SHO vs. RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
SHO vs. RL

I was browsing the Ford website and came across this comparo of the SHO and RL, as well as others in various tests.

Checkout this video of the RL vs. the new Taurus SHO in interior quietness:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/2010taur.../demos/video04

Be patient, the page takes about 30 secs to load. If you have 56k, forget it!! sorry
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take the RL over the new SHO anyday.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

uuuhhh....it's still a "ford"...sorry no comparison the Acura - not even on the same planet...!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting to say the least.

I wonder how the test result would factor in when both sedans are started up and the RL’s ANC (Active Noise Cancellation System) goes in effect? It is also funny how they don’t show the RL’s interior at all in this comparison.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny how they didn't compare: Overall reliability, Resale Value, Maintenance, Luxury, Performance....I can go on and on.

Just because a car has 2 (OMG! 2) less dBs of noise cancellation does not mean the entire car is better than the other.

It's just like GM's new commercials stating how all there cars do at least 1 mpg (OMG! 1) better than comparable Honda's. But they never state other major things like reliability, dependability and resale value.

It's all a marketing gimmick to sell their products. Everyone does it.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

I do like the 365HP/Twin Turbo though...but it's still a freaking FORD...!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Ford had to put twin turbo to make the horsepower while the acura is natural aspirated.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

yeah I know, I'm just saying..it's just nice to have 365HP - but don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I would ever buy a ford...sorry ford people out there.........
Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Instructor

That is why acura needs move up and give the RL the horsepower and possibly a bigger engine but the current president is only keeping it a V6. Just have to wait and see what the next RL...
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 AM
2006 Rl

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Its like those commercials comparing Hyundai sonata to a BMW 5series. Funny.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Maybe its just me but I haven't taken very well to the refreshed 2G RL. I would take the new SHO any day over the current RL, but then again I have no qualms with getting a Ford or a Hyundai, especially with the vehicles that the two manufacturers are coming out with now. Comparing the 2005-08 RL with any Ford sedan from 05-08 on the other hand, I would take the RL every time.

That's sad that there still are people out there that would never buy a Ford. But then again, there are also people out there that would never buy a Honda/Acura, which is unfortunate also.

Who would have ever thought a Taurus interior would have looked like this?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Looks like a Ford interior to me - nothing special at all.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
This video is sketchy -- as we all know, Acura saved weight (and the use of sound deadening materials) on the RL by using the ANC system.

The real question is whether the ANC system was on during this video?

I think we can guess the answer to that one
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Pro

I think the interior is pretty good on the Ford.

It will be a long time before I buy a Ford though.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Test Drive

I drove a 2010 Taurus Ltd and a 2010 Taurus SEL last week and a 2010 twin turbo Lincoln MKS (SHO not in-stock yet). Very impressive cars. I would not want trade my current RL for one, but with Acura's current styling trend and the Taurus price/value proposition, I would consider a SHO when it comes time to replace the RL (just wish they would offer a short throw 6 speed).

1st domestic car I would actually consider in many years. Lots of great high tech features, great seats, great ergonomics, cool dash, huge trunk, and actually drives well. Some orange peel in the paint (almost as much as a BMW 3 series paint finish) but it is not the hand finished RL paint work and neither is the price.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have been very anti Ford after my former MerKur, Thunderburd Turbo Coupe and Thunderbird SC all fell apart days after factory warranty. I loved the cars, but the durability was never there. And so many Ford interiors look like they need an embossed 'Rubbermaid' logo.

But of late, I am impressed with what they are binging to market. Still in the US we do not have some models in Europe that caught my eye. The European Corsica, Focus and even the econo Ka are attractive and well made vehicles. The Taurus is the closest to that in the USA.

It is flattering the RL was used to benchmark and compare the Taurus. That is if you consider benchmarking your car to a model long on the tooth, on the market without significant change for 5+ years and technology designed 7+ years past.

Although MicroSoft Sync does some neat stuff, like the materials of the interior, it just does not have that detailed refinement and richness. Visual impact alone, or even an options comparo does not capture the tactile feel and durable essence that RL continues to impress upon me.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
That comparo is way off. They said the Taurus is $20K less than the RL. The SHO costs $45K. I know you can get a barebones Taurus for cheap, but that doesn't have the features displayed in those comparos. I love the SHO, but it is way too expensive. If they knocked $10K of the price, it would out sell the whole Acura lineup combined.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
That comparo is way off. They said the Taurus is $20K less than the RL. The SHO costs $45K. I know you can get a barebones Taurus for cheap, but that doesn't have the features displayed in those comparos. I love the SHO, but it is way too expensive. If they knocked $10K of the price, it would out sell the whole Acura lineup combined.
Yeap - look below, the SHO is almost $40k, not a good price for a ford....
and why do you need 6 different model of the same F***ing car...

2010 Ford Poorus Sedan

SE - FWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $25k
SEL - FWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $27k
SEL - AWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $29k
Limited - FWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $31k
Limited - AWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $33k
SHO - AWD - 3.5L V6 Auto - $37k

Acura RL
Priceless....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ That's the barebones SHO. If you add all the options (Nav, Performance Package, Adaptive cruise, etc) it's $45K. It still kills me that performance package is not standard on a performance car.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What. The. Fsck?

Comparing a Ford to mid-level luxury cars FTL.

I get their point, that they designed the Taurus/SHO well and please try it out if you want a luxurious family hauler.

I don't think many luxury buyers are going to buy a Ford.

I do think Acura needs to step up the engine offerings to compete in the luxury world. twin-turbo J37 anyone?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the price point it is more comparable to TL than RL.... for all other scales of comparision (Luxury, reliability, etc) it is far behind a TL leave alone a RL... the department that it does score high points over TL would be the looks
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Yep, ANC not activated unless car is running. I can bet it was not on during the comparo.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ford and GM have always utilized advertising companies that stretch the limits in comparing to other makes. In fact the Germans and Japanese makes rarely if ever compare to the domestics. Why is that? Because the American public are smarter than what Ford/GM would like to think. Cars sell on their virtues, and though a few will get suckered into their advertising, most do not.

Having owned well over 50+ cars including many from GM/Ford, etc there is simply no way I would purchase another regardless of how much HP or what it will pull on a skidpad. Why? I absolutely dislike the companies. Extreme arrogance, BS advertising, overall build quality, and poor snobbish dealership experience.

My last Fusion was an absolute POS. Of the 10+ trips to the dealer within 2 years, on one occasion I complained about the noise the a/c compressor was making. This was at Simi Valley Ford. The service manager-an obvious ignorant moron-proceeded to tell me is was normal, which it was not. The a/c compressor went out 2 months later in the desert (HOT), and 112 miles after mile warranty expired. Guess what? Ford would not cover it, even though I mentioned it to Simi Valley Ford prior to the warranty expiring. Thus fordfusionsucks.com which I need to spend some time with.

My 2nd most unreliable car? 1987 Ford Taurus. Fuel sending unit, cluster, fuel pump, entire braking system failure (master cylinder and booster), etc. Again, poor dealer service. This was from Foothill Ford in Fontana,CA. which later closed as the owner was busted for drug dealing south of the border-go figure.

Ford?? Even with 800hp and anti gravity suspension, never again.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear

Have you driven a Ford lately? <-- sarcasm

SHO should be compared to TL not RL anyway. Ford overpriced this car, or they should have used a different/new name, otherwise I would not have a problem saying it is comparable to Acura, and Ford has improved their quality substantially.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The interior on the TL blows the taurus away. The interior looks plastic-y on the ford.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ecotec
Have you driven a Ford lately? <-- sarcasm

SHO should be compared to TL not RL anyway. Ford overpriced this car, or they should have used a different/new name, otherwise I would not have a problem saying it is comparable to Acura, and Ford has improved their quality substantially.
Oh I know - we call it "Ford Over Price Tauraus"
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by venom550pm
The interior on the TL blows the taurus away. The interior looks plastic-y on the ford.

I take it back, a "Taurus" should be compared to an "Accord" not a TL, but who would pay $35K + for a Taurus?

As far as the interior, the TL should be nicer as it is in the "performance/luxury" part of Honda, whearas the Taurus is supposed to be an entry level midsize ford sedan, this is not a Lincoln even though Ford priced it like one.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I will give it to Ford though, the new Taurus does have outstanding styling. However, when it comes to everything else, a true luxury sedan beats a near luxury sedan anyday. The RL has features that the new gen SHO is just now acquiring (and quite well I might add). So Ford is basing it's finding upon a proven design dating back to 2004. Imagine what the new RL will have when it's redesigned!! It will leave all doubters behind once again.
Acura does have one of the best track records for advancing. This comparison, hopefully, will open the Acura headquarters to distance themselves closer to Tier 1 autos instead of the staus quo.

Last edited by SlimTL; 09-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
Interesting to say the least.

I wonder how the test result would factor in when both sedans are started up and the RL’s ANC (Active Noise Cancellation System) goes in effect? It is also funny how they don’t show the RL’s interior at all in this comparison.
This same video is on YouTube and I made a comment about the fact that the RL has noise cancellation haha. People started telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about?!...it's a good point.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I chuckled a bit the first time I saw this. Kind of ballsy on Ford's part, but the RL is no threat in any way shape or form. Heck, Acura is probably happy they got some free advertising out of the deal. More than they would put into it at this point.

To the "test", my understanding is the ANC system adjusts based on road noise as you drive. The key phrase "as you drive", not sure how active it is while it is sitting there with the headlights on. I would like Tampa's thoughts on that.

I think Ford is coming along with there exterior designs. The new Taurus looks good on the road. I would also reach to say both them and Chevy are producing more attractive looking vehicles in the past few years. They are trying and I respect them for it (though I have no plans to purchase one any time soon).

I will say that is one fine looking RL in the commercial.

Edit: I noticed on the Ford website they also make other performance comparisons vs the A6, LS460 and M45x. At least the RL is in good company.

Last edited by BigKat103; 09-16-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro

I do not believe Ford is reliable, it will be years before we know if they are any more reliable than the past.
I have numerous stories how Ford dealers do not cover warranty items, they just say no, crazy.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Per Hondanews.com......

"ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION™ (ANC)
The 2005 RL introduces a new technology to North America, Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC), which is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency exhaust booming noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the Acura/Bose audio system is on or off. "

The car must simply be turned on. Once power is available to the cabin microphones, the system works, even if the stereo is not powered on.

It does not address all sounds. If you cover the mic, you will here a low 'booming' sound.

However, the latest generation ANC (in 2009 RL and now in other Acura models) addressed a wider frequency range to better address tire howl, which is a higher frequency sound.

The sound insulation techniques that Ford is touting should be commonplace in many mainstream vehicles now. Foam filled body panels, acoustic glass, lightweight insulation and materials and even ANC is showing up in many mainstream cars. Even the new KIA Forte has excellent sound reduction techniques.

However, Acura introduced all of these in 2004 on the current generation RL.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
These types of comparisons annoy me.

The SHO is overpriced and IMO ugly as hell on the exterior. No comparison.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
it's plain to see for an educated person that this comparison is for people who will just asshume SHO is quieter.

I doubt either car was turned on. They obviously had to go over 100db to show any sort of difference, meaning in real world there probably isn't any and if I had to guess the ANC would destroy that difference anyway.

It's a marketing scheme, nothing more.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
I do not believe Ford is reliable, it will be years before we know if they are any more reliable than the past.
I have numerous stories how Ford dealers do not cover warranty items, they just say no, crazy.
Ford doesn't seem to fare too badly (note that the RL is named here specifically):

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...903189970/1078

My anecdote:

I gave my 2000 Ford Expedition to my parents. The vehicle now has over 200k on the odometer and has never had a single problem.

Last edited by up_late; 09-19-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:00 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

So let's say Ford steals away all the RL sales... they sell, what, 150 more cars per month?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Lazy Idiot

We've actually been comparing that Ford to the TL too.

Take a look (Pardon the fanboyish comments of many, including me): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=300289&page=4
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM
2005 MDX & 2006 RL

I got rid of my '95 SHO when buying the '06 RL a few months ago. Even though I'm not comparing the new SHO with the RL, I do think the SHO was faster than the RL, especially when the Yamaha's secondaries kicked in, and from a dead start, I could smoke the front tires nicely. But, for overall ride and enjoyment, I really prefer the RL and think the new Ford interiors are boring.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I've never had anybody compare a Ford to a Benz. Obviously this isn't true for Acura. Maybe that's part of their problem?

Quick Reply: SHO vs. RL