Question on Main Display and polarized sun glasses

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Main Display and polarized sun glasses

I got the opportunity to test drive a 07 base a few weeks ago. I was curious what the main center display would look like with a NAV system. I had a MDX without a NAV and thought the implementation was a little lacking.

My impressions were that the display was bright and informative … until I put on my polarized sunglasses. Without going into the scientific details (like I would be qualified) on polarized sunglasses, I have noticed this before, but only when I tiled my head 90 degrees on other vehicle displays. It would seem the base display is unreadable when they I think had an option to “turn” the screen to prevent this from being an issue.

So to my question. Does anyone here wear polarized sunglasses that does not have a base 07? I’d like to know if the NAV screen is viable with them on.

TIA
Old 02-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had no problems with the screens on my '06 (I assume the '07 is the same) and I wear polarized sunglasses just about every day.

LL
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wear polarized sunglasses and have no problems save the navi screen is certainly dimmer, but I do not really have a problem with it. It is sort of in between day and night modes. For me, the night mode can be somewhat problematic, especially in heavily lighted suburban/urban areas.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the replies. One other question.

Have you ever noticed the screen going dark as you tilt your head so the glasses are positioned vertically?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Proboscis-free zone

No difficulties with polarized sunglasses on my 2006 RL nav screen (except for a touch of presbyopia--ask Neuron about that--my next shades will be progressive bifocals ). I've never thought to turn my head 90 degrees so I can't answer the second one.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I wear polarized sunglasses and have no issues with the navi.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Smile

I wear polarized sunglasses and have no problems seeing the nav screen. I have not tilted my head 90 degrees, becuase if I have the Navi set to North up it would really be East up
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Ray Ban "Leathers" Shooters with no problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I user polarized glasses all the time.. No issues here...

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*ANY* LCD screen is affected by polarized sunglasses -- your laptop, your watch, your cell phone, and yes, your RL's navi system.

LCD screens work on polarization. The pixels are bits of liquid crystal behind polarized glass -- when current is applied to the pixel, the crystals shift their alignment, and cause a darkening effect. If you look at the polarized screen, at some angles it's going to be bright, and at some angles it's going to be dark. You may also notice a rainbow huing effect.

It's inherent to the technology, and unfortunately there's little way around it. It's a function solely of angle of view.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Oakleys... some issues, but its the polarization.
I dont mind it.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Racer

You can put the NAV screen in daytime mode manually at night by pressing the little button at the bottom left of the center stack that has a light bulb icon next to it.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

I live in Florida and wear polarized sunglasses all the time. I see different colors in the side windows and see a light white filler under my gas gauge needle. No issues with the nav system. My RL is an 06. Don't see the white filler or different colors in the windows without the sunglasses.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

Red face 07 Nav's Are Wrongly Polarized

Originally Posted by whealy
I got the opportunity to test drive a 07 base a few weeks ago. I was curious what the main center display would look like with a NAV system. I had a MDX without a NAV and thought the implementation was a little lacking.

My impressions were that the display was bright and informative … until I put on my polarized sunglasses. Without going into the scientific details (like I would be qualified) on polarized sunglasses, I have noticed this before, but only when I tiled my head 90 degrees on other vehicle displays. It would seem the base display is unreadable when they I think had an option to “turn” the screen to prevent this from being an issue.

So to my question. Does anyone here wear polarized sunglasses that does not have a base 07? I’d like to know if the NAV screen is viable with them on.

TIA
I just tested drove a TL 07 with CMBS/Pax today and noticed the same thing.

There is R and L polarization. If you have opposite polarization (R and L), you get the light blocking effect.

I explained what was happening to the sales guy and he said that was very odd. I turned my Sunglasses 90 degrees and the Nav was clear.

Normally all consumer equipment (LCD screens, sunglasses, etc.) are all polarized in one direction so you don't get the light blocking effect.

This is a huge problem. I am going to check out another 07 and see if they have this issue.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wear clip ons, and have some problems with one pair of clip ons, I can see the screen much better if I tilt my head about 30 degrees. My wife has no problem with hers. The other variable is the sunglass manufacturer, in this case, the eyeglass frame manufacturer.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chas2
I wear clip ons, and have some problems with one pair of clip ons, I can see the screen much better if I tilt my head about 30 degrees. My wife has no problem with hers. The other variable is the sunglass manufacturer, in this case, the eyeglass frame manufacturer.
I have two pairs of polarized sunglasses and they both have issues with the RL 07' Nav Screen. I have been in about three cars (non-Acura) that have the LCD NAV displays and the polarization that they produce have never given me any issues.

Damn, I really want to get an RL but if I can't see the screen clearly....
Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff_Drive
I have two pairs of polarized sunglasses and they both have issues with the RL 07' Nav Screen. I have been in about three cars (non-Acura) that have the LCD NAV displays and the polarization that they produce have never given me any issues.

Damn, I really want to get an RL but if I can't see the screen clearly....
You gotta be f'ing kidding me. My RL is going to arrive in the next day or so. What a bone head move.

The problem is the polarization - sunglasses are ALWAYS horizontaly polarized - that is how they work to reduce glare. If the display is Vertical - it appears black when viewed through polarized glasses (I may have the relationship backwards, but the principal is the same)

This happened with LCD sailboat instruments when those first came out. My LCD computer display appears to be polarized at 45 degrees becuase that is the angle I have to hold my sunglasses at to not see it.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
No problems here and I wear Revo H2Os everyday.

Further, I have no issues with the upper tier LCD that displays the XM channel and Temp. On my TL, the upper LCD did have polarization conflict with these same glasses.

The only effect I notice is the UV blotching in the side window glass as mentioned above.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
No problems here and I wear Revo H2Os everyday.

Further, I have no issues with the upper tier LCD that displays the XM channel and Temp. On my TL, the upper LCD did have polarization conflict with these same glasses.

The only effect I notice is the UV blotching in the side window glass as mentioned above.

I believe it was stated in the first post that the problem is with 07's and NOT 06's - they probably changed LCD vendors. I guess I will know in a day or two. It was supposed to be on the truck today.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I stand corrected.

I did not see all postings here were 2007 owners exclusively and therefore disqualifying me from posting.

I will refrain from polluting your posts any further.

Enjoy your RL.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I stand corrected.

I did not see all postings here were 2007 owners exclusively and therefore disqualifying me from posting.

I will refrain from polluting your posts any further.

Enjoy your RL.
Not a problem - it seems that a lot of the post (reporting no problem) may be from 06 owners. None the less - it is a data point - it exist in the 07, not in the 06.

The post (now locked) that brought me here said the dealer said they hadn't heard of this - to which I say B.S... and a reply said take off your glasses - not an solution.

It will be interesting. If this car was for me as a daily driver - it would be a major issue. Since it is for my wife, I will not be driving it on a daily basis - not such a big deal. I already keep my last pair of prescription (non polarized) sunglasses in her current car anyway, just in case I forget mine - so I will just wear those.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

Cant read Screen with Glasses

See my prior post. I just purchased a 2007RL and have this issue with polarized sunglasses. I cannot understand how something like this can be overlooked. It is a real issue and I would imagine that most folks who own an Acura and wear suunglasses have polarized lenses. My dealer claims that they have not heard of this problem. I know that at least one reader of this thread is from Cleveland and would like to know if you have a relationship with a Cleveland Dealer.

Originally Posted by whealy

TIA
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Polarization happens!!! As far as being overlooked by the engineers at Honda/Acura I don't think they wear polarized shades unless they belong to the Yakuza and/or star in kung fu movies.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Pro

With my sunglasses on the display is too dark, even turned up, WHAT can I do??????
Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
With my sunglasses on the display is too dark, even turned up, WHAT can I do??????
Nothing you can do about your sunglasses except wear non-polarized lenses. All LCD screens are polarized to align the light molecules.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Serengeti Drivers are great sunglasses, if rather expensive. Since they have gradient lenses you can see the displays in the car better, including the nav screen.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
Nothing you can do about your sunglasses except wear non-polarized lenses. All LCD screens are polarized to align the light molecules.
Agreed, I just flip up my sunglasses when I need to read something on the screen. Never saw it as a big deal. Besides, Acura doesn't make LCD panel displays. I'm sure they are just buying the same stuff everyone else buys. I heard rumors that everything these days is made by three chinese guys in Bejing named Bing, Ming, and Xing
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
office monkey

no probs here on my 05 rl when looking directly at the screen with my polarized sunglasses.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexorg

yes - but the polarization of the screen can be oriented so that it ISN'T an issue. I can read my computer, cellphone and other LCD screens WITH polarized sunglasses on as long as my head is in a normal position in relation to the screen. Tilt my head one way or the other, I can't - but that isn't "normal" and I can't complain at that.

It really ISN'T a big deal to design it so that there isn't a problem (obviously - if it isn't a problem in the 05/06 but is in the 07) or an issue that is new and previously unknown. I saw it come up about 15 years ago or more when LCD digital readouts first came into use in electronic devices. It was quickly corrected in most cases, especially ones that were being used in situations where the operator would possibly be wearing polarized glasses - portable or mobile devices that would be used in high ambient lighting situations..

It should be a basic parameter that anyone competent in designing a system using such a display in a situation where such glasses would likely be worn would be aware of. It isn't like we're buying a $10 LCD watch here. This is a system that adds $3500 on top of a $40,000+ price tag (though the problem likely exist in the base model too). If it is a problem in the 07 and not the 05/06, then I would be willing to bet that the vendor of the display changed and the polarization of the screen wasn't written into the spec.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Pro

My o6 has the same problem with polarization, if I turn my head 45 degrees with my polar sunglasses on is it much brighter.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You gotta be kiddin' ... am I REALLY seeing people saying it is a major problem that their polarized sunglasses block the Nav display??? And didn't one guy actually say something about looking elsewhere for a different brand car because of it?

Nah. It can't be true. No one would select a car based on whether his sunglasses work well with it. Surely. I mean, that's like a woman buying a house because the marble in the foyer goes well with her nail polish.

But just in case it IS true, it's called ... GET SOME NEW SUNGLASSES! There are lots of excellent sunglasses out there that aren't polarized, and that will protect your eyes and deliver good vision and sun attenuation.

But if you ARE that much in love with those shades, either don't tilt you head to 90 degrees (that's dangerous anyway), or see about having the Nav display cover re-oriented. Just be ready for your wife to bitch, because then SHE won't be able to read it from the passenger seat.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
But just in case it IS true, it's called ... GET SOME NEW SUNGLASSES! There are lots of excellent sunglasses out there that aren't polarized, and that will protect your eyes and deliver good vision and sun attenuation.

But if you ARE that much in love with those shades, either don't tilt you head to 90 degrees (that's dangerous anyway), or see about having the Nav display cover re-oriented. Just be ready for your wife to bitch, because then SHE won't be able to read it from the passenger seat.

First - no sunglasses knock out glare on/from flat surfaces (like the roadway in front of you) like ones with polarized lenses.

Second - who said anything about tilting thier head and having the problem. When you tilt your head the problem goes away. And it doesn't MATTER shich side of the car you are sitting on.

My car was just delivered about an hour ago and yes there is a problem. I don't remember having the problem when I drove an 06, but that may have been before I got my new perscription.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
First - no sunglasses knock out glare on/from flat surfaces (like the roadway in front of you) like ones with polarized lenses.
Yes, I realize this. I use polarized sunglasses much of the time, myself (and have no problem with them, BTW).

Second - who said anything about tilting thier head and having the problem. When you tilt your head the problem goes away.
Uhhh ... that would be the original poster, who said (and I quote) "... I have noticed this before, but only when I tilted my head 90 degrees on other vehicle displays."

And it doesn't MATTER shich side of the car you are sitting on.
Well, I have to differ, Don. This exact thing has been the subject of discussions on the TL forum, the Infiniti M35/45 forum, and on the Nissan Maxima forum, to name only a few. And many of the posters have said they can see fine from the passenger side of the screen, but not from the driver's side (or vice-versa).

And a few of them have actually taken the screen cover off and reversed it, and "fixed" the problem. Unfortunately, it only moved it to the other side of the vehicle.

While I appreciate the merits of polarized sunglasses and lenses (I'm also a hobbyist photographer), I still can't believe someone would actually suggest getting a different car just because their sunglasses didn't work well. You may find it entirely understandable, but I think it's ludicrous. But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yes, I realize this. I use polarized sunglasses much of the time, myself (and have no problem with them, BTW).

Uhhh ... that would be the original poster, who said (and I quote) "... I have noticed this before, but only when I tilted my head 90 degrees on other vehicle displays."

Well, I have to differ, Don. This exact thing has been the subject of discussions on the TL forum, the Infiniti M35/45 forum, and on the Nissan Maxima forum, to name only a few. And many of the posters have said they can see fine from the passenger side of the screen, but not from the driver's side (or vice-versa).

And a few of them have actually taken the screen cover off and reversed it, and "fixed" the problem. Unfortunately, it only moved it to the other side of the vehicle.

While I appreciate the merits of polarized sunglasses and lenses (I'm also a hobbyist photographer), I still can't believe someone would actually suggest getting a different car just because their sunglasses didn't work well. You may find it entirely understandable, but I think it's ludicrous. But that's just my opinion.

No - I agree with you on not getting a different car. But the first poster said it happened when he tilted his head in other cars - not the RL. Since this is the RL forum - isn't that what we are discussing?

I really no reason to visit forums for cars that I have no interest in. Frankly, there hasn't been a car that has really grabbed me since the BMW 2002. I'll have to look at it again from the passenger side, but it appeared to be the same, and also investigate rotating the cover this weekend - but right now my wife wants to go drive her new car.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
No - I agree with you on not getting a different car. But the first poster said it happened when he tilted his head in other cars - not the RL. Since this is the RL forum - isn't that what we are discussing?

I really no reason to visit forums for cars that I have no interest in. Frankly, there hasn't been a car that has really grabbed me since the BMW 2002. I'll have to look at it again from the passenger side, but it appeared to be the same, and also investigate rotating the cover this weekend - but right now my wife wants to go drive her new car.
LOL. It appeared to me the discussion had gone beyond just the RL to apply to the general subject of polarized lenses and nav screens. But you're right, the RL is what we're interested in here.

BTW, I ran into those other discussions when I actually owned those cars and participated in their forums. This really IS a kind of universal subject for car forums, since a lot of people do like polarized sunglasses. What I can't completely figure out is why some people have trouble with it and others don''t, unless it does have to do with the orientation of the LCD's cover.

Hope you're enjoying your new car otherwise.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I wear Maui Jim polarized lenses with no problems on the NAV, MID, or upper info display in my RL.

In my Odyssey, I have some polarized Hobies, and again no problem with the NAV display.

As an experiment for those with a problem with their polarized lenses, what happens if you turn your sunglasses upside-down and look at the NAV display? Maybe the prescription lenses were made with the polarization upside-down. Or, if its the NAV display that is the problem, maybe you got a screen intended for right-hand drive.

I only wear polarized sunglasses bacause of their anti-reflective capabilites (especially good for eliminating dashboard reflections), so I would have to think hard about whether I could tolerate a car where a major display was not readable.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Instructor

300 SEL 6.3 Of course - here is another car that "grabbed" me.

Never drove one of these - but I did "borrow" a 600 with a 6.3 that I found sitting on a MB dealer's lot in Santa Monica one night in about 1974 with the keys in the ignition. Quite a fun drive on Mullholland. Put it back where I found it when I was done.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Instructor

BTW - the polarized issue may be less then it first appeared - more to follow.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida

Come on guys, this was all tongue in cheek on this, sort of obvious.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Racer

polarized glasses r ok

I use polarized glasses and the nav screen is fine. Looking out the windows is weird though.. When I look out the side windows they have like a prism effect.. I don't care though.. You get used to it.

Quick Reply: Question on Main Display and polarized sun glasses