someone help me justify spending 50k for this car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Oh, and about this Justin=unreliable thing...

When I was new I asked nicely if he knew what he was talking about and he explained who he was/what he knew. Please, have some respect. Don't just come onto the board and act like nobody knows anything. If you want your question asked, listen to what people have to say. Don't take this like I'm angry, I just wanted to let you know that this board is filled with nice people who know a thing or two. Justin knows everything about Acuras
I want chime in here and say I agree.

It would be very gratuitious and foolish to state what was stated by GO_TL.

Justin has built himself a very solid and credible reputation, especially on the TSX forum, but he is also very dedicated to making this RL forum a success. You don't build such a reputation, nor do you make a success out of a car forum, let alone a high-end car forum with such an educated and mature crowd as that of the RL by posting any BS. You do it with consise and helpful information.

This is exactly what Justin is doing here.

If you want to attack his credibility, you can always get up early, and come well-prepared. He doesn't need to argue with anyone who challenges him. And then again, he doesn't need anyone to put him to doubt, because he hasn't done anything to deserve this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the RL: If I had the money to afford it, I know I wouldn't be asking myself what would/should be selling me to this car, I'd buy it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
look if you're going to compare the E55 AMG to something, compare it to an M5 and RS6, not an RL A-SPEC. Sure the A-SPEC package adds sportiness, but Acura did not include it to do battle with M and AMG. The sport models of the Germans go for 70-80k, the RL A-SPEC will be around 53-54k. It adds a more aggressive look, better wheels/tires, better suspension, and minor interior upgrades. Never in their mind would Acura allow for the RL to do battle with an M5.

Now, when comparing LIKE cars (RL, E320, 530i), I believe the RL has it won in everything but prestige (which I really don't care that much about) and looks. The naivity that people have makes them wonder why they are paying 50k for a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. For that much, people want to say they own a Bimmer or Benz. It rolls off the tongue better. Plus, in my opinion, the Germans look much classier. However, the japs are getting that right. The RL looks very classy, the GS concept looked great, and I'm sure the Fuga (Infiniti M) will look classy as well.

Only my opinion.

When I was new I asked nicely if he knew what he was talking about and he explained who he was/what he knew. Please, have some respect. Don't just come onto the board and act like nobody knows anything. If you want your question asked, listen to what people have to say. Don't take this like I'm angry, I just wanted to let you know that this board is filled with nice people who know a thing or two. Justin knows everything about Acuras
While I agree with you, I'd just like to point out one thing...the prior discussion was on appearance alone and hemants posted pics of the RS6 and S55 so I felt it was appropriate to post pictures of a car with similar appearance modifications.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by legendguy
You know, I get tired of folks comparing buying a new car to a used car. It becomes an apples versus oranges thing because not everyone wants the used car experience. Some of us prefer to know that the history of the car is known and that we won't be buying someone else's lemon or disappointment. This is not to say that a upper end beemer or lexus willl have problems (it is unlikely given that most are driven by sane, responsible people) but you never know.
Congrats on your opinion, you're entitled to it.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:13 PM
I love my G sedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one can convince you except yourself. Really, after you test drive it and do some homework about it, and you still think you need to be convinced, then it is not the car for you. As far as value, of course TL is a better buy, $14k price difference but not much performance-wise or feature-wise. But in my opinion, A6 is not worth the money. 530i is good except the interior. E320 is great, but probably E500 would impress me more.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:04 PM
My name is RL.

BIG misunderstanding...So BIG.

Originally Posted by justinjsw
Funny numbers? Explain

Not trust anything I say? Thats your prerogative.

It was Linnley's post about the C&D RL review that had the incorrect vehicle weight and stopping distance comparisons. You were the one that corrected him. I have to eat a little crow on this one. I appreciate the straightforward way you responded.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:10 PM
My name is RL.

Oh No.......

UGGGGHHH... <slaps forehead> I agree. See my post above.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:18 PM
My name is RL.

Move along now. Nothing to see here.

Originally Posted by sauceman
I want chime in here and say I agree.

It would be very gratuitious and foolish to state what was stated by GO_TL.

Justin has built himself a very solid and credible reputation, especially on the TSX forum, but he is also very dedicated to making this RL forum a success. You don't build such a reputation, nor do you make a success out of a car forum, let alone a high-end car forum with such an educated and mature crowd as that of the RL by posting any BS. You do it with consise and helpful information.

This is exactly what Justin is doing here.

If you want to attack his credibility, you can always get up early, and come well-prepared. He doesn't need to argue with anyone who challenges him. And then again, he doesn't need anyone to put him to doubt, because he hasn't done anything to deserve this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the RL: If I had the money to afford it, I know I wouldn't be asking myself what would/should be selling me to this car, I'd buy it.
OK...OK...Everyone made constructive, well mannered replies not realizing that I made a mistake. That was the coolest thing about this. That shows this a tight community. That's great to know, and if Justin did not know it, he does now. And Justin...I love you, man......Give us a hug....Come on, bro....I'm only human.

:ultraghey:
Old 11-22-2004, 09:54 PM
101 years of heartache...

Originally Posted by GO_TL
UGGGGHHH... <slaps forehead> I agree. See my post above.
oh, my fault. sorry about that.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
PeterUbers wrote: Congrats on your opinion, you're entitled to it.
OK, what I said was a little harsh. The thread was titled "someone help me justify spending 50k for this car" so you could go the route of used if you were going best bang for the 50k buck. Sorry I went on the offensive there, my bad.

I still like the RL is this case though, for its SH-AWD, nice keyless, voice controls, and excellent Nav screen and screen placement versus the 2-year-old germans. Have to agree with you that the germans will get you the status though.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GO_TL
It was Linnley's post about the C&D RL review that had the incorrect vehicle weight and stopping distance comparisons. You were the one that corrected him. I have to eat a little crow on this one. I appreciate the straightforward way you responded.

No harm...no foul...no need to eat any crow.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
OG

Yes, I feel the LOVE... :ultraghey: TY
Old 11-22-2004, 10:50 PM
OG

Someone tell me y i should purchase this car over the TL, 530, or E 320. I really want to stay w/ acura, but I don't think 50k is worth it for the RL.
If some of you read the topic of the first post...the question was not...if I had 50K to spend what car should I buy. Poster had a three part question...1) Justify the price of the RL, 2)why spend the extra money over the TL for the RL, 3) why purchase the RL over the 530I and E320.

Now, taking the question of the topic into account...its fairly simple to think that he/she wants a sedan...not just a sedan but a midsize entry/mid luxo sedan. Plus he/she gave us 4 cars in the post....TL, RL, 530I and E320.

So using some logic...a M3 will not work here. A used LS430?...Maybe, but that was not the question....he never asked for a recommendation.

Again, if the question was...Hey, I have 50K what should I buy? Then we can go ahead and make any recommendation we want. To me the post was simple...now the question is...did we answer his/her question?

It may all be for nothing because the poster has not returned since the first post.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Legendguy,
It's no problem. Glad we can agree on something,
Old 11-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced

HMMMM...let's compare the looks of the new cars in the RL class out there, since I don't want a used car that was taken out kicked, beat up and used and abused by someone else. The only one I would even think about would be a used M5, but that car just looks old now and there are far to many 5 series out there and well the reliability sucks.

As for Lexus, nice car, but I'm sorry, the LS 400 is totally booring, it looks like it is trying to copy Mercedes with that thing, and its totally out of proportions.

Speaking of Mercedes, the E55 AMG is hot, but almost 90k, come on...and the E Series is an old look that is growing older by the minute.

How about Audi, come on that new grill is totally obnoxsious.

Cadillac STS - Caught my eye and it looks pretty good, but hell it American and I would want the V8 and AWD and this cost 65k. I'll pass.

Infinity M45, the existing one is crap, but the car that almost had me waiting rather than buying the RL is the new 2006 M45. I WILL go drive that car when it comes out just to see if trading in the RL is worth it, but unless they put the AWD and the V8 together, which doesn't look like it's going to happen this year, I'm probably keeping my RL another year.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Oh and I forgot one, the new 5 series. Well, it's grown on me some in the last year, but it still look small, I hate the headlights and those wheel wells are far to small for the overall look of the car.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Drifting

My what a difference suspension and front grill can make!

Add some new wheels and I might just have to buy one!

Old 11-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by codyt01
Oh and I forgot one, the new 5 series. Well, it's grown on me some in the last year, but it still look small, I hate the headlights and those wheel wells are far to small for the overall look of the car.
It's surprisingly roomy on the inside, though. Not roomy like a minivan, but roomier than its outside looks would lead you to believe.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i must say, i don't hate my TL, but i think it's really funny how the RL is $50 grand....my dad's buying the new Infiniti M45 concept in 2005....it's like $55 grand, but the interior, exterior, mechanics, and power are so must better than the RL, and the interior makes the RL's interior look like crap...

i like the TLs, but it's just too much money for the RL....that's just my honest opinion. you could get SO many better cars for $50 Gs. -peace
Old 11-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Advanced

As I stated in my initial post below, the new M35/M45 coming in Spring 2005 as an early 2006 model looks to be a pretty nice car. I'm on their mailing list for it so I have already received all the broshures as they are coming out. I do not agree that it blows the RL away. If you look closely, the two interiors are very close in layout and materials, but I see some things that go to the RL, on the ergonomic side. the position of the computer control wheel for one is perfect on RL, but it position way to high on the M and the look of those buttons on the M is cheap. Typical Infinity, but the new M interior is much better than say teh FX or G models. Its nice you can get aluminum trim instead of wood grain in the M, I wish the RL had that option.

On exterior styling I think it is a draw. I like the RL better from the back and side, but I like the Ms front side look better.

The V8 option is what was almost making me wait, but then I found out that you couldn't get the Sport version or any other V8 variant with the AWD. Maybe that will come in 2007.

Either way I'm going to look at the M when it hits the showrooms in the spring. Its looking to be a very nice car that will be an excellent competitor to the RL and the others we been discussing in this thread.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:41 PM
My name is RL.

Not so fast buck-a-roo!

Originally Posted by shawn744
i must say, i don't hate my TL, but i think it's really funny how the RL is $50 grand....my dad's buying the new Infiniti M45 concept in 2005....it's like $55 grand, but the interior, exterior, mechanics, and power are so must better than the RL, and the interior makes the RL's interior look like crap...

i like the TLs, but it's just too much money for the RL....that's just my honest opinion. you could get SO many better cars for $50 Gs. -peace
The M that 'daddy' is getting will not be the same vehicle you have been seeing in the auto rags and on the internet. By the way, the internet is still the last bastion of truth, right? Sorry bud, the production model that he will be getting is an "M-Lite" by comparison. So let's not flog the RL interior just yet. Let's see what the production M looks like first. I don't see how you missed the byline on the M Concept site:

The Infiniti M Concept vehicle, which made its world debut at the 2004 New York International Auto Show, offers a look into the future design direction of Infiniti.

On the other hand, Acura has delivered a sub-$50K vehicle with comfort features a plenty, exotic materials on its skin and underpinnings and one of the most practical and unique all-wheel drive systems ever produced. I won't go as far as recommending that they charge more for this vehicle, they have creeped up to the redline as it is, but I believe they give you extraordinary value for the money.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Kollage is funn!

alright, i see what you're saying but i STILL say that for the RL $50g is too much....

i'll let you know when i see the M
Old 11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

alright, i see what you're saying but i STILL say that for the RL $50g is too much....

How is it too much? It's cheaper than all of its competition with more equipment and is one of only a handful of cars that offer AWD in this price class.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Life is good.

Yeah, I took a look at the RL yesterday and could not understand what was 10,000 better than the TL.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
10,000?
Actually 14, 000 especially when you figure that the TL is going out the door with a small discount while the RL is not (yet).

I can't convince anyone of the value added for the RL but all I can say is that Acura added just the right extra features to make this the car for me. Similarly they left out most of the features that I would prefer NOT to pay for. The only extras that I am paying for that I would prefer not to (and this is just me personally) are the Xenon lights, fog lights, rear power shade, moon roof (rarely use) and On-star. Otherwise the car is equipped just right and couldn't be happier with the quality so far.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
Yeah, I took a look at the RL yesterday and could not understand what was 10,000 better than the TL.
Let's see...

30 more hp.
28 lb-ft. more torque.
SH-AWD
On-Star telematics
Rear sunshades
Navi system with real time traffic
Swiveling directional headlights
Noise-cancellation system for the interior
Paddle-shifters on the steering column
Keyless/smart key system

and so on...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004MT6TL
that's what I said about the TL with my TSX....

there are lots of differences as CG pointed out...but they might not be the differences that matter to you....
Old 12-01-2004, 08:07 AM
6th Gear

Cost justification

I just got my RL about a month ago. This car is fantastic. I should tell you that I have had in the past 5 years a 2000 911, 2000 CL ( my snow car for the 911), 2000 E300, 1999 SLK (a POS - traded it in for the 911) , 2001 BMW 740i (was force to trade in the 911 by the wife once we had our 2nd. child and got my 2nd speeding ticket clocked over 100) and an acura mdx (which I stilll have and love). The botton line is that for the cost, the RL is worth every penny. While my favorite car was the 911, a growing family took care of that.

Just compare it to the 525i with all the extras Navi, xm, ect. and you will see that it comes to about 50K. The RL gives you 75 extra HP, SH AWD, the navi has trarrfic info, a better radio (about 100x better), and the bottom line the car's quality is better than BMW. The RL handels better than the BMWs 3,5, and 7 series.

The same is true with the E class, and S class as well as the Audis. If you want to compare that to the M3 or S4? Thats like trying to compare the 911 to the RL. Not the same kind of car. Compare those to the NSX.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Outnumbered at home

what do you think is a fair price?

Is 50gs too much for a bimmer, mercedes,

Is any car worth 50gs? Some would say no to this. If you want a cheap car you buy a cheap car. If you want a larger, solid, packed with features car you have to shell out some money.

Again, what do you think it should be worth?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'd get the TL, the best sedan Acura has offered since the Legends. I love Acuras but $50k is a lot for a techy Accord. The RL is not very distinctive. In this price range, the Germans hold value much better. The RL is better than a Buick or a Lincoln, but Cadillac will outsell it.

Not saying the RL is bad, it's way better than the previous lux boat, what an embarrassment that was, jeez.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Drifting

IF you want the navigation then the RL is probably priced fair.

But you don't have the choice of ommitting it.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

Infinite problems

I just sold my INFINITI FX45. The vehicle was plagued with rattles. Had low quality interior workmanship and the worst leather I have ever seen. MY INFINITI had lots of little annoying things that led to a unhappy ownership experience. I found that INFINITI had lousy customer support and a scarce dealer network. Their designs, while cutting edge, rapidly become dated.

All of these factors contributed to a low resale value.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an '05 RL, however at the last minute decided that after taking a $15k hit on my FX that I just couldn't stomach buying another $50k car.

No matter how good the new Infiniti M45 turns out to be I would not buy one.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imalowan
I just got my RL about a month ago. This car is fantastic. I should tell you that I have had in the past 5 years a 2000 911, 2000 CL ( my snow car for the 911), 2000 E300, 1999 SLK (a POS - traded it in for the 911) , 2001 BMW 740i (was force to trade in the 911 by the wife once we had our 2nd. child and got my 2nd speeding ticket clocked over 100) and an acura mdx (which I stilll have and love). The botton line is that for the cost, the RL is worth every penny. While my favorite car was the 911, a growing family took care of that.

Just compare it to the 525i with all the extras Navi, xm, ect. and you will see that it comes to about 50K. The RL gives you 75 extra HP, SH AWD, the navi has trarrfic info, a better radio (about 100x better), and the bottom line the car's quality is better than BMW. The RL handels better than the BMWs 3,5, and 7 series.

The same is true with the E class, and S class as well as the Audis. If you want to compare that to the M3 or S4? Thats like trying to compare the 911 to the RL. Not the same kind of car. Compare those to the NSX.
Thanks for the comparisons. I've also owned quite a few cars... '01 GS300, '02 A6 4.2, '03 SC430, '04 TL... and I agree with you. The RL is worth every penny. I'll admit that every one of the other cars was more distinctive than the RL, but none of them had the balance of features this car has. The RL has the best balance of ride/handling I've ever seen, along with fit/finish to rival Lexus or Audi. It does everything well.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Have you had a chance to compare SHAWD to quattro? I'd be interested to hear your impressions.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Master in Science

Just get a TSX... You'll save $20k and be very happy.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ I'd imagine... that's not the researched answer.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by sauceman
^^ I'd imagine... that's not the researched answer.
If you need a group of strangers to convince you to spend $50K, you need to re-evaluate your process of purchasing a car...
Old 12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hemants
Have you had a chance to compare SHAWD to quattro? I'd be interested to hear your impressions.
I traded the Audi in 9/02, so it's kind of hard to remember. What I do remember is that it handled like it was on rails. I also had the sport suspension, so I'm sure that helped, although the sport seats were like torture (and I'm only 5'9", 160 lbs). The other thing I remember is the lag of the V-8 and/or transmission from a standstill. Almost got rear-ended a couple of times trying to change lanes in traffic. The V-8 had a sweet exhaust note and lots of "go" in the mid-range but was pretty slow off the line.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
You bought Legends (brand new I assume)

Adjusting for inflation, they'd be close to $50,000 today.

And admit it, the RL is a far superior car.

If you are talking about new gadgets in the car, yes, the RL is superior. But than, the look is not as good looking as the Legend Coupe. I have my Legend coupe since 94 and I still love it. Not even my 05 M3 can really compare with the Legend coupe.

Also, the 50k price is really fair. When i got my coupe in 1994, the msrp is 41000. The MSRP in MY 95 was 45k. Assume you add 500 bucks for the oem fog light, 500 for oem CD changer, 2000 for navigation.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slo007
If you need a group of strangers to convince you to spend $50K, you need to re-evaluate your process of purchasing a car...
Agreed. If you can afford to spend the $$, purchase whatever vehicle justifies the purchase for you.

For me it was the RL and I have not looked back
Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Let's see...

30 more hp.
28 lb-ft. more torque.
SH-AWD
On-Star telematics
Rear sunshades
Navi system with real time traffic
Swiveling directional headlights
Noise-cancellation system for the interior
Paddle-shifters on the steering column
Keyless/smart key system

and so on...
I seriously shopped the RL before buying a TL.

Actually the price difference is more than 10k.
RL has more HP and torque but is slower in acceleration. You definitely had to rev the RL more to make it go even though Acura tried to work the drivetrain ratios to mask this. Add to this the almost laughable addition of paddle shifters on a car that really doesn't have much sport bias (arguably) and it more like they added them just to say they could.

No touch screen on the navi was a big let down. Neither the RL nor TL's voice commands are super fast to respond.

Yes you get swiveling headlights but that is offset by not being bi-xenon which is actually a bigger plus to me.

I have On-Star on my MB, didn't renew it after the free subscription period.

Keyless smart system. I've used them on many cars not a realy big deal for me. You can get this even on a Toyota Prius. Major drag when the battery is almost dead. Got stuck with this situation in Europe and it wasn't pleasant.

While the noise cancellation system is nice I didn't think it was much if at all quiter on the roads I drive on.

Real time traffic info would be nice with the nav but it's not available in my area anyway.

Now add in the RL's minuses:

Poor fuel economy but hey at this price if you can afford the car you can afford the fuel but the real kicker for me would be the tiny range before refueling.

Styling more akin to an Accord than something costing 50k. If I am spending this kind of cash on a car I want something that is a little more inspired in the looks department and is not going to be confused with an Accord at half the price. I would like a little more curb appeal without resorting to some boy race type a-spec package.

Why no V8? Again at this price range it should be an option especially given the less than stellar mileage of the RL. If nothing else add the VMC from the Odyessey minivan which is bigger, weighs more AND gets better mileage than the RL. BTW, anyone else notice that the top of the line van gets almost the same torque numbers as the RL and at a lower RPM (250@4500 vs. 260@5000)? RL definitely needs more torque at a lower RPM to move the car well without revving the heck out of it. Audi has figured this out pretty well.

I really wish the car was bigger inside. It doesn't really feel more spacious than the TL. It has less headroom, legroom and hiproom than the TL up front. The car actually went down in car class compelled to the last version.

I probably would have bought an RL if it had a stronger motor and more distinctive styling. I would have regretted though not having a touch screen nav and the bi-xenon lights and probably been unhappy with the mileage and range. I would have liked the AWD system because of where I live but in the current package it would have been too many trade-offs for me. RL is a nice car but as it is I don't think it's worth 15K more than the TL. It really isn't that much more luxurious inside than the TL but then again I'm not a big fan of wood interiors.

At 50-60k I'd seriously be looking at a E series MB. I'd take Euro delivery and save 7% or so. That put an E500 4Matic in the price range of the RL. You'd get a 7 speed automatic (if RWD, 5spd if 4matic), lots of torque, mileage almost the same but you get a V8, much quicker car, etc. They each have their plusses but I must say while my Acura buying experience was good my MB buying experience was better. Haven't needed Acura service yet but MB was outstanding so far.

RL is a nice car and a good first attempt but at it's price range Honda/Acura needs to go back to their part's bins and pull the VCM off the Odyssey and give a little more torque. Drive the MB and see the difference in the low end pull and you'll see what I mean. I had one for a rental car in Europe and it made the RL seem how to put |in the voice of Ahhhnold| like a "girly man". The RL just doesn't have the effortless speed of it's peers and considering it's supposed to be Acura's "flagship" it was a little disappointing even though the numbers looked not terrible on paper.

For those who bought RLs and like them great. I am waiting for ver 2.0 before climbing aboard. I'll buy one if they can address some of the issues that are important to me.

Quick Reply: someone help me justify spending 50k for this car