RL vs. E

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RL vs. E

Rarely post here but got a guy who looked at the RL... even drove the thing. Basically he said the car didn't do it for him... seemed slow off the line and sluggish speeding up. He loved the technology and the way the car looked and felt inside but he said the car did it but it didn't do it for him. He knows about the great price of the car but still probably won't buy. I thought it was interesting to hear it from someone else.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The car is fantastic off the line and it "speeds up" nicely.

There was somehting wrong with the RL, or he was just letting you down easy.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lumpulus

I agree. When I get aggressive with the RL, it performs very well, whether it be from the line or from speed.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus

No it does not. I have an 08 RL that I purchased 7 months ago. I think the transmission is simply unbearable when compared to the any of the automatics in the BMW and Mercedes line.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fstshrk
No it does not. I have an 08 RL that I purchased 7 months ago. I think the transmission is simply unbearable when compared to the any of the automatics in the BMW and Mercedes line.
See my comments about the automatic tranny in the RL here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5692

The car is powerful enough for sure, I think the main fault lies with the automatic tranny.

The RL is fine when driven pedal to the metal, but the part throttle applications are where it fails when compared to some of the other cars in its class.

I still like mine, but the tranny lets this car down.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll weigh in here too.

I agree the AT and how/when it shifts is most of the problem for most of the people.

As far as the customer saying it's sluggish, well that's one persons opinion. Looking at the numbers you'd have to conclude it's got more power than most in the 6cyl sedan class (including the E).
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
office monkey

Yeah the AT isn't that great compared to other similar cars.

I personally don't find my RL to be sluggish but then again, I don't need super incredible acceleration in my daily driving seeing as premium gas costs $1.40 per litre here and the RL is a guzzler. I have yet to be in ANY situation where the acceleration of the RL was an issue and prevented me from doing something I needed to do like change lanes, merge, etc.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I'll weigh in here too.

I agree the AT and how/when it shifts is most of the problem for most of the people.

As far as the customer saying it's sluggish, well that's one persons opinion. Looking at the numbers you'd have to conclude it's got more power than most in the 6cyl sedan class (including the E).
It isn't a power issue. It is the way the tranny hesitates and is slow to downshift. As an example. I also own a 1995 C36 AMG with a 3.6L I6-24V that makes about 270HP and 270 ft* lbs of torque. Granted that it is 400 lbs lighter, but it feels so much quicker than my RL.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Indian Acura Driver

I don't think the transmission is at fault as much as Honda (whoa, wait, lemme finish), remember this car is geared towards the less sporty people...so it's to be as smooth as possible...now the fact that it doesn't auto-downshift could be a reason that they want it to stay absolutely smooth, and in fact, knowing the RL, depending on the speed you take the curve, it may downshift and you may not noticed.

I have noticed in the TL that it will downshift from fifth to fourth on some curves depending on my speed, the thing is, that downshift is very hard to notice due to the fact that it doesn't make much difference at the speed i'm going. So it just may not be downshifting enough...

Again, i think it's more of the way Honda geared it to who they thought it would cater too.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Racer

Maybe you should have bought a BMW or MB. Surely you had time to sample the transmission before you bought the car?? Personally, I think the RL does a nice job of keeping things soft in auto mode and if I want more control then I put it in sport mode. I know I would be pretty disappointed in my ride if I didn't like the transmission. I recently test drove the new Audi A5, it's manumatic mode felt more sluggish than the RL auto mode. There is always going to be preference between cars ultimately.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Brownchaos has it right. The RL is not aggressively tuned or geared, and that's for a reason.

It isn't intended to be a "performance luxury" car like, say, an Infinti or BMW. It is designed to feel luxurious, smooth and classy, not boy-racer. As such, it doesn't have aggressive throttle tip-in, nor does it have abrupt downshifts.

But - if you want to get aggressive, it's just a matter of getting into the throttle more than usual. And if you do it often, the transmission will adapt to your driving style and adjust the shift points and even the throttle response after awhile.

Throttle tip-in is a huge factor in how snappy a car feels, and it's a simple matter of programming the DBW mapping to make it more responsive. But if Acura did that, the whole character of the car would change, and a large part of the audience wouldn't like it.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:22 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

On this I would disagree. After all, the SH-AWD was touted for its dry road capabilities and the improved handling it would deliver and completely different from the 04 RL. The RL is not intended to be an M5 but I think it is supposed to appeal to the tech savvy person who likes to think differently but get some fast driving in sometimes.

I think many believe the TL feels like it has more 'umph' off the line than the RL does. You'd think with a 3.5 vs. 3.2 it would be the opposite.

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
It isn't intended to be a "performance luxury" car like, say, an Infinti or BMW. It is designed to feel luxurious, smooth and classy, not boy-racer. As such, it doesn't have aggressive throttle tip-in, nor does it have abrupt downshifts...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Throttle tip-in is a huge factor in how snappy a car feels, and it's a simple matter of programming the DBW mapping to make it more responsive. But if Acura did that, the whole character of the car would change, and a large part of the audience wouldn't like it.

At 300-400 units a month that is such a huge audience to alienate.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Advanced

I see. is that why they are only selling only a few hundred a month?

Maybe if they had made the rest of the car including the suspension and the tranny match the awesome SH-AWD, they would have sold a lot more.

Brownchaos has it right. The RL is not aggressively tuned or geared, and that's for a reason.

It isn't intended to be a "performance luxury" car like, say, an Infinti or BMW. It is designed to feel luxurious, smooth and classy, not boy-racer. As such, it doesn't have aggressive throttle tip-in, nor does it have abrupt downshifts.

But - if you want to get aggressive, it's just a matter of getting into the throttle more than usual. And if you do it often, the transmission will adapt to your driving style and adjust the shift points and even the throttle response after awhile.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts

Maybe if they had made the rest of the car including the suspension and the tranny match the awesome SH-AWD, they would have sold a lot more.
The RL's mismatch to the flagship market has been discussed in depth here over the few years this gen is now weathered.

Although some do prefer more agressive throttle tip in, aggressive tranny gearing and even higher gear numbers....that has not been the primary concensus as to why the slow sales.

Pricepoint, lack of V8, even rear seat has been much more popular claims than the tranny and even suspension. However, the paramount issue is likley brand prestige.

I would bet the majority owners of MB and BMW could care less about the tranny tuning or even know how many gears, torque or performance metrics the cars have (except for typical enthusiasts). They buy if for the medallion on the hood. Acura, and particularly the RL cannot play that game.

So yes, very few spend the time and energy to appreciate the RL for what it is, AND what it was intended to be.

You posts have an underlying disappointing tone directed to the RL. The quips, perhaps, are fueled by some disappointment that th RL is not the car YOU want. If you need to slam the car and brand, perhaps you can take a sledgehammer to YOUR car and get over it.

I for one am VERY happy with the RL as it is. I like the refined tranny without throttle tip in jerkiness, endless gear hunting or neck snapping shifts. If I wanted that with lesser fuel efficiency, I would have bought Infinity. If I wanted Japanese luxo, I would have bought Lexus. If I wanted prestige I would have paid more for BMW or MB. But I bought the RL because it represented the balance of multiple car attributes that appeal to me and not due to ONE performance critieria or presitige moniker. I may be in the minority, but IMHO, there is nothing wrong or lacking with this car that would have made me buy it and gripe about it after the fact.

Call me Goldylocks, but I think the RL is 'just right'.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The RL's mismatch to the flagship market has been discussed in depth here over the few years this gen is now weathered.

Although some do prefer more agressive throttle tip in, aggressive tranny gearing and even higher gear numbers....that has not been the primary concensus as to why the slow sales.

Pricepoint, lack of V8, even rear seat has been much more popular claims than the tranny and even suspension. However, the paramount issue is likley brand prestige.

I would bet the majority owners of MB and BMW could care less about the tranny tuning or even know how many gears, torque or performance metrics the cars have (except for typical enthusiasts). They buy if for the medallion on the hood. Acura, and particularly the RL cannot play that game.

So yes, very few spend the time and energy to appreciate the RL for what it is, AND what it was intended to be.

You posts have an underlying disappointing tone directed to the RL. The quips, perhaps, are fueled by some disappointment that th RL is not the car YOU want. If you need to slam the car and brand, perhaps you can take a sledgehammer to YOUR car and get over it.

I for one am VERY happy with the RL as it is. I like the refined tranny without throttle tip in jerkiness, endless gear hunting or neck snapping shifts. If I wanted that with lesser fuel efficiency, I would have bought Infinity. If I wanted Japanese luxo, I would have bought Lexus. If I wanted prestige I would have paid more for BMW or MB. But I bought the RL because it represented the balance of multiple car attributes that appeal to me and not due to ONE performance critieria or presitige moniker. I may be in the minority, but IMHO, there is nothing wrong or lacking with this car that would have made me buy it and gripe about it after the fact.

I could not have said it any better. I have not found a more perfect car then the RL. For me NOTHING else measure up. Because I do not like the looks of the new 09 I will be forced to compromise and find something else. My search has been nothing but disappointment.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I could not have said it any better. I have not found a more perfect car then the RL. For me NOTHING else measure up. Because I do not like the looks of the new 09 I will be forced to compromise and find something else. My search has been nothing but disappointment.
Amen. I am hoping the new look will grow on me. After all my test driving, the "superior" transmissions of other vehicles have been weighed and measured and have not met my preference. Maybe I'll buy one of those vehicles, go to the respective forum and complain that the transmission isn't as refined as the RL. I'm sure I would receive similar, deserved comments.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Racer

Ditto!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Advanced

I believe, in this country, I am still entitled to my opinion and so are you.

I still like my RL. I look at it as an 85% car. Acura could have done so much more to make it better but they basically stopped at 85%.

I am glad you like the car.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Racer

I believe, in this country, I am still entitled to my opinion and so are you.

I still like my RL. I look at it as an 85% car. Acura could have done so much more to make it better but they basically stopped at 85%.

I am glad you like the car.
Everyone is entitled to opinion, I'll stop beating up on yours. But seriously, the transmission is such an integral, core part of the driving experience, how did you come into the RL if it didn't meet your standards?? I read numerous posts about ways to improve upon the minor nuances of the RL, some I agree, some I don't. This is to be expected of any vehicle. But for me an unsatisfactory transmission would be a deal breaker on such an expensive asset, especially since you've taken the time to very specifically elaborate on what you prefer. Either way, I think my entitlement to opinion has been satisfied. I hope what you get out of the RL overshadows your perceived transmission shortcomings.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Very simple. I did not want to drive the car as I would normally drive it with a car that had less than 100 miles on the clock.

Also, the dealer is located in a part of town where all the roads are flat. For some reason they don't put the car dealers on nice mountain pass roads

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
Everyone is entitled to opinion, I'll stop beating up on yours. But seriously, the transmission is such an integral, core part of the driving experience, how did you come into the RL if it didn't meet your standards?? I read numerous posts about ways to improve upon the minor nuances of the RL, some I agree, some I don't. This is to be expected of any vehicle. But for me an unsatisfactory transmission would be a deal breaker on such an expensive asset, especially since you've taken the time to very specifically elaborate on what you prefer. Either way, I think my entitlement to opinion has been satisfied. I hope what you get out of the RL overshadows your perceived transmission shortcomings.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No need to argue about tranny issues, we know that the tranny is one of the few weak links in this car. We've had this discussion in the past.

MY tranny issue is the lack of a six-speed tranny. That would fix much of the issue that fstshrk describes. In addition, perhaps there should be a "Sport" button to push to engage a more aggressive shift pattern, ala Ferrari. I wonder how much the second fix would cost, though.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
In addition, perhaps there should be a "Sport" button to push to engage a more aggressive shift pattern, ala Ferrari. I wonder how much the second fix would cost, though.
5 lines of code and a switch to change the address - $5.00/car. Many cars have a sport mode including a lot of Toyota's.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't think the lack of automatic downshifts is the reason they're selling so slowly, either ... and you could argue that if they tried to turn it into a sharp-edged performance car they might sell only 100 a month. YOU'D like it, but the target audience probably wouldn't.

To put it in terms we can all understand, the RL is a Japanese Cadillac. That may hurt some people's feelings, but that's what it is. And theres nothing wrong with that. Take a well-mannered luxury sedan, make it a "better mousetrap" and it should sell well.

As we know (and have discussed to death), the reasons the RL isn't selling well have little to do with transmissions. But for those who can appreciate its qualities, it's a realy, really nice car.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by db22
5 lines of code and a switch to change the address - $5.00/car. Many cars have a sport mode including a lot of Toyota's.
Sounds good on paper, I'm sure the switch would cost no more than $5/car but I doubt the engineering and expertise that goes into those 5 little lines will be cheap.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Interesting thread! I drove a 2007 TL loaner recently and was reminded of the delights of rapid throttle tip-in and aggressive gearing that caused me to fall in love with my former 2004 TL. That setup hauls serious butt even with a 5-speed AT, and gets 15-20% better mileage than the RL thanks to lighter weight and FWD. I do miss the sportiness and fuel economy of the TL, but not enough to switch back. The interior feels cramped, regardless of what Consumer Reports says.

I'm somewhere between fstshrk's 85% and Tampa's eloquent 100% defense of our sweet ride. I agree with Neuron that a "sport/economy" button would be great. However, judging from my experience with a Volvo 850 that had just that, I fear the button would stay firmly lodged in "sport" mode at the expense of better gas mileage. Overall, I give the 2006 RL Tech a 90-95% and accept that getting to 100% would cost far more than I'm willing to pay.

Back to the original topic, I have not driven an E due to concerns about Chrysler quality. I do notice the stunning resemblance to the RL though!!

I also agree that the hideous 2009 RL is a non-starter. That dog won't hunt! Hoping for something much better in 2011.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

FYI:

Latest J.D. Power Quality Study from the U.S.: Mercedes-Benz receives three awards for best product quality

Stuttgart - Mercedes-Benz is one of the most successful auto brands in this year’s customer survey conducted by U.S. market research institute J.D. Power. The Stuttgart car brand receives two gold awards for the highest vehicle quality in their respective market segments, and is also honoured for the world’s best production plant. This outstanding result is one outcome of the initiative launched by Mercedes-Benz to raise customer satisfaction and product quality.

In conducting the annual study, market researchers investigate the satisfaction of American customers with new vehicle purchases within the first 90 days, and evaluate the quality of both the concept and execution of the vehicle. Overall, Mercedes-Benz moved up one place against last year from fifth to fourth, and is the only vehicle brand with three models (CLK, E and S-Class) within the top ten passenger vehicles.

This year saw the E-Class and the CLK each receive gold J.D. Power Awards. According to the U.S. study, these models are the highest quality vehicles in their market segments. Furthermore, Mercedes’ Sindelfingen plant receives the Platinum Award, making it the assembly facility with the best delivered quality worldwide.

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Back to the original topic, I have not driven an E due to concerns about Chrysler quality. I do notice the stunning resemblance to the RL though!!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by CL6
FYI:

Latest J.D. Power Quality Study from the U.S.: Mercedes-Benz receives three awards for best product quality

This year saw the E-Class and the CLK each receive gold J.D. Power Awards. According to the U.S. study, these models are the highest quality vehicles in their market segments. Furthermore, Mercedes’ Sindelfingen plant receives the Platinum Award, making it the assembly facility with the best delivered quality worldwide.

Who knew? I stand corrected. Might there be a Benz in my future??
Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
FYI:

Stuttgart - Mercedes-Benz is one of the most successful auto brands in this year’s customer survey conducted by U.S. market research institute J.D. Power. The Stuttgart car brand receives two gold awards for the highest vehicle quality in their respective market segments, and is also honoured for the world’s best production plant. This outstanding result is one outcome of the initiative launched by Mercedes-Benz to raise customer satisfaction and product quality.

In conducting the annual study, market researchers investigate the satisfaction of American customers with new vehicle purchases within the first 90 days, and evaluate the quality of both the concept and execution of the vehicle. Overall, Mercedes-Benz moved up one place against last year from fifth to fourth, and is the only vehicle brand with three models (CLK, E and S-Class) within the top ten passenger vehicles.

Here is another report from J.D.Power Quality Study 3 years consecutive 06 to 08.

C/P:

For the third consecutive year, Porsche topped the survey with an impressive 87 flaws per 100 vehicles, followed by Infiniti (98), Lexus (99), Mercedes-Benz (104) and Toyota (104).
Although luxury brands generally had the fewest flaws in the survey, mainstream cars and trucks from Ford and General Motors also scored well. Mercury came in sixth with 109 flaws per 100 vehicles, beating Honda. Ford, with 112 flaws per 100 vehicles, was ranked higher than Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, Acura and BMW.
"As increasing technology and content go into these vehicles, they present challenges," said David Sargent, vice president of automotive research at J.D. Power. "So 6 percent is a good overall number that is in line with long-term trends."
Three-fourths of the 36 nameplates that participated in the annual survey improved in quality.
The bottom-ranked vehicles were Suzuki (152 problems per 100 vehicles), Saturn (157), Land Rover (161), Mini (163) and Jeep (167).
The survey is largely a measure of the quality of the components that go into a vehicle, as well as its assembly process.
This year's study was based on responses from 81,500 consumers.
Brands that fell below the average often had problems with the launches of new vehicles or with complex features in their vehicles.
Both Acura (119 flaws) and BMW (126 flaws) scored below average because of problems with high-tech electronic systems.
"Both have been leaders in developing and using new technology – BMW with i-Drive and Acura with voice recognition systems," Mr. Sargent said. "Both have had challenges with the technology."
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I know the transmission problems of the MDX didn't help Acura but this is still surprising as my CL has only needed its xenon ballast replaced... nothing else required. I wonder if an engine exploding is counted the same way a jammed CD player is.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AsianTL
Here is another report from J.D.Power Quality Study 3 years consecutive 06 to 08.

C/P:

For the third consecutive year, Porsche topped the survey with an impressive 87 flaws per 100 vehicles, followed by Infiniti (98), Lexus (99), Mercedes-Benz (104) and Toyota (104).
Not to hijack this thread but in the 90's a bunch of former executives from Toyota were hired by the Porsche CEO at the time, to help Porsche figure out how to lean out production and improve quality......

Read about it in an issue of Autoweek...
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I don't know about Porsche but MB suffered with Chrysler mainly because of the parts suppliers and everything got screwed up big time. Now that Chrysler was shed everything can be streamlined better. Also, when computers were introduced to design the cars the Germans weren't really up to snuff on the technology the way the Japanese were so that messed things up. MB may have hired people to help, they probably did, but they've been spending tons of cash to get quality up... and the Germans listened to the US complaints of their cars.

I would still rate the Acura higher (at least mine has been excellent) but eventually I think things will even out. The technology advantage the RL enjoys (it was groundbreaking when it came out) is not really there as much anymore so Acura will have to find other ways to sell their cars.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL6
I don't know about Porsche but MB suffered with Chrysler mainly because of the parts suppliers and everything got screwed up big time. Now that Chrysler was shed everything can be streamlined better. Also, when computers were introduced to design the cars the Germans weren't really up to snuff on the technology the way the Japanese were so that messed things up. MB may have hired people to help, they probably did, but they've been spending tons of cash to get quality up... and the Germans listened to the US complaints of their cars.

I would still rate the Acura higher (at least mine has been excellent) but eventually I think things will even out. The technology advantage the RL enjoys (it was groundbreaking when it came out) is not really there as much anymore so Acura will have to find other ways to sell their cars.
MB suffered all right. They sold Chrysler for a fraction of what they paid. IMHO, MB should have stuck to what they did best, make rock solid luxury cars. Their venture into the "low end" SUV market (excluding the Gelandewagon) has been successful, in terms of numbers but it has definitely hit their image as a quality car manufacturer. If I'm not mistaken, the ML has dismal reliability.

When I was in the market, I was comparing a new RL with a CPO E-class and it took me one day to decide to rule the E-class out, due to quality/reliability concerns.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I agree I wouldn't buy a used E either. The GL runs up to 80k and just won SUV of the year again. The first ML was a POS. The current one is pretty good overall. MB also suffers more because of all the stuff they put in their cars from massaging seats to airmatic suspension. But you have to give them credit for having such a large product line-up. Acura's tiny number of products is bad mojo if you have to sell those cars for a living. MB really takes care of their salespeople (something Acura forgot how to do 2 years ago) and they do a great job retaining their leasing clients as well. They aren't the perfect car company but they were one of the very few who saw their sales increase last month over the previous year's May and they have Smart as well. Acura could never decide if they were sporty, luxury, or what. That's too bad. In 2004 they were a benchmark in technology and value. I think they lost it in 2006. At least, my paycheck lost it then.