RL vs Audi A8 vs BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL vs Audi A8 vs BMW M5

I recently purchased 06 RL with less than 15k miles, the deal was too good to pass.

Here is my driving impression from my last two german cars. I used to own E39 M5 (400 hp version) prior to D3 Audi A8 (330 hp version).

E39 M5, feels very tight, structure wise. Great handling and the body feels like its hunkered down to ground with an anchor. About 4000 lb weight but 400 hp more than compensates its weight. The shear size of the car makes could make you think you can't take that hard turn. But when you actually get on it, it gracefully handles more than one can throw at it. Reliability is relatively good and parts expense is reasonable as well. M Audio option sounded good, great bass, lacking a bit of fine details and highs.

D3 Audi A8, feels somewhat looser than M5, structure wise. Same 4000 lb but it feels a lot heavier than M5. Great suspension, absorbs bumps easily, makes you think your are in a limo. Due to AWD, car handles better than how it appears, but not as good as M5, as expected. Great Bose Surround system with decent bass, better sounding system than M5. Fit and finish is better than M5. Reliability is quite horrific and repair & maintenance fee is higher than M5.

Now RL. I used to own 91 Legend and later 94 Legend Coupe many years ago, but this car feels much tighter than those legends. It feels as tight as M5, structure wise. Steering feels lighter than M5 and A8. Even at 4000 lb like other cars, this car feels somehow lighter on its feet. It "feels" quite capable. It makes you think you can take that hard turn, but its limit is quite easily realized. With M5, "Wow, I can't believe I made that turn", with A8, "I knew that turn would be hard", and with RL, "I swear I felt like I could make that turn…". Engine response is good but lacking low end torque, as expected. Sound system is better than M5 and on par with A8, although A8 has much stronger and defined bass (I guess better Bose Surround System?). Fit and finish is on par with two other cars, but its interior feels rather blend/fleshy/plasticky compare to other two cars.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by ///M Roadster
With M5, "Wow, I can't believe I made that turn", with A8, "I knew that turn would be hard", and with RL, "I swear I felt like I could make that turn…".
Great comparison! I love the quoted sentence, it's quite true!

You are a candidate for the A-Spec suspension upgrade. The RL will never be an M, but the handling in the turns is greatly improved. It's the best $600 (+ install) you will ever invest in this car if you want handling. For some reason, Acura doesn't market it but that doesn't stop it from being well-engineered without significant loss of ride quality.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Pro

I agree with Bob on the A-spec, really nice for people who like better handling and a more responsive car.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Nice review. The Audi 8 with the Bose system is one of the finest stock systems I have ever heard in any car. The main reason its bass is more defined then the RL is power of the amp. It simply has more. The RL has quite a good system itself, one you adjust it properly. The sound system in a high car will make or break my decision, all other thing considered.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Nice review. The Audi 8 with the Bose system is one of the finest stock systems I have ever heard in any car. The main reason its bass is more defined then the RL is power of the amp. It simply has more. The RL has quite a good system itself, one you adjust it properly. The sound system in a high car will make or break my decision, all other thing considered.
Has there been posts with a "preferred/adjusted setup" on RL's stereo (treble, bass, etc)? I just put all in the middle (treble, bass,etc), enable "pilot" & "center stage". For M5, there was this post explaining detail setup of stock audio system to get the most of out, and it actually made a significant difference.

Thanks!

p.s. I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum for the last a few days and got the impression that A-Spec suspension is the first mod to have.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having driven all the cars mentioned and others in the same performance scale (in my mind) to include M Coupe, Z06, E55, etc, I think the RL is capable in some areas and not so in others.

The easiest, quickest way I found to improve the lacking areas was to work on the suspension. I chose not to go the A-Spec route mostly because of the look. I wanted the RL to stand out a bit (more), and improve handling at the same time as well as improve the aggressiveness of the car. I had used H&R stage 1 and 2 springs in the past on my TL and 740iS, and loved the "feedback" I got from the road. Having those installed improved the handling tremendously, and adding the wheels with lower profile tires put the icing on the cake. The exhaust added even more ooomph to the car, which went along with my goals. I will eventually add the coilovers just to get the flexibility of changing settings on the fly, and a header or a supercharger if they are ever available. Again, I've always been about making the car unique, yet not making it look "younger" that I really am.

Does this make sense? It does in my mind!!!

Just my

Peace out!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ///M Roadster
Has there been posts with a "preferred/adjusted setup" on RL's stereo (treble, bass, etc)? I just put all in the middle (treble, bass,etc), enable "pilot" & "center stage". For M5, there was this post explaining detail setup of stock audio system to get the most of out, and it actually made a significant difference.
:

Audio sound is always personal. Another persons " too much bass" it just right for some. The fact is the Rl's audio system is capable of very fine sound. I can't say that of other car stock systems I have heard. I understand the 09 RL is going to be even better(more power) and it might make me forget how ugly the new grille is. Our lease is up this year. I will say this, the new 09 Nissan Maxima is looking very very good in this tough economic times. I am hear 36K for every option, and that is MSRP.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roy Cya
Having driven all the cars mentioned and others in the same performance scale (in my mind) to include M Coupe, Z06, E55, etc, I think the RL is capable in some areas and not so in others.

The easiest, quickest way I found to improve the lacking areas was to work on the suspension. I chose not to go the A-Spec route mostly because of the look. I wanted the RL to stand out a bit (more), and improve handling at the same time as well as improve the aggressiveness of the car. I had used H&R stage 1 and 2 springs in the past on my TL and 740iS, and loved the "feedback" I got from the road. Having those installed improved the handling tremendously, and adding the wheels with lower profile tires put the icing on the cake. The exhaust added even more ooomph to the car, which went along with my goals. I will eventually add the coilovers just to get the flexibility of changing settings on the fly, and a header or a supercharger if they are ever available. Again, I've always been about making the car unique, yet not making it look "younger" that I really am.

Does this make sense? It does in my mind!!!

Just my

Peace out!
Another modder!

I've had my share of modding a car, I guess.
Here is what I used to drive (http://www.bimmerpwr.com/Main.html) before I sold it to another follow bmw enthusiast. If you had M Coupe, maybe we came across our path on another forum before (my id is bimmerpwr on other forums).
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
office monkey

Also throw on some good summer tires if the RL you bought has the shitty OEM michelins. Makes a big difference in the handling...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm sorry man but I'm going to have to argue with you on the Audi A8...

I work for an Audi dealer and on Tuesday had to deliver an A8L W12. It's an incredible car but a bit higher-tier when compared to the RL. The RL more or less competes with the A6 now in terms of size and price. The A8 is in a rarified segment with the BMW 750 and 760 and Mercedes S-Class. And that A8L was a full load with a sticker of $143,000... Love that W12 motor, though; it pulls like a freight train.

Edit: And if you want to talk sound systems....the Bang & Olufsen now available in the A8 is awesome!!