RL is in the shop. 2012 TL SH-AWD loaner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
RL is in the shop. 2012 TL SH-AWD loaner.

So the alternator went out on my RL on Sunday. Typically I would just fix it myself but I just don't have the time to do so this week and I need a car so I'm having Acura fix it. They gave me a 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech as a loaner. When our TL was in at the dealer a couple years ago they gave us a 2009 TL SH-AWD as a loaner for a day so it's not my first time having one.

First, the good things about the TL over my RL:
-3.7L 305hp and 6-speed auto, (I know the newer RL's have this too)
-Higher resolution nav screen
-Weather updates and maps on nav
-Better side bolstering on front seats
-More aggressive torque vectoring
-iPod connectivity with car stereo and HDD storage, (Newer RL has iPod connectivity)
-Much more nimble in the corners

Now the bad:
-Absolutely nowhere near the fit and finish of the RL
-Louder cabin and more road noise
-Sport mode will not downshift to first unless at a dead stop
-Car short shifts to 2nd gear whether in sport mode or not
-Gauges are not as nice looking
-Interior is closer to Honda Accord than the RL
-Headrests are not as comfy as the RL
-Sound system and cabin acoustics are not on par with RL
-Interior feels much more cramped

I'm sure there's plenty more. The RL just has a much more commanding feel to it. Why didn't Acura make the Brembo brakes standard on the upper model TL's?

The RL is probably 90-95% of the TL in terms of performance but the TL is far behind the RL in refinement and overall build quality. The new TL is a nice car and all but I'm honestly going to be very happy to get my RL back tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
I think you are the first person I have heard say the RL stereo is better. Also, the RL brakes are not Brembos, unbeknownced to all service techs. There are Advatics or something silly like that.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I think you are the first person I have heard say the RL stereo is better. Also, the RL brakes are not Brembos, unbeknownced to all service techs. There are Advatics or something silly like that.
Let me rephrase that, 4-piston calipers or big brakes.

Yes, I think the RL's stereo is superb. It trounces the ELS system in our 2007 TL and I think it is quite a bit better than the new TL. Sure, you get more gadgets with the TL like AUX and USB inputs and the HDD but the RL sounds better. It could also be the RL's cabin has better acoustics. The thicker materials help to deaden sound and reduce reflections. Any audiophile will tell you that the best equipment in the world will not sound better than a room built with good acoustics.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the RL is a great car... so under rated.... i don't care that all the mags rag on it.... those losers just get free cars to flog... and they only drive them for a weekend... it's like a one night stand with a car.. you only focus on the fun/excitement and not on the true overall package....

I had a 2012 TL loaner recently.. not an SH-AWD model... but it was nice. it was noticeably more peppy... but around corners it sucked.. my RL would blow it away around on on ramp.... but it's a great car... if I was back int he car market I"d for sure look at an AWD TL...

enjoy the loaner and hope you have your car back soon!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Drifting

I think if I were comparing it to a 6-speed manual TL SH-AWD the TL would stand a much better chance. I really miss having a stick shift but auto vs auto, I'll take my RL any day.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I and other stereo people will very much disagree with you on the audio system comments.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I and other stereo people will very much disagree with you on the audio system comments.
Maybe it's just me. I'm quite into stereo equipment. Have a pretty serious home theater setup. I'm not so much into car stereos anymore. Just commenting on what my ears hear.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

See what I mean.

I can't compare, but I will back you up that the RL system is no slouch.

Maybe the previous driver had jacked up the settings.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

See what I mean.

I can't compare, but I will back you up that the RL system is no slouch.

Maybe the previous driver had jacked up the settings.
It's a great system, but compared to the ELS systems in the 2009+ TSX/TL you'll be hard pressed to find people who think the RL's Bose system equals or betters them.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I know. That's what I said in the second post. My biggest problem with my stereo is I use free Pandora 90% of the time. The problem with audio quality is that it is only as good as the weakest link.

Stupid 16-bit audio.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
Sorry, the RL stereo is garbage unless you are under 40 mph with the volume half way up.
Once you get to highway speeds or with the windows down its all lost.

I just cannot get Justin to play loud enough.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Stupid 16-bit audio.
I don't think 16-bit audio is the problem my friend... try the low streaming bit rate. 16-bit is empirically of sufficient quality that the human ear cannot pick out 24/32bit put against it (when listening to properly mastered 16bit audio vs the same recording in 24/32)

Spotify $10/mo for access to all the world's music, and 320kbps QUALITY for stuff I downloaded to the phone while on Wifi, worth every penny
Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Good call.
Stupid 64 kb/s audio.
Fixed.

I just read that Pandora is inherently 124kb/s, but the AAC decoder in Apple products only samples half of it resulting in 64 kb/s.

I am an audio engineer, so this isn't completely alien to me. I was listening to a CD on the way into work today, and I was disappointed in the power of the speakers. I suppose it isn't all the iPhone's fault.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Looks like I'm going to have the TL until Friday. They are replacing the alternator, power steering pump and the passenger rear window seal all under warranty.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

thats a win for sure
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am in a 2012 TL AWD for the week. (Mechanic did not refill both chambers of Rear differential, so it is being replaced ((for Free)). I definitely miss my RL! The TL while nice overall, does not measure up to my 2007 RL. The sportiness and acceleration of the TL is cool, but the cheap, Honda like interior is despicable. It is filled with plastic and reminds me of a base Accord. The luxurious touches and overall refinement of the RL is now more appreciated than ever.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

haha, congrats on the new rear end... the same thing happened to mine.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Okay. I'd like to retract my statement about the audio system. Whoever had the car last had the center speaker and the treble turned way up. After making some adjustments it sounds WAY better now. I still wouldn't say it's substantially better than the RL though. The iPod connectivity is awesome. Genre, track, album and artist listing as well as album cover on the screen. The voice activated searching is spot on too.

Another thing the new TL has over the RL is the all the voice commands. It understands you much better now. I don't really use voice commands in either one of our cars that much anyway so no biggie there.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Im in a 2012 TL FWD, looks to be a base model. I must agree with all the statements so far - the choice I made in getting a more used RL over a less-used TL/Accord/etc is extremely worth it so far in terms of taste and overall driving experience. I think I'll have this TL until tomorrow while my driveshaft and bearings get replaced but I REALLY want my RL back, even if it isnt as sporty and peppy as this TL.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
BDoggPrelude were you having a wind noise from your rear passenger side door above 40mph? If you were can you reply in my thread here https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/wind-noise-rear-passenger-side-853531/
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Drifting

Another thing I like about the TL, and our 2007 TL for that matter, is the steering ratio.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you notice the nav interface is different? I have an 05 RL and was provided a 2012 loaner. I really like the new interface. Wonder if I get the new disc, if it will be the same? But I really do like the acceleration of the TL. It's very responsive but can also have torque steer. Agree inside is very plasticy. But other than that, its a nice car but I would not trade my RL for it. But I have the base with tech package. I would have loved to try the awd one.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fatty
Did you notice the nav interface is different? I have an 05 RL and was provided a 2012 loaner. I really like the new interface. Wonder if I get the new disc, if it will be the same? But I really do like the acceleration of the TL. It's very responsive but can also have torque steer. Agree inside is very plasticy. But other than that, its a nice car but I would not trade my RL for it. But I have the base with tech package. I would have loved to try the awd one.
A new disc will only update the maps for you.

For 2009 TL and TSX, there is a new hard drive based system that is significantly faster and they use a higher resolution screen.
The following users liked this post:
fatty (04-11-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I just cannot get Justin to play loud enough.
what the......

to resolve the stereo issues, call paypal.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 23109VC
the RL is a great car... so under rated.... i don't care that all the mags rag on it.... those losers just get free cars to flog... and they only drive them for a weekend... it's like a one night stand with a car.. you only focus on the fun/excitement and not on the true overall package....

I had a 2012 TL loaner recently.. not an SH-AWD model... but it was nice. it was noticeably more peppy... but around corners it sucked.. my RL would blow it away around on on ramp.... but it's a great car... if I was back int he car market I"d for sure look at an AWD TL...

enjoy the loaner and hope you have your car back soon!

The RL is a nice car but if you actually drive a V8 version from MB or BMW (E or 5) man those cars are a different animal. I used to say they were hating on Acura also, until I bought an E550. Maybe two different types of buyers to a certain extent, but I now know they are not hating. Now does Acura give you a little more for your money? Yeah. But if you want that added grunt and low end torque it's worth the extra money. Man I tell you the E550 is insane. I hope to be able to get an E63 someday.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by sufall96
The RL is a nice car but if you actually drive a V8 version from MB or BMW (E or 5) man those cars are a different animal. I used to say they were hating on Acura also, until I bought an E550. Maybe two different types of buyers to a certain extent, but I now know they are not hating. Now does Acura give you a little more for your money? Yeah. But if you want that added grunt and low end torque it's worth the extra money. Man I tell you the E550 is insane. I hope to be able to get an E63 someday.
im sure the new RLX is gonna feel pretty torquey
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I am not sure you read his entire post. He was saying something about an entire package or something. I guess I wasn't listening either.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I fooled with and/or owned a half dozen VW's, BMW's and Audi's. No more German cars for me ever. no no no.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
wow cover art on the new 2012.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
So the alternator went out on my RL on Sunday. Typically I would just fix it myself but I just don't have the time to do so this week and I need a car so I'm having Acura fix it. They gave me a 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech as a loaner. When our TL was in at the dealer a couple years ago they gave us a 2009 TL SH-AWD as a loaner for a day so it's not my first time having one.

First, the good things about the TL over my RL:
-3.7L 305hp and 6-speed auto, (I know the newer RL's have this too)
-Higher resolution nav screen
-Weather updates and maps on nav
-Better side bolstering on front seats
-More aggressive torque vectoring
-iPod connectivity with car stereo and HDD storage, (Newer RL has iPod connectivity)
-Much more nimble in the corners

Now the bad:
-Absolutely nowhere near the fit and finish of the RL
-Louder cabin and more road noise
-Sport mode will not downshift to first unless at a dead stop
-Car short shifts to 2nd gear whether in sport mode or not
-Gauges are not as nice looking
-Interior is closer to Honda Accord than the RL
-Headrests are not as comfy as the RL
-Sound system and cabin acoustics are not on par with RL
-Interior feels much more cramped

I'm sure there's plenty more. The RL just has a much more commanding feel to it. Why didn't Acura make the Brembo brakes standard on the upper model TL's?

The RL is probably 90-95% of the TL in terms of performance but the TL is far behind the RL in refinement and overall build quality. The new TL is a nice car and all but I'm honestly going to be very happy to get my RL back tomorrow.
I am a recent convert, having traded my 2006 WDP, RL/ASPEC, 19" RonJon Wheels for a 2012 BWP TL SH-AWD Advance. Although I agree with much of the points you make, I really enjoy the driveability of the TL. The ASPEC/19" wheels did a lot to help the driveability of my RL, but the TL still tops it. Now to be fair, I do miss the build quality inside and out, the paint quality and the creature comforts of the RL. To me, the TL stereo is a bit better sounding than that of my RL and the 6 year newer tech of the TL is really impressive.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Treblig
...the 6 year newer tech of the TL is really impressive.
Agreed. I was blown away by the iPod connectivity and the higher resolution and interface of the newer navigation unit.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

I am not sure you read his entire post. He was saying something about an entire package or something. I guess I wasn't listening either.
Case in point. Take a look at this chart. The RL did not top any one single category, but it still took second place because it has the entire package.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rain-chart.pdf