AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   someone help me justify spending 50k for this car (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/someone-help-me-justify-spending-50k-car-495600/)

frebay 11-17-2004 12:16 PM

someone help me justify spending 50k for this car

I have been driving only Acuras my whole entire life.. I started w/ a 92 Acura Vigor, then a 94 Legend Sedan, and currently driving a 94 6spd Legend Coupe (which i love)

I 6spd in LA traffic is killing so I was going to go forth w/ the TL, but wanted to wait until the RL came out. I test drove it at the test drive event last Friday, and the car was ok....

Someone tell me y i should purchase this car over the TL, 530, or E 320. I really want to stay w/ acura, but I don't think 50k is worth it for the RL.

justinjsw 11-17-2004 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by frebay
I have been driving only Acuras my whole entire life.. I started w/ a 92 Acura Vigor, then a 94 Legend Sedan, and currently driving a 94 6spd Legend Coupe (which i love)

I 6spd in LA traffic is killing so I was going to go forth w/ the TL, but wanted to wait until the RL came out. I test drove it at the test drive event last Friday, and the car was ok....

Someone tell me y i should purchase this car over the TL, 530, or E 320. I really want to stay w/ acura, but I don't think 50k is worth it for the RL.

You said the car was just ok...what do you not like about it?

Too slow? Not sporty enough? Too big? etc.....

Ken1997TL 11-17-2004 12:47 PM

You bought Legends (brand new I assume)

Adjusting for inflation, they'd be close to $50,000 today.

And admit it, the RL is a far superior car.

CGTSX2004 11-17-2004 12:57 PM

Why over TL:
1. RL is a bigger car, more HP, and SH-AWD
2. RL has all features included in price tag.
3. RL interior quality is a step up from even the TL

Why over 530:
1. Equally equipped 530 will cost significantly more
2. RL has way more power and SH-AWD
3. Acura reliability is better than BMW
4. RL has more interior room.

Why over E320:
1. RL has more power and SH-AWD
2. Equally equipped E320 will cost significantly more
3. Acura reliability is better than MB
4. RL has more interior room.

Both the 530 and the E320 cost over $5k more when comparably equipped. Is that $5k really worth the money?

dseag2 11-17-2004 01:25 PM

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense for me to tell you why you should spend $50k for ANY car. If you don't feel the car is worth it then don't buy it. If you can't justify purchasing it over one of the others you will most likely never be happy with it.

The RL met all of my needs. That's why I'm 1) trading in my TL and 2) not going with one of the others. That's why it's worth $50k for me. You need to decide what your needs are and go from there. Price is related to personal satisfaction, and no one else can make those decisions for you.

legendguy 11-17-2004 01:26 PM

Versus 530i: To avoid the dreaded iDrive, RLs buttons are just faster.
Versus E320: RL athough technically heavier just feels more like a drivers car
Versus either: less $
The RL has goodies galore (keyless, memory seat-wheel-mirrors, XM, great Nav, xenons, voice control, 6-CD, SH-AWD, power shade, power-retract rear-headrests). The TL has some of these but not all and doesn't have as luxurious a feel. Is it worth $16K difference? That's a tough one, but it was for me. As Ken pointed out your '94 Legend would adjust to 50K today.

chabanais 11-17-2004 01:27 PM

Buy 3 Civics instead. The RL is a nice car but you are really the one who needs to convince yourself there... You won't get too much cachet with an RL nameplate, but it is a great car and you'll know that.

DCRL 11-17-2004 02:07 PM

Perhaps you should check out the December issue of Smart Money Magazine. There's a comparison of the RL and the BMW, Caddy, and Audi A6. The author selects the RL as the winner, dubbing it "best mid-size luxury car".

Those are my sentiments exactly (I bought the RL)!

I'd scan in the article, but this site's posting rules (for me anyway) say "you may not post attachments".

frebay 11-17-2004 02:24 PM

thanks for the reply, most likely i will stay w/ the RL, probably need some more time test driving it. i agree it's most bang for your buck.

Originally Posted by justinjsw
You said the car was just ok...what do you not like about it?

Too slow? Not sporty enough? Too big? etc.....

goldendragon576 11-17-2004 04:51 PM

where do you want me to begin?

J RIDE 81 11-17-2004 05:51 PM

Rather have the RL over the other 2 choices anyday!

Hilo05RL 11-17-2004 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by legendguy
Versus 530i: To avoid the dreaded iDrive, RLs buttons are just faster.
Versus E320: RL athough technically heavier just feels more like a drivers car
Versus either: less $
The RL has goodies galore (keyless, memory seat-wheel-mirrors, XM, great Nav, xenons, voice control, 6-CD, SH-AWD, power shade, power-retract rear-headrests). The TL has some of these but not all and doesn't have as luxurious a feel. Is it worth $16K difference? That's a tough one, but it was for me. As Ken pointed out your '94 Legend would adjust to 50K today.

I couldn't agree more! Picked mine up last Friday afternoon and all I can say is that this is one SWEET car! It drives superbly in spite of its hefty 4,030 lbs; it is supremely comfortable; and the features are beyond amazing.

I had a downpayment on a 2005 Corvette since April 1st of this year and when GM sat with it for more than a month on the Bowling Green factory lot... and no threat issued got it moved... I cancelled the order, all the while considering the Bimmer and the Benz as you are. But, I have to say now that I am SO GLAD I cancelled on the Vette and opted over the other choices for the RL. Go for it! You won't be sorry!

iamhomin 11-17-2004 09:54 PM

Test drive all three cars and see how your feel.

EluSiOn 11-18-2004 01:23 AM

Don't get me wrong! 05RL is a great car! Although it has 300 bhp but it is not faster than 270bhp 04TL. It is because 05RL is 550lb heavier. However, if you compare stock 04TL vs stock 05RL handling ability, you will find 05RL handles x2 better than 04TL.

05RL definately desire a price tag worth $50k! Great quality interior, superb handling, noise cancellation technology, tire pressure monitor, heated seat, defrost side mirror, switch controlled rear seat headrest, 10 spk bose 5.1 audio system and etc.

However, it is just not the car for me because I don't need on-Star, xm-trafficlink (does not offer in my area), Navigation System and etc.

In the end, you need to ask for yourself, what do you want from a car and decide if it is the right car for you.

PeterUbers 11-18-2004 08:28 AM

Maybe you outta put your $50k into a 1-2 yr old German car that has already taken a nice depreciation hit .. and enjoy the luxury/status/etc. that you aren't finding in the RL.

I'd even consider a used LS430 off a 1 or 2 year lease... Lexus reliability, a phenomenal pre-driven warranty, Lexus service/customer care.

Acuraluvr 11-18-2004 02:48 PM

yes, the lexus is what id call the best luxo car (dont shoot me) but it's not really in the rl's class. The lexus is the flagship while the gs series is the opponent of the rl, 5series etc. Even tho, we test drove the tl and the beemer and found the tl was superior in all ways (except thats it fwd) the beemer costs 10-20 grand over the tl and 5-7 grand over the rl. The e320 alsos falls short ot the tl but bests it in the rear seat but not in the rl. The rl has soooooo many toys in the rl and an awesome sound system, using dvda... no brainer

w1n78 11-18-2004 04:17 PM

i work from san bernardino to l.a. and drive an 04 TL. i was considering a trade in to the RL but was dissapointed after checking it out. though i didn't test drive it, i thought about the differences between the 2 and IMO wasn't worth it

1) SH-AWD - we live in So. Cali, when will we be using this? wouldn't an AWD be better w/ a truck/suv/performance sedan (STI,Evo) and not on a luxury car :dunno:

2) 300HP - 30HP difference from my TL. i doubt i even used the 270 in my car

3) larger interior - most of the time i'm alone. if not i have one other passenger and that's it

4) keyless entry/starter - do you really need it? i mean it's a cool feature but is it worth the extra $$$

5) touchscreen (TL) vs iNav (RL)

6) up to the minute traffic report - only available in some areas. would be cool to use during the commute but think about it, i bet you already know short cuts if there was traffic on the freeway. heck, i don't have an RL and i know my way around the traffic in most places in So. Cali. and if i don't i just turn to my navi and search for a street i'm familiar w/ and take it

those were the biggest features i looked at and i still have my TL. as for the other 2, you'll spend as much or more than the RL. hope this helps and if you go for the TL, i'll be more than happy to accept all the money you saved ;)

hemants 11-21-2004 10:21 AM

Everything about this car is worth $50k except the exterior design.

I mean for that price I expect more than an oversize Accord.

I hate to be blunt but I'm very dissappointed that they stuck with the RL's tradition of boring (okay, they took a step in the right direction but not a big enough step)

SiGGy 11-21-2004 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Maybe you outta put your $50k into a 1-2 yr old German car that has already taken a nice depreciation hit .. and enjoy the luxury/status/etc. that you aren't finding in the RL.

I'd even consider a used LS430 off a 1 or 2 year lease... Lexus reliability, a phenomenal pre-driven warranty, Lexus service/customer care.

Yes, I agree 100%. Best post in this thread.

And yes, the new RL does look boring (like an oversized accord).

M3 would be a car to look at.

If you need someone else word on why to buy the car you need to re-think this entire idea. :rolleyes:

DCRL 11-21-2004 02:05 PM

The Beholder...

Love reading posts where people dish the new RL's looks.

I drive my new RL through downtown D.C. and get looks, compliments, and people on the sidewalk screaming their approval.

Real life belies the bemoaning beholders anyday.

legendguy 11-21-2004 02:13 PM

Orinally posted by PeterUbers: Maybe you outta put your $50k into a 1-2 yr old German car that has already taken a nice depreciation hit .. and enjoy the luxury/status/etc. that you aren't finding in the RL.
You know, I get tired of folks comparing buying a new car to a used car. It becomes an apples versus oranges thing because not everyone wants the used car experience. Some of us prefer to know that the history of the car is known and that we won't be buying someone else's lemon or disappointment. This is not to say that a upper end beemer or lexus willl have problems (it is unlikely given that most are driven by sane, responsible people) but you never know.

Of course, there are many ways of saving money on a car. It is a rapidly depreciating asset after all. I am just saying that, for the purposes of a thread like this, unless the person is asking for used car buying advice we should compare this new car to other new ones available. The RL beats anything comparable that the germans or lexus have to offer in terms of value for the product (status not included). In a couple years, when the 2nd gen RL has some used cars available, then we can speculate where the same amount of cash might be best spent (BTW, the answer rarely is on any car due to depreciation). My .02

Bitium 11-21-2004 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DCRL
Love reading posts where people dish the new RL's looks.

I drive my new RL through downtown D.C. and get looks, compliments, and people on the sidewalk screaming their approval.

Real life belies the bemoaning beholders anyday.

Don't worry, they just don't know shit or have bad taste.

Bitium 11-21-2004 02:20 PM

If the RL is not worth $50k I don't know what is :dunno: I mean really what other car is worth more for $50k NONE. Are there better cars ? to some people yes, but trust me there is nothing better than the RL overall. Now I do wish you could get some of the stuff the legend gets just to smash the competition.

2003type-s6 11-21-2004 02:45 PM

Man, for the 50G's range you could get an M3, a nice S4 or S6, forget an RL, that's too much for me.

Ken1997TL 11-21-2004 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2003type-s6
Man, for the 50G's range you could get an M3, a nice S4 or S6, forget an RL, that's too much for me.

Yeah and lose a lot of features and comfort in the process.

Different strokes for different folks.

eaRL 11-21-2004 07:24 PM

I brake for Japanese...

I cannot tell you why you should or should not. Don't buy an RL, more room on the road for mine.

One important checkmark for the German's, though; The brakes on the 545 and the E class (and others I'm sure) are superior to most of their Japanese counterparts. This is sort of a rant but I would consider the RL vs. the E320 or the 545 to be apples to apples in most catagories 'except' braking. If this is an important aspect of the car, it is a good reason to NOT buy the RL.

legendguy 11-21-2004 09:01 PM

GO TL wrote: One important checkmark for the German's, though; The brakes on the 545 and the E class (and others I'm sure) are superior to most of their Japanese counterparts.
Well, not ALL Japanese cars. According to these figures (copied from Justinjsw from the "What's up with the braking" thread) the TL and Infinity G35 do quite fine thankyou.

Acura TL...3,472(MT)-3,564(AT)lbs 70mph-0 160' C/D 3/04
BMW 530I 3,500-3,600lbs 70mph-0 167' C/D 1/04
Infiniti G35 3,450-3,550lbs 70mph-0 164' C/D 3/04
MB E320 3,500-3,600lbs 70mph-0 166' C/D 3/03

Acura RL 3,984lbs 70mph-0 180' C/D 12/04
Lincoln LS V8 3,800lbs 70mph-0 178' C/D 3/03
Lexus GS300 3,700lbs70mph-0 178' C/D 3/03
Volvo S80 2.5T AWD 3,750lbs 70mph-0 197' C/D 11/03
Jaguar S-Type 3.0 3.800lbs 70mph-0 193' C/D 3/03

Also the RL is only 13-14' difference, not bad when you consider the 300-500 weight disadvantage it gives up. So not necessarily the brakes, maybe just weight and weight distribution. I would not worry about the brakes (and I don't at all when driving the RL ... the overall vehicle is actually quite confidence inspiring).

eaRL 11-22-2004 12:28 AM

All != Most

Originally Posted by legendguy
Well, not ALL Japanese cars. According to these figures (copied from Justinjsw from the "What's up with the braking" thread) the TL and Infinity G35 do quite fine thankyou.

Well you are welcome for nothing I guess. I said MOST but I'm not trying to split hairs here. I thought of the G35 as a possible exception here but after test driving the G35 Coupe I passed on it for a few different reasons but the major reason was the brakes were too damn clampy. They did not have a nice steady braking curve. It seemed like it was all or nothing at all. The E320 and the SLK320 I have driven were more like the RL and TL. They were more assuring like you say.

To each his own. If I had to choose I'd rather have a more aggressive braking system than no brakes at all. Also, I think justin had some "funny numbers" in his post. I would not trust any thing he says anyway.

Linnley 11-22-2004 09:03 AM

WOW...this is my kinda POST(s)...lovin the chat!

Originally Posted by Bitium
If the RL is not worth $50k I don't know what is :dunno: I mean really what other car is worth more for $50k NONE. Are there better cars ? to some people yes, but trust me there is nothing better than the RL overall. Now I do wish you could get some of the stuff the legend gets just to smash the competition.

Okay, I am not alone, 69Gs + %15tax all in CDN funds is A LOT of MONEY!!!!!

It becomes a matter of WANT vs NEED.....regarding all the bells and whisles...

The original dude that posted said the RL test drive was "ok"....ouch baby ouch.

To me this guy sounds like he appreciates HISTORY, nice older used CARS...specifically ACURAs.

In another year or so, pickup a used TL....if you want power and responce get the 6sp and if you want "computer controlled" power (read less power) get the AUTOmatic....

For something completely different, go test drive some other makes of cars...you'll hopefully get inspiration and fall in love with something....forsure your not INLOVE with the RL...so (for now) its a no go.....

just my 2 cents worth....BAD RED BLOCK GUY!!!!!!!

justinjsw 11-22-2004 09:33 AM

To each his own. If I had to choose I'd rather have a more aggressive braking system than no brakes at all. Also, I think justin had some "funny numbers" in his post. I would not trust any thing he says anyway.
Funny numbers? Explain

Not trust anything I say? Thats your prerogative.

CGTSX2004 11-22-2004 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by GO_TL

You had better get off of your pedestal before you get knocked down. If you took the time to do a search on the TSX community, you'd find that justin may just be the person to listen to.

deandorsey 11-22-2004 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by GO_TL
Well you are welcome for nothing I guess. I said MOST but I'm not trying to split hairs here. I thought of the G35 as a possible exception here but after test driving the G35 Coupe I passed on it for a few different reasons but the major reason was the brakes were too damn clampy. They did not have a nice steady braking curve. It seemed like it was all or nothing at all. The E320 and the SLK320 I have driven were more like the RL and TL. They were more assuring like you say.

LOL you doubt the oracle?

hemants 11-22-2004 11:48 AM

No one is saying the RL is ugly, but let's keep things in perspective :

http://images.intellichoice.com/Medi...%5D%5D4552.gif

http://www.eriqc.com/media/wallpaper/audi_rs6.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/1...rl.f34.500.jpg

CGTSX2004 11-22-2004 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hemants

Let's compare apples to apples here...

I have edited your post to reflect what should be compared to the two other pictures you posted.

hemants 11-22-2004 01:13 PM

Agreed. The Aspec package makes a huge difference.

But it still looks a bit like an oversized riced up accord or civic.

Even the base E320 looks better IMHO

https://www.theautochannel.com/N/new...53913.1-lg.jpg

CGTSX2004 11-22-2004 03:00 PM

Agreed. The Aspec package makes a huge difference.

But it still looks a bit like an oversized riced up accord or civic.

Even the base E320 looks better IMHO

https://www.theautochannel.com/N/new...53913.1-lg.jpg

That's rather subjective. I don't find the MB cars particularly inspiring. Frankly, I don't really find automotive stylings to be inspiring in general as of late. Only exceptions are the ultra high-end exotics.

phile 11-22-2004 03:26 PM

The only car from Mercedes that I think is attractive is the S-Class. The E-Class has all the chrome and shiny paint to dress it up...but its overall design is quite uninspiring.

hemants 11-22-2004 03:51 PM

I dunno about that...

http://www.carhoo.co.jp/union2/image/amg-e55_02b.jpg

CGTSX2004 11-22-2004 04:13 PM

For comparison sakes...

http://photos.imageevent.com/soopa/2...L_ASPEC_03.jpg

gocubsgo55 11-22-2004 04:49 PM

look if you're going to compare the E55 AMG to something, compare it to an M5 and RS6, not an RL A-SPEC. Sure the A-SPEC package adds sportiness, but Acura did not include it to do battle with M and AMG. The sport models of the Germans go for 70-80k, the RL A-SPEC will be around 53-54k. It adds a more aggressive look, better wheels/tires, better suspension, and minor interior upgrades. Never in their mind would Acura allow for the RL to do battle with an M5.

Now, when comparing LIKE cars (RL, E320, 530i), I believe the RL has it won in everything but prestige (which I really don't care that much about) and looks. The naivity that people have makes them wonder why they are paying 50k for a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. For that much, people want to say they own a Bimmer or Benz. It rolls off the tongue better. Plus, in my opinion, the Germans look much classier. However, the japs are getting that right. The RL looks very classy, the GS concept looked great, and I'm sure the Fuga (Infiniti M) will look classy as well.

Only my opinion.

Oh, and about this Justin=unreliable thing...

When I was new I asked nicely if he knew what he was talking about and he explained who he was/what he knew. Please, have some respect. Don't just come onto the board and act like nobody knows anything. If you want your question asked, listen to what people have to say. Don't take this like I'm angry, I just wanted to let you know that this board is filled with nice people who know a thing or two. Justin knows everything about Acuras :D