acceleration, since in the real world that's where I need the juice. Merging onto freeways, passing coal trucks on that short stretch of dotted-line road.

I am likely to choose the RL because of a variety of factors, one of which is the outstanding reliability of the Honda marque. But I'd sure like another 40 ft-lb of torque and another 20 HP!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
With respect to performance, 0-60 times, etc. - I have a few other thoughts.

1. Of all the ~$50K cars I have driven, the RL is clearly the best overall value. Great ride, cushy interior, unbelievably good sound system.

2. Of all these cars, the RL is clearly the most luxurious. It is nearly on a par with the LS430, the base model of which is still 10-15% more expensive.

3. Even with the above considerations, the added performance available to me from the Benz E500 or the BMW 545 is somewhat tempting. Those two cars are more fun to drive, by far, than the RL. JMO, of course, and those two cars are about 20-25% more costly.

4. My performance interests, in addition to handling, are more 45-70 and 55-80 acceleration, since in the real world that's where I need the juice. Merging onto freeways, passing coal trucks on that short stretch of dotted-line road.

I am likely to choose the RL because of a variety of factors, one of which is the outstanding reliability of the Honda marque. But I'd sure like another 40 ft-lb of torque and another 20 HP!

I struggled with some of the same thoughts, Buck, but went for the RL. When I was getting rid of a Lincoln Mark VIII a few years ago I was wondering about the torque and whether to pop for yet another piece of Detroit baroque. But an Acura type S got the nod. It was then that I alo diovered that the most importan 60 mph don't start at 0 but at 30-50.

That being said, I took my RL on a long maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago and encountered snowstorms, icy roads and one hell of a lot of lumber (not coal) trucks bearing down on me with no apparent intention of particularly exercising their brakes. My conclusion was the RL's got everything you need in that department. The jazzy electronics are another matter. But once the geniuses in California get that worked out, I think it'll be a terrific car. I have not yet regretted buying this car, but the bell tolls for my regard for the eletronics and the Acura Tech Line.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:16 AM
office monkey

That's cool and I totally agree those are areas of acceleration that matter.

I still feel IMO that a car (any car) with the RL's acceleration should be fine. Is for me but maybe traffic on highways here isn't as bad as there so the extra little zip is not needed.

Nice post dude and agree with the points you made!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bitium
Don't worry, they just don't know shit or have bad taste.
this the best post of the thread.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, in my opinion, I prefer to get a German car...

U never find out the German cars' feeling from a Japanese car,

and for most of ppl, German cars' feeling is better. (that is common sence, rite?)

For that much money, try to test drive an AUDI S4, try to hear the

beautiful engine sound... it also got 20+ years Quattro tech.

344 hp... u will be crazy for that car... (BTW: M3 SUX, NEVER BUY THAT SHIT.)

(Well, this is just my personal feeling. but I have to say RL is a really nice car too...)
Old 01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
office monkey

mio,

where do you live? I am guessing overseas based on your posts.

BTW I think it'd be damn retarded for the engine sound being a big factor in one's car buying decision.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Try leasing the car....

I was able to negotiate a great lease deal on the car, 18Kmiles and a payment under $5oo/36 months (with some trade equity). Purchasing doesn't make any sense to me because I rarely keep a car more than 3 years, so why put that much cash out up front?

This is my 6th Acura since 98 (3.2 TL, 2 RL's, MDX, 04TL) and it is the best car I've ever owned. I was on the fence trading in the TL because the difference that justifies the cost isn't incredibly obvious until you own the car for a week or so. The TL was ok, I didn't love it. The RL is amazing, I can't wait to drive the '08.

I did look at 5 series, 350 Benz - not a lot of owner loyalty, most change brands. Lexus has owner loyalty but the LS is really looking like an old body style.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Racer

Since this 7+ month old thread has been resurrected - it should be pointed out that the RL can be bought for over $7000 cheaper now than when this tread started. Back when this thread started (and even its "final" post on 1/13) the RL was going for MSRP of $49K+ Now folks are paying in $42+ range.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
Since this 7+ month old thread has been resurrected - it should be pointed out that the RL can be bought for over $7000 cheaper now than when this tread started. Back when this thread started (and even its "final" post on 1/13) the RL was going for MSRP of $49K+ Now folks are paying in $42+ range.

Yep Yep

Got mine w/wheel locks, splash guards & cargo/trunk holder (?) no charge. $43k
Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Racer

How and where did you guys spend $43K for the RL? Carsdirect lists it for $47K+ where I live (SF Bay Area). I haven't called around yet.

I bought my S4 through carsdirect when it was impossible to get an S4 locally without a 7 month wait. They trucked one in from LA, paid MSRP. Had I bought an S4 off the lot right here it would have been MSRP + $4K.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Racer

I was offered upper $43's back in May and assume I can do better today, but haven't really tried. Check out the RL Owners Sign-in Sticky for recent reports of $42s and $43s in this forum.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25&page=4
Old 08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Racer

Thanks, reading that now. I saw one $43K in Santa Clara which is a dealer only a few blocks from my house. Sweet!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Thanks, reading that now. I saw one $43K in Santa Clara which is a dealer only a few blocks from my house. Sweet!
Go to Stevens Creek Acura or Los Gatos Acura. I got my RL at Stevens Creek for 1500 under invoice and my friend got his last week at Los Gatos for 1700 under invoice. At the pace the price is going now it should be under 40K by Nov. :-) Don't get any accessories if you are just shopping for price. All the accessories can be ordered online for a lot cheaper.