RL won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
RL won't start!

Just got a call from my wife. She as PISSED! She was on her way to an appointment, stopped for a coffee, got back in the car and it would not start. From what I could gather from her screaming on the phone was that all that happened was the steering wheel would move in/out/up/down and nothing else happened.

I told her to try and walk away from the car and come back to it, but she already did that. She called Acura and AAA and everyone else she could think of.

The car is only a few weeks old.

Has anyone seen this problem before. I guess they are going to have to tow the damn thing.

Nothing like getting off on the right foot!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn the steering wheel and then turn the 'key'. It could be that the steering wheel is locked.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah. Push the onstar button see if there is power to onstar.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have had the same problem, when you try to push in the (?) it does not go in and will therefore not turn. I let the car say goodbye, turn the wheel a little, gently push in the (?) making sure it is all the way down and start. Always work. Tell your wife to be gentle and push it in all the way before turning.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Where is the key? I have done the same thing. leaving the key in the house, also make sure the car is in park..
Old 10-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oblio98
Just got a call from my wife. She as PISSED! She was on her way to an appointment, stopped for a coffee, got back in the car and it would not start. From what I could gather from her screaming on the phone was that all that happened was the steering wheel would move in/out/up/down and nothing else happened.

I told her to try and walk away from the car and come back to it, but she already did that. She called Acura and AAA and everyone else she could think of.

Has anyone seen this problem before. I guess they are going to have to tow the damn thing.

Everyone is right. Jiggle or slightly move the steering wheel when turning the starter. Same thing happened to me. Hope you read this forum before towing the car.

Welcome to AcuraNation.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Racer

Holy cow, that's a good tip to have in your toolbox

Last night my car wouldn't lock at first. Hmm. Opened it again and closed it just fine. Perhaps the key was just too far from the door. Then this morning the door unlocks fine, I sit down and start the car. Then it tells me it can't sense the key anymore! I put my jacket (with key) on the passenger seat and it found it again. Phew!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Maybe there is a problem with the transponder signal. I would take the cap off the keyhole in the car and the key out of the remote and try to start it by putting the actual key in.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

May need a new battery !
Old 10-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Instructor

If they tow it. Make sure they put it on a flat bed. There is no other safe way to tow the RL since it is AWD. They could do serious damage even pulling it a couple of yards from what I understand.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Racer

yeah, that would ruin the car for sure
Old 10-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Racer

My wife did the same thing one night after her bridge club. I think the steering wheel was in a bind with the lock, but she finally got it started. I had this happen to me once. Just had to turn the wheel a little to get the pressure off the lock.

She was driving my Honda Pilot last night and called on her cell phone wanting to know how to switch to the CD player (real hard HA!) Women live in a different world, but you probably know that too.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:02 PM
office monkey

oblio98,

any updates about what the problem was?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Racer

Something similar just happened to me again. I got gas (first tank) and left the car unlocked, of course. Filled up and got in. Keys in my jacket. No welcome message on the console. I tried to turn the key and it went half way, the steering wheel started moving into position and then went back. The welcome message came and went. This happened 2 or three times. Wiggling the steering wheel did not help. I finally took the key out of my pocket and put it on the seat next to me. The thing started fine.

I'll pop a new battery in the fob and see if that makes it more reliable. Maybe it's got a bum one.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

OK - Here's the deal. It was not a locked steering wheel. The Acura dealer arrived with a flatbed and the first thing he tried was the steering wheel lock. Nothing he could do would start the car, so they towed it.

She said they had to do some "hocus-pocus" to get the thing in neutral, then get it on the flatbed. Off to the dealer, and they kept it overnight. She got a TL as a loaner.

Well, today she went to get it. She got some story about the XM radio slowly draining the battery, however when the tow truck showed up the first thing he tried was to jump the car. They told her that there were some "computer updates" that they had to do, and that it was the XM radio was the culprit.

Not sure what to think. Anyway, I'm going to keep my eye on it myself.

Funny thing, when she got the car back, her radio presets were still there, which would indicate to me that the battery was never changed or disconnected.

??????????????????????????

PS - At least it's not a "tranny" issue!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:39 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Something similar just happened to me again. I got gas (first tank) and left the car unlocked, of course. Filled up and got in. Keys in my jacket. No welcome message on the console. I tried to turn the key and it went half way, the steering wheel started moving into position and then went back. The welcome message came and went. This happened 2 or three times. Wiggling the steering wheel did not help. I finally took the key out of my pocket and put it on the seat next to me. The thing started fine.

I'll pop a new battery in the fob and see if that makes it more reliable. Maybe it's got a bum one.
Nocturnal,

My wife said the EXACT same thing happened to her once prior to the major incident. Maybe you should have your radio checked now!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Racer

I'm not sure what they heck happened. Maybe I didn't push down enough before turning. I'll pay closer attention when it happens again. Definately disturbing when this occurs.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Rl Won't Start

Now I'm not exactly sure why your RL wouldn't start...sounded more hysterial than factural...but I did have a "similar" problem the first week, too....but I'm almost too embarassed to come right and say that it was so simple that it was indeed my own fault for not figuring it out.
When I leave my car I usually make sure the steering wheel is in the locked position...sometimes with a little bit too much of a turn after I have turned off the ignition. When I went to start the car...I could not turn the "key"...thought that the car was shut down by the computer/anti theft system. Well...all I had to do was turn the steering wheel...and the problem was solved. My dealer told me this was not the first time they had encountered this "problem."
Hopefully your problem was just as simple to fix. Good Luck with your RL...I've had mine for about a month...WHAT A GREAT CAR!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

I thought it was steering wheel lock myself, but the Acura dealer could not start the car either, and my wife said she did try moving the wheel at first. Her exact words were "Of course I tried moving the wheel, do you think I am a moron or something?"
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Racer

My wife just called and said the RL wouldn't start. I told her not to do anything and let me look at. I left the office, went to where she was, and the steering wheel was binding the lock. Turned the wheel a little and it started just fine. I had told her this before, but you can't teach most women anything about cars.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by catsailr
....but you can't teach most women anything about cars.
LOL..last night my wife was pointing out some condensation inside the headlamp unit on her MDX. I'd noted this before...some water does seem to infiltrate and I know need to check the seals or seek service. Anyway, I mumbled something about it going away when the headlights are used in the future and not to worry about it. An hour and a half later, I walk into the garage and see the MDX sitting there with extremely dim headlights. Car wasn't on, just the headlights.

I naturally freaked and went to start it..click, click, click... Of course, according to my wife, it's my bad for not being more clear. I guess I should have explained that leaving the headlights on on a car which is not running...leaving them on for 1.5 hours... is not generally recommended should you ever wish to start the car at some future time.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Racer

I did something stupid the other night. I was on my way to a star party and I figured I'd stop right in front of the gate to the parking lot, turn of the car and start it again with the parking brake on. That should disable the DRL. So I stop and try to start again. No go. Just a click and some whirring. Nothing else. Great! Out in the middle of no where with a car that doesn't work anymore. After trying a few more times, getting out of the car locking/unlocking it I finally saw that I didn't put the car in Park when I stopped. Doh!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Instructor

start. From what I could gather from her screaming on the phone :
Right then you should have told her that if she didn't stop screaming at you, the next thing she will be driving is a bicycle to work. mmmmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaayyyy?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLDude
Right then you should have told her that if she didn't stop screaming at you, the next thing she will be driving is a bicycle to work. mmmmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaayyyy?
:lol:
Old 10-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CLDude
Yeah but then she'd tell you you'd be humping a pillow for the next few months.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Yeah but then she'd tell you you'd be humping a pillow for the next few months.
Ah yes, the wife always holds the final trump card.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Well, seems it died again. She left it in a train station parking lot for the week. When she got to the car, the door did not unlock. She had to use a key, and guess what. Deader than a doornail. Of course, she was again really pissed and called Acura. They told her they would get there in "an hour or two"! Also, they were not sure that they could get the truck up into the garage so they would have to "roll" the car out.

Oh No. This is really turning out to be a fricking nightmare.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Racer

When you see the car, check the position of the steering wheel. Most likely she drives with it extended. If the car had been shut down properly the steering wheel would be 'folded in' all the way. If it's still extended it was left 'on'.

I think the car should power down completely when locked, regardless of the position of the 'key'. Too easy to leave it on.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Yea, I think Noctornul has a good point. Sorry to hear about that happening again. It must make her feel uncomfortable taking it out without you. Especially at night by herself. I know my wife would hand me the keys after the second time and tell me to not come back from the dealer without a new one. I would now tell Acura if it is a faulty system that this is a serious safety issue. What if she is allone in a parking lot at night. That would not be cool. I hope they can resolve this for you and quickly considering the money we pay for these.