Some advice on a recurring rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some advice on a recurring rattle

Hey everybody.

I have about 53,000 miles on my '05 RL. There was a rattle behind the NAV unit that was diagnosed as loose piece of plastic for the windshield defroster. Car was in the shop for 3 days last spring (2007) and supposedly fixed. They took the entire dashboard off.

Now with the different climate changes (cold/hot) the rattle is back. I have an extended warranty and I am going to visit the dealer.

Question:

1. I can't seem to find my original sheet that noted the fixed repair. Will they have it in the computer at the same dealer.
2. Will the dealer ask for $$ since rattles aren't really covered under the Acura extended warranty.
3. Should I call the worthless Acura Customer Care?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by static808
Hey everybody.

I have about 53,000 miles on my '05 RL. There was a rattle behind the NAV unit that was diagnosed as loose piece of plastic for the windshield defroster. Car was in the shop for 3 days last spring (2007) and supposedly fixed. They took the entire dashboard off.

Now with the different climate changes (cold/hot) the rattle is back. I have an extended warranty and I am going to visit the dealer.

Question:

1. I can't seem to find my original sheet that noted the fixed repair. Will they have it in the computer at the same dealer.
2. Will the dealer ask for $$ since rattles aren't really covered under the Acura extended warranty.

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your specific questions, but thought I would mention a "rattle" in my own experience from what seemed to be coming from the same area you have mentioned. I post this FWIW and apologize in advance that it is OT to your problem.

Are you using a windshield mount Valentine 1? Right after I had a new windshield put in, a small "rattle" developed from what seemed to be behind the dash. After some fooling around I discovered that the "rattle" was the interface between the rubber on the back of the Valentine 1 and whatever was on (or not on) the new windshield...sounded just like a rattle from behind the dash.

'05RL delivery date June, '05
111,000+ miles
Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by static808

Thanks in advance.
If your dealer is like mine, they keep your entire repair history in a computer and you should be able to find the information just by asking. I don' t think calling ACS will be helpful unless the dealer is not helpful. As far as the dealer asking for money....don't know the answer to that one.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
FYI, if you make your appointment via Ownerlink, the repair history will be kept there also.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Racer

Thanks everybody, I believe my dealer keeps the repair history. I will be calling them tomorrow. Actually, I am not using anything on the windshield. Once I get an update, I'll post the information.

I would imagine the reoccurring issue should be "grandfathered" until they fix it. I'll let you all know
Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Racer

I am going to the dealer tomorrow. My car has 53k miles, I have an extended warranty but it doesn't cover rattles, etc..; which I knew before buying the warranty. I do have the original work slip that shows that they "repaired" the problem but as mentioned, its still there.

What are the chances that the dealer does the work and bills Acura. I am worried that they might pull a fast one on me and say its not covered. Then I'll go nuts on Acura Care since its a vent duct that's loose.

Any opinions?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't most dealer repairs covered for 12 months /12,000 miles, whichever comes first?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
If your dealer is like mine, they keep your entire repair history in a computer and you should be able to find the information just by asking. I don' t think calling ACS will be helpful unless the dealer is not helpful. As far as the dealer asking for money....don't know the answer to that one.
I'd guess most if not all Acura dealers have the detailed repair histories available. Whenever I have work done, as soon as I get home, I stick all paperwork in a 3-ring binder. Stick it on top and you have a reverse chronologic file. Also nice to have when you go to sell the car.

LL