SH-AWD Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SH-AWD Problems

Right now my 05 RL (was taken in on 10/3) is in service because the SH-Addison’s working. So far they have tried a reset, replaced the sensor, including right rear sensor and have checked for any open all of the electrical wiring. When they run the diagnostics, the code tells them it’s not getting any connectivity. Now they are telling me that is could be mechanical. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Hmm what kind of problem was it doing? More info helps.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

The AWD system is down, I only have front wheel drive
Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
It's a complex system, so it's not outside the realm of possibility it might go on the fritz occasionally, but I haven't seen any reports of widespread problems with it.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My guess is one of the electro-mag clutch/diff is bad.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Thanks for the info
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update: I was informed by service manager last night that the part they think is the problem (the brain for the SH-AWD) is on back order. They have sent an e-mail to see if anyone in Acura Land has the part sitting on a their shelve, but if they can't locate the part one will have to be pulled from the production line. The only good news I was able to upgrade my loaner from a TSX to a TL.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update: As of today the complete electrical system has been replace for the SH-AWD system. Yesterday afternoon a master reset was done remotely from the Honda HQ in Torrance, CA, which was needed to reset the “Brain” of the SH-AWD. The master reset did not solve the problem, because the system still isn't working. I was told late yesterday evening that a new wiring harness was order, which was suggested by Honda HQ that this be replaced again, but this time a complete new harness. It seems that the first one was only partial replace. I should know Wedensday if the harness replace fixes the SH-AWD.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SC924RL05
Update: As of today the complete electrical system has been replace for the SH-AWD system. Yesterday afternoon a master reset was done remotely from the Honda HQ in Torrance, CA, which was needed to reset the “Brain” of the SH-AWD. The master reset did not solve the problem, because the system still isn't working. I was told late yesterday evening that a new wiring harness was order, which was suggested by Honda HQ that this be replaced again, but this time a complete new harness. It seems that the first one was only partial replace. I should know Wedensday if the harness replace fixes the SH-AWD.

and? eager to hear you conclusion.....
Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update. As of today every...and I mean every electrical part of the SH-AWD system has been replaced......but it still isn't working. This morning the service manager informed me that they now think it's the differential that is the problem. One is being shipped out today from CA and should arrive either Tuesday or Wednesday. So we shall see.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
This is a bizarre problem. I hope they figure it out. Maybe they need to (shudder) just replace the tranny?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Racer

This is the first time i've heard about this type of case. I hope it goes well for you and hopefully, this problem wont be enough for you to get rid of this fabulous car.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I say they replace the whole entire car, i hear a few 06 RL's are still available
Old 10-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Originally Posted by GSteg
This is the first time i've heard about this type of case. I hope it goes well for you and hopefully, this problem wont be enough for you to get rid of this fabulous car.
No way!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Quick Update: This one issue I forgot to include in my update on 10/21, was the discussion I had with the service manager. He wanted to know did I change the differential fluid. I told him no, because the car didn’t tell me to (yeah I was being a smart ass). I did tell him that when I made my last appointment I ask was it any service that needed to be perform. The service manager @ that time told me that the car would tell me when it needed any service, so that is why I told him the car didn’t tell me. So he went on to tell me that the differential fluid should be changed every 15K. Since my manual is in the car I couldn’t verify it.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Quick Update: This one issue I forgot to include in my update on 10/21, was the discussion I had with the service manager. He wanted to know did I change the differential fluid. I told him no, because the car didn’t tell me to (yeah I was being a smart ass). I did tell him that when I made my last appointment I ask was it any service that needed to be perform. The service manager @ that time told me that the car would tell me when it needed any service, so that is why I told him the car didn’t tell me. So he went on to tell me that the differential fluid should be changed every 15K. Since my manual is in the car I couldn’t verify it.
How many miles do you have on the car. Hope it gets fixed soon. Do you drive on mountainous roads or stop and go traffic a lot. Then it is better to replace differential fluid at 15k miles.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Originally Posted by kollamala
How many miles do you have on the car. Hope it gets fixed soon. Do you drive on mountainous roads or stop and go traffic a lot. Then it is better to replace differential fluid at 15k miles.
I have about 22k miles on my car. I'm in some traffic, but not alot of stop & go and no mountainous roads.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm sorry, but there is no way that the SH-AWD should fail even if service called for a dif oil change at 15K, and it still wasn't done at 22K miles.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
if it turned out that the AWD failed because the fluid wasnt changed at 15K and the car is at 22K, then I will trade this car in ASAP!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Wellll - hate to ask - BUT - how do you like the TL? IF the RL was 100% today and the problem was forgotten (stretching it a bit heh?) how would you compare the 2?

Fun to drive/ fun to own quotient - which do you prefer?

Thanks!

SC
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Retired and Loving It

I checked the maintenance journal for my 05 RL. There are no mileage limits listed or stated on any service intervals. It states "the multi-information display lets you know when your vehicle needs service and which items need attention". "It is essential that you have your vehicle serviced according to the items as shown on the multi-information display to retain your vehicle's high level of safety, dependability and emissions control performance".

You were right, the car didn't tell you to change the differential oil. I'd tell that service manager to fix the car and shut up. Or, he can have Acura make a software change to all the new RLs to remind us and them to service the differential every 15,000 miles.

I hate it when service managers try to blame the customer when they can't figure out how to repair a problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update: The new differential was installed yesterday and failed. Since I had to call them last night to get the status, I took a trip to the dealership this morning. They were testing driving it again, but again it failed. The service manager has no idea what to do. He gave me the number to "Client Care (CC)" to see what they had to say which nothing was. CC told me they would research the problem and get back to be with in 2 days. I should have another update this afternoon.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Originally Posted by super_call
Wellll - hate to ask - BUT - how do you like the TL? IF the RL was 100% today and the problem was forgotten (stretching it a bit heh?) how would you compare the 2?

Thanks!

SC
Yes the TL is alot of fun to drive, but my heart is with my RL
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Is it too late for Lemon Laws (mileage wise) to take effect?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by super_call

I've owned both - RL is leaps and bounds above the TL in quality, luxury, and build.

TL is faster without question, but FWD limits things.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Update: The new differential was installed yesterday and failed. Since I had to call them last night to get the status, I took a trip to the dealership this morning. They were testing driving it again, but again it failed. The service manager has no idea what to do. He gave me the number to "Client Care (CC)" to see what they had to say which nothing was. CC told me they would research the problem and get back to be with in 2 days. I should have another update this afternoon.

Wow. Glad we lease. I would hate to pay for that out of my pocket!! It appears the dealer is playing a guessing game. System is too complicated and I am sure they have never seen this problem before. System really should not be too hard to troubleshoot, if they know what they are doing. Do keep us all updated. Again, good thing you do not have to pay for this. I am sure you would be up to atleast 5K by now
Old 10-26-2006, 03:05 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
extended warrenty here I come.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update: After replacing the SH-AWD computer, wiring harness and the differential I was told this afternoon that the SH_AWD is still not working. The Acura Tech-line has now told them to back track all of the wiring connections. The Services Manager told me he has 3 techs work on this and should have an answer tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned for the next update!!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
AcurAdmirer

Wow. I'm not one to say "They should just give you a new one", but if they can't get this fixed, I'm about ready to say Acura should at least make you the most unbelieveable deal on a new one you've ever seen.

For instance, they could 'buy you out of' the '05 at a generous price and get you into an '06 (or '07) at true invoice (no profit to the dealer).

That seems like a reasonable alternative for them, and the least they can do considering the trouble you've had.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I say it's probably time to invoke your state's lemon law.... make them replace the car for you with a new one.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Wow. I'm not one to say "They should just give you a new one", but if they can't get this fixed, I'm about ready to say Acura should at least make you the most unbelieveable deal on a new one you've ever seen.

For instance, they could 'buy you out of' the '05 at a generous price and get you into an '06 (or '07) at true invoice (no profit to the dealer).

That seems like a reasonable alternative for them, and the least they can do considering the trouble you've had.

I agree. This saga is unreal. Sems to me they should be able to check signal coming from the different connectors.I have a feeling its going to be something very simple that they are overlooking. This tells me they do not understand the system.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Which dealer are you using? A lot depends on the experience,training of the senior technician and his ability to diagnose problems.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Retired and Loving It

I agree with a previous post about the Lemon Law. As long as they have had your RL in the shop, this should have been repaired. You should call Acura and tell them you don't want the car. They should replace the RL or give you your money back.

I had a lingering problem with my 06 Subaru Outback 3.0 wagon. They couldn't fix the A/C of all things. After 25 days in the shop this summer, the techs, including one from the factory, threw up their hands. I called customer service and asked for my money back. They offered another Outback but I said no thanks. To my surprise, they said OK to the buyback. After another 20 days, I got all my money back minus about $1400 for usage fee. I got to hand it to Subaru, they were really great about the whole thing. I never had to mention Lemon Law. I hope Acura will step up to the plate and compensate you fairly for this inconvinence.

BTW, when I got my check from Subaru I went down and bought a new 06 TL.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
I agree with the chorus recommending a new car.

There is something wrong with the SH-AWD system in your car that instantly fouls the differentials. It's too bad, I'm enjoying my car thoroughly.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Update (my fingers are crossed that this in the last one): I just received a call from the service manger informing me that my RL is ready for pickup. After back tracking everything they replaced, the controller was malfunctioning. After replacing the controller all of the codes went away and the SH-AWD is working without any problems.

During the last few weeks while my car was in service, I didn’t have any problems with the steps the service team was taking because they were keeping me informed of what was going on. It was just in the last few days that I was feeling not enough communications was coming from the service manager. By this being a problem that they had never seen before, I felt management would have been more involved. Not until I showed that I was not happy (can’t use the words that I really used) did the service manager even talk to me (who I really didn’t believe). When I fill out my survey for I will express to Radley Acura how I felt during the last three weeks and some of the changes they should think about.
I would like to say thank you to all of RL and TL owners that submitted comments on my issue.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
AcurAdmirer

Update (my fingers are crossed that this in the last one): I just received a call from the service manger informing me that my RL is ready for pickup. After back tracking everything they replaced, the controller was malfunctioning. After replacing the controller all of the codes went away and the SH-AWD is working without any problems.

During the last few weeks while my car was in service, I didn’t have any problems with the steps the service team was taking because they were keeping me informed of what was going on. It was just in the last few days that I was feeling not enough communications was coming from the service manager. By this being a problem that they had never seen before, I felt management would have been more involved. Not until I showed that I was not happy (can’t use the words that I really used) did the service manager even talk to me (who I really didn’t believe). When I fill out my survey for I will express to Radley Acura how I felt during the last three weeks and some of the changes they should think about.
I would like to say thank you to all of RL and TL owners that submitted comments on my issue.
We'll be watching to see if this fix "holds".

Be sure to give us a followup when you've had a chance to check it out thoroughly.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
In 06 Acura started providing a manual titled "consumer information". It is a state by state guide to consumer protection laws (lemon laws). Being that you have an 05, you wouldn't have received this manual. What state did you purchase the vehicle in?

I believe you stated in a previous post that you had contacted "Acura Client Services", if you have not contacted them, you should. In many states this is a requirement for Lemon Law buybacks.

I have been following this post closely as the only experience I've had with a SH-AWD failure has always been due to a complete battery discharge and it is a simple reset to get it back.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

Just remember when you fill that survey out, one bad mark is a huge hit against that dealer. I would say if they kept up with you well through most of it, I would still give them all +'s. At the end they were not sure what else to do, and didn't know what to tell you so that is probably why the communication got less.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Pimpin,

You bring up an issue that really pi$$e$ me off - the surveys. My dealer always mentions that same thing about one bad mark, and I understand that there are some financial incentives for them to get 100%. Someone from the dealer always calls to "check up on us", which is to make sure we give them a good grade. So it is always difficult to decide whether to be honest and report what I really experienced, or to give them an A+ and help them out. I would like to think that the intent of the surveys is to help improve customer service, but that is lost if we can't be honest about every part of the survey.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Yea I know. I knew someone who worked for a few dealers. Anytime someone does a bad mark lets say everything was a 10 except one and it was a 5. He lost over $400 out of his paycheck because of that. The car manufacture pulls money away from the dealer, service rep when it happens. I did this once to a service rep when I didn't know about it, and they never treated me the same anymore after that.

I hate it when you can't give your real opinion, but then it comes back at you if you do.

Quick Reply: SH-AWD Problems