RL vs. A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Ok... so Acura/Audi share a dealership here in Knoxville. (actually it's Porsche, Infinity, Jaguar, Acura, Audi) Small town... oh well.

So when I was in having my tires rotated (would have taken it to Walmart but I lost my wheel lock key and had to have the dealer get the locks off...so I figured I would just let them rotate the tires while I was there)... ok this is getting too long... I'll get to the point...
There was a used Audi A6 (2006) with 15k without Nav...(they are asking $39K for it) so I took it for a test drive while I was waiting for the service to be done.

Here's what I think... the car is very 'solid' feeling. It looked beautiful (Silver with Black interior) but only 1yr old and there was already obvious wear and tear to the 'plastic pieces'. The black plastic seals around the doors were worn, the chrome trim on the trunk and grille were oxidized. Perhaps they just didn't take care of it... but hell, it's only 1yr old (if that). As far as the interior... the RL's leather is MUCH higher quality. The plastic mold around the drivers seat that houses the power seat adjustments, had come loose and was flopping around. The plastic around the dash is cheaper in appearance. The instrument cluster much more spartan. (I think I would have liked it better if it was in the evening...and I saw it with the red lights)

Driving... The car felt heavy, and the 3.2L - 6 does not move that car well. The RL is much quicker.. not only off the line, but in all throttle response. Lastly the brakes... yikes, they squeaked and grinded and moaned. With only 15K mi's on them they sounded like they needed replacing. I've never heard a peep out of my brakes.

Sooo for giggles...I asked the sales person to put together some figures for me.
I wanted to know what it would cost for the A6 with the add'n of a 100K warranty and Nav. Here's what he sent back

A6 39,900 + Nav 2,000 + Warranty $998 (dealer splits 1/2 cost) Total $41,998+Tax
Trade in on 06 RL non-tech with 10K mi - $34,000.

Sooo in summary... I would pay > $8K and get a car with a worse reputation for reliability, 5K more miles, no xenons, no adaptive headlights, no keyless entry, no power rear sunshade, 35 less HP... and in my humble opinion worse handling, brakes, acceleration, leather, and fit/finish.

Hmmmm.... I think I'll stick with what I have. I was glad I took it for a drive... now I know how good I have it.
But... But... what about the German engineering or the wonderful handling characteristics that cause people to blindly purchase those cars?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoHawks
But... But... what about the German engineering or the wonderful handling characteristics that cause people to blindly purchase those cars?

Hahah... I'm sure it's hard to put a price on "German Engineering"... but I'm quite certain it's WELLLL SOUTH of $8K for me..
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Handling characteristics?

Audi: weight hanging in front of the front axle = understeer from hell

Porsche: weight hanging behind the rear axle = oversteer from hell

Yeah, we all want more of that

The RL, while no paragon of perfect balance, is at least more reasonable in terms of mass distribution and much more neutral than an A6.

The SH really makes a difference. My daily drive includes a sharp curve (in a 45MPH zone, marked down to 35) that I regularly take at 55Mph, and the RL is so much more neutral than the A6, it’s not even funny.

Now, the RL is good, but not as quick as my old Legacy GT, I could (and did) take that corner at 70Mph in that thing, no sweat.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And let's not forget all the wonderful opportunities you'll have to enjoy free coffee and doughnuts in the dealer's service lounge when it breaks every week...
Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever had to replace the plastic chrome-plated strip on the side of your RL...mine is chipping and I can not seem to find a place to replace it.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mama_of_AnI
Have you ever had to replace the plastic chrome-plated strip on the side of your RL...mine is chipping and I can not seem to find a place to replace it.
You just posted in a thread from 07, next time I would start a new thread but to answer your question I would probably go to a body shop and see if they can paint or wrap it for you if its not still available from the Acura dealer
Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Mama_of_AnI
It's painted and chrome, not just chrome. See my thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/photogr...-925582/page5/
Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by indymeh
you just posted in a thread from 07, next time i would do a fucking search but to answer your question i would probably go to a body shop and see if they can paint or wrap it for you if its not still available from the acura dealer
ftfy.