Picture of Drive Shaft Center Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Picture of Drive Shaft Center Bearing

This is what the repair shop gave me back to me when I paid them $600 to replace the center drive shaft bearing, and u-joints, and rebalance the drive shaft. It didn't fix the whining problem though...so either the bearing they put on was also shit, the bearing isn't the problem, or they lied to me. The bearing looks suspiciously small but they have always been honest with me in the past so I have no reason to believe they lied to me. So if you were wondering what was (according to honda) causing the whining problem with the drive shafts here it is

Picture of Drive Shaft Center Bearing-s2yfggg.jpg
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
There are no serviceable parts on the prop shaft in the honda catalog. That's not to say a driveshaft shop couldn't simply press in a new bearing but if swapping out the center bearing was the fix, honda would have done it years ago when they were sending out new carbon props every time someone complained of this noise. Hav u crawled up underneath to see what your 'new' shaft looks like?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I thought your noise was the impending doom of your diff.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Its because its cold.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sOLLEx
There are no serviceable parts on the prop shaft in the honda catalog. That's not to say a driveshaft shop couldn't simply press in a new bearing but if swapping out the center bearing was the fix, honda would have done it years ago when they were sending out new carbon props every time someone complained of this noise. Hav u crawled up underneath to see what your 'new' shaft looks like?
Yes they got the new bearing from "Precision Bearing Company" in Omaha, NE which is where I am located. I am going to look under it soon to see what it looks like, I know I won't be able to see the bearing anyway so I wasn't in any rush. I believe the reason Acura didn't have new bearings available is because the task is fairly complicated and the drive shaft has to be rebalanced among other things. Things I don't think the typical dealership shop is capable of, but I wouldn't no for sure.

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I thought your noise was the impending doom of your diff.
Yes first the differential went bad and was causing a high pitched whine/grinding noise. I had the differential replaced with a used one I picked up cheap, then I noticed I now had the propeller shaft whine that occurs between 32-35 mph and the driveshaft is cold.

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Its because its cold.
Yes the noise occurs when it is cold and does not occur when the temperature reaches above a certain threshold. Regardless something is still wrong with the drive shaft.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt W
Yes they got the new bearing from "Precision Bearing Company" in Omaha, NE which is where I am located. I am going to look under it soon to see what it looks like, I know I won't be able to see the bearing anyway so I wasn't in any rush. I believe the reason Acura didn't have new bearings available is because the task is fairly complicated and the drive shaft has to be rebalanced among other things. Things I don't think the typical dealership shop is capable of, but I wouldn't no for sure.

Yes first the differential went bad and was causing a high pitched whine/grinding noise. I had the differential replaced with a used one I picked up cheap, then I noticed I now had the propeller shaft whine that occurs between 32-35 mph and the driveshaft is cold.

Yes the noise occurs when it is cold and does not occur when the temperature reaches above a certain threshold. Regardless something is still wrong with the drive shaft.
Replacing the bearing doesn't fix the driveshaft whine. If it did, Acura would have pursued that as a fix, since the driveshaft alone costs more than $2k. It would have saved Acura a lot of money in warranty repairs if the fix were so simple. I seem to recall some early attempts (years ago) to fix it by replacing the bearing, but it didn't work.

I had the bearing on my driveshaft go a few thousand miles after the powertrain warranty expired. I had complained about it prior to the expiration, and ultimately Acura covered half of the cost of the repair.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the whine and it's getting louder, I guess I need to get this diagnosed by the dealer when it goes in for a leaky power steering pump. If something is worn then my extended warranty should cover it. If the bearing does nor cause the whine, what does?