Shaky mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Shaky mirror

Went to the carwash a few weeks ago and noticed afterward that my driver's side mirror has the shakes. Lumps, bump, etc. cause the mirror to shake. So, it seems to have lost its stability. I tried pushing on the mirror and moving it around a bit. Doesn't seem to have helped much if at all.

So, I'm hoping you all have some suggested fixes, because buying a new left side mirror won't be cheap.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had mine replaced. No questions asked from the dealer. Seems to be a problem. I have an 05 RL.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced

I guess I won't mention the "car wash" part of the story.....
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, no need. I tried everything and when my car went in I told the tech to take for a ride on some bumpy roads. Next thing I noticed was a brand new mirror.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was able to fix mine, there is this snap on cover at the bottom of the mirror which you will have to snap off it's place. There's a slot where you can insert what ever tool you will use to snap it off. Get a masking tape, tape off the part of the door that's near the work area to prevent some accidental scratches. Once the cover beneath the mirror is off, you will see screws that you will just then tighten. If it doesn't work then go to the dealership. I know you would rather have the dealership fix it specially if it's under the warranty, but the wait is what bothered me in the first place that's why i decided to give it a go myself.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Advanced

And just wondering, why would you bring your car to a car wash. You can buy no rinse car wash products that you can use to wash your car yourself and prevent scratches and broken parts that a car wash can do to your car. Check out the Wash and Wax section and you will see which to buy and how to use them.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mr_allenp
I was able to fix mine, there is this snap on cover at the bottom of the mirror which you will have to snap off it's place. There's a slot where you can insert what ever tool you will use to snap it off. Get a masking tape, tape off the part of the door that's near the work area to prevent some accidental scratches. Once the cover beneath the mirror is off, you will see screws that you will just then tighten. If it doesn't work then go to the dealership. I know you would rather have the dealership fix it specially if it's under the warranty, but the wait is what bothered me in the first place that's why i decided to give it a go myself.
Had the same issue. Was at the dealer and mentioned to service writer and he was about to order a new mirror when the service director came by and showed him the snap cover to show the tech. Viola no more loose mirror.

Good job on your part.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cwdonahue
Went to the carwash a few weeks ago and noticed afterward that my driver's side mirror has the shakes. Lumps, bump, etc. cause the mirror to shake. So, it seems to have lost its stability. I tried pushing on the mirror and moving it around a bit. Doesn't seem to have helped much if at all.

So, I'm hoping you all have some suggested fixes, because buying a new left side mirror won't be cheap.

Thanks.
i had same problem with my 2005. when i went took it to the dealer at syracuse they said they cant replace it unless they know all 05's have same problem. a week later this guy called me and said all 05's have loose side mirrors. i guess acura noticed this issue because 06's have different parts number and they did not shake. i took it to motorworld (also NY) they chaged it for me w/o a word. dont go servicing in syracuse acura... they just blow..
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwdonahue

Thanks.
On my '05RL, I stuffed a piece of leather shoe lace into the space between the mirror and holder. Works well.

'05RL with delivery June, '05.
81,000+ miles.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 PM
donnie

mine were loose. I noticed they would move when taking off at a redlight, or going over pot holes. The dealer replaced both mirrors at no charge.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies.....

I'll locate the little snap door and break out the screw driver to give it a try on my own first. It's apparent that something is loose, not really broken.

As for why I would go to a carwash....well...it's called lots of business travel to fill up my weeks and a long list of things to do each weekend. I wish I had the time and enegy to wash my own car, but I don't. Also, I've gone to this same carwash since the day then opened. Never had an issue. If anything goes wrong, the owner makes it right.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:58 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Same problem with mine. You just need a STAR KEY or a Hex KEY WRENCH to tighten a couple bolts, I can't remember which one I used. An Allan wrench won't work.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What tool to pop off cover?

What tool did either of you use to pop off the plastic cover? I have the same problem but I'm afraid of damaging the cover/door edge. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Advanced

First, be sure to put some masking tape exactly below the snap off under the mirror to be sure you won't scratch the door in case your screw driver slip. You can probably use those small screw drivers used by jewelers, they will fit in the small gap or just about anything you can fit in there. I used a very small allen wrench, as they are angled, it's easier to use leverage in snapping off that cover. Just remember to put some protection on the the door when you go this way.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_allenp
....I used a very small allen wrench, as they are angled, it's easier to use leverage in snapping off that cover...
Worked like a charm. Was able to get the cover off. The two screws are bolted down pretty darn tight but there is still some play. I think the only solution is to find a couple of rubber/silicon type washers to eliminate the slack space. Thanks mr_allenp.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fafpak
Worked like a charm. Was able to get the cover off. The two screws are bolted down pretty darn tight but there is still some play. I think the only solution is to find a couple of rubber/silicon type washers to eliminate the slack space. Thanks mr_allenp.
The little short piece of leather shoelace poked down into the space between the mirror and the mount is still working great on mine...very satisfying fix, I might add.

'05 RL delivery date June, 05
111,000+ miles.